What are you playing?

Okay so I'm in the next arc of Muv Luv Alternative

(MLA spoilers)

OH HOLY SHIT MARIMO-CHAN

OH HOLY FUCKING SHIT IDK WHERE TO BEGIN

I thought I would just be

waiting for Takeru to inevitably get his shit together and get back to the BETA-world somehow...

...then that news broadcast happened and holy shit I had to FORCE myself to save and quit the game

I was damn surprised when Marimo died (the first time), I actually checked three times that she had actually died. Plus the way she died ....... that was the biggest shock in the whole game for me.

All of a sudden I'm reading Higurashi now. I couldn't wait. After I finished Umineko I just needed more. 

A question that hopefully some of you can answer: does the translation fix linked here work with the torrent linked here? I noticed that the script files seem different. I can copy and paste the translation fix into the game folder but they don't replace anything. I haven't noticed any lines being changed, even some of the incorrectly written ones, but I'm not sure if it's because the fix isn't very comprehensive  or if it just didn't work.

All of a sudden I'm reading Higurashi now. I couldn't wait. After I finished Umineko I just needed more. 

A question that hopefully some of you can answer: does the translation fix linked here work with the torrent linked here? I noticed that the script files seem different. I can copy and paste the translation fix into the game folder but they don't replace anything. I haven't noticed any lines being changed, even some of the incorrectly written ones, but I'm not sure if it's because the fix isn't very comprehensive  or if it just didn't work.

Actually there is alot more you can do with Umineko you see. Umineko is a pretty unique mystery in that the answers are not outright revealed, as I am sure you have noticed. And honestly, I just did a second reread of Umineko recently (first time I read it was a year ago), and let me tell you, its almost like reading a completely different story on a second read, especially once you know how to interpret the "fantasy" scenes, reconcile them with the underlaying "mundane" truths, and try to piece them together to find out the "heart" of the culprit, that is the person behind Beatrice. Said person reveals themselves in episode 7, but even then, can you say you understood their motive?

Also, there's a Umineko manga written by Ryushii07 that provides extra visual clues to the mystery. 

Finally but not least , here is a interesting blog about two people who really look at what the core about Umineko is about and their insights are quite mindblowing : http://goatsreadingseacats.tumblr.com/ 

As for Higurashi, its great, but I found Umineko more  enjoyable overall.

As for what I am currently reading, I am on the second heroine's route of comyu (been slowly going through it).

Well, I understand all that. I'm not about to immediately reread Umineko, though.

It seems unfortunate that the fan support for Higurashi is much less than Umineko's. There are no complete voice patches, for instance. They never got around to porting it to ONScripter so they can do a more complete job of backporting the console content. And I still can't figure out if this translation edit patch is doing anything. *sigh*

Well, I understand all that. I'm not about to immediately reread Umineko, though.

It seems unfortunate that the fan support for Higurashi is much less than Umineko's. There are no complete voice patches, for instance. They never got around to porting it to ONScripter so they can do a more complete job of backporting the console content. And I still can't figure out if this translation edit patch is doing anything. *sigh*

There's always the fandisc for Umineko. Admittedly I have no idea of the quality of their translation but I'm probably going to play Hane soon, I finished Umineko like a month ago but I already want my dose again...

As for Higurashi, how good is the voice acting anyway? I suppose it's the same as the anime but I saw it too long ago to remember. I'm not even sure how well it would work for some scenes to be voiced, they'd have to be really well done...

And I looked at the sprites, whether the PS2 ones or the new mangagamer ones I don't find them extremely good. I probably would rather play with the original ones...

Eh, I've read plot summaries of what's in those fandiscs, and... nahh. They actually sound pretty bad.

I absolutely detest the original Higurashi sprites so I'm sticking with the PS2 ones. They aren't great but they're better than the horrible originals. I'm not a fan of the MangaGamer sprites, either. They're made by an eroge artist and it shows, in a bad way.They're also too... moe? I don't know, they just seem like they'd fit a moege better than a horror mystery work like Higurashi. I think Umineko's PS3 sprites were great, though. Good art style, it suits the setting well, not fanservice-y, good CGs, and so on. 

Reached Yoruko's ero scene in Comyu...the route's been good enough though there's something about the pacing of it that's bothering me but I can't quite put my finger on what exactly it is. I can say that as annoying as Akihito's bringing up "the red color" gets, his "this is a gentle kingdom" statement for every...single...thing is by far more annoying. And reading his lines out loud in Christian Bale Batman voice no longer helps :angry: .

Impressions on Asairo so far, after having finished Chapter 1...

Spectacular. Seriously, this is already an amazing read and I'm only just starting that of the 2nd Chapter, which is supposedly the longest. Like that of the previous 'Oretsuba', it's the writing that really does this eroge justice (or rather, it just takes an already great VN to even greater heights *.*) . Also, the whole thing so far fits my particular tastes extremely well (especially the characters... Hiyo <3).

I'm not a fan of the MangaGamer sprites, either. They're made by an eroge artist and it shows, in a bad way.They're also too... moe? I don't know, they just seem like they'd fit a moege better than a horror mystery work like Higurashi.

Actually, I think that's the point. Considering this is supposed to look really innocent on the outside. Unforunately, it's too notorious to surprise anyone.

Picked up Otoboku the other day. I liked the anime when I saw it ages ago, so I thought why not. Mizuho is definitely one of my fav VN protags. Maybe second after Yuuji, I'd have to think about it more. The main character being the pretty, soothing and graceful Onee-sama is such a wonderful concept.

I really didn't like Mizuho. He was just too perfect at everything, and that perfection was never earned in the narrative of the story. He's perfect just because. It's really boring and bad writing. At one point he spontaneously becomes a master martial artist able to take down multiple experienced armed thugs in an instant and there is nothing that foreshadows this ability nor is it ever explained after. This goes for everything about him. It's just ridiculous. Despite this all, he's has this passive personality and has zero self confidence. They try to set up some sort of character growth where he becomes more confident throughout the story but I never really felt like that actually happened and instead his lack of confidence just becomes aggravating. 

I really didn't like Mizuho. He was just too perfect at everything, and that perfection was never earned in the narrative of the story. He's perfect just because. It's really boring and bad writing. At one point he spontaneously becomes a master martial artist able to take down multiple experienced armed thugs in an instant and there is nothing that foreshadows this ability nor is it ever explained after. This goes for everything about him. It's just ridiculous. Despite this all, he's has this passive personality and has zero self confidence. They try to set up some sort of character growth where he becomes more confident throughout the story but I never really felt like that actually happened and instead his lack of confidence just becomes aggravating. 

I completed my third route in Grisaia no Kajitsu. 

So far, none could hold up to the writing of Makina's. I'm a bit upset, that neither Michiru nor Sachi go into Yuuji's character that much. I probably would not have understood a bunch of situations, references or remarks, if I hadn't read Makina's route before. 

Michiru's good epilogue was just the sweetest thing, though. I grinned like an idiot for atleast thirty minutes straight.

Because of what I've read here on the board, I'm saving Amane for last and probably start with Yumiko either later today or tomorrow. 

So far, none could hold up to the writing of Makina's. I'm a bit upset, that neither Michiru nor Sachi go into Yuuji's character that much. I probably would not have understood a bunch of situations, references or remarks, if I hadn't read Makina's route before.

This is a direct consequence of them not being written by the main writer (Fujisaki wrote the common route, Makina and Amane). It's quite clear I think, especially on Michiru's route, that the writer doesn't have a real grasp on the characters he's writing. Yuuji felt completely out of place in Michiru's route.

This is a direct consequence of them not being written by the main writer (Fujisaki wrote the common route, Makina and Amane). It's quite clear I think, especially on Michiru's route, that the writer doesn't have a real grasp on the characters he's writing. Yuuji felt completely out of place in Michiru's route.

Oh, I actually didn't know that. The more you know...

I should've suspected something like that, though. It's hard not to notice the difference in tone and detail fairly quick.  

One of the reasons I prefer futari no elder.

I do not remember her. Who is she?

I forgot any other scene with her (well, that just show how minor/unimportant she is in the anime), so I hope these screenshot will do:

hQfm9F2.jpg

q4e3WNd.jpg

She is the red haired one (if that isn't obvious already). This is the scene where there is that rumor about "if you touched Taiga, you will become happy" (Episode 14). She's also always lovey-dovey with Kota, which is the guy in the second pic (at least in the VN, since I don't really remember the anime that much).

Still reading through Minori's route, I didn't have the time to read VN lately (damn it love live).

I agree on the martial arts part at least (I'm not up to that part and don't remember it from the anime if it was there), so that's concerning. It's why I prefer genius characters to not also be extremely fit or good fighters, for the sake of balance. But while I don't approve of random skills like the kickass fighting, I'm still enjoying the character overall. I tend not to like overly aggressive and/or perverted leads, and a graceful Onee-sama trap is about as far from that as you can get. It creates a very interesting dynamic that you don't see often if at all. I could do without the "woe is me" gags when he's complimented on his femininity, but I guess we can't all be Mariandale.

I forgot any other scene with her (well, that just show how minor/unimportant she is in the anime), so I hope these screenshot will do:

hQfm9F2.jpg

q4e3WNd.jpg

She is the red haired one (if that isn't obvious already). This is the scene where there is that rumor about "if you touched Taiga, you will become happy" (Episode 14). She's also always lovey-dovey with Kota, which is the guy in the second pic (at least in the VN, since I don't really remember the anime that much).

Still reading through Minori's route, I didn't have the time to read VN lately (damn it love live).

So you NTR the guy?

Woah Ryuuji. Nice going there.

I'm not really sure but since you access her route from the main menu instead of the usual you-unlock-the-choice-to-get-to-her-route-in-game when you finished all the endings, I'm guessing it might be some sort of alternate universe where Sakura and Ryuuji is really close and she like Ryuuji instead of Kota, although NTR is nice too. It's just my speculation though, maybe anyone can confirm this?