Jump to content
Guest

What are you playing?

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, snowbell55 said:

Gah - you were so right. I just finished it (Mask of Deception) earlier today and man, that ending... That ending!!! Now I *REALLY* want to read Mask of Truth but seeing as I want a physical copy I'll have to wait a bit to get it which is a bit frustrating as I want to read it right now lol... Such a great read, though, and it was really fun. It had me hooked pretty well towards the end, and I really enjoyed it. 

Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception ending spoilers

  Hide contents

That last scene though - the way Kuon just incinerated the shadows - that was actually a bit scary, since she seemed to be mostly fun and friendly the whole time and never really showed a sense of "danger" like Atuy or Cocopo (XD). I really wonder if she was holding back all this time or something. And I really wonder how things will change in Mask of Truth with her gone. 

Poor Nekone though... 

 

That was actually a really good VN, come to think of it. 

Haha, indeed! I had my share of suffering, as I first watched the anime of Mask of Deception, then the game... and, finally, we got Mask of Truth.

Spoiler

Poor little Nekone is in for a world of sorrow....

I hope you don't have to wait for long, or you'll go crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Haha, indeed! I had my share of suffering, as I first watched the anime of Mask of Deception, then the game... and, finally, we got Mask of Truth.

  Reveal hidden contents

Poor little Nekone is in for a world of sorrow....

I hope you don't have to wait for long, or you'll go crazy.

Would I like those games? I've been considering buying the two of them for a while, but I prefer romance over story and I'm not sure how console games deliver on that front.
(I haven't read spoilers, evidently)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jun Inoue said:

Haha, indeed! I had my share of suffering, as I first watched the anime of Mask of Deception, then the game... and, finally, we got Mask of Truth.

  Reveal hidden contents

Poor little Nekone is in for a world of sorrow....

I hope you don't have to wait for long, or you'll go crazy.

Oh dear that must've been painful... I'll just ask one thing - would you say Mask of Truth is better or worse than Mask of Deception?

And fortunately I don't think it should be more than two or so weeks, so that ought to be enough time for it to still be fresh. 

55 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Would I like those games? I've been considering buying the two of them for a while, but I prefer romance over story and I'm not sure how console games deliver on that front.
(I haven't read spoilers, evidently)

Ehhh it seems you'd be better off looking for something else, unless you're willing to give it a chance. This is pretty story-focused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished Chuusotsu. A nice suprise. The dystopian setting is solid, enthralling. And Arara is really a cool, crazy/funny, and cute character :sacchan:

8/10

:Chocola: NOT A TRUE SPOILER : Screenshots :Chocola:

Spoiler

1524953444-20180423115539-1.jpg

1524953444-20180424232820-1.jpg

1524953444-20180425185523-1.jpg

:blink:TRUE SPOILER ALERT:blink:

Spoiler

Likewise, time loop is another one of my "fetishes"...especially when it goes wrong for the protagonist :maple:

 

Edited by Canicheslayer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still reading F/SN, Fate route. I have a couple of questions...

Spoiler

So I got to the part where they explain all the mess around King Arthur history with time flow diagrams and stuff. It's only natural for time altering stories to be paradoxical, but I feel like there's something really strange with this one. At first I thought that Arturia was kinda scammed by the Holy Grail :wahaha: I mean, her wish is the Holy Grail itself, but instead of directly granting her wish, she is sent to fight for it, which she would have to do anyway for any other wish she asked for. That makes me think that such a wish like "I want to change history" is not allowed even in exchange for the Servant Contract. The only way she could change history is by obtaining the Holy Grail, and the only certain way to make sure she obtains the Holy Grail in life is by sending her over and over to the Holy Grail War. Since she eventually has to die for the history to be as we know it, she will eventually obtain the Holy Grail. Ok, if I understand that correctly, that's pretty clever. However, there's something that is nagging me. Saber is not a Heroic Spirit like the rest of Servants, who are beyond time. Her existence when summoned depends on her being alive on that hill. But here's the thing, once she finally obtains the Holy Grail and changes history, she would have to die on the hill and become a Heroic Spirit, but since history would've been changed, Arturia would never have become King, never would have formed a contract and therefore could never become a Heroic Spirit. This all hinges on the fact that she is not currently a Heroic Spirit. If she were, then we could say that since she's beyond time it doesn't matter that history was changed and call it a day. And thinking about it this way, wouldn't it mean that her wish is actually free? I mean, she still has to fight until the past is remodeled, but unlike other Servants, once her wish is granted, she won't have to fight in the Holy Grail War anymore and Arturia will enter the rebirth cycle, thus actually granting her the original wish, which is to save Britain, and a second life. From that perspective, wouldn't be Saber the one scamming the Holy Grail? :leecher:

On a side note, RIP Archer. He was cool.

On a second side note, wtf was that "magical energy sharing" LOL

 

Edited by Thyndd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

 

  Hide contents

So I got to the part where they explain all the mess around King Arthur history with time flow diagrams and stuff. It's only natural for time altering stories to be paradoxical, but I feel like there's something really strange with this one. At first I thought that Arturia was kinda scammed by the Holy Grail :wahaha: I mean, her wish is the Holy Grail itself, but instead of directly granting her wish, she is sent to fight for it, which she would have to do anyway for any other wish she asked for. That makes me think that such a wish like "I want to change history" is not allowed even in exchange for the Servant Contract. The only way she could change history is by obtaining the Holy Grail, and the only certain way to make sure she obtains the Holy Grail in life is by sending her over and over to the Holy Grail War. Since she eventually has to die for the history to be as we know it, she will eventually obtain the Holy Grail. Ok, if I understand that correctly, that's pretty clever. However, there's something that is nagging me. Saber is not a Heroic Spirit like the rest of Servants, who are beyond time. Her existence when summoned depends on her being alive on that hill. But here's the thing, once she finally obtains the Holy Grail and changes history, she would have to die on the hill and become a Heroic Spirit, but since history would've been changed, Arturia would never have become King, never would have formed a contract and therefore could never become a Heroic Spirit. This all hinges on the fact that she is not currently a Heroic Spirit. If she were, then we could say that since she's beyond time it doesn't matter that history was changed and call it a day. And thinking about it this way, wouldn't it mean that her wish is actually free? I mean, she still has to fight until the past is remodeled, but unlike other Servants, once her wish is granted, she won't have to fight in the Holy Grail War anymore and Arturia will enter the rebirth cycle, thus actually granting her the original wish, which is to save Britain, and a second life. From that perspective, wouldn't be Saber the one scamming the Holy Grail? :leecher:

On a side note, RIP Archer. He was cool.

On a second side note, wtf was that "magical energy sharing" LOL

 

 

Once you get into Heaven's Feel, you will understand that it is actually the Holy Grail that does the scamming, but I won't say further since you're not even close to this route yet. 

Reply to your first side note: Aye, RIP

Reply to your second side note: It's Type Moon's sorry of an excuse to insert H-scenes. To this day, I am still perplexed and intrigued by Rin's actions during the first H scene LMAO

 

Edited by wei123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That moment when you're reading a VN, and you go, DING, "that character sounds EXACTLY like another character I heard before!". And a quick check on VNDB confirms it. In this case, ef's Miyako and Grisaia's Amane are the same voice actress.

And I'm thinking "why didn't I figure that out 10 hours ago!?".

Also that moment when a character in a rather underrated VN (Torta in Symphonic Rain) ..... is also voicing two VERY well known characters (Clannad's Nagisa, and Higurashi's Rena).

Heh :sachi:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, wei123 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Once you get into Heaven's Feel, you will understand that it is actually the Holy Grail that does the scamming, but I won't say further since you're not even close to this route yet. 

Reply to your first side note: Aye, RIP

Reply to your second side note: It's Type Moon's sorry of an excuse to insert H-scenes. To this day, I am still perplexed and intrigued by Rin's actions during the first H scene LMAO

 

Spoiler

Oh yeah, I can see that. It's pretty clear that Saber's wish won't be granted. The reason why I don't know, if it's whether it's impossible in the first place (it is, I mean, paradoxes everywhere, but if you are reading time travel stories you kinda have to get over it) and she was rudely scammed or she changes her mind at the end. But in any case, this story is supposed to take place in more or less our world, where Britain exists as we know it and therefore the King Arthur legend "took place". I would be surprised if they changed that fact claiming that it is actually our world that is the "alternative" one :makina: Plus, you know, plot convenience. 

 

11 minutes ago, r0xm2n said:

Also that moment when a character in a rather underrated VN (Torta in Symphonic Rain) ..... is also voicing two VERY well known characters (Clannad's Nagisa, and Higurashi's Rena).

Heh

Oh yeah, I was totally freaked out when I found out that Nagisa and Rena shared seiyuus. I never imagined Nagisa could sound so scary :michiru: Better not make her angry, Tomoya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally done with Rewrite. Officially speaking, I was done with it after completing the Terra ending yesterday. However, I had to complete a lot of quests to get to the optional route, which I finished just a few minutes ago.

Well, what can I say? Rewrite is known to be Key's longest vn and fundamentally different from other Key works, with the second point being my motivation since I never really liked Clannad in general.

The common route had its funny moments, but due to its sheer length, it could get bland at times. The individual character routes were all good; with Lucia, Shizuru and Akane being my favorites.  However, what really stood out for me was the Terra route. It shows you the true nature of Kotarou and what he really was like before the events in the common route. Everything in this route was in stark contrast to the happy go lucky atmosphere in the common route and made all the terrible things that happened in the character routes look like nothing. Battle scenes were not the best but you could still feel the tension. Deaths were aplenty which is really quite surprising, since most Key VNs do not deal with this. Thus, it felt more like a utsuge than a nakige to me.

In a nutshell, it's the best Key vn I've played. I may not have played a lot of Key vns, but I am sure that this will continue to remain as my all-time Key favorite, even if I am to play more Key vns in the future. The fact that it was so different from other Key vns compelled me into playing it, and it did not disappoint. 

Edited by wei123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished Funbag Fantasy + Sideboob story. I'm really not a fan of oversized breasts and lactation but the story and characters were pretty fantastic so I ended up loving it anyways. Hoping we get Gaiden 2.

Playing HoshiMemo too and finished Isuzu route, wish the VN didn't have enforced playing order. I'm not too motivated to go thru the other heroines to get to Secret heroine and Mare. Stalled for a bit and switching my focus to something else

Now for what I'm playing... just started Magical Marriage Lunatics!! mainly because I'm a sucker for stoic loli heroines. Aiming for Luluna route first. So far so good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Would I like those games? I've been considering buying the two of them for a while, but I prefer romance over story and I'm not sure how console games deliver on that front.
(I haven't read spoilers, evidently)

1

If you're looking for the romance aspect, I wouldn't recommend them. They are very plot + character heavy, so the game never "goes" into actual relationships. There's a very obvious crush between the two main characters, with really cute scenes, but it's not a defining aspect of the game nor does it have much "screen time".

@snowbell55Hm... Mask of Truth might be better due to it being the half where the story is truly "realized" and where you learn all the stuff about the characters and world. It's the true climax of the story, so it has that going for it. On the other hand, if you are more into the casual side of the game, then Mask of Deception will be the good old times that you miss.

Edited by Jun Inoue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just finished Tsujidou-san Virgin Road, Yoiko's route, AND IT WAS SO AWESOME!!!!! I absolutely loved it, they play several elements just right in this one, not leaving a bad after taste, and even the protagonist was amazing for once, Yoiko and Ai best girls ever >.< ... I'm now proceeding ahead with Ai's story :3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Thyndd said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Oh yeah, I can see that. It's pretty clear that Saber's wish won't be granted. The reason why I don't know, if it's whether it's impossible in the first place (it is, I mean, paradoxes everywhere, but if you are reading time travel stories you kinda have to get over it) and she was rudely scammed or she changes her mind at the end. But in any case, this story is supposed to take place in more or less our world, where Britain exists as we know it and therefore the King Arthur legend "took place". I would be surprised if they changed that fact claiming that it is actually our world that is the "alternative" one :makina: Plus, you know, plot convenience. 

 

Oh yeah, I was totally freaked out when I found out that Nagisa and Rena shared seiyuus. I never imagined Nagisa could sound so scary :michiru: Better not make her angry, Tomoya.

Let's not forget that Sumika (Muv Luv), Amane (Grisaia) and Natsumi (Sharin no Kuni) all share the same seiyuu, even though their personalities can't be any more different.

 

Edited by wei123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wei123 said:

The common route had its funny moments, but due to its sheer length, it could get bland at times. The individual character routes were all good; with Lucia, Shizuru and Akane being my favorites.  However, what really stood out for me was the Terra route. It shows you the true nature of Kotarou and what he really was like before the events in the common route. Everything in this route was in stark contrast to the happy go lucky atmosphere in the common route and made all the terrible things that happened in the character routes look like nothing. Battle scenes were not the best but you could still feel the tension. Deaths were aplenty which is really quite surprising, since most Key VNs do not deal with this. Thus, it felt more like a utsuge than a nakige to me.

Oh, I agree about Terra. People often criticize it because it isn't very well connected to the rest of the VN, but you know, it's still a very good story by itself and it's a very fitting conclusion for the type of story Rewrite is. I generally like darker stories with good world-building with interesting "political" situations and good character development, and Romeo's routes, especially Terra, really shine in that. I'd love to reread Rewrite one day, but I'd rather wait for the retranslation to be released before that.

12 hours ago, Thyndd said:

Still reading F/SN, Fate route. I have a couple of questions...

  Reveal hidden contents

So I got to the part where they explain all the mess around King Arthur history with time flow diagrams and stuff. It's only natural for time altering stories to be paradoxical, but I feel like there's something really strange with this one. At first I thought that Arturia was kinda scammed by the Holy Grail :wahaha: I mean, her wish is the Holy Grail itself, but instead of directly granting her wish, she is sent to fight for it, which she would have to do anyway for any other wish she asked for. That makes me think that such a wish like "I want to change history" is not allowed even in exchange for the Servant Contract. The only way she could change history is by obtaining the Holy Grail, and the only certain way to make sure she obtains the Holy Grail in life is by sending her over and over to the Holy Grail War. Since she eventually has to die for the history to be as we know it, she will eventually obtain the Holy Grail. Ok, if I understand that correctly, that's pretty clever. However, there's something that is nagging me. Saber is not a Heroic Spirit like the rest of Servants, who are beyond time. Her existence when summoned depends on her being alive on that hill. But here's the thing, once she finally obtains the Holy Grail and changes history, she would have to die on the hill and become a Heroic Spirit, but since history would've been changed, Arturia would never have become King, never would have formed a contract and therefore could never become a Heroic Spirit. This all hinges on the fact that she is not currently a Heroic Spirit. If she were, then we could say that since she's beyond time it doesn't matter that history was changed and call it a day. And thinking about it this way, wouldn't it mean that her wish is actually free? I mean, she still has to fight until the past is remodeled, but unlike other Servants, once her wish is granted, she won't have to fight in the Holy Grail War anymore and Arturia will enter the rebirth cycle, thus actually granting her the original wish, which is to save Britain, and a second life. From that perspective, wouldn't be Saber the one scamming the Holy Grail? :leecher:

On a side note, RIP Archer. He was cool.

On a second side note, wtf was that "magical energy sharing" LOL

 

Spoiler

Well, Fate doesn't really explain these things so I don't think there's much sense in speculations like that, but it's a common knowledge that Nasuverse is actually a multiverse with all the possible scenarios existing at the same time. If we assume that, then it's quite natural to assume that time paradoxes don't really exist there. But, well, there are some other plot points in the other routes that are also worth discussing in that sense, I guess.

 

On 4/26/2018 at 4:10 PM, Thyndd said:

I even came to like Tousaka, and I'm kind of a tsundere hater.

Well, the thing about tsunredes is that this trope became way too overused recently and completely lost the appeal it originally had. Tohsaka is different because her tsundere attitude actually makes sense, and I never felt like she was too cold towards Shirou. I like characters like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wei123 said:

Let's not forget that Sumika (Muv Luv), Amane (Grisaia) and Natsumi (Sharin no Kuni) all share the same seiyuu, even though their personalities can't be any more different.

 

That just goes to show how insanely good these seiyuus are, my god...

2 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Well, the thing about tsunredes is that this trope became way too overused recently and completely lost the appeal it originally had. Tohsaka is different because her tsundere attitude actually makes sense, and I never felt like she was too cold towards Shirou. I like characters like that.

Yeah I agree. I'm a hater towards the general current usage of the tsundere trope, thus you could say that I'm a tsundere hater in general, but there are very remarkable exceptions :sachi:

2 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Well, Fate doesn't really explain these things so I don't think there's much sense in speculations like that, but it's a common knowledge that Nasuverse is actually a multiverse with all the possible scenarios existing at the same time. If we assume that, then it's quite natural to assume that time paradoxes don't really exist there. But, well, there are some other plot points in the other routes that are also worth discussing in that sense, I guess.

I see, but anyway, I didn't even want to focus on the paradoxes themselves. I mean, a paradox is generally so because it violates causality, but here we are dealing with magic and stuff that intrisically violates the laws of nature, so I couldn't care less about that :leecher: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently reading Miles Edgeworth Investigations 2. Fan translation is surprisingly on par with the official releases. Like it even more than the first one, hope the ending will be awesome as usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished with Subahibi and also finished Himahina's route at Fureraba. I'll try to write some in depth though about Subahibi later, so what I can say for now is that I have fun with it even though I already know the spoiler. For Himahima's route (Fureraba), more or less it's just her and the MC being bacouple, so if you can't handle too much saccharine you may ctrl-ing her route.

Edited by littleshogun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Continuing Virgin Road myself (did the first part of Ai's route which was fun), i now started Azusa's route, and to my surprise suddenly it became a discussion about Nato, and Nato Komachi lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I finished Sekien no Inganock -What a Beautiful People and I really liked it. I really loved the setting and the amount of world building that went into the city. You just don't see that kind of effort put into a visual novel so I appreciated it. The final confrontation was a bit meh and so was the ending. Overall, I really liked it. Ati is bae.

This song I felt was fitting for the ending

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I finished Rin's route in Sakura no Uta. It certainly was more interesting, in my opinion, than Toritani's (explaining some of the backstory of the main characters) however, perhaps I didn't like Rin's character very much and that is why, but still I felt like the Rin's character's story was not capturing me (the main plot felt, well, somewhat shallow). Though, frankly, the game has already a pretty high bar set with some truly interesting characters like Naoya (whaaaat? An interesting protagonist can such a thing exist?) and Kei.

It will be interesting to see where the story goes next now that some of the main plot points have been explained. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am reading Hatsukoi 1/1 and Magical Marriage Lunatics.

However I am going to pause both of them. Because they are both just cute Visual Novel. There isn't a character development, both MC are just standard.
No story and even the drama is just boring.

Now I am going to read Rewrite because I want to read Lucia's route :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I finished Cinderella Phenomenon about a week ago... And, you know, I don't really have much to add to what I said in my previous post. It's a good VN, and I never really felt like I was bored reading it. The writing does seem a bit questionable at times (well, it is an amateur-made VN), but if you are interested in an otome VN with good characters and a nice storyline, inspired by many famous fairy tales, definitely give this a try. It's the second one I tried reading, and while the first one was mostly a miss, this VN did increase my interest to the genre. And it's free, you know.

The score stays at 8/10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, -soraa said:

I am reading Hatsukoi 1/1 and Magical Marriage Lunatics.

However I am going to pause both of them. Because they are both just cute Visual Novel. There isn't a character development, both MC are just standard.
No story and even the drama is just boring.

Now I am going to read Rewrite because I want to read Lucia's route :) 

Is Hatsukoi really that boring? I was thinking about picking that up.

Well I hope you enjoy Rewrite, Lucia's route truly is spectacular!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Ranzo said:

Is Hatsukoi really that boring? I was thinking about picking that up.

Well I hope you enjoy Rewrite, Lucia's route truly is spectacular!

I just read Maya's and Mirodi's route so far.

Maya's route is really cute. The drama was.... okay (?)
MC is really boring, typical standard school Protagonist but a little bit hetare sometimes. 

Midori is also cute but her route is boring, if you like her then maybe you will love her route. But the drama was forced...

IMO it's really boring, the Protagonist isn't really something special, there isn't a really good story. 

if you are looking for a good romance/drama VN then don't read it. If you liked Noble Works and love vanilla stuff, then maybe it's something for you.

I love Romance VN with good drama or a interesting story. But Hatsukoi 1/1 is just a romance & SoL VN. 

Furthermore my problem was that the drama wasn't interesting. Even Princess Evangile and Chrono Clock have a better drama and story. 
(I almost cried in Michiru's and Kuro's route in Chrono Clock)

To sum it up:
Bad drama, cute girls, a lot of vanilla stuff, Protagonist is boring and stupid, the story isn't interesting  

 

Thanks, hopefully Lucia's route is great :)

Edited by -soraa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×