What are you playing?

Slowly re-reading Dunamis15, since back when I read it my Japanese was.... bad, to say the least. Finished the first arc - and just as I remembered, it was great, and quite possibly the best part of the entire story. It's the arc that goes from normal every day life to madness full of conspiracy and grim circumstances - it is the first time you're introduced to the exceptionally dark setting, while still keeping most of the plot a mystery. The problem is - at least from what I remember from my less than optional first read - that the actual plot is nowhere near as interesting as the setting itself, and it even goes for a weirdly out of place magical twist that seems to go against the tone of the VN up until that point. I'm re-reading in hopes of having missed something important that puts the ending into a better light, so we'll see.

As for the first arc alone, imagine Higurashi that gets fucked up a whole lot more and much faster than Higurashi itself ever does. The population is at a steady decline after the nuclear winter has devastated the world, yet on the isolated island - Dunamis base - students seem to lead perfectly peaceful and carefree lives. Their life is calm and full of fun.... at what price, though?

14 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

I have finished Clannad.

My final review of Clannad is a 7.5/10

Clannad : for the first part, Kotomi route is the best, Tomoyo is best girl.

Clannad after story : WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!/10 and lame true end. 

That's all, i feel...exhausted... 

Kotomi is a qt <3

Thoughts on the afterstory:

Spoiler

The whole thing, or the bs Ushio death/time-loop at the end?

My ideal ending would be Ushio and Tomoya simply moving on in life - maybe Tomoya and Ushio's teacher, Kyou growing close.  :sachi: Not that random scene that wipes out the whole meaning to the afterstory~

Just now, Suzu Fanatic said:

Kotomi is a qt <3

Thoughts on the afterstory:

Hide contents

The whole thing, or the bs Ushio death/time-loop at the end?

My ideal ending would be Ushio and Tomoya simply moving on in life - maybe Tomoya and Ushio's teacher, Kyou growing close.  :sachi: Not that random scene that wipes out the whole meaning to the afterstory~

Nop, i don't talk about the normal ending, i'm talking about the "True" ending, the one you get when you collect all the friggin orbs.

The normal ending is one of the best, the saddest, and the most epic ending i've experienced in my life, i was like punching myself during the whole ending.

19 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

I have finished Clannad.

Clannad after story : WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!/10 and lame true end. 

Yeah, I felt the same way after Clannad, lol. I was actually planning on reading all of the key works back to back, but after Clannad I was just... done. The first part was alright, but had too many routes. You have good taste, Kotomi best route and Tomoyo best girl indeed. After Story's middle was really good, apart from the lackluster characters, but that ending killed a lot of the hype. If it had Suzufanatic's ending I would have given it an 8, or maybe even higher.

On a side note, I recently finished chapter two of Flowers, so some first impressions. Upon starting it up, I was immediately impressed by how pretty it is. The soft color palette and the way the girls all look realistic (comparatively small eyes, natural hair colors and normal styles) is very nice indeed. I also normally dislike school uniforms, but these ones are quite cute and charming in their simplicity. The music and general tone is nice, but I think it would benefit greatly from a wider variety of tracks, given that I'm only two chapters in and they're already seeming repetitive. The actual plot and characters aren't impressing me thus far, though. I mean, I wouldn't call anything bad, and I do have a distaste for slice of life, but the girls are all a bit simplistic (albeit cute, I suppose, I do like the twins and the one introduced at the end of chapter 2) and so far and very little has happened. Like I said, I haven't read much at all, so hopefully it will get better, and as a whole it's more than competent enough for me to continue reading it.

Been going through Umineko and I've gotta say.. I'm expecting it to get better but episode 1 wasn't very good at all. The kids were cool but most of the adults were aggravating from beginning to end and even the kids were getting annoying towards the end. The 'logic' they were trying to use to solve the mystery was annoying since they kept repeating themselves over and over while making baseless assumptions. There's more but long story short I was not impressed with the first episode though I'm expecting it to get better at some point.

On a positive note the OST is one of the best that I've ever heard and Beatrice seems like a fun character, so both of those things for now are enough to keep me going and see it through. Oh, also Battler is a pretty cool protagonist, if not a bit aggravating himself with his stubbornness.

Finished Da Capo 2. A major Leap, compared to the the first DC. Except Koko's route, EVERYTHING is better : the cast (a special mention to the side characters...Suginami, Akane or even Wataru are great), the story (Sakura's epilogue "erased" some bad elements from the first DC) and ABOVE ALL, the core of the VN, its system, its structure (the two major branches, the three parts, the logic...).

Anzu : A  great character (very funny) with a satisfactory route (I expected more...mischief but It's still interesting).

Koko : HORRIBLE : The girl, her route, the protagonist's behaviour.

Spoiler

You can see it as Nanaka's bad end :makina:

Minatsu : A remake of a certain nice route in DC ? Maybe. Anyway, It was surprisingly heartwarming. I really loved the evolution of the character. To my mind, It's the best route in DC2.

Nanaka : A good clone of Kotori. Probably slightly better than the original one. And I enjoyed how she took the initiative with this incurable donkan idiot Yoshiyuki :sacchan:

Yume : A bit too similar to Nemu. But her route is better. It's not great (too long to start) but, this time, it's more than readable and It's not frustrating :makina: 

Otome : the second best girl : she's cute, proactive, responsible. Indeed, unlike her little sister, she took action when she had to...And the incest element didn't bother me this time  :illya:

Girl ranking : Anzu > Otome > Nanaka > Minatsu > Yume >>>> Koko

Route Ranking : Minatsu > Nanaka > Otome = Anzu > Yume >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Koko

Rating : 7,5 or 7,75

Edited by Canicheslayer

Finished Koiken Otome. For all my bitching and complaining, it was actually "ok" - if you set aside the fact the writing is terrible and so much of what happens in it is uttterly contrived. :makina: (Yves's route for example - pretty shaky territory as for how Yves falls for him - at least the other girls see him on a daily basis~ Or maybe that's why :miyako:)

I don't think it's the fault of the TL, but rather the developer - it feels like "baby's first VN" - there was a lot of half-baked ideas and serious pacing issues. There were some good ideas too, but they failed to capitalize on them - or rushed them/cut them short. The chuuni elements felt like afterthoughts, and clearly a weak point - this isn't a turn-based rpg, team mates and foes don't just stand around gawking while each person takes a turn, in the middle of a brawl :sachi:

Protag was a giant tool, which never helps my disposition~

Akane's route was the best constructed - possibly because they force her on you all throughout the common route - but it also had the best sense of "dillemma" all throughout. (aside from the "discovering their feelings" chapter, which I passed over :P )

Other routes were rather underwhelming, random noise, or sabotaged by the writer. Almost EVERY single time there was a serious scene, that had potential to invoke an emotion in me - they turned it into a LOL JOKES HAR HAR HUURRRR at the last moment - almost EVERY time.

Painful to read - had potential - but painful.

Maybe I'll finally read Dracuriot, @TexasDice said it's pretty much a better version of this, so at least I know it can't get any worse~

1 hour ago, Canicheslayer said:

You almost perfectly aligned with my opinions on Da Capo 2. I only differ in liking DC 1's Kotori more than anything in Da Capo 2, but not by much. 

If I would have to order it, I would go Kotori > Everything in Da Capo 2 except for Koko > Da Capo 1 > Koko

In terms of best girl/best route, I 100% agree: Anzu is bae and the fucking synth 2V5CKwc.png  Minatsu got the best route. 

I am content to see how much D.C.P.C might change my opinion of Da Capo 1 in the future.

53 minutes ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

You forgot to mention how Touko is best girl and should be worshipped like a goddess. :kosame:

Honestly, I had a lot of fun with Koiken Otome, simply because I expected it to be a lot worse than it actually was. And the art is really good, I consider that a saving grace gold star for effort. (Tateha has come a long way in 10 years, in which he - coincidentally - also worked on Da Capo 2).

I did make a "not-so-bold" statement with the Dracu-Riot comparison, since I think a lot of people would agree with me there. (General Question at everyone) Is there anything out there that fights with Dracu-Riot as the best translated moege other than, maybe Hoshimemo and Bernd und das Rätsel um Unteralterbach ? 

Fata Morgana looks and sounds great- very atmospheric

Unfortunately, I'm kind of still in the Infinity hype so I can't really get into it atm :P, so I'm thinking of taking a *slight* detour and going Remember 11. 

It's obviously not as highly masterfully rated as Ever17 is, but it seems good enough. Never7 on the other hand looks meh, so I may just pass that one up.

31 minutes ago, TexasDice said:

I did make a "not-so-bold" statement with the Dracu-Riot comparison, since I think a lot of people would agree with me there. (General Question at everyone) Is there anything out there that fights with Dracu-Riot as the best translated moege other than, maybe Hoshimemo and Bernd und das Rätsel um Unteralterbach ? 

I would say Konosora is better. Shame about the translation though. Once the retranslation is done I would recommend it to anyone.

12 minutes ago, Decay said:

I would say Konosora is better. Shame about the translation though. Once the retranslation is done I would recommend it to anyone.

That's a fair answer, since I also said that Konosora would be one of my favorite VNs - if it weren't for that translation - in the past. I would probably also recommend the retranslated version universally. 

Unless you're dealing with one of those people who can't get into glider talk at all. I've actually seen a lot of people here complaining about glider talk lol. 

1 hour ago, Eclipsed said:

Unfortunately, I'm kind of still in the Infinity hype so I can't really get into it atm :P, so I'm thinking of taking a *slight* detour and going Remember 11. 

It's obviously not as highly masterfully rated as Ever17 is, but it seems good enough. Never7 on the other hand looks meh, so I may just pass that one up.

my dude, if you think Remember11 can alleviate even the slightest bit of your Infinity hype, you're simply FUCKED. Remember11 trounces Ever17 in every single aspect except the finale (debatable once you really understand what the VN is about), and it doesn't have a Sora tier character, but from the cast to the pacing to the atmosphere to the mysteries to the plot to the OST, Remember11 is just so fucking good. Besides the ending (debatably), the game is practically flawless IMHO. Oh, it also has like 23 endings or something, which is one hell of a grind. Don't move on to the second route until finishing all the endings you get in the first, trust me.

12 hours ago, Kabu said:
12 hours ago, Kabu said:

Been going through Umineko and I've gotta say.. I'm expecting it to get better but episode 1 wasn't very good at all. The kids were cool but most of the adults were aggravating from beginning to end and even the kids were getting annoying towards the end. The 'logic' they were trying to use to solve the mystery was annoying since they kept repeating themselves over and over while making baseless assumptions. There's more but long story short I was not impressed with the first episode though I'm expecting it to get better at some point.

On a positive note the OST is one of the best that I've ever heard and Beatrice seems like a fun character, so both of those things for now are enough to keep me going and see it through. Oh, also Battler is a pretty cool protagonist, if not a bit aggravating himself with his stubbornness.

(sorry can't do without double posting)

The first episode of Umineko is a wholly different beast than the rest of the VN. Don't form too many opinions just yet.

14 hours ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

I have finished Clannad.

I don't really understand why people give the true end so much shit. Clannad was never meant to be realistic from the start. It's true that the ending contradicts the message that AS had been building up, but if all those lessons about the power of family and moving on from your loss genuinely had an impact on you, you wouldn't just forget all of that because of an inconsistent ending. I think the point of the happy ending was to make people remember the rest of AS in a more positive light, and personally, I was so emotionally swept along by AS that the ending only made me cry harder out of sheer relief. 

2 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

My superior taste therefore concluded it is my favourite Infinity game.

Let's put it this way. Never7 is less about the pseudo-science nonsense and more about getting along with the girls. As my first "conventional" VN, it holds, then, a special place in my heart.
Still plenty of balderdash, but with plenty of slice-of-life and romance. Additionally, my favourite Kuudere, Haruka, is from this game.

If I were to say Ever17 has it beat on something, it's the protagonist and the ending.

On the other hand, the only thing I really enjoyed about Remember11 were the two protagonists, and the sections on the mountain. My tastes have grown pickier with time, and so I doubt I would ever play this Remember11 these days.

6 hours ago, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

I don't really understand why people give the true end so much shit. Clannad was never meant to be realistic from the start. It's true that the ending contradicts the message that AS had been building up, but if all those lessons about the power of family and moving on from your loss genuinely had an impact on you, you wouldn't just forget all of that because of an inconsistent ending. I think the point of the happy ending was to make people remember the rest of AS in a more positive light, and personally, I was so emotionally swept along by AS that the ending only made me cry harder out of sheer relief. 

Because when you have one of the best endings ever, the true end basically feels like the obligatory thing you add because people wants their shitty happy ending, and even so, they wanted a true happy ending? give us more contents, not a fucking ending credit and a useless scene at the end. 

Finished reading Go! Go! Nippon! ~My First Trip to Japan~ , and here is a mini-review :mare:

Story-6/10- i will give it a higher score that i would , since i liked the sightseeing parts.

Art-5.5/10-Its ok 

OST-5/10- I did not care about the ost of this vn.

So this visual novel is a 5.5/10

Thank you for reading this.

25 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

Because when you have one of the best endings ever, the true end basically feels like the obligatory thing you add because people wants their shitty happy ending, and even so, they wanted a true happy ending? give us more contents, not a fucking ending credit and a useless scene at the end. 

Fair enough, everyone reacts to it in their own way I suppose. I still disagree on the shitty part, but the other way would also have been amazing.