What are you playing?

Okay, 999's done

It's a 7/10 game with decent scenario, characters, and escape room gameplay

Then it becomes a 999/10 in the last couple hours True End with the revelations, seriously some of the best mindblow revelations I've read, very fun, still have a bit of difficulty wrapping my head around it all so I'm mass researching, if anyone feels like posting a quick sum sums for me feel free : P

I found some cute images that kinda explain some of the mechanics,

Spoiler

The link b/w Junpei & Akane was so powerful it traversed time itself yada yada yada, Akane's experience from the first game was why she was able to send solutions to Junpei in the second game making him godly at solving dem puzzles (and even godlier with each subsequent playthrough) :
9995.png (800×350)

It's also why he's able to gain knowledge from the bad ends; since in Akane's perspective she's seeing into the future and all the outcomes... Knife? NO ty, Axe? NON ONONONONO. Coffin/Dummy end? I have no idea. Safe? OHHH, now we can get passed Coffin end and into True End like it's 1999 LRLRLRLRLR 14383421!@#

An EXCELLENT way to make a story out of replaying the game
9997.png (800×400)

But the best moment in the game was at the last puzzle where the role was switched and it was Junpei's turn to send Akane the solution, and they even flip the DS screen to symbolize it. Trippy shit man
9999.png (800×360)

Dunno what Virtue's Last Reward will be about, but #HYPE :sachi:

~~

59 minutes ago, Tyrosyn said:

I honestly can't understand the "village filler is boring but after that it gets good"-people.. it's exactly the opposite!

The "village filler is boring but after that it gets good" people officially declare war against the "village filler is good and after that it gets boring" people!!!

^Ye, it was one of the first games I got on my Vita 'cos it was on sale :makina: (Jeebus that means it's been collecting virtual dust for like... 3 months ._.)

On 10/17/2015 at 5:35 PM, Eclipsed said:

(OLD)

Survival theme PS Flash Sale (NA): http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/10/16/flash-sale-now-survival-deals/

Zero Escape 10 dolla!@#

1 hour ago, Eclipsed said:

Dunno what Virtue's Last Reward will be about, but #HYPE :sachi:

VLR is more interactive with the player in both letting you choose what endings you want to get first, and letting you figure out what's going on with the plot yourself (you'll still be mindblown, don't worry). So overall I think it's a better game experience. Whether you'll like the story more or less, I don't know, but you'll surely like seeing the many 999 throwbacks there are.

By the way, will you be playing an american or an european version of the game? Because the first has full English voice acting, while the latter left the Japanese voices untouched.

1 minute ago, Ike said:

VLR is more interactive with the player in both letting you choose what endings you want to get first, and letting you figure out what's going on with the plot yourself (you'll still be mindblown, don't worry). So overall I think it's a better game experience. Whether you'll like the story more or less, I don't know, but you'll surely like seeing the many 999 throwbacks there are.

By the way, will you be playing an american or an european version of the game? Because the first has full English voice acting, while the latter left the Japanese voices untouched.

US version has dual audio (English is stellar IMO from what I have seen of the demo) whereas EU versions only have a JP dub.

1 minute ago, Funyarinpa said:

US version has dual audio (English is stellar IMO from what I have seen of the demo) whereas EU versions only have a JP dub.

Oh, it's dual? I thought they removed the original completely. My bad, then.

I played the 3DS European version, so I don't know how the English dub is.

5 hours ago, Tiagofvarela said:

Played this so long ago I'm not even sure what you're on about.

DS doesn't allow screenshots, or idk how to work it, gg should've emulated, but

Spoiler

It's the moment the last puzzle pops up in the room, and Junpei looks at the puzzle screen, and simultaneously young Akane does as well.

On ‎2016‎年‎2‎月‎2‎日 at 4:03 PM, Kiriririri said:

Almost done with reading Snow...

All the 2003 routes have been shit except for Shigure route that I enjoyed a little more. The newer 2006 routes are lot better and I like them. Interestingly even though the game made me hate the girls in 2003 routes, somehow the feels still hit me in the ending

Ah, Snow... now, that brings back memories.  Piles of OK, with the only good 'route' being the Meiko fandisk.  Still, the best Kanon/Air tribute game I've ever seen.

I just finished all the routes of If My Heart Had Wings! ^_^

Kotori was definitely my favourite with Amane coming second. Such a beautiful story!

I've now started The Fruit of Grisaia as that's one of the other VN's I purchased during Steam's Christmas Sales. I have to say I'm quite interested so far, a little weird though! Ahahaha! ^_^

47 minutes ago, Forgetful Frank said:

I just finished all the routes of If My Heart Had Wings! ^_^

Kotori was definitely my favourite with Amane coming second. Such a beautiful story!

I've now started The Fruit of Grisaia as that's one of the other VN's I purchased during Steam's Christmas Sales. I have to say I'm quite interested so far, a little weird though! Ahahaha! ^_^

You sir, have good taste! My favorite route is Kotori as well. Also love Amane.

Look forward to Grisaia. It is very, very long, but its also very good. The common route is 95% humor, so it can be a little repetative, but its hilarious. Once you start the routes the VN flips on its head and becomes mostly dramatic. (And its goooooood!)

As for me, I´m now starting the final route in Majikoi (agave route). I´ve done the last heroine route, Chris. I liked it, but it wasnt as good as Momoyo, Wanko and Yukie. Looking forward to starting S eventually, but I´m going to do some shorter titles before I start it, as these VNs sure are long.

47 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

You sir, have good taste! My favorite route is Kotori as well. Also love Amane.

Look forward to Grisaia. It is very, very long, but its also very good. The common route is 95% humor, so it can be a little repetative, but its hilarious. Once you start the routes the VN flips on its head and becomes mostly dramatic. (And its goooooood!)

As for me, I´m now starting the final route in Majikoi (agave route). I´ve done the last heroine route, Chris. I liked it, but it wasnt as good as Momoyo, Wanko and Yukie. Looking forward to starting S eventually, but I´m going to do some shorter titles before I start it, as these VNs sure are long.

Ahahaha! Thank you, kind sir! I'm glad we shared the same opinion, it really was a the best story plot when you get with Kotori, it just felt so right to me. ^_^

And I see! I have noticed Grisaia is very funny so far, and once I choose one of the routes, it gets serious huh? I'm looking forward to it!

Virtues Last Reward first impressions:

EYYY VOICE ACTING! BUT THAT MEANS

Spoiler
Spoiler

OG7iRMa.jpg (960×544)

CLOVER SOUNDS ALOT MORE DIFFERENT THAN I THOUGHT

I MEAN WHERE ARE THE CUTE BEEPS

But it's nice to have her back ^_^

...And why the FK is Miss Alice "All-Ice" here?!

3D sprites are kind of sub-par, always feels weird to go from 2D to 3D like that. Even the environment

Uhh that is all I guess

21 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

Hide contents
  Hide contents

OG7iRMa.jpg (960×544)

3D sprites are kind of sub-par, always feels weird to go from 2D to 3D like that. Even the environment

Uhh that is all I guess

Look guys

Look at him go

All innocent and curious, with his naive questions

It's beautiful

1 hour ago, Eclipsed said:

Reveal hidden contents
  Hide contents

OG7iRMa.jpg (960×544)

Uhh that is all I guess

Pretty much not a spoiler, I just comment on Clover's looks and voice acting:

Spoiler

All in all, the voice fits the Clover from Virtue's Last Reward. After all, she's older now and all, right? Much to my disappointment... My dear little Clover...

Personally, I prefer the English Dub over the original Japanese. This is due to K in particular, to be honest.

I also like the 3D sprites more, but I've noticed I'm one of the few...

On 2/2/2016 at 5:49 PM, Suzu Fanatic said:

Nice, I'll be the first to admit it has its flaws - but it still a great ride - I bet my name on it :wafuu:. :bow:Praise be to Suzu, amen.

Ayakashibito, more like HalfofthisVNisflashbacksibito. 

This is ... fun. A lot of fun. A whole lot even. I have reached the drinking party and would consider myself hooked at this point.

Spoiler-free thoughts:

- The script started to pick up the pace between entering the city and reaching the mansion. It wasn't too fast to annoy me, but enough to bother me a little. 

- I am immersed in the plot and the setting, but I won't ever get used to... whatever this is

- Suzu is pretty amazing. In fact, she's almost too fleshed out as far as heroines are concerned. I'm kind of questioning whether or not the others will get enough screentime to make me like them.

- The soundtrack has something great for every situation. I like it. 

Oh folks, looks like it's time for

bold_predictions_logo-gif.100377

Here's how it works: I'll write down something I believe will happen and if I turn out to be right, I get eternal bragging rights. And if I'm wrong, I can just edit this part later.

Spoiler

Touko and her brother are the same person/ two souls in one body / something around those lines.

I predict that, because Touko knew the details of the hallway fight, even though the only two people who should know about it were unconcious. The siblings were also never seen in the same room (so far) and mr. student council president didn't want to talk about his superpower during the introduction.

22 minutes ago, TexasDice said:

Ayakashibito, more like HalfofthisVNisflashbacksibito. 

This is ... fun. A lot of fun. A whole lot even. I have reached the drinking party and would consider myself hooked at this point.

Spoiler-free thoughts:

- The script started to pick up the pace between entering the city and reaching the mansion. It wasn't too fast to annoy me, but enough to bother me a little. 

- I am immersed in the plot and the setting, but I won't ever get used to... whatever this is

- Suzu is pretty amazing. In fact, she's almost too fleshed out as far as heroines are concerned. I'm kind of questioning whether or not the others will get enough screentime to make me like them.

- The soundtrack has something great for every situation. I like it. 

Oh folks, looks like it's time for

bold_predictions_logo-gif.100377

Here's how it works: I'll write down something I believe will happen and if I turn out to be right, I get eternal bragging rights. And if I'm wrong, I can just edit this part later.

Reveal hidden contents

Touko and her brother are the same person/ two souls in one body / something around those lines.

I predict that, because Touko knew the details of the hallway fight, even though the only two people who should know about it were unconcious. The siblings were also never seen in the same room (so far) and mr. student council president didn't want to talk about his superpower during the introduction.

Considered the route order yet? Or are you playing this "in the dark"? (Without knowing who the routes are, etc) One thing I'll say, is don't be afraid of bad ends in this one - some of them are pretty well done (though tragic).

Here's how it works: I'll write down something I believe will happen and if I turn out to be right, I get eternal bragging rights. 

And if I'm wrong, I can just edit this part later.

Captured, no backing out now :P Though, that's one of my favorite parts to a VN like this - guessing how things will unfold.

I look forward to you getting further in, and your thoughts. Think I'm going to dust off my copy and read through it again as well, actually. :sachi:

Previously, on Fred the Barber: I had just finished the Common Route leading up to Tsubaki's Chapter, and then I kind of dropped it for a couple weeks. After a long absence (or perhaps a kidnapping?), my motivation for reading G-Senjou reappeared tonight...

I'm not using a guide, so my choices just happened to lead me to Tsubaki's good end (my default behavior is to be both straightforward and nice, so I guess that's not surprising). Spoilered thoughts on Tsubaki's Good End:

Spoiler

I loved the Tsubaki good end section which was part of Chapter 2, particularly the feeling of resolution and closure. Great tension between evil and naivete, and the scene with Tsubaki and her little brother was everything I wanted and more. Loved it.

And then they just reopened the same dilemma, minutes later. What the actual fuck. I was completely unable to buy into Kyousuke thinking "I'll corrupt you bit by bit, Tsubaki" so soon after his complete revelation and reversal of thought. That kinda ruined the rest of the chapter for me. If somehow that hadn't happened, maybe if only Tsubaki had been redeemed by that scene at the end of Chapter 2, everything would've been a pretty natural flow. But as it was, it just didn't hang together.

Just for completeness, I did then grab a guide briefly to get Tsubaki's Bad End, before moving on to the next heroine (I'll be going back to not using a guide after this...). Brief thoughts on that one:

Spoiler

Didn't care for it much. Another H-scene didn't feel like anything to write home about, and the conclusion didn't feel particularly special (since it was just a small extension on something we'd already seen happen, even in the good end), just slightly depressing.

I actually really like Tsubaki as a character. I think she could've easily ended up boring, given the premise, but she gets put in diverse situations, has diverse reactions to them, and even changes as a person. Much respect to the writer for writing someone who I would find both likeable in real life (because let's face it, in real life, most VN heroine personalities would be intolerable) and still interesting to read about.

Callin' it now, Fred's gonna name Tsubaki best grill, then all the Haru fanboy&grills will be up his grill

What they all fail to realize, though, is

Shiratori is best girl.

~~

15 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

Look guys

Look at him go

All innocent and curious, with his naive questions

It's beautiful

I'll be able to make a sizeable amount of progress this weekend, but for now I'll just be completely irrelevant and comment about how my user title being Zero is totally relevant for 999/VLR even though it's based off of Louise the Zero :sachi:

Speaking of names, I forgot to mention it last time while I was reading 999, but
"What the hell is a funyarinpa"? You mean...you don't know?! How could you not know?! That's...that's practically blasphemous. Say you're sorry! Apologize to the funyarinpa!"

10 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

Callin' it now, Fred's gonna name Tsubaki best grill, then all the Haru fanboy&grills will be up his grill

What they all fail to realize, though, is

Shiratori is best girl.

I disagree with your opinion, so that makes you inherently stupid  :rimu:

*still not reading F/sn*

Spoiler

d6f132cd2859e04d6b12b8eafc9d488b.jpg