What are you playing?

Somebody teach me how to do the combat I'm so overwhelmed by all this terminology and the complicated as hell looking UI :vinty:

Yumina the Ethereal~

Umm it's hard to say from memory and without a starting point. What parts aren't you understanding? Basically, every character uses one defensive skill and one active skill each turn. The defensive skill is passive, and is usually strong to either spirit or logic. The character on top is the one who actually gets targeted by offensive skills unless they're special in some way (aoe attacks for instance, although they're very rare). So when fighting, you want to match the character in your party who is best suited to both attack into and defend against the top character in the enemy party. Then your support characters can cast buffs, debuffs, and sometimes their own offensive attacks. These support skills have specific times when they can be cast, and will pop up asking you if you want to cast them when they're able to be cast. 

Umm it's hard to say from memory and without a starting point. What parts aren't you understanding? Basically, every character uses one defensive skill and one active skill each turn. The defensive skill is passive, and is usually strong to a couple colors, and weak to a couple colors. The character on top is the one who actually gets targeted by offensive skills unless they're special in some way (aoe attacks for instance, although they're very rare). So when fighting, you want to match the character in your party who is best suited to both attack into and defend against the top character in the enemy party. Then your support characters can cast buffs, debuffs, and sometimes their own offensive attacks. These support skills have specific times when they can be cast, and will pop up asking you if you want to cast them when they're able to be cast. 

Yeah, reading the 'tutorial' i was just like wtf but actually playing it is not too confusing after a few rounds :nervous:

There is some nuance to it, though. The most complicated part, which I forgot about until now, is the audience rating for each color. It's basically a shared mana pool between everyone on both sides of the battle, and it gets influenced by the abilities you use. An expensive red ability might spend a lot of the red rating to cast and then give rating to the other colors. I still don't fully understand how some of that stuff works, such as the maximum total rating (which is important to raise, I just don't know how...). Sometimes you get into situations where a lot of the audience rating for one color is drained and you have to switch the top spot out to a less optimal character so you should try to avoid this if possible, but sometimes it's beyond your control. Pay attention to the skills the enemy is casting and try not to get into situations where you would just barely have enough rating to carry out the lead character's actions because often it will get drained before they have a chance to act and they'll have to pass their turn. You can do this to the enemy, however. Doing this is key to some of the boss fights.

Nice. Short ones are great to relax after a long run.

Is there any you can recommend?

Well actually no cause this is my first time reading a short one :P but I'm sure someone else here can recommend you something if you ask

Would anybody here (who has ALREADY FINISHED UMINEKO COMPLETELY) be interested in a Umineko discussion thread? I started replaying Umineko, things have just picked up, and I want somebody to discuss the crimes with.

I'm currently technically playing it, but at my current pace I would need two weeks or more per episode...

Spent a bit of time playing Baldr Sky Dive 1 today.

I'm on what I imagine is Rain's route, not that you are given a choice since the VN is enforced playing order. I don't mind that though, as I rather like Rain. In fact, I like the heroines almost equally at the moment.

So where I am in Baldr... just met up with Chinatsu again and just started chapter 7 if I am to believe what the save data is telling me.

Going to make a run for the end of Rain's route tomorrow, but as I have no idea how far I am... I might not make it. :P

I'll try playing Yumina soon just to see how great it is. I fall in love with gameplay VNs very fast. I hope Yumina's is good.

...Maybe after I finish Forest.

Yumina is literally one of my favorite vns so far.Soon you will know the awesomeness that is Kirara!

I'll try playing Yumina soon just to see how great it is. I fall in love with gameplay VNs very fast. I hope Yumina's is good.

...Maybe after I finish Forest.

The actual dungeon crawling segments are super barebones and boring, but are largely optional. The battles are kind of needlessly complicated but not too bad or anything. I find it very difficult to imagine that someone would fall in love with Yumina's gameplay, though.