What are you playing?

@Zenophilious, attack!!

Thx, m8.  I can't let this go unanswered.

Finished Aoi's route in Hoshimemo. Definitely the second best route in the game next to Komomo's.

what-the-fuck-did-you-just-say.jpg

Kidding.  I am genuinely curious as to why you liked her route, though.  Aside from the routes that pretty much lack a real plot, people name her route as what's essentially wrong with Hoshimemo.  Too much meaningless drama and annoying, whiny characters seem to be the main complaints,  and Isuzu is the postergirl of meaningless drama and being whiny and annoying.  I hated her so much I flat out refused to read her route.  I then witnessed the scene where Chinami accidentally broke her stupid little telescope while skipping through the majority of her route, and that solidified my hate for her.  I had the rest of the events explained to me and her route sounded like absolute garbage.

Finished Aoi's route in Hoshimemo. Definitely the second best route in the game next to Komomo's.

Hidden Content

A big asset she had was when she went dere (it was cute) but I was genuinely interested on how she handled the situation, which was to shut down completely. I understand how people would find that annoying but it kind of fits her character well and is a very human response. I liked that through the first half of her route and the common route she was very cold to other people but she was really just building a wall to defend herself from relationships so she couldn't get hurt again from losing them. When she finally started building relationships again and the incident with the telescope happened (she's always been bad with the supernatural; completely ignores it. I almost can't blame her for it) she was afraid of losing them again, so she just shut down. It may not be the most rational thing but emotions are rarely ever rational, and her interlude scenes do a good job describing her emotions at those times. I kind of thought that aspect of it was well done. You after the telescope incident kind of bothered me but it was for a short period of time and from his point of view it kind of made sense since you can't really have a relationship with him and not his sister.

In sum, Aoi's problem was that her feelings were stupid emotional paranoia but because I think the narrative (especially her interludes) did a good job describing it and why she feels the way she does that I didn't mind it and in fact enjoyed it. If you think the narrative did a bad job describing that then I guess I understand why people hate that route. I had no idea I was in such a minority. :michiru: 

Isuzu did nothing wrong. Even Nagisa Furukawa would've had a hard time trying to looking sympathetic with this shitty script.

You see, normally "Defrosting Ice Queen"-stories work on a simply premise and follow a similar structure: 

1. The ice queen character rejects [whatever variable the story has]

2. Over time, the ice queen slowly opens up and we get to see glances of what's underneath that shell.

3. In the end, the walls break down and the ice queen's other side and her suppressed need for [whatever variable the story has] is revealed for you to enjoy.

Aoi Isuzu's route had way too much of the first point and not enough of the last. Finishing the thawing process takes until 70% into the story and then the plot proceeds to jump right into the next drama sequence. That's bad, because we don't actually get to spend enough time with Aoi's "good" side at all and can't bask ourselves in the fruits of all that effort we have put into the cause. 

If the frozen part takes too much time at the expense of the payoff, the reader loses interest, because all of that work just wasn't worth it.

And no, I'm not saying that every story should be the same. But if you're writing a romance story with the premise of romancing girls, you should probably put some fucking romance into your script!

Finally got around to "finishing" Ever17. You see, what I did was barely skim the last two routes while playing Pokemon. Auto read + Pokemon = Bare able. 

Might have turned out different if I actually read the majority of the lines but I semi-doubt it. Need something to spark some interest in reading a VN again. Flirty, cute, going on dates,  and a bunch of romance. Any suggestions? I don't mind if it has a more serious undertone but it requires flirtation. If not then back to the mango's for me :vinty:

Finally got around to "finishing" Ever17. You see, what I did was barely skim the last two routes while playing Pokemon. Auto read + Pokemon = Bare able. 

Might have turned out different if I actually read the majority of the lines but I semi-doubt it. Need something to spark some interest in reading a VN again. Flirty, cute, going on dates,  and a bunch of romance. Any suggestions? I don't mind if it has a more serious undertone but it requires flirtation. If not then back to the mango's for me :vinty:

you have a lot of vns that you're playing according to VNDB, maybe finish those off first? :P

Isuzu did nothing wrong. Even Nagisa Furukawa would've had a hard time trying to looking sympathetic with this shitty script.

You see, normally "Defrosting Ice Queen"-stories work on a simply premise and follow a similar structure: 

1. The ice queen character rejects [whatever variable the story has]

2. Over time, the ice queen slowly opens up and we get to see glances of what's underneath that shell.

3. In the end, the walls break down and the ice queen's other side and her suppressed need for [whatever variable the story has] is revealed for you to enjoy.

Aoi Isuzu's route had way too much of the first point and not enough of the last. Finishing the thawing process takes until 70% into the story and then the plot proceeds to jump right into the next drama sequence. That's bad, because we don't actually get to spend enough time with Aoi's "good" side at all and can't bask ourselves in the fruits of all that effort we have put into the cause. 

If the frozen part takes too much time at the expense of the payoff, the reader loses interest, because all of that work just wasn't worth it.

And no, I'm not saying that every story should be the same. But if you're writing a romance story with the premise of romancing girls, you should probably put some fucking romance into your script!

No, there's nothing wrong with writing characters who aren't nice, and if Isuzu simply didn't want to be his friend that would be fine as well. But, the problem is her quirk involves telling you to kill yourself. Like I understand it's meant to be a joke, but after awhile it stops being so much funny as it is just really asshole-ish. 

Edited by Chuee

you have a lot of vns that you're playing according to VNDB, maybe finish those off first? :P

Geh... maybe I should remove that link.

So I started Tears to Tiara.  Fun story once it actually got past the regular SoL crap that I skipped.  Currently sitting at where Arawn returns.  My biggest problem is the endless, pointless, uncharacterized castle strolls.  They do negligible amounts for developing the characters and are needless filler designed to pad out advancement of the story after you already hit character level limits.  The party composition combat was really hilarious once I figured out how to cheat the system.  I made two archers, gave them both longbows, and manually instruct them to eviscerate priests.  They oneshot them before they get the chance to cast.  From there it's just Arthur + Arawn frontlines, supported by the two spear weilders, and Rionnan + Ogam for heals.  The system is so broken that I set it to "use judgement" and I'm clearing missions on normal with a 5 level deficit.  The story isn't entirely predictable, but the drama sure as hell is.  Arthur's conflict was "lolsowut", and Rionnan is hilariously unpitiable.  It's at the point where I'm more concerned about the world development than character progression. 

Also, why the hell is Arawn fine shagging all the other women, yet with Rionnan he is like "oh, so she does love me. okay then."  It's so fucking silly and out of character.  With all the other women he is assertive with them for some time before they 'confess', yet he waits for Rionnan?  I can't just write off that character bias as "Pwyll's descendant".

I also started Aselia the Eternal.  I needed some break from those hilarious onslaught of h-scenes of Tears.  Anyway I am in the prologue and in the scene where our protagonist Whiney McSleepy-kun is selected as the main role of a play.  As I head off to bed I pray to god this doesn't play the plot card "it was all a dream" or "you LIVE the play" or something like that.  That would be utterly devastatingly fatal to any conclusion the story could possibly have.  If that happens I'll once again relegate this one to "I'm more interested in the world progression than the characters who have no purpose" and "the fun is in the journey" while "there is no light at the end of the tunnel".

Pray tell me I'm mistaken on this plot.

Stop laughing, guys! I'm in Aoi's team, too. :vinty:

Disliked, Unsubscribed & Unfollowed.

~~

I have recovered from the trauma I received from my first KnS bad ending. Luckily, I don't think any other bad end could trump what that one made me feel, but we'll see.

Didn't make much progress, just went for the Orihime end, and the branching March 17 ends

So we can't save Orihime huh ;-; she either stays silent 'til the very end, or finally talks at the very end, bangs Reiji, and then they both get hacked up (die). Eh, doesn't matter, had sex ^_^

The things that can happen to Kazuna ._. she either lives, dies, or loses a leg and her uterus to "live a life of idleness". It's funny cuz for some reason I assumed she had plot armor, but no no no, if you screw up the detectiveness you pay big time.

Random: I had Reiji make love to Toko right away, wonder how that'll effect future events. Barring the age gap, these two seem the most compatible w/ each other. Certainly not Shugo x Kazuna tier compatibility, but good enough, and Toko's pretty ^_^

So I started Tears to Tiara.  Fun story once it actually got past the regular SoL crap that I skipped.  Currently sitting at where Arawn returns.  My biggest problem is the endless, pointless, uncharacterized castle strolls.  They do negligible amounts for developing the characters and are needless filler designed to pad out advancement of the story after you already hit character level limits.  The party composition combat was really hilarious once I figured out how to cheat the system.  I made two archers, gave them both longbows, and manually instruct them to eviscerate priests.  They oneshot them before they get the chance to cast.  From there it's just Arthur + Arawn frontlines, supported by the two spear weilders, and Rionnan + Ogam for heals.  The system is so broken that I set it to "use judgement" and I'm clearing missions on normal with a 5 level deficit.  The story isn't entirely predictable, but the drama sure as hell is.  Arthur's conflict was "lolsowut", and Rionnan is hilariously unpitiable.  It's at the point where I'm more concerned about the world development than character progression. 

Hidden Content

The SoL parts are pretty boring and those h-scenes get really repetitive. But I'd say that overall it is a good game, definitely had the potential to be something much greater but it's still enjoyable. The part I liked the most was it's lore. The chapters I enjoyed the most were the ones filled with flashbacks. Was always more interested in what had occurred in the past rather than the current events. I'd say that blitz through till the ending half of the game.

ok I guess ignorance is bliss 

7g5sz5T.jpg

Yep it just says "it' doesnt look well for kana" avoid the whole medical explanation because why not? nobody will find out and complain about it and this is considered a good translation :sachi:

leaving aside that topic which I wont comment anymore, this novel is pretty bad, at least for me it was... I need to get one more ending but I don't think is going to change my opinion.

the whole incest thing and the dying drama wasnt handled very well in my opinion, can't say it's bad but I didn't like it so i wont rate it.

Edited by Deep Blue

Guided by my dream and my curiosity I decided to pick up Clannad and find out why it's consider so influential. I'm few routes in (Misae, Kyou, Yukine and Kotomi) and quite liking it.

So far my favorite route has been Yukine's.

Yukine's route had very clear theme and the minimalistic presentation worked really well. The route wasn't too long, or at least it didn't felt like it was. I also really liked how nothing very impactful happened, not all relationships need to have some sort of conflict, and that was actually one the strong points of the route. The peaceful progression of the Tomoya's and Yukine's relationship felt both very natural and enjoyable, in a good contrast to the more moody route(s). There was some kind serene beauty in their mundane interaction, especially in lap pillow scenes, that sometimes the peaceful atmosphere of the reference room felt almost tangible.   

Groan.  

This is my reaction to Aselia's tutorial. I just finished the first mission and it's woefully lacking.

I mean seriously, it barely explains anything useful.  Summed up it says: Blue is for attacking, Green is for Defending, and Red is generally support, while Estrangers can do anything.  They only use the skill for the position they are assigned to, and the skills have limited uses.

What happened to explaining that resist% is for defending against support attacks while defense is for defending against attacker attacks. There's one death.

What happened to explaining what attacks what.  That's numerous close calls.

What happened to explaining the order of combat? That's another two deaths.

I begrudge to think about how they plan on explaining the building system.  Hopefully it, like training, is entirely self explanatory.

Now that the first part of the first battle is done, I have to stop, find some kind of guide to explain this crap to me because the game failed to do so.  I realize tutorials weren't entirely popular when the game was developed and most of that stuff is in the manual, but this is seriously lackluster.

As for the story itself so far, I can really only say that this main character seems gamma as hell.  He isn't even beta, he's worse.  I don't think I've ever seen someone so submissive before.  Sure he is under restraints, and has his sister held hostage, but I can't imagine how he can be so incredibly pathetic.  I seriously hope that at some point I get to be able to purposely sabotage this country.  If that happens, this game will get an 11/10 for being creative with the plot, because as it stands, there is less than a 1/10,000 of the protagonist doing anything of the sort.

Tried playing Beach Bounce as I saw it in my library, I don't know how it got there. Art hurts my eyes. Will leave it running to get drops and sell them. Also, I've amassed quite a few bad looking vn games that I can probably get some of that trading card money.

"Kill Me"

iRLEBWv.png

Kimi to Boku to Eden no Ringo: 

In particular to Runa’s route. It did get quite “intense” towards the end, with the appearance of that rapist motherfucker. I thought it was pretty damn hilarious to see him in the school but then it lost its dumbness when he went all rapist. Thankfully MC was able to stop that shit. I liked it a lot, would have liked VO for MC but that would kind of be weird since he has to sound like her too.

Some sweet CG too. I do appreciate a good kiss CG.

fPQ2NGn.pngAWvIRMI.png