The Future of Physical Media for VN Distribution + Poll

sanahtlig

VN distribution  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How'd you like to get your VNs?

This poll is closed to new votes

USB drives are as prone to damage as CD's or any other physical storage devices. I don't really mind them, tho - it's just another step in terms of progression; if it will make things better and more convinient, I'm fine with that. On the other side, they are definately much less appealing from a collector's perspective than, let's say, boxed edition of games.

You should also add a choice for both/everything is fine.

I more or less copied JAST's poll.  I figured they listed the choices they were interested in hearing about.

From a consumer perspective USB flash drives are functionally superior.  My main concern is that the cost of the flash drives would be greater than DVDs, and that cost would be passed down to consumers.  On the other hand, I plan to get an ultrabook at some point, and DVDs won't be all that useful to me then.  Well, a hard copy is just as much for others as myself.  I can stuff games onto large 64GB+ flash drives (which I do already), but it's easier to sell a person on a game when you hand them a pretty package that makes them feel like you're doing them a favor by making them play X game.

USB drives are actually more susceptible to damage than even CD/DVDs. First off unless the drives are kept in an air tight box the dust will damage them just as much as any cd and the usbs being smaller means a more likely chance for people to lose them and honestly usb drives are very prone to decay and other types of damages. I think that if a new way of distribution is going to be necessary it needs to be a type of physical media and a digital download (both of them). If that means a switch to usb drives for the physical media option (but put them in a collector's box) so be it but they should not charge extra for a drm free download either. Discs may last about 8-10 years but usb drives often die after 5 years of non-use and are easily corrupted as well. Most people I think mainly want to make sure they still get a nice box so as long as they keep the box and just replace the disc with a flash drive I'd probably be fine with it...if it comes with something to obtain the download in the case the usb drive fails. 

The other major question I have is whether or not usb drives would increase or decrease the cost of production and the overall sale price? 

I like DVDs because I'm used to, and I like having some kind of packaging I can put on my shelves.

I absolutely hate downloading. It's like buying thin air. I dont' like it. I want a physical copy.

The new USB thing is an okay alternative. I'm still really not a fan.

I can compare the thing to books. I like having them in my shelves, and not on a graphic tablet. Personnal preference really.

My preferred method is digital.

I'm not much of a collector anymore; my personality's a little too obsessive for that. In the past when I collected films and comic books, I'd often get too side tracked from focusing on filling in the gaps in my collection that it hurt my enjoyment of the stuff I bought. Since I'm not really into collecting VNs or just having a box + leaflet that I'd never otherwise look at but a couple of times laying around, digital is the most convenient choice - nearly immediately available and you don't have to leave the house or wait for shipping.

As for dvd for usb, which is the cheaper delivery method production side anyway?

While I like the weightiness of DVD/CD's I think having it on a specific flashdrive would be a pretty cool thing to do. It still gives allows it to be a tangible purchase (my main issue with download) but the durability would be much better... so yeah. Here's to the future and all that!

(Though this being said, I expect that physical, book forms of artbooks will always have their place. To have those completely replaced by digital, be it on a disk or a download, would be sad)

A thing to keep in mind is that most VN-players are used to downloads, so it is kind of predictable that more would prefer it.  Most VN-players tend to be pragmatic about it... 'However I can get it' has been the tradition of the community almost since it started.

Stick the USB in a flashy box and I am in.

Physical for sure. I like the collection feel.

I'd take the USB storage... If they put it in big boxes like the DVD cases

This.

I don't really care what the format is so long I still get my pretty boxes for display.