What are you playing?

On 11 September 2016 at 5:23 PM, WinterfuryZX said:

Yui Horie is awesome in VActing as Maria Ushiromiya.

Well, is it interesting that Yui Horie was voicing another Maria at 'The Hose of Fata Morgana' there (Granted it was at Drama CD, but still)? I'd found it quite funny there.

Oh, and right now I'll continue my playthrough for Flyable Heart here (Obviously Mayuri route), seeing that I'm in Indonesia right now after 11 days in Malaysia (Sorry for telling my circumstance once again).

PS - If Vorathiel here had some problem with typo at Ever17, maybe this patch could help you here.

so the fumiest sad thing happened to me right now and I feel like I shot myself in the foot so hard

as unbelievable as it seams I am still on servalwi's route and still on chapter 8, I just spent the last 30 or so hours farming and pushing on through the lv 90 dungeons, now i am finally at the last one phena mountains, I just need 1 more drop and to finish the objectives and I am fucking done with them... I did not do emilitas route and I was really wondering who she is, now emilitas artifact dropped and it says it is the symbol of the royal family and now I think I know just about everything I wanted to know without doing her route, fuck me for being a completionist and fuck this game for the fast one it pulled on me

Rereading Steins; Gate after I came across a Vita code. 

Okabe's even more cringeworthy then I remember, lol. Daru is great. Props to Kurisu for being able to stand Okabe's shit. Mayuri and Faris could not be worse lol.

Just got to the second chapter. The art is fucking gorgeous, especially the backgrounds. Didn't play much attention to the music the last time around but holy shit have I missed Takeshi Abo's style. His work in Remember11 and Ever17 and Never7 is top fucking notch. Especially in love with the calmer themes, sounds just like what I loved in his previous work.

2 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

Didn't play much attention to the music the last time around but holy shit have I missed Takeshi Abo's style. His work in Remember11 and Ever17 and Never7 is top fucking notch. Especially in love with the calmer themes, sounds just like what I loved in his previous work.

The S;G soundtrack is fantastic. I never looked up the composer on VNDB, but now I wish I had. If he did those games, I should bump those up on my "to play" list, and they were pretty high up already.

59 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

The S;G soundtrack is fantastic. I never looked up the composer on VNDB, but now I wish I had. If he did those games, I should bump those up on my "to play" list, and they were pretty high up already.

Yep, Takeshi Abo worked on Remember11, Ever17 and Never7's musics.

Samples:

54 minutes ago, WinterfuryZX said:

Rerereading and uploading Uimineko...

saaa batoraaaaaaa, 

dameda! zenzen dameda!

Playing it like this is frigging long, whith this video I already reached 25 hours.

Can I ask you why you're recording it for youtube? This doesn't seem like a good thing to do. I have to question if this even falls astray of our anti-piracy rules.

18 minutes ago, Decay said:

Can I ask you why you're recording it for youtube? This doesn't seem like a good thing to do. I have to question if this even falls astray of our anti-piracy rules.

It's simple: this ver of umineko hasn't been uploaded yet. You can delete the videos I posted here, I don't care.

I'm grateful for people doing YT letsplays. I can always quickly calculate my reading speed to their reading speed and then I know how much longer do I have till next chapter, and can decide to read VN that evening or not. But watching VN on youtube seems like a terribly tedious labor.

AAAAAANYWAYZ.
Since I'm here, I will make a quick update on my progress in Ever17. Is not a good VN. In any aspect at all.
I'm in the middle of my third route, Yous'.

I wrote a post about Tsugumi. Didn't wrote anything on bad end (I liked it), or on Sora route. Why? Because Sora route is non existent. Tsugumi took me around 6-7 hours. Sora - around 1,5-2. Why? Because most of the route is exact same thing. I just skipped almost all. It doesn't help in getting immerse at all.
Her new scenes were nice, I liked Sora, I liked her 'problem'. What I didn't like (in comparisson to Tsugumi scenes) is of how much a noble hero protag was here, and how much Tsugumi was a totall bitch. Punching in the gut out of sudden [three times!], without any words, right after guys made you a sandwich or helped with something you had to do? No explanation, no apologize? Yup, that's what I hate the most in vns. Here it was supposed (I think) to be 'quirky' and to make her look strange and cold. It wasn't. She was just bitchy. At least it wasn't done for comedy purposes. There is nothing worse than a character who is dealing a great physical pain to protag, and then after it was clear he was at right in that situation - 'it was your fault anyway' without any apologize. And it is supposed to make you laugh. Yup. I love them.

So, Sora is done, time for You.
Meh. Start was good, better than Takeshi routes, but it's almost exact same content, almost beat for beat. Of course perspective is changed, there is focus on different characters, but how many times I must read about the same blackout and how they deal with it? Or the same game of tag? That's... tedious. That's boring. This time I can't even ctrl skipping because different perspective = differently written text. Sometimes I even feel like my mind is somwhere else. I know what is going to happen in the scene, so my mind is escaping to something else, while my hand is fastly making progress through enter-clicking, barely recording any text through my eyes. Just enough to see if there is nothing surprising. Of course, when I snap out of it I must backlog whole parts. But that's like epitome of anti immersive storytelling. Completly put's me off. (I know, I know, "you're the one trapped in the infinity loop".)
Same thing with how many choices there are. And how often they are. I sometimes just read windowed (I have never, ever done that before [not counting skipping] in any VN) because constant alt-tabing is too much of a hussle.

And a last, but very important thing.
I know they're keeping the 'good bits' for final route, but if I wouldn't, I would be angered by this VN. Not even annoyed, angered. Why?

Beause there are few situations, moments, not whole scenes, just a little moments, which are great. Creepy, tense, scary even. I love them. Or I would love them If the vn would let me. But it's not. I will give exact example.

Mild spoilers ahead.
Tag game. Everybody was captured. But. Can is kicked. Everybody runs. "Who kicked it? Probalby Tsugumi. She wasn't there, but maybe she was lurking in the shadows and kicked that can whilke we wasn't looking. That's fine."
Then Takeshi is capturing them again. And tells them those creepy words: "you know, than can wasn't kicked. It was at exact same point I left it." Yup. That's creepy. Cold sweat starting to appear down on my back. Sora is asking if it is posssible for can, to came back to the same position after a kick. Takeshi is explaining that it's not possible at all. Creepy.
And then... Same thing happens again. Tsugumi is not there, can is at the designated spot, nobody is looking at the can, but everybody is hearing the sound of kicked can rustling.* Cold sweat is literaly on my back, that's great, that's scary, that's tense, can't wait to read what happens next, who will be scared, how they will react...
Oh. I guess I'm silly. They just run off the room because somebody kicked a can and that's the rules. And now they're again playfully playing a game of tag. Oh. And then scene just ends and nobody mention it ever again. Okay. I would be scared shitless in their possition. But okay. The VN is clearly not wanting me to feel anything at all. 

So yeah, that's all for now, see you after Saras' route, probably tomorrow (if You/Sara is the same as Tsugumi/Sora, so 90% is just skipping).

*[I know that cans don't 'rustle' but couldn't found a better word for it]

On 12/9/2016 at 3:41 PM, Riku said:

Finished Ace Attorney : Spirit of Justice. It was amazing. It's so much better than Dual Destinies.

Finished PW6. Indeed It was great. Though it wasn't as good as PW1 or PW3...but slightly better than PW2 and, ABOVE ALL, much, much more interesting than the rest (Gyakuten Kenji 1 included). I really loved the setting (and the political situation of this troubled country) and the vast majority of the new characters. For example, the Hikikomori kid in case 5 is absolutely fantastic (funny, crazy, touching) :sacchan: It was a great conclusion for the Apollo Trilogy (I suppose it was the last episode).

8,25/10 :kosame:

1 hour ago, Canicheslayer said:

Finished PW6. Indeed It was great. Though it wasn't as good as PW1 or PW3...but slightly better than PW2 and, ABOVE ALL, much, much more interesting than the rest (Gyakuten Kenji 1 included). I really loved the setting (and the political situation of this troubled country) and the vast majority of the new characters. For example, the Hikikomori kid in case 5 is absolutely fantastic (funny, crazy, touching) :sacchan: It was a great conclusion for the Apollo Trilogy (I suppose it was the last episode).

8,25/10 :kosame:

Gosh I cannot wait to play this. I havent played any of them uet but have them on my 3ds ^_^ Heared so much about it..

4 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

I'm grateful for people doing YT letsplays. I can always quickly calculate my reading speed to their reading speed and then I know how much longer do I have till next chapter, and can decide to read VN that evening or not. But watching VN on youtube seems like a terribly tedious labor.

AAAAAANYWAYZ.
Since I'm here, I will make a quick update on my progress in Ever17. Is not a good VN. In any aspect at all.
I'm in the middle of my third route, Yous'.

I wrote a post about Tsugumi. Didn't wrote anything on bad end (I liked it), or on Sora route. Why? Because Sora route is non existent. Tsugumi took me around 6-7 hours. Sora - around 1,5-2. Why? Because most of the route is exact same thing. I just skipped almost all. It doesn't help in getting immerse at all.
Her new scenes were nice, I liked Sora, I liked her 'problem'. What I didn't like (in comparisson to Tsugumi scenes) is of how much a noble hero protag was here, and how much Tsugumi was a totall bitch. Punching in the gut out of sudden [three times!], without any words, right after guys made you a sandwich or helped with something you had to do? No explanation, no apologize? Yup, that's what I hate the most in vns. Here it was supposed (I think) to be 'quirky' and to make her look strange and cold. It wasn't. She was just bitchy. At least it wasn't done for comedy purposes. There is nothing worse than a character who is dealing a great physical pain to protag, and then after it was clear he was at right in that situation - 'it was your fault anyway' without any apologize. And it is supposed to make you laugh. Yup. I love them.

So, Sora is done, time for You.
Meh. Start was good, better than Takeshi routes, but it's almost exact same content, almost beat for beat. Of course perspective is changed, there is focus on different characters, but how many times I must read about the same blackout and how they deal with it? Or the same game of tag? That's... tedious. That's boring. This time I can't even ctrl skipping because different perspective = differently written text. Sometimes I even feel like my mind is somwhere else. I know what is going to happen in the scene, so my mind is escaping to something else, while my hand is fastly making progress through enter-clicking, barely recording any text through my eyes. Just enough to see if there is nothing surprising. Of course, when I snap out of it I must backlog whole parts. But that's like epitome of anti immersive storytelling. Completly put's me off. (I know, I know, "you're the one trapped in the infinity loop".)
Same thing with how many choices there are. And how often they are. I sometimes just read windowed (I have never, ever done that before [not counting skipping] in any VN) because constant alt-tabing is too much of a hussle.

And a last, but very important thing.
I know they're keeping the 'good bits' for final route, but if I wouldn't, I would be angered by this VN. Not even annoyed, angered. Why?

Beause there are few situations, moments, not whole scenes, just a little moments, which are great. Creepy, tense, scary even. I love them. Or I would love them If the vn would let me. But it's not. I will give exact example.

Mild spoilers ahead.
Tag game. Everybody was captured. But. Can is kicked. Everybody runs. "Who kicked it? Probalby Tsugumi. She wasn't there, but maybe she was lurking in the shadows and kicked that can whilke we wasn't looking. That's fine."
Then Takeshi is capturing them again. And tells them those creepy words: "you know, than can wasn't kicked. It was at exact same point I left it." Yup. That's creepy. Cold sweat starting to appear down on my back. Sora is asking if it is posssible for can, to came back to the same position after a kick. Takeshi is explaining that it's not possible at all. Creepy.
And then... Same thing happens again. Tsugumi is not there, can is at the designated spot, nobody is looking at the can, but everybody is hearing the sound of kicked can rustling.* Cold sweat is literaly on my back, that's great, that's scary, that's tense, can't wait to read what happens next, who will be scared, how they will react...
Oh. I guess I'm silly. They just run off the room because somebody kicked a can and that's the rules. And now they're again playfully playing a game of tag. Oh. And then scene just ends and nobody mention it ever again. Okay. I would be scared shitless in their possition. But okay. The VN is clearly not wanting me to feel anything at all. 

So yeah, that's all for now, see you after Saras' route, probably tomorrow (if You/Sara is the same as Tsugumi/Sora, so 90% is just skipping).

*[I know that cans don't 'rustle' but couldn't found a better word for it]

E17 is overrated as a whole, as the first four routes are pretty tedious, but the true route did some really clever stuff. Also, the can scene is probably my favorite in the first four routes and if it had done a better job capitalizing on the tense situation and the feeling that something's wrong, the VN would have been that much better... it's a real shame. But +1 for having a pretty unusual opinion. :illya: I feel like the vast majority of what I hear is praise. E17 isn't a 10/10 VN, it's a 4/10 at its worst and a 10/10 at its best, so it's more of a mixed bag, if anything.

On a side note, does anyone who's read it know if Root Double fixes these problems, or makes them worse? It looks pretty engaging, but I'm not sure about slogging through twice as much bland text as ever 17 had (which was already too much).

I guess I must be some of the rare people who like Ever17 because of its overall atmosphere and character routes (mainly Sora's) and not because of its true ending. Sure, it was certainly 'creative'. But I don't know, if you have to pull almost every fantasy and science fiction trope in existence to explain your story, then it gets a bit hard to believe. At least I would have preferred a more down to earth explanation instead of the whole pseudo sci-fi mumbo jumbo. <_<

3 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

I guess I must be some of the rare people who like Ever17 because of its overall atmosphere and character routes (mainly Sora's) and not because of its true ending. Sure, it was certainly 'creative'. But I don't know, if you have to pull almost every fantasy and science fiction trope in existence to explain your story, then it gets a bit hard to believe. At least I would have preferred a more down to earth explanation instead of the whole pseudo sci-fi mumbo jumbo. <_<

I guess I must be some of the rare people who like Ever17 because of its overall atmosphere and character routes (mainly Sora's) and not because of its true ending.

character routes (mainly Sora's)

We are now friends.

Re: Ever17- I do agree that the first four routes get tedious, but for me Sora's route was utterly incredible though I played it before I played Tsugumi's, and I actually like it even more than the true route. However, although E17 is one of my all-time favorite VNs I do think that the four primary routes could really have used some differences amongst themselves (the calm atmosphere doesn't help, for the most part, either). 

Finished Mayuri's route, and for next route I'll play Sakurako's one. As for playing order, I think you should play Mayuri's first no matter what. I forgot to state this beforehand, but Mayuri's here was one of two student council vice presidents there.

I think it's understandable that many people out there didn't pleased with how Mayuri's route came out. As for Mayuri herself, let's just said that she was had some sort of secret there. About the seiyuu, hers was Suzuki Keiko although she was using her alias here though as Suzumori Chisato. Suzuki Keiko herself was had many roles in Key's VNs recently here, and those roles were Haruka Kanata twins from Little Busters, Nakatsu Shizuru from Rewrite, and Hoshino Yumemi from Planetarian. As for more commentary, it'll be a spoiler there.

Well, we knew that Mayuri's there was appear as some sort of gentle lady there. But apparently it was sort of her fake personality, while her real personality was more blunt there. As for her problem, she had two. One of that is that she hate flower because of her traumatic past, that's also caused she had trauma with very loud voice. Her past is that she was had her bodyguard was shot and her bodyguard was fallen into the flower. Her second one was that apparently she was facing some sort of arranged marriage with student council president (Who I said like to play Higurashi too much), and her family was very strict. Her route here was only solved one problem, while normally most people will expected that Mayuri's route here also resolving the marriage problem. Her solved problem was her trauma, and it's also the source of the drama because her fatally injured bodyguard there was MC's (Shou) father, which caused Mayuri's more uncomfortable to be around Shou because she will remember of her traumatic incident.

I think that's all I could write for now.

OH MY FUCKING GOD!!! The bosses in Seinarukana are punishing as hell! I'm really getting sick and tired of all vn/game hybrids that are not made by alicesoft. In alicesoft games the gameplay compliments the vn aspect, the decisions you make in the game influence the vn story. In all the other vn-game hybrids the gameplay just feels like a road block that has very little to do with the vn itself.