Mangagamer licenses Tokyo Babel (and Propeller's kusoge)

Clephas

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-07-25/mangagamer-adds-propeller-tokyo-babel-the-shadows-of-pygmalion-visual-novels/.90885

I was really surprised and pleased to see Tokyo Babel is getting a localization... mostly because it is one of my top favorites and a bit too difficult for most readers just starting in Japanese.  This VN has a great story, great characters, and a unique art style that generally looks awesome, especially for battles.

Unfortunately, they also announced one of Propeller's two kusoge (both relatively recent releases), Negai no Kakera to Hagugin no Agreement (Shadows of Pygmalion: https://vndb.org/v12072 ).  It is a non-ero yurige and utsuge that is incredibly short, lacking in general on content, and has innumerable game-breaking bugs that were never quite fully addressed by later patches (basically the game crashes randomly on scenes with animation and some CGs, making it impossible to progress the story).  The story itself makes little sense, which makes things worse... and the characters are so flat that I fell into a deep blood rage after playing the VN, because I'd never imagined Propeller would create something so awful. 

I can't help but wonder what fit of insanity drove them to decide to localize Pygmalion... though it is probably because both Pygmalion and Tokyo Babel are visually beautiful non-ero VNs.

Yurirei looks like the best yurige to be translated so far though

Oh I didn't know they were translating another yuri game, I guess it's not all bad news then.

To be fair though, given my shit taste, I'll probably enjoy this reported kusoge because I'm a huge yuri fag  :makina:

... Pygmalion makes moege look good in comparison.  *deadly serious*

Also, Tokyo Babel is right up there with Dies Irae and Devils Devel Concept in my top ten, lol.  The story does resemble an SMT game in the sense that it is post-apocalypse... the difference is that the demons, humans, and angels are all equally screwed and desperate to find a way to survive (and not be driven insane).

Unfortunately, they also announced one of Propeller's two kusoge (both relatively recent releases), Negai no Kakera to Hagugin no Agreement (Shadows of Pygmalion: https://vndb.org/v12072 ).  It is a non-ero yurige and utsuge that is incredibly short, lacking in general on content, and has innumerable game-breaking bugs that were never quite fully addressed by later patches (basically the game crashes randomly on scenes with animation and some CGs, making it impossible to progress the story).  The story itself makes little sense, which makes things worse... and the characters are so flat that I fell into a deep blood rage after playing the VN, because I'd never imagined Propeller would create something so awful. 

You say that, but it's highly rated on VNDB.  I'm not saying VNDB is a reliable source of ratings for Japanese-language VNs, but even the machine translation fanboy crowd wouldn't rate a game highly that they couldn't finish due to bugs that make it impossible to progress through the story.  Therefore I remain somewhat skeptical of your assessment, and that accusation in particular.

Also, on EGS the game has a score of 70 (26 votes), which suggests that while the game is much less popular than Propeller's other titles, it's not as terrible as you suggest.  It's also worth mentioning that Tokyo Babel has an EGS score of 73 (105 votes), which suggests your assessment might be a bit biased...

Although, since your tastes are somewhat similar to mine, that bias may be informative in this particular circumstance.

Well this is good news. Negai no Kakera aside, which I haven't played. Tokyo babel I have, and it's a great vn. So more people getting to read it is great. The translator(s) will no doubt have fun looking up all the Christian mythology in the vn..

Some sensitive people might be slightly offended perhaps with the religious stuff that is in the vn though..

You basically have to hold down the skip button to get past those bugged points, meaning you end up missing the lines during those points, Sanahtlig.  Also, most of the top voters on that one are well-known troll voters and bots that either go back and rate VNs highly that they haven't played or pre-rate VNs before they are released...

Edit: Also, EGS scores are biased toward moege and certain types of popular nukige, so they aren't a reliable judge of any other genre.

Edit2: I consider those bugs 'game-breaking' because they force you to skip past interesting points in the story rather than read through them, and even with later patches, the bugs continue to pop up, which is worse...

Edit3: @Bolverk- Yeah, I agree that some Christians will probably be driven up the wall by some of the more sensitive material... such as references to how Catholic apocrypha basically repurposes deities from old pantheons to serve as angels or demons.  The funny thing is, the Japanese probably didn't mean it as a poke at Christianity... because Japanese culture tends think of multi-aspected deities and deities that change their nature over time as being normal.  Different ways of thinking lead to interesting differences in interpretation sometimes.

You basically have to hold down the skip button to get past those bugged points, meaning you end up missing the lines during those points, Sanahtlig.  Also, most of the top voters on that one are well-known troll voters and bots that either go back and rate VNs highly that they haven't played or pre-rate VNs before they are released...

Edit: Also, EGS scores are biased toward moege and certain types of popular nukige, so they aren't a reliable judge of any other genre.

That means the judgement from one single person is also not that reliable, I guess? No offence.

It isn't like I'm bashing it because it is a yurige... tbh I've found it easy to enjoy yurige as long as they aren't nukige.  However, this game in particular is fairly awful... the good visuals just make the comparison with the stories all the worse.  The flat characters and massive plot holes just happened to combine with the bugs in the game system to make the game as a whole a kusoge.

I am really excited for Tokyo Babel, but not because I want to read it in English. I'll probably read it beforehand in Japanese, and then hype all of my friends who might be interested in a chuuni VN. Since it's an all-ages title, it might be the perfect thing to use to introduce them into the medium.

I'm interested in Tokyo Babylon/Babel because of the shin megami tensei effect and honestly it looks like it could be decent from the description. The other game Pygmalion though just sounds bad and I have no interest in it.

I really enjoy some things that Clephas hates (Steins;Gate), so maybe I'll enjoy Pygmalion. 

He doesn't hate Steins; Gate, he just doesn't think the Science series is as good as other games Nitroplus has worked on.  I disagree that Demonbane is better than Steins; Gate however, at least in English.  I found Demonbane to be above average but not otherwise notable.

lol... I don't hate Steins;Gate... I just don't have a strong enough interest in it to open it up and play it.  I did buy it though, since I want Jast to keep localizing Nitroplus and 5pb games.

Edit:  It isn't that I don't think it is as good as their other games (prior to Sumaga and including Muramasa).  In fact, I have little doubt that it is a good game, considering how people praise it up one side and down the other almost universally.  The concept just doesn't have me all that interested.  I didn't like Chaos;Head because of the protagonist (his type grates on my nerves for similar reasons to the 'average guy' moege protag type).  It is hard for me to pull out a game I rejected once, and I'm not really interested in playing English versions at all...  I have the Japanese pc version somewhere in my boxes of VNs, but it is just hanging in my backlog like any number of games.

Edit2: Like a lot of VNs I originally rejected, I'm saving it for a 'rainy day', when I literally have nothing else to play.  For me, that is actually a significant possibility, so don't be surprised if it pops up on my random VNs sometime in the next few years, lol.

I can't help but wonder what fit of insanity drove them to decide to localize Pygmalion... though it is probably because both Pygmalion and Tokyo Babel are visually beautiful non-ero VNs.

Can't say I agree with that decision either, glad I had specified I'd only work on Higashide's games.

Yurirei looks like the best yurige to be translated so far though

It's the best yuri visual novel afaik, at least given the reactions in Japan (I'm no big fan of the genre so I might have missed some, but ppl certainly seem to like it better than Flowers).

Well this is good news. Negai no Kakera aside, which I haven't played. Tokyo babel I have, and it's a great vn. So more people getting to read it is great. The translator(s) will no doubt have fun looking up all the Christian mythology in the vn..

Some sensitive people might be slightly offended perhaps with the religious stuff that is in the vn though..

I've already waded through Book of Biblical Antiquities to find out how to actually spell "Gethel's" name correctly (thanks katakana). Luckily, I'm both into Christian Mythology and Megaten games.

I can assume that it has to do with the large number of requests to obtain as much yuri as possible, from the answers given on their Survey. Seeing as MG already manage to get SonoHana, and Yurirei for the light-hearted side of yuri, maybe they thought why not get a yuri game that goes at a different approach? Even if the yuri game in question is... err... pretty bad.

Tokyo Babel = Megaten made by the Ayakashibito writer?  Same level as Dies Irae!?

My interest is increasing.

Do we have a release date yet, and is it coming out on Steam?  What's the estimated pricepoint?  I think up above it said it was non-eroge but I don't know for sure.

Tokyo Babel = Megaten made by the Ayakashibito writer?  Same level as Dies Irae!?

My interest is increasing.

Do we have a release date yet, and is it coming out on Steam?  What's the estimated pricepoint?  I think up above it said it was non-eroge but I don't know for sure.

There is only a 15+ release, so there should be plans for releases on STEAM.

For a 30-50hr visual novel, i can bet it'll be about $35 on steam (around Princess Evangile's price range).