The Future of Physical Media for VN Distribution + Poll

sanahtlig

VN distribution  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How'd you like to get your VNs?

This poll is closed to new votes

JAST USA created a thread a few months ago to solicit customer feedback on new age distribution options for their games.  One of the proposed options was the USB flash drive.

usb-game-concept.jpg?1424669877

I expressed my skepticism at the time, but recently it was announced that Windows 10 would be released on flash drives, quelling my practical concerns about bitrot (Microsoft wouldn't commit to a distribution scheme for something as important as an OS that wasn't thoroughly vetted).

Opinions?  Alternative ideas?

CDs are so much more subject to damage than USBs are, half of my old games on CDs don't work anymore due to how damaged they arr. Not to mention physical storage space, multi GB games can require several CDs (usually not a problem with VNs though) which fills up your shelves pretty quickly, but a USB greatly increases data storage space constrictions while maintaining a small physical size so you don't take as much shelf space.

USBs look more appealing to me, personally.

Though I never buy physical releases of anything (until the day Europe fixes their shit), so I don't really care much.

I kind of snicker at the concept that eroge releases might one day be reduced to trading cards.

"I match your Hanachirasu with a Saya no Uta, and raise you a Littlewitch Romanesque."

"I don't have any loli-ge to match that."

"I'll take a Seinarukana as collateral."

"Fuck you.  I haven't even played that yet."

I kind of snicker at the concept that eroge releases might one day be reduced to trading cards.

"I match your Hanachirasu with a Saya no Uta, and raise you a Littlewitch Romanesque."

Until putting everything on flash drives becomes so common that I'm forced to take part in it, I'll stick to downloads and disks for just about everything.  I'm not someone that immediately jumps on board when some new tech idea is announced; Windows 8 made sure of that.  If it turns out to be such a good idea, then I'll probably take part in it, but until then, I'll remain rather skeptical.

Optical media degrades over time, even if you don't scratch the surface.  Customers have reported that JAST CDs / DVDs sold 10+ years ago frequently cannot be installed from anymore, even those that were maintained in very good condition.

The advantage of USB flash drives isn't just durability--the transfer rate is also much faster.  A good USB flash drive can be read from faster than a hard drive can write the data.  Hell, with a good USB flash drive you wouldn't even need to install games in the first place--it would be its own DRM, since the data would stay on the drive, and user data like save files could be written directly to it as well (except for a device-specific configuration file perhaps).  It would be the ultimate in portability, freeing up valuable storage space in a time where storage is at a premium (if you don't want to rely on spinning rust drives).

Definitely a physical media of some kind.  I don't care which.  Digital is all well and good... if it is a centralized service similar to Steam, where you can re-download infinitely through your account.  However, there is nothing quite like the feel of a physical copy in hand...

They forgot to include a scale on the mock-up, didn't they?  Each USB card in the picture is the size of a credit card.  That's your new "box".  You'll be able to carry your eroge collection around with you wherever you go.  Like family photos!  Think of the icebreaking possibilities!

Digital for sure. Have to be discreet with VNs.For all age releases maybe I would buy the physical release but even then I would be a little hesitant. Maybe if my gf breaks up with me and I live alone I would buy physical copies but until then downloads all the way.

Digital, definitely. I've been installing Windows using USB sticks for a while though, and it's pretty neat since I can just bundle my must-have software with it, and keep it around somewhere safe. Looking forward to buying Windows 10 on a stick, someday.

For software it's kind of silly though. Screw your DRM. But I guess JAST would have to release some more games in the first place for this poll to become relevant, eh.