What are you playing?

Finished Gahkthun. It was magnificent: well-paced, plenty of mysteries and reveals, gradual build-up of relationships, periodic action to keep things interesting, periodic slice-of-life to keep the tension from building too quickly. And the final chapter brought all the pieces together beautifully; what an ending. The dénouement was definitely longer than necessary, but I guess I can't fault the writer for taking a victory lap after telling a story like that.

I guess I still have half a month to read before the next club will come up, so I'll probably pick up KoiChoco next... though I expect I'll be supremely disappointed by how much weaker it is than Gahkthun.

Danganronpa 2, just about finished with Chapter 1's trial

*Sigh* I get what they're trying to do with his character, but 

xdJkaFu.jpg (960×544)

Nagito is a complete disgrace to The Ultimate Lucky Student title.

Other than that DR2's goin' pretty well, I like this cast. and the new mechanics in the Class Trials are welcomed. 

Shame about the first vic though >.> he was a pretty interesting version of him.

59 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

xdJkaFu.jpg (960×544)

Other than that DR2's goin' pretty well, I like this cast. and the new mechanics in the Class Trials are welcomed. 

Shame about the first vic though >.> he was a pretty interesting version of him.

upupupupu! :upupu:

Komaeda is amazing.

1 hour ago, Eclipsed said:

xdJkaFu.jpg (960×544)

Komaeda neither particularly annoyed me nor did I find him particularly good.

Spoiler

I mean, I was surprised his personality turned out to be like that in the first chapter, but I couldn't understand Hinata's complete disgust or how everyone else treated him... for the most part.

What's there to not understand?

His appearance is irritable, his voice is irritable (seriously want to rip out my headphones whenever his "chuckle" audio plays, it's like the most obnoxious sounding piece of shit ever, fk him), his reasoning is irritable, irritable irritable IRRITABLE, he needs to rename himself the Ultimate Irritator ASAP

Even the game thankfully interrupts his pre-Chapter 2 monologue with a well deserved SHUUUUUUUUUT UPPPP,

Spoiler

l3Ohfyw.jpg (960×544)
YO FUCK YOU.

ieLkoUd.jpg (960×544)

thank you.

This guy needs to die ASAP, if they pull some BS where he's the mastermind, or even any late game revelations, I'm gonna claim Hiyoko as my waifu. Currently it's a tossup between Chiaki and uh, idk, Mikan? Sonia's pretty hawt too, /derail

Started playing Kikan Bakumatsu Ibun Last Cavalier recently.

Thing's a friggin' textbook on the Bakumatsu Era. Here's part of the list of terms I looked up. And those were just the pages I bookmarked.

But the art and music is good, and ofc, the dialogue and setting is quite interesting. I'm really enjoying it and I want to play more, but it's such an exhausting read I can only concentrate on it for a few hours a day. Made it to the first choice...it seems fairly important. Ahh, what to do what to do. I do want to make sure I follow the true history routes first, but I don't want to use a walk-through.

I also want to complain about being spoiled by wikipedia and vndb summaries (of other games). When you are playing a game that follows history...spoilers are kinda of inevitable.

I decided I was too behind on classics and couldn't justify picking up "just a moege", so instead of KoiChoco, which I'd planned to be next, I started playing G-Senjou. I bought a Steam copy, because official licenses need love too, but because I'm a hopelessly broken human being, like most of you, I decided I wanted to play the fan translation (because H-scenes). But it seems it's rather difficult to get the English patch these days, so I ended up playing the Steam release.

After a couple hours, I'm still in chapter 1, but a lot of exposition happened (including the reveal of Maou); I'm enjoying it immensely thus far, though some of the soundtrack is a little weird when I recognize the original too well and it bothers my brain.

Right now I'm planning to try playing the whole game without a guide - I don't know if that's a good idea or a bad one. The Clannad experience convinced me of two things:

- guides are sometimes necessary

- but they are always annoying

So I'm trying to avoid them for now, and then maybe if I get really stuck I'll grab a guide. Right now, I want to make my own selfish decisions and then live with the consequences. I hear the bad endings are the best reasons to play to G-Senjou, though, so hopefully I make a lot of mistakes.

G-Senjou no Maou has a fairly simple branching system, there are basically four branch points peppered throughout the story (one each in Chapters 2 through 5), so each characters' route branches off at a different point in the main story. There aren't a ton of choices and it's mostly just being nice to the girl in question. There are a few non-obvious choices that might be a little annoying, though.

Haven't posted anything in quite some time and I am about to get off, so a quick recap. 

Finished KoiSuru, a while ago thought it was OK, finished KoiChoco about a week ago, thought it was average for the most part, still enjoyable. Now I am on Noble Works. My firs thoughts when I started it up a half week ago were "Fuck this body double shit and this bitch ass maid". I did Maya's route first (as she is best girl) and once I finished my opinion of the game swayed towards one of affinity. As with KoiChoco though it's average, but that isn't a bad thing. I love my cliche ridden, moe blob, moege's. On another note Akari's route was fun to read, tough I did end up skipping some text as it was all too predictable... Akari was cute enough at least. In the middle of Hinata's route right now and after her I will be doing Masumane (or w/e her family name was). 

On 1/17/2016 at 11:36 AM, Deep Blue said:

trying to finally finish subahibi, so far I really don't like it maybe it gets much better later on... (im at it's my own invention) I also really dislike zakuro, why does she speak so slow!! all those pauses while talking >_>

Hide contents

the plot itself is pretty boring for me, the end of the world, collective consciousness(this was the worst so far), spirits, the philosophical part is so tedious, talking about the colors of the sky nonstop,  becoming an old person and all that nonsense I love philosophy but this novel really puts me off... I really really hope it gets better, it goes on and on and on with nonsense chatters  
btw i hope im wrong but i kinda know what's going on already...

I've read somewhere that sca-ji's emphasis is not on the mystery, but on the philo. The story is v. thickly foreshadowed to the point you could figure it out in Down the Rabbit-Hole I, so yeah, you've prolly figured it out. I did in Rabbit Hole II. >.> But yeah, the plot is not the focus, nor is it the characters. They're basically excuses to convey sca-ji's philo (not that there's anything wrong with that), but they're regarded to still manage to do well, so I'd say hold on. I'm p. sure if you were to ask most fans, the most iconic scenes for them would be those said nonsense scenes -- yuki looking at the sky, the galactic railroad scene, anything with ayana, the famous cows scene, etc. The most i can tell you is to find a way to enjoy those, or to find sense in the nonsense, as that's what i personally enjoy about it. Still, it seems to be shaping up as something not for you. Though tbh, philo is p. nonsensical...

but imo, it's v. interesting and unique, and worth playing for that alone. If anything majority of Invention is pure madness -- I liked the presentation of the mystery despite knowing it, and Jabberwocky I (where I stalled) is where the bloat dramatically decreases (the script size is a testament to that). The drama is also v. interesting in how there are no moments where you'd expect people to post feels train memes, but it still manages to be cathartic. I think it's worth playing how interesting it is, so my rec is to just go through it -- at least it'd be p. memorable.

Oh, and turn off Zakuro's voice. Much better, especially in Insects. Unless you love making fun of bad seiyuus.

In the middle of Chapter 2 trial Danganronpa 2

Aight, be honest, who the FK actually got through some of the early bits without a walkthrough? @Funyarinpa @Tiagofvarela, specifically:

Spoiler

i4L16sx.jpg (960×544)

At best I went Fish Tank -> Agree with the Gravel, but they were just like "NOPE NOT POSSIBLE" so I just completely abandoned that idea, fk these little details, this is the first time I legit got stumped ._.

Is that a reference to Ace Attorney btw? Heh, should play that game one day 

So I just started Chapter 2 of G-Senjou and...

Spoiler

I'm about 90% confident I figured out the secret to this world. There's already so much evidence pointing in the same direction, and new confirmations keep popping up as I read. On the one hand, that's a bit disappointing since I think I'm still pretty early in the story, and I didn't even know to look for anything. But on the other hand, it might make my choices seem much more meaningful. I tend to think of myself as unperceptive, and I do give myself that 10% confidence buffer to be wrong... but I really doubt I'm wrong.

2 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

So I just started Chapter 2 of G-Senjou and...

Hide contents

I'm about 90% confident I figured out the secret to this world. There's already so much evidence pointing in the same direction, and new confirmations keep popping up as I read. On the one hand, that's a bit disappointing since think I'm still pretty early in the story, and I didn't even know to look for anything. But on the other hand, it might make my choices seem much more meaningful. I tend to think of myself as unperceptive, and I do give myself that 10% confidence buffer to be wrong... but I really doubt I'm wrong.

Secret to this world? What is this, Little Busters? Do tell what you have discovered :P

I wish I could play steins;gate 0 i just saw a few videos on niconico :( 

9 hours ago, Wonderfullyevil said:

I've read somewhere that sca-ji's emphasis is not on the mystery, but on the philo. The story is v. thickly foreshadowed to the point you could figure it out in Down the Rabbit-Hole I, so yeah, you've prolly figured it out. I did in Rabbit Hole II. >.> But yeah, the plot is not the focus, nor is it the characters. They're basically excuses to convey sca-ji's philo (not that there's anything wrong with that), but they're regarded to still manage to do well, so I'd say hold on. I'm p. sure if you were to ask most fans, the most iconic scenes for them would be those said nonsense scenes -- yuki looking at the sky, the galactic railroad scene, anything with ayana, the famous cows scene, etc. The most i can tell you is to find a way to enjoy those, or to find sense in the nonsense, as that's what i personally enjoy about it. Still, it seems to be shaping up as something not for you. Though tbh, philo is p. nonsensical...

but imo, it's v. interesting and unique, and worth playing for that alone. If anything majority of Invention is pure madness -- I liked the presentation of the mystery despite knowing it, and Jabberwocky I (where I stalled) is where the bloat dramatically decreases (the script size is a testament to that). The drama is also v. interesting in how there are no moments where you'd expect people to post feels train memes, but it still manages to be cathartic. I think it's worth playing how interesting it is, so my rec is to just go through it -- at least it'd be p. memorable.

Oh, and turn off Zakuro's voice. Much better, especially in Insects. Unless you love making fun of bad seiyuus.

yep you pretty much described everything about this novel xD I can honestly say that I don't like sca-ji specially if this is his master peace.

I don't like denpa so that's probably another reason why  i dont like this vn.

Played a bit more of Chapter 2 of G-Senjou

Spoiler

Probably obvious to everybody else, but the "secret" I referred to in that post up above was obviously about "Maou" being the main character's alternate personality. Turned out it wasn't going to be any kind of secret for too much longer, since after another hour or so of gameplay it got a straight-up reveal. So, that's reassuring, I suppose, though it really seemed like the sort of trick they'd want to get more mileage out of... which has me wondering just how much longer the game is as a whole.

Character-wise: I'm oddly not really a fan of Usami, at least so far, despite liking competent heroines. She's just a little too off - I wouldn't fall for a female Sherlock Holmes either, for instance. Tsubaki is adorable; I sincerely hope there's a good end with her. Eiichi easily wins the "best sidekick name" award, though I find him pretty obnoxious; the only time he's entertaining is when Kanon is busting his chops. And... not a Kanon fan - she's too much of a spoiled brat. Haven't really seen much of Shiratori yet, which makes me believe there must still be a fair bit of plot left to cover, otherwise she wouldn't have enough screen time to make sense as a heroine.

At any rate, we'll see where things go from here, but so far, pretty good.

10 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

In the middle of Chapter 2 trial Danganronpa 2

Aight, be honest, who the FK actually got through some of the early bits without a walkthrough? @Funyarinpa @Tiagofvarela, specifically:

Hide contents

i4L16sx.jpg (960×544)

At best I went Fish Tank -> Agree with the Gravel, but they were just like "NOPE NOT POSSIBLE" so I just completely abandoned that idea, fk these little details, this is the first time I legit got stumped ._.

Is that a reference to Ace Attorney btw? Heh, should play that game one day 

That's the hardest part in the whole game lol

I watched the game in full before a playthrough myself, but that part stumped a lot of people. 

On 18/1/2016 at 6:30 PM, Fred the Barber said:

Right now I'm planning to try playing the whole game without a guide - I don't know if that's a good idea or a bad one. The Clannad experience convinced me of two things:

So I'm trying to avoid them for now, and then maybe if I get really stuck I'll grab a guide. Right now, I want to make my own selfish decisions and then live with the consequences. I hear the bad endings are the best reasons to play to G-Senjou, though, so hopefully I make a lot of mistakes.

Great VN. Loved the music, but I do not have any experience with this classical stuff.

The first bad ending made me use a guide from then on. IMO the bad endings make it worse, but I only experienced a few of them.

Started playing Cartagra. I heard that people could get their protagonist killed in Kara no Shoujo, which is a same game like Cartagra. Does this also happen in it?

Also, I am playing it by making my own decision without looking at the walkthrough. Hopefully my protagonist won't die after some choices like FSN. :makina:

Tonight I'm starting Kara No Shoujo. I'm so pumped up!
Cartagra had sooo much potential, great technical side, great dark mood, great art style, music, but all it was wasted on shitty characters, absolutly no detective work from protag, bland plot with unlogicall plotfarts and hilarious branching endings.
But I heard that Kara is much better, so my expectations are high. I really, really hope to not be disappointed like in Cartagra.

4 hours ago, kingdomcome said:

Great VN. Loved the music, but I do not have any experience with this classical stuff.

The first bad ending made me use a guide from then on. IMO the bad endings make it worse, but I only experienced a few of them.

I disagree.  The bad ends are pretty good, except for Kanon's, and she doesn't have that great of a route anyway, IMO.  If all you want is drama and a love story, then skip the bad ends.  If you want to see something a bit darker before heading to the rest of the drama and love story, then read the bad ends.  I loved the characters and I still liked the bad ends.

On 1/18/2016 at 11:30 PM, Fred the Barber said:

Read Tsubaki's bad end first and see what you think before you commit to reading or skipping all the bad ends.  You might have to read a guide in order to get it, I remember it being slightly tricky to get right.

EDIT: Oh, wait, do you have a Japanese hard copy with the patch or the Steam version?  I don't know just how much they altered the Steam version.

22 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

Tonight I'm starting Kara No Shoujo. I'm so pumped up!
Cartagra had sooo much potential, great technical side, great dark mood, great art style, music, but all it was wasted on shitty characters, absolutly no detective work from protag, bland plot with unlogicall plotfarts and hilarious branching endings.
But I heard that Kara is much better, so my expectations are high. I really, really hope to not be disappointed like in Cartagra.

So far I'm enjoying it. Although there are some comedy, the dark mood is still there when it comes to protagonist doing his job. Well, in every murder mystery, the investigator always risk his life and depending on the choices, I think it's possible to solve the mystery in some way. Way to go, though, I only played for two in-game days. 

3 minutes ago, gijimu said:

So far I'm enjoying it. Although there are some comedy, the dark mood is still there when it comes to protagonist doing his job. Well, in every murder mystery, the investigator always risk his life and depending on the choices, I think it's possible to solve the mystery in some way. Way to go, though, I only played for two in-game days. 

Bolded - main issue is, he's no doing his job at all. But this is a discussion to after you finish it. ;)