Horror/thriller/mystery recs please?

AaronIsCrunchy

Hey, so I've been around these parts for a month(-ish?) now and I figure I might try and make sense of the many hundreds of VNs discussed and thrown around these forums. So, I was wondering if some of you guys would be able to help me. I've read Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Saya no Uta, Fate Stay/Night, Y;N, Danganronpa and Everlasting Summer, and have was wondering where I should go next with horror/thriller/mystery titles.

My only stipulation is that I'd rather there were either no H-Scenes or short ones, as drawn out moan-fests get pretty dull after not a colossal amount of time. I'd also like them to either have an English patch or not to be too difficult to read in Japanese - while I'm learning at the moment, I'd like to take less than a year to read it ;) Thank you in advance!

I'll second Phenomeno and Umineko as they fulfill all 3 genres.

For thrillers, you can't go wrong with G-senjou no Maou, though not much of a mystery.

Remember11, 999, and VLR are good thrillers too, with atmospheres which can creep you out in some bad endings.

Shikkoku no Sharnoth is horror mystery. It's slow-paced, but the prose more than makes up for it, unless you dislike it.

Thanks for the recommendations so far, I'll try and check out as many of these as possible ^_^ Is Chaos;Head related to Steins;Gate at all, and would Steins;Gate also fit?

also, prey for mangagamer to license this soon: https://vndb.org/v37

I was looking at this only last week, the art looks sooooo good <3

Thanks for the recommendations so far, I'll try and check out as many of these as possible ^_^ Is Chaos;Head related to Steins;Gate at all, and would Steins;Gate also fit?

I was looking at this only last week, the art looks sooooo good <3

Same series, that's all. Steins;Gate fits mystery/thriller, but Chaos;head (I'm assuming) fits all three.

btw dont prey on mangagamer I think that might be illegal.

I meant pray, but that was hopefully quite obvious lol.

Also another VN with a dead translation (someone should really pick this up, it looks and should be quite insane, according to most people)

https://vndb.org/v1200

I thought it was just stalled since the TL'er was working on SubaHibi.

Speaking of which, add SubaHibi to the list for all three genres. The editing is almost done. Hopefully we'll get it end of July/early August.

btw dont prey on mangagamer I think that might be illegal.

I meant pray, but that was hopefully quite obvious lol.

Also another VN with a dead translation (someone should really pick this up, it looks and should be quite insane, according to most people)

https://vndb.org/v1200

Don't worry, I figured that one out :3 The orange tinting makes everything look quite unsettling, and... those death scenes. Will check.

read the Bishoujo Mangekyou series, its jap is not that hard & each episodes are short, but mostly great. should fulfill your desires. otherwise there´s also Zombie no Afureta Sekai de Ore Dake ga Osowarenai to read, its quite pleasent

zombie no afureta has been quite pleasant to read as a total newbie at reading japanese, I'll recommend it as well.

Nanairo Reincarnation is not too hard and it fits your bill (though it is a comedy/horror/mystery/mild-mindfuck)... if you want, I'll give you a crash course in understanding Japanese ideas of ghosts, spirits, and the like so you won't feel lost, lol. 

I don't mind really. I suppose I'm more into psychological horror than blood and gore, but as long as it evokes feelings of unease, fear or tension (at which point it becomes a bit of a crossover with thrillers to be honest) then it's good. Something that plays with the mind, I suppose.

depending on how good you´re in reading/understanding jap, you might want to try some novels from elf, or age, as they tend to be quite into psychological horror & stuff.

edit: there´s also that one fucked up novel, which´s name i´ve forgotten & wont look up right now, the one pretty darn high rated & full of crazy stuff. ghosts & rape/gay/yuri whatoever else. shouldnt be hard to find on vndb, think the preview looked like some early 90s video game :P hope someone comes up with the name, though, cause its been a really nice read. mansion - bunch of boys & girls - ghosts (one is the mc´s sister) - mc´s father & stuff - rape/murder/sex regardless of gender - rape & whatever

• 4 weeks later...

I have to second the 999 (aka 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors) recommendation. It fits all three categories. It's for the DS though, so you need to have a DS, 3DS or an emulator and a ROM (the game file) to play it.

Virtue's Last Reward is also amazing (my favorite VN actually) but it's a direct sequel to 999 so you gotta play 999 first.

Remember11-the age of infinity- fits thriller-mystery very well. 

There's Danganronpa 2 for PS Vita, which you'll most probably enjoy if you liked the first Danganronpa.