What are you playing?

Finished Sekien no Inganock for the August reading club about a week ago. I thoroughly enjoyed it! Now I'm wondering at the lack of a September reading club vote...

In the meantime, in keeping with my recent habit of alternating between serious and light-hearted games, I started playing Majikoi (being merely half a year behind the hype train on playing a VN is actually better than my usual rate).

I finished Miyako's route earlier today (because I couldn't not immediately go after the girl with the hilarious sign). Not planning on doing her after story, as I expect it's just an excuse for more H scenes? Probably Chris's route next, since Miyako's route left me with fond thoughts of Chris; Wanko is the closest to my "type", but I'm saving that route for later, since I hear it's the most feelsy route.

Thoughts so far:

- Art (both sprites and CGs) and character design are excellent, and the style is immediately familiar and appealing (in contrast with, say, Sekien no Inganock, which was also excellent, but which took some getting used to because of the style).

- Music is very good. The happy poppy daily life tracks remind me of similar tracks in Persona soundtracks, which is high praise from me.

- Characters are clearly not intended to be believable, and they aren't, but nonetheless they are amusing and interesting. I find the characters here have a little more depth to them than I am used to seeing from a VN which is not focusing on drama and interpersonal tension as the main driver (I'm thinking of this as mostly a comedy)

- The H scenes are a bit excessive for my taste (in number [or really density; they seem to pack them all right in a row] and length, rather than in content), but what can you do.

- Overall, it comes off as a very high quality VN (you might even call it premium, if for some reason you didn't hate Kosugi); I'm glad to be playing it, and looking forward to the rest!

I finished Miyako's route earlier today (because I couldn't not immediately go after the girl with the hilarious sign). Not planning on doing her after story, as I expect it's just an excuse for more H scenes?

Yeah you're not missing much, it's just some extra fap material. ("good" fap material, but still just fap material)

Finished One ~To the Radiant Season~. I gotta say... The plot feels AWFULLY familiar.

Disappearing protag who appears again several months later... Well, at least the circumstances were different but I still feel as if its too similar.

Pretty good, well aside from having the worst heroine to ever appear in a VN. *cough*Shiina*cough* Not a strong nakige if you've read anything else by Key. 

Gonna read Never 7, Ever 17, and Remember11 next. 

Edit: By the way, can any of ya'all fine people upload soundserver.dll for Never7 if you got it? Fuwanovel download link to it is broken.

Finished One ~To the Radiant Season~. I gotta say... The plot feels AWFULLY familiar.

Disappearing protag who appears again several months later... Well, at least the circumstances were different but I still feel as if its too similar.

Pretty good, well aside from having the worst heroine to ever appear in a VN. *cough*Shiina*cough* Not a strong nakige if you've read anything else by Key. 

Edit: By the way, can any of ya'all fine people upload soundserver.dll for Never7 if you got it? Fuwanovel download link to it is broken.

use this patch http://www.mediafire.com/download/obycu8ymmhb4xxw/Install_N7_En.exe

Ever17 and Remember11 are the tits, and Never7 is pretty nice too

I started playing Fukai ni Nemuru Oujo no Abaddon. When I randomly tumbled upon it, I just knew I had to play it. I mean, it's like corpse party, but there's also H-scenes and other fucked up stuff it allows. 

I read through the prologue, and it was pretty interesting. I like the retro art style and exploration is fun as well. There's also combat, but I didn't get experience it properly yet. The horror suffers a little because of my clumsy Japanese, but the feeling of tension that comes from unpredictable horrors is still there. It helps that the text is pretty much only hiragana, although it took some time to get used to the retro font.

I have yet to see anything really scary or messed up, but I figured it would be best to take only girls to my party. My (morbid) curiosity is killing me and I just can't wait to see what this game has to offer. It's been a while since I was this exited about a VN. 

Currently playing Grisaia no kajitsu, Kamidori Alchemy Meister and Steins;Gate.

I also recently finished Higarashi when they cry, and Sengoku Rance.

Sorry for any spelling errors.

:3

That's quite the thick list - I'm the sort that can only read one vn at a time, or else I feel like I lose some of the atmophere from it if I switch between them.

Those are all some really good titles though :) (even alchemy meister - though, more for the gameplay then the story :P)

Stalled my KnS re-reading a bit in favour of HatsuSaku which proves to be surprisingly interesting. Really liking the MC - why are MCs going through some sort of a crisis so fun? I need a VN that focuses on this hardcore, the MC should get rekt, and I should get rekt with him/her.  :illya:

Otome Riron~ More fashion design setting hijinks await + trap. Fun stuff.

Aaaah I am looking forward to this way more than I should have, what is this. :D

Well I'm quite a bit late to be posting this now but I have finished two routes epilogues in Sharin no Kuni namely Natsumi's and Sachi's.

I ended up feeling a bit too lazy to go-through it once again (even though it's only ctrl-skip) and it's semi-stalled right now.

Since I was busy when I finished it for the first time I'll give my thoughts on it now.

The game was good, I enjoyed it completely. The protag Kenichi was great too. The setting was explored wonderfully and well portrayed. The antagonist was first-rate, Hozuki was amazing just like Maou(from G-sen is one of my fav antagonists).

The ending scene was well done and sent a good last message to the readers. Natsumi's epilogue wasn't that great while Sachi's was .... :kosame:

For me the best part was the revelation/twist at the beginning of chapter 5.

You have no idea how surprised I was when I realized where all that Onee-sama talk was going. That foreshadowing and small tid-bits about the punishment system and subtle hints as to what the maximum penalty were ...... God that scene was brilliant. While I normally am able to guess all the twists and foreshadowings, SnK had the perfect mix of keeping it obscure enough and at the same time gave enough hints too. I was completely impressed by how they handled it.

Oujo no Abaddon is pretty great game.

I managed to beat it once, but it feels like I've only scratched the surface. I had to restart once because I ran out of healing items, and even though I didn't do anything majorly different I saw some completely new events while playing through the same parts the second time. Small things like who do rest with and how many affection points you have seem to make a huge difference. And that was just with the same characters, I wonder how differently the story will turn out if I pick other characters?

The exploration gameplay is fun, but I'm not sure how I feel about the combat. It makes the game tense since you have to carefully manage your limited healing supplies, but it's also super simple and not very interesting. It's also really luck based. Critical hits deal ridiculous damage, sometimes even 10x and are almost needed at times. There's also incurable status effect, so you can just hope to not get hit by it and be prepared the reload your save. The combat is actually not as bad as it sounds after you get used to it, but there are some pretty annoying segments.

But the story was interesting enough that it kept me playing and the pacing is pretty good overall. Surprising events, intense chases and other stuff kept me on my toes all the time.

And the story is dark. There's not that much gore like in Corpse Party, but there are plenty of other kinds of squicky stuff and lots of psychological horror as well. 

There was also plenty heartwarming moments along the way, and in the midst of despair and darkness they felt even stronger.  

Because I pursued a good ending route or something I didn't see any super messed up stuff, other than quite a few rape scenes that didn't concern the main characters, but it seems like there's possibilities to set up some NTR and other weird stuff.

I just can't wait to try all kinds of different things and see what will happen...  

Bought Grisaia no Kajitsu yesterday and (after some fannying about downloading things that didn't quite work initially for some reason, thanks Denpasoft -_-) am currently jamming through what I must assume is the introductory segment (there have been no choices yet, although I am aware they're few and far between).

I love it. Yuuji is without a doubt the most interesting protagonist I've ever come across, and I'm intrigued as to where the story is heading, in its different routes. For more or less £20, I'm already feeling content that this was more than worth it. And now I also understand a load of the Fuwanovel emojis and this makes me very very happy  :sachi: 

So I was reading some comyu, Im on Hisoka route it seems, and got pleasantly surprised by

the point they were going into their first gig event battle and Izawa suddenly just shoots Akihito through the head. And then things turned all crazy, Kagome killing Izawa, the maid raping the frog to death...I was like what?! major PLOT TWIST?

but then got unpleasantly surprised by

the realisation it was all an illusion caused by the tentacle crabby

:mellow:

dropped canvas 2, i just wasn't feeling it, started comyu, when i looked at it for some reason i taught this was just gonna be another majikoi, a over the top eridiculous comedy but it actually turns out not really, also I'm pretty early on but this feels like the most awkard group of people out there, they're not really friends but not just aquaintences either, in the words of the great gakuto they are at the point were they can point out the nose hair but they can't quite pull it out yet

also Y U NO O-Haru-chwan route? And also Y U NO Yoruko route? and most importantly Y U NO CHIEN route???