What are you playing?

13 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

Fuck Period, I'm so hyped (it's morning here I wont be reading till late evening) for Ever17 I can't wait! Is there any aprticular order in which I should do the routes?

Takeshi's routes first, then Kid's. I went Tsugumi->Sora->You->Sara-> and then Coco, which is the true route and gets saved for last no matter what.

12 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

Damn, I'm in the second day, but I'm on a way to You's route. Meh. I'll start from the beinning then and go for Tsugumi.
Also - is there any skip option, or I must hold ctrl?

Off the top of my head, you can right click and select skip from a menu that pops up. Give it a shot and tell me if I'm wrong. :sachi:

9 hours ago, akaritan said:

Off the top of my head, you can right click and select skip from a menu that pops up. Give it a shot and tell me if I'm wrong. :sachi:

9 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

hf with ever17 vorathiel ^_^

if there is a non-cntrl skip option, ill be pissed cuz i played through it using that. really felt like a drag

Well... It is. And it's working, there is an option for skipping only already read text or all text. [mind that I'm playing a stolen russian rip with double language feature]
kpSDFik.jpg

4th from below, 'Skip until next plot selection (F3)' :P

Still reading ef. Sadly, since school started, I've been very busy (especially with japanese eating up a lot of my time), but I'm still managing to get at least a little bit in. I finished the first story arc, and I thought it was alright. The protagonist was good, and I ended up liking Miyako more than I initially thought I would. One of my main problems is Kei- I'm not very fond of "comedically violent" heroines. And as a whole the story arc was a bit too melodramatic for my tastes; when heroines are trying to backstab each other for the main character, it really doesn't help me sympathize with them, haha. Luckily, I'm just at the beginning, but I like the part with Kyousuke as the protagonist much more so far.

I feel like I've spent most of this post complaining, but it really isn't that bad so far, I just don't love it. The art and music are very good, though, and I do really like Yuuko. The VN is absurdly CG heavy and has a very cinematic feel that I don't really see anywhere other than in minori VNs. And none of this is necessarily final, I could very well end up adoring it by the end.

Finished off Corona Blossom V1. Trying to decide what to do now...

... on the one hand, in theory...

... my copy of Flowers may, possibly, at some point in the near future, conceivably ship out and arrive. I would like to be able to get started on it ASAP once it arrives.

On the other hand...

... I picked up the Steam release of Steins;Gate. I could start on it, but if I do, I'll probably be working through it for quite some time. If... if, Flowers showed up in the near future, it would most assuredly get put on the backburner until Steins;Gate was done. Who knows when I'd get around to it.

Choices, choices... to El Psy Kongroo, or not?

17 minutes ago, MrBanballow said:

Finished off Corona Blossom V1. Trying to decide what to do now...

... on the one hand, in theory...

... my copy of Flowers may, possibly, at some point in the near future, conceivably ship out and arrive. I would like to be able to get started on it ASAP once it arrives.

On the other hand...

... I picked up the Steam release of Steins;Gate. I could start on it, but if I do, I'll probably be working through it for quite some time. If... if, Flowers showed up in the near future, it would most assuredly get put on the backburner until Steins;Gate was done. Who knows when I'd get around to it.

Choices, choices... to El Psy Kongroo, or not?

Just throwing this out there, but if it's an option, I'd encourage you to get that Steam copy of Steins;Gate refunded and buy the JAST USA release instead. I've seen a lot of gripes with the Steam release in the short time it's out: bugs added back into the game that were fixed, bad line breaks, incorrect TL of phone buttons, and a horrible font choice. The only thing it's got going for it, the higher resolution, is apparently just an upscale of the original graphics (i.e., they didn't have higher-resolution originals to pull from), so it's not actually any better. It's not gonna be terrible, by any means. It's still the same fantastic game and the same great translation (aside from the phone menus, like I mentioned above...). But the JAST USA release is apparently straight-up better.

Oh, and, FWIW, while Flowers is a solid VN if you're up for a nice melodrama, Steins;Gate is an unbelievably good VN, and I'd prioritize it way higher than playing Flowers, even if you've already seen the S;G anime.

30 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Just throwing this out there, but if it's an option, I'd encourage you to get that Steam copy of Steins;Gate refunded and buy the JAST USA release instead. I've seen a lot of gripes with the Steam release in the short time it's out: bugs added back into the game that were fixed, bad line breaks, incorrect TL of phone buttons, and a horrible font choice. The only thing it's got going for it, the higher resolution, is apparently just an upscale of the original graphics (i.e., they didn't have higher-resolution originals to pull from), so it's not actually any better. It's not gonna be terrible, by any means. It's still the same fantastic game and the same great translation (aside from the phone menus, like I mentioned above...). But the JAST USA release is apparently straight-up better.

Oh, and, FWIW, while Flowers is a solid VN if you're up for a nice melodrama, Steins;Gate is an unbelievably good VN, and I'd prioritize it way higher than playing Flowers, even if you've already seen the S;G anime.

Already have the JAST version, which I played through some of last year. The Steam version, I wanted to support a good VN, plus it was a good excuse to play it again.
I did go ahead and start up the Steam version for about 10 minutes, and can say that the bolded is pretty accurate. Yeah, you're gonna spend 20+ hours reading... what's a silly thing like the font matter, right?

13 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

This is why i have 0 confidence for the S;G 0 release, fuck Mages and their fucking japanese pride. 

Ever17, route 1 - Tsugumi.

Whaaat a boring piece of shit.
5.5/10 would be sufficent grade. Nothing ever happened, and in few moments (because not even 'scenes') when something interesting was mentioned, like in a tag game when

Spoiler

Kid was counting in other room, while being present here and now with other characters

it was abruptly cut and never mentioned again. Terrible writting. And that

Spoiler

deus ex machina, solving nothing

ending? Laughable.
Tsugumi herself was an edgy, emo, horrible character. Not worst piece of shit ever, but it was painfull to interact with her. And although her 'problem' was interesting, it wasn't enough to emphasize with her enough to made up for her annoying quirks. But I loved when near the end protag finally

Spoiler

slapped her in the face. So much win.

And protag himself? What a moron... At first I started reading Kid/You route (went as far as repairing reactor during blackout) and he was much much more smarter that Takeshi. All those stupidity around not understanding 

Spoiler

what Sora is

made me cringe. I'm really affraid about Sora route.

But okay, next will be Sora route I still have hope that true route will be as great as everybody is saying it will be. But... I got spoiled. By creators themselves. After the route were the credits.

Spoiler

Cast with voice actors. But Takeshi had a voice actor, but Kid didn't. What does it mean? That probably he has the same voice actor as Takeshi, and they're deeply connected. Maybe even some sort of the same person, but from different time, or somehting like that.

So thanks for that... fuckers.

But despite that last thing and Tsugumis' character I'm not annoyed by this VN. It's boring but overall pleasant read. Well, maybe not 'pleasant' but it's not making me angry, it's not insulting me. Like f.e. Period did.

Next thing - I'm a little dissapointed by 'themes'

Spoiler

all those viruses and diseases... Although it might be terryfying, I'm just not a fan of a genre.

Also - it have worst translation I ever seen. A lot of errors, mistakes in gramma, spelling or even translation errors like in 'turing test' -> 'tooling test'.

And last one minor thing - start of the routes are much stronger in Kid side. Everything is explained deeper, clearer and reading all those more advanced explanations in his routes after Takeshi routes and their shallow explanations is probably not a very good idea. But as you all said, the story and mysteries will probably flow better in Tsugumi->Sora->You->Sara order.

i love your rant.

best to save your breath until the very end though, cuz you're literally only getting a tiny piece of the puzzle with every route

BTW, you'll probably hate Sora's route. And all the other character routes for that matter. Nothing ever happens, a little spark here and there, and a good ol' 'that's it??' ending :P

hopefully your little 'the VN's boring, but it's still pleasant to read' can last you 'til the True Route. I'll agree Ever17 for some reason was pretty tolerable to read despite having such lackluster routes

glhf

2 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

Ever17, route 1 - Tsugumi.

Whaaat a boring piece of shit.
5.5/10 would be sufficent grade. Nothing ever happened, and in few moments (because not even 'scenes') when something interesting was mentioned, like in a tag game when

Hide contents

Kid was counting in other room, while being present here and now with other characters

it was abruptly cut and never mentioned again. Terrible writting. And that

Reveal hidden contents

deus ex machina, solving nothing

ending? Laughable.
Tsugumi herself was an edgy, emo, horrible character. Not worst piece of shit ever, but it was painfull to interact with her. And although her 'problem' was interesting, it wasn't enough to emphasize with her enough to made up for her annoying quirks. But I loved when near the end protag finally

Reveal hidden contents

slapped her in the face. So much win.

And protag himself? What a moron... At first I started reading Kid/You route (went as far as repairing reactor during blackout) and he was much much more smarter that Takeshi. All those stupidity around not understanding 

Reveal hidden contents

what Sora is

made me cringe. I'm really affraid about Sora route.

But okay, next will be Sora route I still have hope that true route will be as great as everybody is saying it will be. But... I got spoiled. By creators themselves. After the route were the credits.

Hide contents

Cast with voice actors. But Takeshi had a voice actor, but Kid didn't. What does it mean? That probably he has the same voice actor as Takeshi, and they're deeply connected. Maybe even some sort of the same person, but from different time, or somehting like that.

So thanks for that... fuckers.

But despite that last thing and Tsugumis' character I'm not annoyed by this VN. It's boring but overall pleasant read. Well, maybe not 'pleasant' but it's not making me angry, it's not insulting me. Like f.e. Period did.

Next thing - I'm a little dissapointed by 'themes'

Reveal hidden contents

all those viruses and diseases... Although it might be terryfying, I'm just not a fan of a genre.

Also - it have worst translation I ever seen. A lot of errors, mistakes in gramma, spelling or even translation errors like in 'turing test' -> 'tooling test'.

And last one minor thing - start of the routes are much stronger in Kid side. Everything is explained deeper, clearer and reading all those more advanced explanations in his routes after Takeshi routes and their shallow explanations is probably not a very good idea. But as you all said, the story and mysteries will probably flow better in Tsugumi->Sora->You->Sara order.

It sounds like we had a pretty similar impression. Tsugumi wasn't remotely likeable until the true route, imo. I thought that the themes were pretty interesting. If you're anything like me, Sora's route will drive you half insane, haha. For what it's worth, I think Kid's are generally better, and the true route will help make up for it, but get ready for a pretty long and sometimes irritating slog until then.

Well I just skipped thorugh 'common route' with Sora scenes (I'm right after the 'makeup' scene) and... I like it. I like new scenes and I like Sora. :P So hopefully next 2,5 hours I have left of her route will not be a drastically downgrade of enjoyableness.
And I hate Tsugumi even more, at last in her route there was no sudden, uncalled gutpunching.

2 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

Well I just skipped thorugh 'common route' with Sora scenes (I'm right after the 'makeup' scene) and... I like it. I like new scenes and I like Sora. :P So hopefully next 2,5 hours I have left of her route will not be a drastically downgrade of enjoyableness.
And I hate Tsugumi even more, at last in her route there was no sudden, uncalled gutpunching.

Glad you like it. :sachi: I'm pretty sure my opinion on her route isn't popular at all, so I'm not that surprised. For what it's worth, I don't remember a sharp downturn in quality, so if you like it now you probably still will by the end.

On 9/11/2016 at 9:27 AM, Vorathiel said:

Also - it have worst translation I ever seen. A lot of errors, mistakes in grammar, spelling or even translation errors like in 'turing test' -> 'tooling test'.

Welcome to pre-2010 official translation! We hope you enjoy your stay! 

Honestly, I think Ever17 might need a retranslation almost as much as Konooza. I don't think anyone really cares about whatever else Hirameki was translating at the time, but Ever17 having those errors is more than a bit of an issue.

At some point, I just started trying to ignore the errors in these really old games, but I can see why you don't like it.

Talking of bad translation, I've been reading some of JAST's old eroge. The art's good, I enjoy the storyline, and the exploration elements are really good, but good lord! The translation is terrible!