What are you playing?

Half the time he seems to be doing it deliberately to build up his image, but half the time he actually seems to believe everyone is actually spies from the "organization" lol.  Either way, it's definitely entertaining.

SERN is watching us from the shadows after all--keep a lingering eye prepared or else you may simply disappear off the face of the earth with little to trace back to your existence in the first place. That man who held the door open for you at your local convenience store the other day was doing so to track your response--he's an agent working the shadows in truth. Watch your back as I watch mine comrade.

El Psy Kongroo: Steins;Gate awaits us.

Watch your back as I watch mine comrade.

TBH after I read Makina route in Grisaia, specifically the parts where Yuuji tells her how to constantly turn around randomly to catch surveillance (and find her way back), I found myself randomly checking my back all the time in public.  Totally going to catch those organization spies when they come for me!

Thanks for the offer, for now I think I'm just going to read other stuff since there's still a bunch of good translated stuff I can get through.  I actually have a general understanding of what's supposed to be happening, from another thread, but just can't force myself to get through the mess of a translation in the beginning. =/

TBH after I read Makina route in Grisaia, specifically the parts where Yuuji tells her how to constantly turn around randomly to catch surveillance (and find her way back), I found myself randomly checking my back all the time in public.  Totally going to catch those organization spies when they come for me!

The 8-bits is more of a retro joke than a real story

I wasn't sure if it was a joke or not, just that it doesn't seem to get very favorable reviews. There's also a light novel coming out in February(?) that's going to be the canonical sequel to S;G, but the character designs aren't nearly up-to-par with Huke's original character designs :\

You should try to play it on a calculator. I've heard it enhances the experience quite a lot if you play it during otherwise important moments.

Finally I have a good reason for having bought a TI-89 graphing calculator!

Trust me, it's a 1 hour lengh non-canon 8bits tribute to the era of 8bits games.

It's only an hour long?! Crap I don't remember seeing that on vndb whenever it was I looked it up. Wow, I had figured it was a lot longer

I can testify to this.

(warning: big-ass, low quality picture)

rPlkGuJ.jpg

I figured Tiago was kidding when he said that. That's hilarious

Still reading Higurashi. I think I'm a bit over halfway done with episode 6.

Rena just shared her parasyte theory with Keiichi.

Overall, I have to say that I'm liking this less than Umineko. I kind of wish I had played this first, as I might have enjoyed it a bit more by not knowing what I was missing out on, but I think I enjoyed going into Umineko with no expectations. Probably the biggest thing I dislike about Higurashi is the lack of an overarching plot thread. The start of every chapter is a clean slate. All of the characters are reset and the story begins anew each time. Of course, this can still change in the next couple chapters, but the fact that it's gone this far without that is a pretty big minus in my book. This strongly correlates with my personal tastes, for TV shows I prefer serial stories to episodic ones. I don't like that there is no real lasting character development so far, and while the game presents the story in such a way that you slowly learn more about what's really happening as you progress through the episodes, it doesn't really do it in a satisfying way. Even if this does change (and there are hints that it might) it may be too little too late. I think Umineko took the basic structure created with Higurashi (witnessing a tragedy repeat several times with different victims and perpetrators) and added some much needed components to it like an actual connective plot with strong character development among the main characters across all of the episodes, right from the start.

I'm kind of surprised Higurashi Kai has an 8.73 average VNDB rating, maybe I should expect an improvement coming up.

edit: There's another thing, when I compare the two stories so far. Umineko's mystery is much more "pure". It's funny, playing Higurashi second kind of gives you a lot of "oh, so THAT'S what he meant!" moments when reflecting on all of the meta-commentary Umineko provided on the mystery genre. Seems like Ryukishi was pretty critical of Higurashi within Umineko. I'll also say that although I'm being critical of Higurashi here, I'm still enjoying it a decent amount.