What are you playing?

I just finished Crescendo

It was good, though a little bit short. With some after-credits epilogues it would be much better, but still I enjoyed it.

First I went with Kaho/Kyoko route (Kaho's ending, Kyoko's ending and then neutral ending). It was OK, from that pair I think I liked Kyoko's route more.

Spoiler

She's cute. Her 2nd CG, when she rest on Ryo's chest/shoulder was for some reason really emotional for me.

Kaho's part of the route was also good.

Spoiler

When she sings "Scarborough Fair" - oh, how beautiful that was...

And even so-called "bad ending" for this route wasn't really bad, it is more of "normal/neutral" ending, and actually has rather happy feeling to it as well.

That route was your typical school romance story. The other three get much heavier. Yuka's route is probably the best in whole VN. She does rather bad first impression - so I felt about her the same as protagonist did. But when you enter her route, prepare yourself for a ride... I don't want to spoil the whole story. Probably most emotional moment in this route for me was

Spoiler

Date at the amusement park, when Yuka's feelings are described.

And then at the end there's hidden Miyu's route, that hits hard with some KeyMagicTM - the ending actually made me cry.

The game looks good. I had to get used to art style - those eyes looked weird at the beginning, but after a while it was OK, and the girls were really beautiful. It actually looked better than screenshots on VNDB - I'm not sure why is it like that. Backgrounds are nice too. There were two CGs where bodies defied laws of physics (or some parts were badly dislocated ;) )

Spoiler

Kaho in Ryo's room when they were about to kiss - her lower part is bent in a strange way and doesn't seem connected at all to the rest of the body. And Kaori after their h-scene in a car - her right leg doesn't fit at all.

Other than that - no complaints.

I really liked the music - it set the mood well. For some reason, it reminded me of Katawa Shoujo. I know that music in KS is actually different, but I got similar feelings.

Localization could use some more editing - it was readable, but there were lots of awkward phrases. And it suffers from siimilar bug as Kazoku Keikaku - there is one missing line in Miyu's route, where there's voice but no text at all.

Overally - good, although I wish it was a bit longer. 8/10

I'm not sure what to read next. Maybe I'll take short break from VNs waiting for summer Steam sale, and then get Clannad and Symphonic Rain.

Took a mini break from Fureraba, to clear out a short game from my backlog.

To the Moon isn't technically a VN. It's a story driven RPGMaker game. It has such an emotionally impactful story though. So for all intents and purposes, To the Moon can be counted as a VN (even if it isn't technically).

Some of the silly memes (including a DBZ reference) had me cracking up.

On the other hand, the topic of autism hit very close to home for me. The game even mentions one Tony Attwood, a real life expert on autism ....... and I was diagnosed by him personally.

So ....... yeah.

The music was pretty good too (it's somewhat similar to ef - a fairy tale of the two).

I'll give it a 9/10

Well worth it if you're after a 6/7 hour game.

Right now I'm continuing Fureraba, and as of now I'm just entering Yuzuyu's route. I knew it's quite late here, because back at early June I'd sort of addicted with Amayui. Let's see what Yuzuyu's route will offer, although I'm more orless just expect another sappy couple though.

Playing Minamijuujisei Renka atm, not really interested in Mitsuki and Sakuya, probably gonna skip them and go ahead to kanori(true route of some sorts). Anyone else who played this knows if If this is a bad idea? I don't really want to play a charage and force myself to play through someone I wasnt interested in

In that case, let's see what I can write about Yuzuyu's route later then. Although in this case, I would like to think Yu-Gi-Oh ARC V homage because we have a woman named Yuzu at ARC V, both of Yuzu and Yuzuyu have pink hair, and more importantly both of them have pendulum in their live (Yuzuyu's personality is easily swing like a pendulum, while Yuzu is live in place where Pendulum summoning is first occurred).

About to finish Shiniyuku Kimi, Yakata ni Mebuku Zouo (warning, novel with extreme content), I haven't read a novel like this with torture and violence (plus gore lol) since Euphoria, I don't read VN like this often but sometimes I want something different but for me is very good, with a simple history but with good content, I won't to explain everything because I would sound like a weird guy lol. 

And I also reading Steins;Gate 0, but for I don't find it good like the first novel, I read 1-2 hours and quit the game, have finished 3 routes, I'll try to complete it because anime is on air and you know... spoilers. 

I was watching some let's plays of particularly shitty EVNs (it seems it's most of what I'm doing lately :nico:) and on three different occasions I've seen people complaining about "bad localization". I guess it's something of an achievement, having your VN so badly written that it looks like a poor translation from Japanese, good job Sakura Spirit, Sakura Swim Club, Yozora Rhapsody. :wahaha:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

13 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I was watching some let's plays of particularly shitty EVNs (it seems it's most of what I'm doing lately :nico:) and on three different occasions I've seen people complaining about "bad localization". I guess it's something of an achievement, having your VN so badly written that it looks like a poor translation from Japanese, good job Sakura Spirit, Sakura Swim Club, Yozora Rhapsody. :wahaha:

Hahaha Yozora Rhapsody. The creator is someone I know personally. Gonna give her that feedback :P

8 minutes ago, EroHataVNI said:

Hahaha Yozora Rhapsody. The creator is someone I know personally. Gonna give her that feedback :P

She's German, right? That at least makes the clunky English in all her games slightly more understandable than in Winged Cloud's stuff, although it can be super-bad at times. :P

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

After 1 month of passively reading Little Busters, I've finally completed it! While I wasn't able to enjoy some routes, I absolutely enjoyed Refrain and Saya's route. Saya's personality kind of reminded me of Tohsaka Rin from FSN so obviously she was going to be No.1 for me. Honestly, I spent so much time on the EX routes (especially Saya's route) that I already kind of forgot certain details surrounding Refrain, but I would say that Refrain is one of the best Key-written routes I've ever read. Refrain and Saya aside, I also liked the routes for Kurugaya and Sasami. Haruka's route was surprisingly good and Kanata was decent as well.

Rin (Refrain): 8.5/10

Saya: 8.5/10

Sasami: 8/10

Kurugaya: 8/10

Haruka: 7.5/10

Kanata: 7.5/10

Mio: 7/10

Kud: 6/10

Komari: 5/10

Overall (not average): 8/10

Edited by wei123

3 hours ago, wei123 said:

After 1 month of passively reading Little Busters, I've finally completed it! While I wasn't able to enjoy some routes, I absolutely enjoyed Refrain and Saya's route. Saya's personality kind of reminded me of Tohsaka Rin from FSN so obviously she was going to be No.1 for me. Honestly, I spent so much time on the EX routes (especially Saya's route) that I already kind of forgot certain details surrounding Refrain, but I would say that Refrain is one of the best Key-written routes I've ever read. Refrain and Saya aside, I also liked the routes for Kurugaya and Sasami. Haruka's route was surprisingly good and Kanata was decent as well.

Refrain (Natsume Rin): 8.5/10

Saya: 8.5/10

Sasami: 8/10

Kurugaya: 8/10

Haruka: 7.5/10

Kanata: 7.5/10

Mio: 7/10

Kud: 6/10

Komari: 5/10

Overall (not average): 8/10

YES! Tokido Saya Best Girl! :D. I really liked how the route tried something different and honestly managed to pull it off. The character too was really excellent though she in several ways needed help XD. 

The scene where 

Spoiler

they go to the hot spring for the second time, only for her to realize she forgot to drain it and so they have to sit in the tub together again, and she yells out "******** I FORGOT TO DRAIN THE POOL" - I had to pause the VN and belly laugh for a few minutes it was too funny :D. That and the one where they go to the arcade and she starts winning and making a bunch of noise :D. LOL and the pyramid.

That was an excellent route :D.

E8CA5FB7425AAEA33BEB60AA62F2B836119E83C4

So, I recently finished reading Dead End Junction, a short doujin VN which I got as a part of some bundle not so long ago and which was laying untouched on my Steam account since then. Well, for a few moments when I just started it felt as if I found a hidden gem, but as the story progresses quite a lot of major problems became apparent, and they negate almost all good that there was in the story originally.

Well, for instance, the setting in this VN is pretty unique. It is set in a fantasy-escque world based on Wild West. Josette is a tomboyish "cowgirl" who lives in a small isolated town in a desert. The story is focused on Josette and her friends traveling across the world and confronting the Dark Knight, an evil god who transfers to her world from another one and is going to bring great misfortunes with him.

Well, on one hand, this VN has a lot of interesting ideas. The setting and the comic book-like presentation make it stand out. It also has a lot of other little things that could make it a great VN: the characters have likeable base personalities, the art style is fitting and reasonably good, and some ideas about war are quite interesting. In the end, on the other hand, this VN is simply not done well enough to make it all actually work. The plot is full of cliches and overall goes nowhere; the pacing is completely off; the setting, in the end, is left largely unexplored; the characters lack any depth, and their development is very unrealistic (basically, shitty fanfic level of unrealistic). The presentation would work much better if the VN had a lot more visual assets, and since it tries to mostly rely on dialogues rather than exposition, most fight scenes basically consist of a single static CG, a few dialogue lines, and... that's it. And the final problem is that this VN lack any real conclusion. The ending is pretty much a sequel bait, and, since this group never released anything new since 2012, I really doubt that the sequel will ever get released.

In the end though I still liked this VN. It works pretty well if you want to relax your brain and consume something dumb and without any real value (which, I guess, is the main reason why some people read moege). I'd recommend trying this VN if you are looking for something like that, but it's pretty much the only reason why I'd recommend it.

5/10

Finished Rina's route in Fureraba. Pretty much the best route in the game, and 2nd best girl overall (Yuzuyu still best girl).

Spoiler

The deal with Rina's parents smacked me in the heart too.

And that was the last route. Fureraba finished! Kyousuke's near infinite enthusiasm (and childlike antics) won me over as one of my most favorite protags so far (top 2 currently).

Now what do I read next......?

28 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Started The Second Reproduction. Huh. I'm not really sure what my opinion about it is so far. It's kind of underwhelming, but still pretty enjoyable, so we'll see.

It is the best thing.

If you find it underwhelming, clearly, you are too blame. Get better taste. Tsk tsk.

On 6/23/2018 at 12:11 AM, Dreamysyu said:

Started The Second Reproduction. Huh. I'm not really sure what my opinion about it is so far. It's kind of underwhelming, but still pretty enjoyable, so we'll see.

Aaaand...  I already want to take my words back. :notlikemiya: I somehow managed to make this post right before I reached a major plot twist which made all of the complaints I previously had about the story not legit anymore. And after that the story gets really interesting, and I'm actually hooked.

You know, that's exactly why I love reading VNs completely blind, without any idea o what they're actually about. Usually gives the best result in terms of enjoyment (in case that the VN in question is actually good of course).

I'll post more detailed comments after I finish at least one route.

27 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Aaaand...  I already want to take my words back. :notlikemiya: I somehow managed to make this post right before I reached a major plot twist which made all of the complaints I previously had about the story not legit anymore. And after that the story gets really interesting, and I'm actually hooked.

You know, that's exactly why I love reading VNs completely blind, without any idea o what they're actually about. Usually gives the best result in terms of enjoyment (in case that the VN in question is actually good of course).

I'll post more detailed comments after I finish at least one route.

Yes, reading visual novel's demands patience. And an open mind helps too.

One VN I read had a really, really slow start. Then suddenly slugged me with a plot twist that left me speechless.

Recently started on Root Double and it's already giving me Zero Escape & Ever17 vibes (though the Ever17 feels are more apparent tbh, which is understable, since Regista also played a part in the development for E17)

On a side note, this is actually the first time I've come across a vn told from a third-person perspective so I may need some time to get used to it.

Edited by wei123