Otakon2015 Announcements & Discussion

kyrt

Otakon is coming up and we know at least two of the big visual novel companies are planning to be there.

Mangagamer Announcements: The five announcements have been made and info about them can be found below;

St5vEIy.jpg

Supipara: It is spring time and the main character after returning to his home town now finds himself on the committee for the school beauty contest but the contestants all have their own peculiarities and there is plenty of trouble to go around. This is the first chapter with sales of this doing well eventually getting the second chapter and possibly third chapters translated. This is the next title from Minori and it is all ages.

2. ME460i9.jpg

Kindred Spirits: Set in a prestigious all-girls high school, second-year student Yuna mysteriously gains the ability to see and speak with the ghosts of two long-dead former students; spirits which hope to get Yuna's help in setting forth a plan to create a Yuri-topia. This is the next game from Liar-Soft and is an 18+ yuri comedy title.

3. ClvW6u1.jpg

Tokyo Babel: Tokyo Babel begins its tale on the eve of the apocalypse: parallel worlds crumble in succession as the gate of Heaven are closed shut and Hell is irrevocably submerged in water. In a final, desperate attempt to set things right, the surviving angels and demons flock to the soaring purgatory of Tokyo Babel, intent on climbing Jacob's Ladder to reopen the Gate of Heaven and earn divine forgiveness. This is the first Propeller (new partner) title announced at the panel and it is all ages. 

4. EienEBq.jpg

Pygmalion: There are humanoid 'puppets' in the world who blend into society and manipulate history. However, no one knows where they come from nor who controls them. A game by the famed company Propeller this is an all ages title to be released by Mangagamer in the future.

5. T0flyPA.jpg

Princess Evangile W Happiness: Fandisc of Princess Evangile composing of 4 after stories for the main heroines and 5 short stories with new heroines. The next game by moonstone this one is apparently in high demand.

Sekai Project Announcements

1. g5r1mXF.jpg

Tenshin Ranman: Haruki is a hard-luck guy and trouble seems to always find him. One day he receives a parcel with a creature in it that is to help him remove his misfortune...unfortunately this new housemate may just be another cause of his misfortune. Will he be able to live a fortunate life and exactly what is this she creature's true purpose? Tenshin Ranman is a visual novel by the popular visual novel company Yuzusoft. This is the only all age and 18+ title in Yuzusoft's lineup so we can likely expect both all age and 18+ versions of their future other titles if this sells well.

2. GP9hv8b.jpg

Nenokami: A shoujo ai game by a relatively new amateur studio known as Kuro Irodoru Yomiji. The interesting thing is that this was announced before it was even released in Japan; the release date is Aug 16th 2015 in Japan and will come at a later date by Sekai Project. It seems to be a title with both an all ages version and an 18+ version but Sekai Project have only confirmed the all ages version at this time. 

3. iAhl0eX.jpg

Nekopara vol.0: A very short nekopara fandisc released by the visual novel company Neko Soft at the recent comiket this summer. The game is all ages although an artbook bundled with it was 18+.

4. oKJnXoj.jpg

Fault: Silence the Pedant: A prequel visual novel to Fault~Mile Stone One. This visual novel will be about how Ritona became the guardian for Selphine. It is by the company Alice in Dissonance and like other titles in this series is all ages.

5. qnfZLdO.png

: 5 Boys with magical powers must transform into womanly witches to fight aliens...this one is going up on Kickstarter in the future.

Other Announcements:

rEMgUjz.jpg

Magical Girl Chiru Chiru the magical girl spin-off of Grisaia no Kajitsu's trilogy is expected to release next week (end of July/beginning of August). Despite what the image shows the release is not expected to receive a vita release at this time. Caution: There may be some spoilers for the main trilogy (yes all 3 games) so read at your own risk. 2nd Caution: Chiru Chiru was translated by a different translator (not Koestl who is doing the main trilogy) because Frontwing wished to release it a year ahead of time (to coincide with the release of the anime trilogy).

G-Senjou no Maou is still planned to be released by the end of Summer.

w0D5CvM.jpg

WtiqNWc.jpg

Grisaia no Kajitsu Unrated is expected to be up on Denpasoft by the end of July or August.

This next one is not a visual novel but Sekai Project has announced they are getting into the manga market with the Manga of Gate which currently has an anime out right now which is from what people have said inferior to the manga.

0fyK13S.jpg

~~

Side Note:  for those wondering about 18+ versions: Sekai Project has more or less indirectly stated that we can probably expect 18+ versions of most titles with 18+ versions to be released via denpasoft.

"Directly when I Michiru. Descended silver of light cut through the pitch-black darkness soon, the curtain of the demise visit. Blood that flowed in the final decisive battle, it is evaporated in the burn out fate, a new world, the food of new of covenant. The Linnaeus does stop anymore. Still, whether that antidepressant?"

Bleh, machine Tl sure doesn't pull any punches~

Assumptions can be made - but I'll just wait and see what is revealed before I voice my guesses.

My translation:

Before long the time will come.  A silver light that cuts through pitch black darkness will descend at last, and the curtain of demise will fall upon this world.  The blood spilt from the final decisive battle, baked into the ashes of the end of days, will become nourishment for a new world and a new covenant.  The cycle of death and rebirth cannot be stopped.  Even so, will you oppose it?

Sounds apocalyptic--and like something I'd be interested in.  It actually sounds reminiscent of the Fate series by Type-Moon.

Sounds pretty chuuni to me, which is a largely unexplored genre for MangaGamer. There are rumors of a possible Propeller announcement, do they have any games that fit that quote? I can't think of any suitable games from them. I still wouldn't put much stock in that rumor at all, seems like a pretty unlikely one to me. I just want to say it at loud which is something I didn't do a few weeks ago with Haruka, even though that did leak out ahead of time, I dismissed it as unlikely and never brought it up. So, never say never...

In other news, the primary translator/TLCer who worked on Steins;Gate for JAST teased something to do with Chaos;Head, so that may be a thing. 

Hmmmm..... Can I join this?

Anyway, there sure something interesting in that hint. If sanahtlig said it Fate, I think it's possible. In fact, let me tell my suspicion to Otakon announcement.

Mangagamer Poll and Announcement

- According to this article http://blog.mangagamer.org/2015/03/10/2015-licensing-survey-results/, many people requested Rance series.

- So, when Arunaru said that he hold Rance VI, I immediately suspect that his project had some connection with MangaGamer.

- By using poll, I think Fate series it's possible, and the reason I think it's very reasonable that Mangagamer partnering with Type Moon, since Fate surely is popular.

- For the second partner, I think the most likely suspect is Leaf.

- Why? Because right now we had 3 games translated from Leaf (Utawarerumono, Tears to Tiara, ToHearts2), and one of poll is White Album 2

- So I think Mangagamer more likely take already finished work to be licensed(Well, from business side it's understandable, but from fan of course it's controversial enough)

- If so, I think Key it's also could be suspected.

- Because, hey if JAST could partnered with Innocent Grey for Flowers, why Mangagamer couldn't partner with Key?

tldr I using the poll to pin the possible new partner for Mangagamer with ten requested title. By the way, even if my prediction is wrong or the game is not like the poll, I think we could still use that.

I think if we want 100% certain answer, we shall wait until Otakon. And damn 6 days is very long.

PS To scorp, I hope if the announcement is for Steam and they cut H content, you not going naked to Steam office or MangaGamer office and blow yourself up.

I think you are over-estimating a company's general ability to acquire license deals. If it was as easy as "the fans want it" we'd be getting a lot more interesting games than some of the stuff we have been getting. Both MangaGamer and JAST have had various negotiations with Alicesoft for years. I don't think the survey had much to do with them licensing it. I also think it is extraordinarily unlikely that MG will end up licensing Fate. Type-Moon is hyper protective and they have shown no signs of opening up to the west, although maybe the successful anime series will loosen them up a bit. Aquaplus has recently opened up to the west a little by releasing TtT2 in the west, but again, this is one of those situations where it depends on a lot more than a user survey to be able to license their games. It would be really awesome to see a White Album 2 announcement but I'm not holding my breath.

@Mod dk3... Oh I'll called you decay here, okay?

Personally I kinda forgot how to fill survey. But if it's online, chance are either there is genuine people or MangaGamer staff who obviously know how inside work of licensing game. Maybe you had the point about AliceSoft negotiations, but what if I tell my suspicion that the top 10 VN is probably mean that they might already get their license on, or they will try to negotiate once more and almost successful. Oh I think it's possible since it's internet and we didn't know if there is 200 or 300 vote could come from one people. Well it may not true though. After all I kinda thinking that after AliceSoft announcement from MangaGamer and Rance VI is on hold (Boooooooooooooooooooooooooo.........................). Well after I saw awesome Haruka OP, I think it's worth the wait, although we still need to at least 2016 for very fast translation. Sighhhhhh...............

That's all from me.

Propeller seems like a believable path for MG. Of course, that might just be wishful thinking on my part, wanting to read their other titles besides Ayakashibito.

Have to agree about Type-Moon being a pretty unlikely thing - I just don't think any current distributor could handle whatever price TM would ask for - assuming if they ever consider oversea sales.

Then again, never say never, right? I did not expect Key or Alicesoft to open their doors, afterall~ Though I will throw out a baseless theory; Beasts Lair project pages have pretty much gone silent for over a month now, when previously the posts were going strong on a daily basis (though don't read into too much, likely just a lull). Also - and this is a complete tinfoil hat theory - perhaps there are deeper reasons to the forever-stalled Mahoutsukai no Yoru. Though that idea is completely just my selfish desire rather then it being real, heh.

I would run around and flail my arms around if propeller got announced

(PLEASELICENSEASAIROPLEASELICENSEASAIROPLEASELICENSEASAIROPLEASELICENSEASAIROPLEASELICENSEASAIROPLEASELICENSEASAIRO

PLEASELICENSEASAIROPLEASELICENSEASAIROPLEASELICENSEASAIROPLEASELICENSEASAIROPLEASELICENSEASAIROPLEASELICENSEASAIRO

PLEASELICENSEASAIROPLEASELICENSEASAIROPLEASELICENSEASAIROPLEASELICENSEASAIRO)

I mainly just want to hear some Root Double progress  :wafuu:

I would like Asairo as well, but isn't that VN particularly difficult to translate to English because of all the Kanji puns/jokes (or so I've heard)?

that would certainly be a problem and I know that.

I still wanna read it though, but Im afraid that kanji puns would be some of the first things to get "lost in translation" because it just wouldnt make sense in english

Translation:

Before long the time will come.  A silver light that cuts through pitch black darkness will descend at last, and the curtain of demise will fall upon this world.  The blood spilt from the final decisive battle, baked into the ashes of the end of days, will become nourishment for a new world and a new covenant.  The cycle of death and rebirth cannot be stopped.  Even so, will you oppose it?

Sounds apocalyptic--and like something I'd be interested in.  It actually sounds reminiscent of the Fate series by Type-Moon.

Did they finally find that guy who could write something in the same vein as Beowulf, with a through understanding of the Japanese language? Nice. Now I can rest easy knowing that the TL will be totally 100% legitimately correct.

:makina:

Indeed, and people seem to like his translation quite a bit. And they DID say that Garejei and Conjueror's next game would be announced at Otakon. So maybe it is Dies Irae after all. Also it's not an unlikely license since the anime will most certainly be translated as well, so Light may see an opportunity to break into this market. This would invalidate the Propeller rumor as it is pretty unlikely that MangaGamer would go Full Chuuni on us. Light is the bigger get, anyways.

Kouryuu, one of the top dogs at MangaGamer, has gone on record saying that it's basically impossible to properly translate into English and that MangaGamer would probably never attempt it. 

well thats just an even better motivation to continue learning japanese.

Oh well not that I can really complain if its dies irae lol. My inner chuuni is rubbing his hands in anticipation.

Another thing that could support the light/Dies Irae theory is there exists an all ages version that can be put on Steam.

As for what Propeller games it could be going by that hint (haven't played these so I'm just guessing based on looks and summary):

Tokyo Babel:

https://vndb.org/v9205

Evolimit:

https://vndb.org/v3111

Edit: Also here's some slim (grasping at straws) possibilities:

Bradyon Veda:

https://vndb.org/v12609

11eyes:

https://vndb.org/v729

Heliotrope:

https://vndb.org/v1636

Unfortunately it's over 90% probability that it's https://vndb.org/v1904

https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/3dq4yp/mangagamer_hints_dies_irae/ct7q2m4

What a shame :( ...

Why?

- That's pretty old title

- Ratings on vndb doesn't look good(super-average)

- Company doesn't have any good VNs, and it's probably dead?

lolwut, that doesn't look good..

I didn't know Otakon was a thing, are things streamed live or are there any vids of it?

Unfortunately it's over 90% probability that it's https://vndb.org/v1904

https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/3dq4yp/mangagamer_hints_dies_irae/ct7q2m4

What a shame :( ...

Why?

- That's pretty old title

- Ratings on vndb doesn't look good(super-average)

- Company doesn't have any good VNs, and it's probably dead?

the company's last real release was in 2004, RIP.

like, wtf mangagamer this isnt how you make money in an industry thats already extremely niche in the western world

for 女神's sake 

Even if the first game is Aoiro Rinne and their partnership is with Mu we still have the second title. I imagine that whatever the second partnership announcement is this is probably the big one and I doubt they would give a big hint for it. I do not believe Garejei and Conjueror were translating Aoiro Rinne but I could be wrong. If we also look at this announcement in terms of partnership is it really profitable to partner with a company for a single game? Especially that old of a game? I think it's hard to say and we will just have to wait and see while continuing to speculate. Dies Irae though is very unlikely. I say this under the same impression for alicesoft games and the idea that muv-luv alternative would never get translated.

Someone on NeoGAF was expecting Chaos; Head Noah to be announced for localization at Otakon. We'll also get info about Root Double, which is currently the VN I am excited the most for except Zero Escape 3. Hopefully we'll learn what will happen to the other translations Lemnisca was in charge of, especially the Killer Queen sequels and even more importantly, 12Riven.