Otakon2015 Announcements & Discussion

kyrt

lolwut, that doesn't look good..

I didn't know Otakon was a thing, are things streamed live or are there any vids of it?

I guess this one: http://bayoab.info/live/live2.php?panel=0&refresh=1

As for MG annoucements:

Partnership 1# : ?

Partnership 2# : ?

Title 1#: Aoiro Rinne (The chances are VERY high for this one)

Title 2#: Supipara (Don't know if it'll count as annoucement? The money should be gathered by the end of steam sales-16/17 June)

Title 3#: ?

As for Aoiro Rinne I guess the rights were pretty cheap and they had translated 50+~~% of it. I don't think it'll sell well though. 

Personally I would rather pay 40~~$ for some high quality VNs(Grisaia/Clannad) than 5-15$ for something mediocre, but that's my opinion(I also hate original VNs on KS made in english language without voices or with english ones... And I really don't like what SP is doing with helping really small Kickstarter VNs with publishing etc.)

Sekai also have something up their sleeve.

Chaos;Head will probably be released by JAST or maybe MG ? Who knows.

Unfortunately it's over 90% probability that it's https://vndb.org/v1904

https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/3dq4yp/mangagamer_hints_dies_irae/ct7q2m4

What a shame :( ...

Why?

- That's pretty old title

- Ratings on vndb doesn't look good(super-average)

- Company doesn't have any good VNs, and it's probably dead?

Meh not really hyped for that to be honest.

We don't know yet if it's true that it is Aoiro Rinne..

I still think they will announce something from Navel maybe Ore-tachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai ? :ph34r:

I hate teasers, and I hate waiting even more :/.

(Here is hopeing for a wonder and that they pull out Eushully....) :wub:

Im gonna write an open letter to mangagamer if aoiro Rinne is the VN that they are gonna announce. I honestly feel like its taking a giant piss on VN fans, like what do they expect? its not like its a franchise like call of duty where they can produce sucky games and people will buy them anyway. 

Who are you to say that it's a sucky game? Don't get too influenced by the 17 ratings on VNDB, that's a really tiny sample size and most people there seemed to actually kind of like it. 

They are going to announce five titles, and not all are going to appeal to you, that's the way of things.

Im gonna write an open letter to mangagamer if aoiro Rinne is the VN that they are gonna announce. I honestly feel like its taking a giant piss on VN fans, like what do they expect? its not like its a franchise like call of duty where they can produce sucky games and people will buy them anyway. 

You seem like you had your expectations betrayed, but those expectations were nothing but fan speculations. There's no reason to be upset about a game you know literally nothing about.

Besides, votes on vnbb on untranslated VNs are worthless. Most people vote based on CGs or whatever and haven't played the game. The 3 people that for sure know japanese and played the game there have rated it 7.9, 7.2 and 9. That doesn't seem terrible at all.

I've been looking forward to the Aoiro Rinne patch anyways, so I'd actually be excited if that turned out to be their announcement.

As for Dies, I feel like I'm one of the few people here who has no interest in it whatsoever, so while it would be an incredible announcement, I don't have any personal hopes for it.

I'd be perfectly happy if it was Aoiro Rinne.  I've actually been looking forward to this title.  It has fantasy and NTR, which is unexplored territory for Mangagamer.  It's by developer Mu, which is an offshoot of Mink--and Mink makes some titles I'm somewhat fond of.

Also, for those whining about Aoiro Rinne's quality: it's rated 79 with 245 votes on EGS, which is better than the vast majority of games Mangagamer works on.  I'm not sure why people are trying to use VNDB ratings to judge untranslated titles.  The VNDB score is NOT reliable for untranslated titles, especially ones without gameplay. 

I'd be perfectly happy if it was Aoiro Rinne.  I've actually been looking forward to this title.  It has fantasy and NTR, which is unexplored territory for Mangagamer.  It's by developer Mu, which is an offshoot of Mink--and Mink makes some titles I'm somewhat fond of.

Also, for those whining about Aoiro Rinne's quality: it's rated 79 with 245 votes on EGS, which is better than the vast majority of games Mangagamer works on.  I'm not sure why people are trying to use VNDB votes to judge untranslated titles.  The VNDB score is NOT reliable for untranslated titles, especially ones without gameplay. 

I said sorry okay ;W;

Honestly I don't think the age of the visual novel automatically makes a game bad. Take YU-NO for example that's an old game but it's also a great game. Age does not equate to quality. VNDB is also not the tell all be all of visual novel reviews...you're honestly more likely to find more accurate reviews and opinions on fuwa reviews than on vndb. I think Aoiro Rinne sounds interesting and that mangagamer would not have picked it up unless they thought they could make a profit off of it. Sure it may be old but that does not mean a thing.

Mangagamer has two new partnerships you have to remember if Aoiro Rinne is one of the games and the partnership is with Mink or Mu then we still have one additional partnership we do not yet know...and that's only assuming Aoiro Rinne and Mu is even correct in the first place.

Also, for those whining about Aoiro Rinne's quality: it's rated 79 with 245 votes on EGS, which is better than the vast majority of games Mangagamer works on.  I'm not sure why people are trying to use VNDB votes to judge untranslated titles.  The VNDB score is NOT reliable for untranslated titles, especially ones without gameplay. 

Yeah, my bad. Still, I'm just sad that there's so many better japanese VNs untranslated. I'm just starving for some more titles from this companies: http://forums.fuwanovel.net/topic/10879-top-10-most-wanted-licensestranslations/

And what we're getting are VNs from some less known/wanted companies. I hope that one company from this thread will be new partner for MG. That's right that they'll probably want more money for license etc. but I think that they'll sell better than Aoiro Rinne for example.

Sounds pretty chuuni to me, which is a largely unexplored genre for MangaGamer. There are rumors of a possible Propeller announcement, do they have any games that fit that quote? I can't think of any suitable games from them. I still wouldn't put much stock in that rumor at all, seems like a pretty unlikely one to me. I just want to say it at loud which is something I didn't do a few weeks ago with Haruka, even though that did leak out ahead of time, I dismissed it as unlikely and never brought it up. So, never say never...

In other news, the primary translator/TLCer who worked on Steins;Gate for JAST teased something to do with Chaos;Head, so that may be a thing. 

Ayakashibito would be one for sure. Though it already has a fan translation

Yeah, my bad. Still, I'm just sad that there's so many better japanese VNs untranslated. I'm just starving for some more titles from this companies: http://forums.fuwanovel.net/topic/10879-top-10-most-wanted-licensestranslations/

And what we're getting are VNs from some less known/wanted companies. I hope that one company from this thread will be new partner for MG. That's right that they'll probably want more money for license etc. but I think that they'll sell better than Aoiro Rinne for example.

Mangagamer already had their amazing partnership announcement of the year: Alicesoft.  Alicesoft is on par with the companies in that list.

I think you're being unreasonable.  Mangagamer can't go up to any company they want and secure a license.  Peter Payne of JAST USA has said it himself: failure to connect with these companies is usually not an issue of money.  The primary issue is that many of the most popular companies don't WANT to license their titles for overseas release.  There's little JAST or Mangagamer can do about that except license what games they can, try to gain some notoriety, and hope that these companies change their mind.  The reason JAST and Mangagamer license titles from lesser known companies is simply that there's many more lesser known companies to choose from, yielding more chances to come across a company that's actually interested in overseas releases.  Another factor is that Japanese companies are extremely conservative and they often won't take the leap to do an overseas release unless their financial situation is looking pretty bad.  Popular companies tend to be well funded, so they're often less interested in overseas releases--why take a risky venture overseas (which could trigger another backlash event) when domestic business is booming?

Related: "For sale in Japan only": A Japanese developer's perspective on the eroge embargo

Could it be Dies Irea?  There was this https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/3dq4yp/mangagamer_hints_dies_irae/ Thread on reddit that speculate it could be DI.

I'm thoroughly amused that my translation became the subject of an entire speculation thread on Reddit, complete with inferences based on my specific word choice.  I can now consider my life's work accomplished.

Doddler said today that none of the MangaGamer titles have previously had fan projects for them, so that rules out Baldr Sky from the list of commonly speculated on titles. I never had hope for that, anyways.

A lot of fans are speculating one of them might be Albatross Koukairoku which would be amazing but I'm pretty skeptical on that. They'll probably wait until Gahkthun is out before announcing more Liar-Soft titles, but personally Albatross is their most appealing non-WAB title to me, so I hope they do that some day. 

taken from the muvluv facebook page:

Hi Everyone,

Our friends at Sekai Project will be having a panel this Saturday at Otakon. https://www.facebook.com/events/786638101457423/

They’ll be showing a special video message from Yoshimune-san and will also be raffling off some sketches from official Muv-Luv artists. We’ll have the video available on Youtube shortly after.

Aside from preparing for Otakon, we've been also hammering out details regarding backer rewards, stretch goals, Kickstarter video and many other info with ixtl. However, we're still trying our best to get all of the sketch requests done, and we'll send a message to everyone who signed up for the drawings soon. Cheers, and thank you for patiently waiting!

11667254_1109320192428787_46415685791325
Sekai Project Industry Panel - Otakon 2015
Saturday, July 25 at 3:15pm in EDT

Otakon - Panel 4 (BCC 341-342)

We can probably expect more announcements then and I wouldn't be surprised to see G-Senjou no Maou release date announced if they are as close to release as they've been saying.

taken from the muvluv facebook page:

Hi Everyone,

Our friends at Sekai Project will be having a panel this Saturday at Otakon. https://www.facebook.com/events/786638101457423/

They’ll be showing a special video message from Yoshimune-san and will also be raffling off some sketches from official Muv-Luv artists. We’ll have the video available on Youtube shortly after.

That's rather bizarre.  First, the MuvLuv social media people are implying that they don't work for IXTL, which begs the question: who ARE they working for?  Second, they're handing off the convention announcement to Sekai Project rather than doing it themselves.  Again, that begs the question of exactly what role Sekai Project has in all this.  The operations of the MuvLuv group are completely shrouded in mystery.  It's kind of weird, since there's hints that this is an AGE initiative, yet IXTL is apparently calling the shots, and a completely different group is running the social media campaign.  And then there's Degica; it's not clear what their role is in all of this.  Are all of these different players going to be able to communicate to actually see this project through...?

The social media folks are being paid by Degica. Degica is running the show, and they're just using Sekai Project's convention panels to increase awareness as much as possible, probably because they're afraid they'll be noticed less because they're a newcomer to the scene, but they picked such a big title that I don't think that should be a concern. IXTL is owned by Age and is basically a brand management subsidiary, and are the ones primarily interacting with Degica for all of this. IXTL also handles adaptations, merchandising, and other such licensing deals within Japan. Sekai Project is probably just happy to get Muv Luv stuff on their panels to spice things up. They probably didn't need it in AX, but they'll need it for their Otakon panel which looks like it won't have any impressive announcements. Expect a small doujin title or two along with further news regarding their AX announcements.

Some hints from Garajei (Translater for Mangagamer) for one of the Otakon announcements.

"A group of brave butlers shall take to the skies to soar free like the noble albatross."

That could be a twin announcement of Bullet Butlers and Albatross Koukairoku.  That's where my money is, anyway.  Both Will and Liar-soft have already shown an interest in the English market, so these are actually feasible titles.

In other news, rumors abound that Sekai Project will soon announce its next title from Visual Arts.

Sekai Project's next target is [Visual Arts] sub-brand Studio Ring.

wu5dDOh.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/3dylt5/how_sekai_project_landed_visualartskey/ct9uyu1

That could be a twin announcement of Bullet Butlers and Albatross Koukairoku.  That's where my money is, anyway.  Both Will and Liar-soft have already shown an interest in the English market, so these are actually feasible titles.

Propeller partnership has been rumored for a few weeks now. Really, though, it's just a joke in reference to the #albatrossskybutlers meme going around in reference to the wishful speculation on reddit, 4chan, and elsewhere (the holy trinity of speculated titles being bullet butlers, albatross, and baldr sky). It's not an actual hint.