What are you playing?

Did all the endings of Banshee's Last Cry and even though i thought some of the parody endings went on for a bit too long, i was surprised by how good it was.

Has anyone played the sequel (Kamaitachi no Yoru 2) to give an idea of how good it is? I skimmed through a japanese playthrough of it and it looks like one the craziest VNs ever.

Edited by onorub

Finished Kanon's route and all Chapter 3 in G-Senjou no Maou...

Now I'm supposed to go with Shiratori before moving onto Haru, but man, what a bummer, I really want to cut to the chase already. I'm seriously considering skipping Shiratori for now and then go back to it once I finish the true route. Could someone tell me how much I would be missing? Is it a no-no or semi-acceptable?

4 hours ago, Thyndd said:

Finished Kanon's route and all Chapter 3 in G-Senjou no Maou...

Now I'm supposed to go with Shiratori before moving onto Haru, but man, what a bummer, I really want to cut to the chase already. I'm seriously considering skipping Shiratori for now and then go back to it once I finish the true route. Could someone tell me how much I would be missing? Is it a no-no or semi-acceptable?

I think you should do Shiratori first, because there is one thing that is different and you would feel weird reading Shiratori's route after. If not for that, you could actually skip it, her route isn't that great, Kyousuke is just like a spectator most of the time

Edited by Zidan209

17 hours ago, Zidan209 said:

I think you should do Shiratori first, because there is one thing that is different and you would feel weird reading Shiratori's route after. If not for that, you could actually skip it, her route isn't that great, Kyousuke is just like a spectator most of the time

So be it. Shiratori's route finished, it was pretty meh. I've already started with Haru's route.

I've got up to the part when Kyousuke takes Gonzou as a hostage to allow his friends to flee. God that shit was really intense, I was on edge.

2 hours ago, Thyndd said:

So be it. Shiratori's route finished, it was pretty meh. I've already started with Haru's route.

Hide contents

I've got up to the part when Kyousuke takes Gonzou as a hostage to allow his friends to flee. God that shit was really intense, I was on edge.

You haven't experienced anything yet :sacchan:

So it seems that Fault has got a lot more interesting which is good

First part completed. Overall I have to say I'm really impressed at how they were able to get over their rough beginning

Edited by Ranzo

G-Senjou no Maou finished. 

What to say... the true route's been a blast, freaking fantastic. But that epilogue... damn I was so not ready for that *cries a lot* Now I will be sad for the rest of the day, damn it.

Now I get what some of you meant when suggesting that I didn't take the side routes too seriously. In all honesty, I don't recall every single detail in every scene, even though I pretty much marathoned this VN over the course of just 5 days, but I seriously doubt they all add up. Sure, you could perhaps try to find excuses here and there to make up for the plot holes, but always at the expense of relinquishing the overall coherence of character behaviour and your own suspension of disbelief. So yeah, for me that's this VN's biggest blunder. A secret for good mistery writing is to not pull dirty tricks over your readers: they should feel like the truth was in front of their eyes all along, only they just couldn't figure it out. This includes of course providing every piece of information the characters solving the mistery have available and a honest, impartial narrative that doesn't attempt to misguide you. The complexity and originality of the story itself should be the one thing you cannot wrap your head around, putting yourself in the character's shoes and thus making the experience truly immersive.

Also I want to add, now that I got it over with, that the side routes are frankly pointless. Well, I guess they are called "side routes" for a reason. I think it's better to consider them not to be part of the story, but rather a bunch of spin-offs of "what-if"s. They don't contribute almost anything at the story. I was expecting that the character attachment that built up during the side routes would pay off in the true route, but nah, they are nowhere to be found aside from a cute little scene in the epilogue. Looking at it from this point of view, this is more a kinetic novel, since the choices you make actually don't matter at all for the main and only true story.

Well, I ranted over it a lot, so it may seem that I hated it, but that couldn't be further from the truth. I loved it and that's why I'm passionate about it. Great VN.

36 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Your opinion on the main twist?

I kinda went over it in the spoiler, though maybe I wasn't too specific.

For me calling it a twist is a bit of a stretch. There is this irony that I totally saw that coming but at the same time I knew it was not possible without pulling it out of your ass, but what with all the emphasis they put on the transitions between Kyousuke and Maou's perspective it was too obvious. And granted, as I said before, you could make up some half-assed excuses to account for all those false hints, but that's the same as saying that those are all a bunch of "coincidences" that were shown to you in order to fool you. That's just a very lazy plot device with no merit whatsoever from my perspective. For fuck's sake, they even had to make up all that bullshit of "Kyousuke behaved like Maou's at some points in the story because he was going crazy and actually believed he was" to justify his sudden change of mood the day after he kicked Usami out of his appartment and also that encounter with Tokita when she told him that there was something weird with him. 

That's not the story trying to fool you, which is completely fine, but the narrative itself. I don't think that's intelectually honest. 

So yeah, that. The main twist: bleh. The rest of the story: absolutely stunning. That epilogue is going to hunt me for days.

30 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

Hide contents

For me calling it a twist is a bit of a stretch. There is this irony that I totally saw that coming but at the same time I knew it was not possible without pulling it out of your ass, but what with all the emphasis they put on the transitions between Kyousuke and Maou's perspective it was too obvious. And granted, as I said before, you could make up some half-assed excuses to account for all those false hints, but that's the same as saying that those are all a bunch of "coincidences" that were shown to you in order to fool you. That's just a very lazy plot device with no merit whatsoever from my perspective. For fuck's sake, they even had to make up all that bullshit of "Kyousuke behaved like Maou's at some points in the story because he was going crazy and actually believed he was" to justify his sudden change of mood the day after he kicked Usami out of his appartment and also that encounter with Tokita when she told him that there was something weird with him. 

That's not the story trying to fool you, which is completely fine, but the narrative itself. I don't think that's intelectually honest. 

So yeah, that. The main twist: bleh. The rest of the story: absolutely stunning. That epilogue is going to hunt me for days.

Spoiler

Pffft. That isn't the main twist. That's a giant red-herring red-herring, to make you think that was the twist the story had to offer. The actual twist was the epilogue.

38 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I felt like the epilogue was kinda obvious, but there was just no way you could think that because there just wasn't space for such thoughts because of the immersion. So it seems you also totaly fell for it and thought that the kid wasn't Kyousuke's. 

G-senjou has definitely two or more perfect characters, but sadly, not the protagonist. I'd probably give the highlights to Gonzou, despite Maou being so briliant.

Now, idk if you've read Sharin, but if you haven't, then you should check it out, since it's rather similiar to this one. It has a similiar kind of twist, but more properly concealed + some great characters

Edited by Zidan209

1 minute ago, Zidan209 said:
  Hide contents

I felt like the epilogue was kinda obvious, but there was just no way you could think that because there just wasn't space for such thoughts because of the immersion. So it seems you also totaly fell for it and thought that the kid wasn't Kyousuke's. 

G-senjou has definitely some perfect characters, but sadly, not the protagonist. I'd probably give the highlights to Gonzou, despite Maou being so perfect.

Now, idk if you've read Sharin, but if you haven't, then you should check it out, since it's rather similiar to this one. It has the same kind of twist, but more properly concealed + some great characters

No no, I knew the kid was Kyousuke's, for sure. I knew how it was going to end, but it was heart-breaking nontheless, and a beautiful conclusion.

I haven't read Sharin yet. A few days ago I opened a recommendation thread; Sharin was among the ones people suggested, along with G-Senjou no Maou. Perhaps Sharin will be the next I'll be playing.

7 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

Hide contents

No no, I knew the kid was Kyousuke's, for sure. I knew how it was going to end, but it was heart-breaking nontheless, and a beautiful conclusion.

I haven't read Sharin yet. A few days ago I opened a recommendation thread; Sharin was among the ones people suggested, along with G-Senjou no Maou. Perhaps Sharin will be the next I'll be playing.

You know, it might be a good idea to wait for the official localisation.

As for your other comment, I will answer you when I get to my PC so I can use spoiler tags.

5 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

Hide contents

I beg of you, wait for the official release before playing it. At least before deciding whether you'd prefer the fan-translation or the official one.

5 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

You know, it might be a good idea to wait for the official localisation.

5 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I beg of you, wait for the official release before playing it. At least before deciding whether you'd prefer the fan-translation or the official one.

Well then, ok :wafuu: Is it that bad or some the fan translation?

At least one of the people behind the fan translation of Sharin has disavowed it and actively discourages people from reading it, so, yeah, I'd wait for the official.

Regarding G-Senjou:

Spoiler

The "twist" being such an ass-pull kinda ruined the VN for me. The epilogue was lovely and has certainly stuck with me, and I rather liked the bad end on Shiratori's route, but for the most part I just feel disgust for G-Senjou as a failure of a mystery.

3 hours ago, Thyndd said:

Well then, ok :wafuu: Is it that bad or some the fan translation?

Actually, I can't comment on that since I'm doing exactly the same thing. Well, I've seen some criticism regarding the existing translation, and official translations tend to be better anyway, and since it's most likely going to be out pretty soon, why shouldn't we wait for it?

4 hours ago, Thyndd said:

Hide contents

I noticed a thing about G-senjou: practically every person who reads it agrees that this VN has a lot of flaws and a lot of great parts, but which of these two factors outweigh in the end heavily depends on each person's tastes and reading habits.

Spoiler

Honestly, the "twist" is one of the reasons why I don't really like G-senjou. It sure has a lot of great moments, including its absolutely stunning epilogue, which could easily belong to a 10/10 VN, but at the same time it's flaws combined in a way that I couldn't enjoy it as much as I probably should've.

Also, it probably wasn't the greatest idea on my part to read this VN right after finishing Muv-luv Alternative.

PS. Sorry, I wanted to make this comment more in-depth, but I'm a bit tired right now.

Edited by Dreamysyu

2 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

I noticed a thing about G-senjou: practically every person who reads it agrees that this VN has a lot of flaws and a lot of great parts, but which of these two factors outweigh in the end heavily depends on each person's tastes and reading habits.

4 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

but for the most part I just feel disgust for G-Senjou as a failure of a mystery.

I always like to focus on the good points of what I read. It's not that I'm oblivious to the many flaws it has, but I'd rather not get too obsessed over them and enjoy the story for what it actually did for me. And in the case of G-Senjou it did thrill and move me. Some of its scenes will always remain etched in my memory and that's good enough for me.

Well then good people, I'll follow your advice and wait for the official english release of Sharin. In the meanwhile, I'll be reading Ever17.

Edited by Thyndd

28 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

I always like to focus on the good points of what I read.

Actually, it's always a good thing to do. I try to do the same thing, but sometimes I fail.

In case of G-senjou, it went more like this: I didn't particularly like many things people like about this VN, and at the same time the flaws were at places where it actually mattered to me. At the same time, I was starting to burn out about VNs at that time, and my real-life situation back then was actually pretty terrible. These factors combined together, and I didn't like this VN. Well, stuff this happens. I think, almost every VN reader has at least one popular VN they didn't enjoy.

28 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

I'll be reading Ever17

Great pick, by the way! Just don't be spoiled, for this particular VN it actually matters, a lot! And spoilers are basically everywhere.

By the way, I remember using some patches that used slightly improved version of the translation and fixed some errors. And I remember there were some problems  running this game on the latest versions of Windows, so good luck with that. :notlikemiya:

Edited by Dreamysyu

On 1/30/2018 at 12:17 PM, Thyndd said:

I always like to focus on the good points of what I read. It's not that I'm oblivious to the many flaws it has, but I'd rather not get too obsessed over them and enjoy the story for what it actually did for me. And in the case of G-Senjou it did thrill and move me. Some of its scenes will always remain edged in my memory and that's good enough for me.

Well then good people, I'll follow your advice and wait for the official english release of Sharin. In the meanwhile, I'll be reading Ever17.

For me I thought G-Senjou was fantastic it's definitely in my top five sure there were some less than stellar parts (the whole headache thing was contrived, hardly any of the other characters routes mattered), but overall I thought it was great. I mean I think G Senjou has one of the greatest characters that I've ever witnessed (vn or otherwise)

On Sharin no Kuni I mean if you want to wait then wait but I thought the translation was good I played the whole thing twice and I don't remember any glaring mistakes, though I'm sure if you were really looking for it you might find some.

Ever 17 is pretty phenomenal though so you can't go wrong there.

So I started playing Tsujidou-san no Jun’ai Road and I was barely able to stop it was just that good! So far I love all the characters and how kickass they are

Started with Ever17 and I'm like 2 or 3 hours in. It seems it's gonna be quite the mindfuck huh?

There's some technicalities I want to address though. They are supposed to be at freaking ~50 meters. 6 atm is not nearly enough to crush a human body and I would assume that those LeMU installations aren't made of butter, so I guess that either I'm missing something or there's a lot more to the situation to yet be revealed.

Edited by Thyndd

11 hours ago, Thyndd said:

Started with Ever17 and I'm like 2 or 3 hours in. It seems it's gonna be quite the mindfuck huh?

Reveal hidden contents

There's some technicalities I want to address though. They are supposed to be at freaking ~50 meters. 6 atm is not nearly enough to crush a human body and I would assume that those LeMU installations aren't made of butter, so I guess that either I'm missing something or there's a lot more to the situation to yet be revealed.

Spoiler

Don't even bother with stuff like that. Science in Ever 17 is not even remotely realistic, and there are quite a lot a lot of things that... shouldn't be compared to the real life, lol. It's good for other things.