What are you playing?

Started playing Da Capo three days ago. I thought it was about time I tried playing through a moege.

I've currently finished four routes (Mako, Moe, Sakura, Nemu) and so far, Sakura and Nemu had the most interesting ones. Reading a little about the next games' synopses and stuff had me getting more interested, so I'll probably continue onto the next games when I'm given the chance to get them.

I didn't expect to encounter a semblance of lore in the series. I was pleasantly surprised when they threw subtle images and symbols at me that revolves around cherry blossoms and dreams. So far (besides Mako's), the routes were consistent with the overall theme of dreams that end as the cherry blossoms fall. I'm liking it so far.

Pretty disappointed with Moe's route though. For all its potential with the main conflict revolving around drug overdose and past traumas, it sure did dismiss it as fast as I could say, "He wants you to live happily with the life he saved." Pretty unconvincing resolution imo.

PS. It took me forever to remember how to use spoiler tags.

Edited by KosakiFag

Finally done with Seinarukana. Finished 3 main routes out of 6 in total, and I'll finish at that (the routes are pretty much the same anyway).

Overall, what can I say? The gameplay is fun (though it definitely gets old by the end of the third walkthrough). The story is nice enough for a light read full of typical shounen tropes, though it's definitely disappointing compared to the prequel and to what it could be. I'd say, if Aselia has a great story that tries to do too many things and suffers as a result from the lack of polish, the story in Senarukana doesn't really try to do anything outstanding, and it often feels like it's just there to fill the spots between the gameplay scenes. Its also pretty episodic, as almost each chapter has its own story, and they are very loosely connected with each other.

Another thing I didn't really like is how this game handles its route system. It's basically the linear story with very slight alterations depending on which girl you choose, and with different endings for each girl. Aselia has the similar route system, but the percentage of unique scenes was still higher, and there were a lot of scenes that only show up after you finish the whole game once or twice. As a result, the game doesn't really give you any substantial reward for finishing it several times, but it still sucks that you miss some information that is only given in some routes. Imo, this game would be better if it was completely linear.

So, anyway, it was a nice relatively light-hearted read that probably didn't deserve 100+ hours I spent on it. I'm a big fantasy fan, so it's nice to see more similar stories like that in the VN format. 6.5/10.

PS. Also, wait, does this VN actually have a love triangle that involves only secondary characters?! :gasp: That's... rare, so say the least.

Spoiler

Too bad that it never really went anywhere.

On 15/06/2019 at 10:08 AM, Dreamysyu said:

Seinarukana thoughts

Just wondering, did you play through Satsuki's route? I thought it was the only route that was a little better than what you usually see on JRPGs (the cutscenes of it are on youtube if you're not playing it).

4 hours ago, onorub said:

Just wondering, did you play through Satsuki's route? I thought it was the only route that was a little better than what you usually see on JRPGs (the cutscenes of it are on youtube if you're not playing it).

I did. I finished Nozomi, Satsuki and Narukana, in this order. I definitely enjoyed Satsuki the most of the three, and I should've skipped Nozomi.

It's 3AM or something and I finally finished Da Capo.

Kotori's route was full of romance. Getting into Da Capo, the kind of content it had was exactly the kind of content I was expecting from a romance-focused moege. It was refreshing to finally read something within what I imagined the story to be. I loved Miharu's route, and it made me realize who real best girl is. I love bananas now. Etc route was pretty interesting, and is a nice play with the overall theme of the game.

After reading it all and unlocking all scenarios, I think I can say that Da Capo exceeded my expectations as a moege (or whatever the more appropriate term is for these moege derivatives). It lives up to its reputation, at least.

However, I do have some qualms about some of the routes I just finished. I guess I'll just put those in my journal so I don't spoil people who just want to read through buzz here.

Finished d2b VS Deardrops -Cross the Future- a few minutes ago. I couldn't care less about what happens to the members of Deardrops, considering how disappointed I was with that VN, but I decided to read d2b VS Deardrops because I've seen several people refer to it as a satisfying end to the KiraKira story. It wasn't.

Spoiler

It basically ended the same way as before, with Kirari going off on her own to tour the world while Shikanosuke sits at home in Japan, waiting for her to come back so he can see her for a brief moment before she goes away again for God knows how long. (They actually refer to the half-year wait mentioned in the VN as "short", meaning the time they're apart is usually longer than that.)
Shikanosuke says that he's happy with the current situation, but I find it hard to believe that's actually the case. I sure as hell wouldn't be. Just uttering the words "I will be happy" isn't just magically going to make it so. He's still stuck in pretty much the same situation that made him miserable before, and I don't see how he could end up being anything else this time around.
The only satisfying conclusions would be if either:

1. Shikanosuke starts working with Kirari one way or another, so he can stay with her while she's on tour.
2. The entire Second Literature Club decide to stay together.
3. Kirari decides to prioritize Shikanosuke over touring the world, by quitting altogether or working with music in Japan.

27 minutes ago, Hakunon said:

So, I just finished a route on Yandere. I can't understand how people can enjoy this and say that it's good unironically. 

Just now, JoshB2084 said:

Yeah, pretty bad. I finished it, then deleted it.

I don't think anybody actually likes Yandere unironically. At least, I've never seen a single positive comment about it other than some shock value.

If one is looking for Yandere games, I wholeheartedly recommend Crimson Gray.

44 minutes ago, Hakunon said:

So, I just finished a route on Yandere. I can't understand how people can enjoy this and say that it's good unironically. 

14 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I don't think anybody actually likes Yandere unironically. At least, I've never seen a single positive comment about it other than some shock value.

Never played this game (and never will, knowing its reputation), but after I looked through vndb profiles that rated it with 10, I can more or less confirm that all but one seem very likely to be troll voters.

Rather than wait for the remake that is supposed to be released in English this fall, I've decided to start reading the original YU-NO.
Is the ability to save unlocked later on? I'm at the beginning of the prologue where you meet the redhead and get the first choice in the game, and I can't find a save option anywhere. There is no right-click menu, and the bar at the top only consists of "Quit Game" and a few display options.

4 minutes ago, Seraphim88 said:

Rather than wait for the remake that is supposed to be released in English this fall, I've decided to start reading the original YU-NO.
Is the ability to save unlocked later on? I'm at the beginning of the prologue where you meet the redhead and get the first choice in the game, and I can't find a save option anywhere. There is no right-click menu, and the bar at the top only consists of "Quit Game" and a few display options.

I think it just saves automatically or something like that.

I'll probably try playing it myself before the remake comes out. Actually, I already tried starting it twice, but, don't know, just can't get into it for some reason. Seems like something I would enjoy. I quite liked playing old adventure games in the past.

28 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

I think it just saves automatically or something like that.

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think there are any autosaves.
After I progressed a bit, a "System" option, with a "Save" option within, appeared in the dialogue window. It seems to disappear whenever there's another character on screen, though.

I finished playing Steam Prison and I liked it quite a bit

The protag was good, the world building was pretty solid, and I enjoyed playing through all the route, well, except for Valentine's.

I think the true route was the best out of the bunch

Also,

Spoiler

being Fin is suffering. I'm glad Cyrus didn't end up with him

On 6/20/2019 at 3:23 PM, Hakunon said:

Yeah, Yandere was pretty fucking garbage. That scumfuck deserved everything he got.

Crimson Gray and it's sequel is actually very enjoyable however.

20 minutes ago, Ranzo said:

I finished playing Steam Prison and I liked it quite a bit

The protag was good, the world building was pretty solid, and I enjoyed playing through all the route, well, except for Valentine's.

I think the true route was the best out of the bunch

Also,

Hide contents

being Fin is suffering. I'm glad Cyrus didn't end up with him

I really loved how the game let you play out the same scenario in so many wildly different ways.

Finished KARAKARA and Analogue: A Hate Story.

Nothing much to say for KARAKARA. It was what I expected it to be. Although the plot would have been more engaging had it been given more emphasis, the shortness of the game and its understandable focus on its moe aspect dampen its significance. Would probably take people at most 3 hours to finish? I did it in less than 2. Well, at least the art was cute. Special mention for its music tracks though. Was really catchy, especially the one that plays when Leon drives in his car.

Analogue: A Hate Story was as fun as I heard it to be. Been a long time since I played a VN with its own kind of gameplay, so going through this one was refreshing. The way it told its story was also really nice to the point that I'd call it pretty appropriate for the kind of story it was telling.

Spoiler

You being the judge of how far you want to go before ending the playthrough (via interactions with the two AIs and the logs you show them) is pretty damn nice considering the kind of story it's telling is one of hate. The two AIs represent sides in conflict about a horrible event that transpired on the Mugunghwa, and you choose which side of the story you want to hear more. Either way, hearing only one person's side of the story breeds hate for the other, and honestly, it's pretty well represented by the feelings *Mute had for the Pale Bride.

I'm not into its romance aspect too much, but it was nice working together with two cute AIs.

Go buy it if you ever have money to spare.

Specific note for Analogue: I couldn't take the game seriously at times because I couldn't get it out of my mind how much *Hyun-ae reminds me of @Fiddle and Christmas hats.

7 hours ago, Kosakyun said:

Analogue: A Hate Story was as fun as I heard it to be. Been a long time since I played a VN with its own kind of gameplay, so going through this one was refreshing. The way it told its story was also really nice to the point that I'd call it pretty appropriate for the kind of story it was telling.

Reveal hidden contents

You being the judge of how far you want to go before ending the playthrough (via interactions with the two AIs and the logs you show them) is pretty damn nice considering the kind of story it's telling is one of hate. The two AIs represent sides in conflict about a horrible event that transpired on the Mugunghwa, and you choose which side of the story you want to hear more. Either way, hearing only one person's side of the story breeds hate for the other, and honestly, it's pretty well represented by the feelings *Mute had for the Pale Bride.

I'm not into its romance aspect too much, but it was nice working together with two cute AIs.

Go buy it if you ever have money to spare.

Specific note for Analogue: I couldn't take the game seriously at times because I couldn't get it out of my mind how much *Hyun-ae reminds me of @Fiddle and Christmas hats.

I think I'm one of the few people who prefer the sequel, Hate Plus, but I will recommend it nevertheless. I preferred the events they depicted there.

Just now, Mr Poltroon said:

I think I'm one of the few people who prefers the sequel, Hate Plus, but I will recommend it nevertheless. I preferred the events they depicted there.

I'm honestly looking forward to the sequel. I'll pick it up soon, maybe at the start of next week. I do love me a story that establishes coherency between the different events that transpire within it.

Excited to see what kind of things make civilization go back to.... that.

Bah, I just had to replay quite a bit of YU-NO because the Fuwanovel walkthrough for some reason has a save indicator after a choice you're supposed to save before. I guess I'll have to stay more ahead in the guide from now on (rather than read one line at a time, like I usually do) in order to avoid running into this issue again. I really wish this VN had more than one save slot.

q91eoU.png

Edited by Seraphim88

The walkthrough is wrong one way or another, apparently. Later on when I was told to load the save mentioned above, the guide used the Mansion entrance, which I was asked to save before going to, as a starting point. In other words, I'm guessing you're supposed to save after going to the Mansion entrance (as is also suggested by the line order of the guide), rather than "before going to the mansion entrance", like it actually says.
That's what I'm going with, at least. I hope I've interpreted this right and that I haven't screwed up the rest of the playthrough in some way by presuming this is what the guide is telling me to do.

I just finished first route (Airi's) in Mashiro Iro Symphony.

W O W :o

It was great - if it will maintain similar level for remaining three routes, it's clearly aiming for 8+ score. For a moege it is indeed amazing. Nice humor, great romance, likeable characters, great art, music... I also loved SDCGs that appeared here and there. かわいい...

I'm truly impressed.

On to the next route (but tomorrow... ;) )

Edited by adamstan