What are you playing?

1 hour ago, Dreamysyu said:

Huh? It isn't? Now I'm interested.

Part 1 was what I expected, Part 2 was what I didn't expect. Even though it's lighthearted for the most part, there are some serious moments here and there. Just don't expect it to be a 10/10 kind of VN though (I rated it a 7.1)

Edited by wei123

7 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

And, by the way, what's your opinion on Takeshi's bad end? Or did you decide to skip them in the end?

Oh yeah, I read that. 

Spoiler

I knew that it had to be even more depressing than the good ending (I mean, it's the bad one, right? :makina:) but yeah, that shit was powerful. Really well done. I'll give my thanks to the fact that it's not a VN where the main focus is to grow particularly attached to the characters... otherwise that would've broken me.

16 hours ago, r0xm2n said:

Still playing Symphonic Rain.

Got a random Bad End just by playing blind (though it was more like a non nonsensical game over)...

Oh, yeah, that's a stupid thing about Symphonic Rain: the choice system is very picky about how it wants you to play. I think I got the same crappy bad end the first time I played as well.

I think the worst parts are The worst end, litterally the name of the ending and The endless nightmare ending appropriatly named, I still have 4 endings I have not done yet but I think they are slightly less messed up than those mentioned. So far I have had 1 good ending, probably the only good ending and one not completely horrible ending.

4 hours ago, bakauchuujin said:

Playing through Starless, have gone through 6 of 10 endings now. Believed I was prepared for how messed up things would get (I was wrong).

You sir, are a much stronger man than I. I got like.. two or three endings and then called it quits as I just couldn't take it anymore.

1 minute ago, bakauchuujin said:

Have kind of been interested in seeing how it actually is to play a really dark nukige and plannned to get Maggot Baits aswell once it releases, though atm I am not that certain. Starless made it clear that I am not as good at handeling dark stuff as I believed I would be.

I'm pretty sure I'll be fine for Maggot Baits. I've experienced enough @Dergonu guro shitposting and Euphoria was a walk in the park. I'm quite interested in seeing if Maggot Baits will be any better than Euphoria.

Finally went back and finished Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth. I've enjoyed it so, so much. Gotta say its only sore point is the ending...

Drawn out battles, Woshis going full "there will be no more sadness if everyone's dead" and, by far the worst offender, the huge case of blue balls of Haku dying, coming back and then dying again all the same.

It kinda takes away from the great epic that this story is, having this fatalistic cliche ending.

Then the epilogue launches into non-stop teasing, implies Haku is alive, shows him, openly says through Kuon that Haku is indeed alive, and then we get a last scene which proves that false; Haku is dead and trapped in the Twilight Gardens.  It would have been more memorable with Haku and Kuon retaking their journey, I think...

Really, wtf game.

After taking a fairly long break from reading my VN's, I've finally come back and started making some good progress.

I recently finished Edelweiss and Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. I'm now continuing Gahkthun and should be finishing Nekopara Vol.3 sometime soon, also.

After those two, I still have to continue where I left off on Deardrops and Shinigami no Kiss.

I made the mistake of starting too many VN's at once and I'm still trying to recover from it... :vinty:

53 minutes ago, Forgetful Frank said:

After taking a fairly long break from reading my VN's, I've finally come back and started making some good progress.

I recently finished Edelweiss and Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. I'm now continuing Gahkthun and should be finishing Nekopara Vol.3 sometime soon, also.

After those two, I still have to continue where I left off on Deardrops and Shinigami no Kiss.

I made the mistake of starting too many VN's at once and I'm still trying to recover from it... :vinty:

Just like Forgetful Frank to forget he's reading 6 VNs at once and then goes and starts 3 more. :makina:

Reading Ever17's true route...

Spoiler

HOLY FUCK, I can't believe I got it right :pyaa:

So year is indeed 2034 and Yubiseiharukana is Yubiseiakikana's "mother". 

I didn't realize that Tsugumi and (let's call him) 1st Takeshi were Sara's and 2nd Kid's parents, though it was, to say the least, evident. Tsugumi could also notice the heat in the Generator Room, but that slipped my mind completely, so yeah. Well, it could still have been that Tsugumi had infrared vision just because she was infected with the Cure virus, the same as the Kid, so it doesn't necessarily imply that they are family, but you know, the same people in the same accident... something must've tied them together, so I should have realize that for sure.

But I feel that this is still the shallowest part of the mistery... First of all, what's the relation between 1st and 2nd Takeshi? Why 2nd Takeshi also seems to remember Coco, who was in the 1st incident? What's the relation between 1st and 2nd Kid? Why does 2nd Kid know everything that happened during the 1st incident? Coco told him that he, like her, knows "everything". At first I though that the Coco during the 2nd incident was a hologram with Coco's consciousness that was programmed on LeMU's computers, and then she, like Sora, could access all that knowledge that comes from all the bullcrap pseudoscience about the 4th dimension. But 2nd Kid is definitely human, so that doesn't explain why he would know all that.

But most importantly... why the fuck is the accident in LeMU playing on repeat? I said before that the reason I dismissed this theory is mainly because it just doesn't make much sense. How and why did they refloat LeMU? 

Let's see if I can finish reading it tonight. 

Edited by Thyndd

Ever17 spoilers.

Spoiler
7 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

I didn't realize that Tsugumi and (let's call him) 1st Takeshi were Sara's and 2nd Kid's parents, though I was, to say the least, evident.

I'm going to mention one hint about that you've missed. Look again through your CG gallery. There are two CG's from Takeshi's routes where his hair appears on the screen: the first one is that one scene where Tsugumi injured her leg, and the second is in Takeshi's bad end (and, actually, when in game, it's covered by a dialog window, so you can only see it when you open it from the library). In both CG's his hair is black.

And good job, actually! :sachi: From what I've seen, most people don't notice the thing about 2034.

I am currently reading Sakura no Uta (サクラノ詩) and have gotten to Toritani's route (Pica Pica, Chapter 3). The game so far has been stunning - every character has been enjoyable and none have felt superfluous in reading the novel. I somehow even got to somewhat enjoy the weirdo Thomas as, though I do not usually like this kind of character, he does not get in the way of the overall cast and sometimes even gets used cleverly for a couple of chuckles. The story has that, too, been very good, no events feeling overly unnecessary or like time wasters and overall tying nicely together. Special props to Akashi for being one of the coolest characters I have read in recent times.

Edited by Weiterfechten

Ever17 finished. It took forever since I haven't got much time lately plus it's a pretty heavy paced VN, so it's easy to get fed up if you gorge yourself on it. This should be played little by little.

Spoiler

So I was the protagonist, Blick Winkel, all along, and they had to trick me, the player, into thinking that I was playing the story for the first time in order to avoid the paradox. Damn, that's pretty fucking clever I must say. I said before that I don't really like supernatural explanations for misteries, but this is so cool that I have to make an exception. It's not even supernatural... it's just breaking the 4th wall. And here was I thinking that DDLC was a pioneer but it turns out that Ever17 did it like 15 years ago, only that more subtly and clever :pogchamp:

That's not to say that I have not my share of problems:

-What made Kaburaki, the 1st Kid, lose his memory? To be honest it just seems like an excuse of a plot device to make it all work. His story was never revealed.

-At the beginning of the game, during the prologue, you are switching back and forth between Takeshi and Hokuto. You are watching the events happening as Blick Winkel, the player, call it as you want. At some point you've gotta make a choice, which will get your perspective fused either with Takeshi in 2017 or with Hokuto in 2034. They explain that the reason Hokuto lost his memory is because Blick Winkel "got into him", which kinda makes sense: you as the player have no idea of who Hokuto is. However, unless I am missing something, there's a problem. When you choose to merge with Takeshi, I don't think that affects his memory in any particular way. A blunder or there's something I'm failing to understand?

-All the stuff about Coco being able to know things that happened in other routes and borrow "perspectives" (or call it timelines in Steins;Gate jargon, why not)... is plainly absurd. I honestly think it's there just to make things more confusing. It kinda lessens the value of the great idea that was Blick Winkel and playing with the VN format. And on that note, I remember a topic here in fuwa where we discussed whether VNs would work in your classic novel format. Some maybe, but I think Ever17 is a prime example of one that would definitely NOT. This VN makes the most out of the format. Fuck, it wrings out the format dry.

Btw, why best girl always has to suffer the most? :badnicoman: Poor Tsugumi had it the roughest. If it were not enough with what happened to her during her childhood and at LeMU, then she is forced to leave behind her children at an orphanage, THINKING THEY WOULD BE SAFE. But nope, Leiblich got them and made their lives as miserable as their mother's. I would imagine Tsugumi would have been broken into pieces if she found out... which isn't shown to happen in the story, but one can only guess.

Well, overall it was a great experience. Totally recommended guys. If you are one of those who are still thinking about whether give it a try or not, or one of those who stalled or even dropped this VN (understandably so, since one of its biggest mistakes is its pace), I'd say that it's totally worth it. You will probably be bored to death at the beginning, but seriously, tough it out and keep playing. It will pay big dividends, that much I can promise.

Last but not least I must thank to those of you who I know read my crazy long posts and thus kept me company during my adventure. It feels great to have someone to talk and share your opinions about what you are reading. That's actually the main reason I joined this forums :sachi: So yeah, thank you guys!

Now... about the next VN I'll be reading... it'll probably be Muv-Luv. I think I'll take a break of about a week though to avoid VN overdose :makina:

Edited by Thyndd

37 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

Ever17 finished. It took forever since I haven't got much time lately plus it's a pretty heavy paced VN, so it's easy to get fed up if you gorge yourself on it. This should be played little by little.

Hide contents

So I was the protagonist, Blick Winkel, all along, and they had to trick me, the player, into thinking that I was playing the story for the first time in order to avoid the paradox. Damn, that's pretty fucking clever I must say. I said before that I don't really like supernatural explanations for misteries, but this is so cool that I have to make an exception. It's not even supernatural... it's just breaking the 4th wall. And here was I thinking that DDLC was a pioneer but it turns out that Ever17 did it like 15 years ago, only that more subtly and clever :pogchamp:

-What made Kaburaki, the 1st Kid, lose his memory? To be honest it just seems like an excuse of a plot device to make it all work. His story was never revealed.

-At the beginning of the game, during the prologue, you are switching back and forth between Takeshi and Hokuto. You are watching the events happening as Blick Winkel, the player, call it as you want. At some point you've gotta make a choice, which will get your perspective fused either with Takeshi in 2017 or with Hokuto in 2034. They explain that the reason Hokuto lost his memory is because Blick Winkel "got into him", which kinda makes sense: you as the player have no idea of who Hokuto is. However, unless I am missing something, there's a problem. When you choose to merge with Takeshi, I don't think that affects his memory in any particular way. A blunder or there's something I'm failing to understand?

-All the stuff about Coco being able to know things that happened in other routes and borrow "perspectives" (or call it timelines in Steins;Gate jargon, why not)... is plainly absurd. I honestly think it's there just to make things more confusing. It kinda lessens the value of the great idea that was Blick Winkel and playing with the VN format. And on that note, I remember a topic here in fuwa where we discussed whether VNs would work in your classic novel format. Some maybe, but I think Ever17 is a prime example of one that would definitely NOT. This VN makes the most out of the format. Fuck, it wrings out the format dry.

Btw, why best girl always has to suffer the most? :badnicoman: Poor Tsugumi had it the roughest. If it were not enough with what happened to her during her childhood and at LeMU, then she is forced to leave behind her children at an orphanage, THINKING THEY WOULD BE SAFE. But nope, Leiblich got them and made their lives as miserable as their mother's. I would imagine Tsugumi would have been broken into pieces if she found out... which isn't shown to happen in the story, but one can only guess.

Well, overall it was a great experience. Totally recommended guys. If you are one of those who are still thinking about whether give it a try or not, or one of those who stalled or even dropped this VN (understandably so, since one of its biggest mistakes is its pace), I'd say that it's totally worth it. You will probably be bored to death at the beginning, but seriously, tough it out and keep playing. It will pay big dividends, that much I can promise.

Last but not least I must thank to those of you who I know read my crazy long posts and thus kept me company during my adventure. It feels great to have someone to talk and share your opinions about what you are reading. That's actually the main reason I joined this forums :sachi: So yeah, thank you guys!

Now... about the next VN I'll be reading... it'll probably be Muv-Luv. I think I'll take a break of about a week though to avoid VN overdose :makina:

Hey congratulations on finally finishing it! Yeah I really loved it too when I first played it, it's definitely up there in my top ten.

Oh and since you are going to be playing Muv Luv next be forewarned it might start off being really absurd and stupid but don't let that stop you. It's worth it in the end.

Edited by Ranzo

Ever17 spoilers.

Spoiler
4 hours ago, Thyndd said:

And here was I thinking that DDLC was a pioneer but it turns out that Ever17 did it like 15 years ago, only that more subtly and clever :pogchamp:

To be honest, this idea is nothing new in the VN medium. There's also another popular VN which did something similar, though I won't say which one due to spoilers. Which is exactly the reason why I dislike some things DDLC fans say. Well, I guess, playing too many VN's really turns you into an elitist. :notlikemiya:

4 hours ago, Thyndd said:

Yeah, the whole sci-fi theme could be done better. And it's really a shame, considering that a lot of strange things could easily be explained if you simply included another hour of content. Still, the way this VN handles it plot twists is simply the best between all VN's I've read, and it's definitely worth reading, even considering all its drawbacks. And the best part is how well it uses all usual VN tropes, like the fact that the protagonist's face is never shown, to completely subvert player's expectations.

I also agree that this VN will never work in any other medium. It simply won't. Well, there is a manga adaptation of Tsugumi's route... which spoils Takeshi's real face in one of the first pages. :leecher: So, yeah.

Also, thank you very much for posting about your progress. :sachi: It was definitely very interesting to read, and I personally got quite a lot of enjoyment from reading you posts. And good luck with reading Muv Luv!

Edited by Dreamysyu

I'm currently reading SeaBed and this may honestly be the first VN involving Conjueror that I'm not a fan of. The style of storytelling they use is pretty boring as it's incredibly Slice of Life based. To me, SoL can't be good with me unless comedy is involved or there is more of a focus on plot and the SoL is a break from the action. There is some intriguing stuff about SeaBed and that's the only reason I'm continuing through it at the moment, but at this point, it's not really delivering on anything to me.