What are you playing?

Oh boy, you have no idea what you're getting yourself into.

Shhhh. Let them discover for themselves...

I think he will not have so much problems... You just have to accept that fact and follow the flow of that VN ;) ... If you're not willing for that or just can't handle such easygoing VN's you will be screwed

But I think he can...

From what I've heard, it's only subpar in terms of translation, not in actual content.

Thats mostly right. Another problem is that the all aged version cut a lot of scenes out which are also necessary to understand a lot of this.

In the end it's a great VN but not everybody like that kind of smooth and light hearted VN.

(I think that's enough now to KonoSora here ;) )

From what I've heard, it's only subpar in terms of translation, not in actual content.

Ah, forgive me for my mistake, I read it with the help of a japanese language tool so I never experienced this kind of problem. I found her route to be rather excellent myself. I feel bad for the people who got stuck with Moenovel's horribly butchered product.

As for myself, I have been wrapping up Grisaia No Kajitsu.

It's looking like Amane's flashback sequence 'Angelic Howl' might very well be the best thing about this VN. I'm thoroughly impressed with it so far.

One subpar route hardy counts as a sufficient reason to drop a VN, imo.

Yeah, but then again the common route didn't seem to have anything going for it either, and Ageha's route, despite how bad it was at times, seemed to conclude the entire story rather well.

The art is nice for sure, do the other routes have anything more, though?

Yeah, but then again the common route didn't seem to have anything going for it either, and Ageha's route, despite how bad it was at times, seemed to conclude the entire story rather well.

The art is nice for sure, do the other routes have anything more, though?

Ageha's route provides the most background info while Amane's route is considered the 'true' route (since it has an epilogue). Kotori's route is probably the best one, as I found it quite emotionally gripping, I think this would be the route most people would call their favourite as well. Sadly, the twins' routes were kinda bleh (this was the main reason I 'only' gave it a 8.3/10 on vndb). 

I also heard Flight Diary is actually really excellent so I'm slowly trying to improve my Japanese in hopes of being able to read that one as well some day.

And yes, the art is absolutely gorgeous too :sachi:  (oh Amane, your smile could immobilize armies I'm sure).

PS guys: What should I play after finishing Grisaia No Kajitsu? I think I need something light hearted now  :amane:

Oh, I see. Well, I've heard good things about Kotori's route, and I would be lying if I said I didn't find her cute, so I think I'll give KonoSora another shot. Since I'll be re-reading it anyway, I'll just go with the original version to save my eyes from the terror that is MoeNovel, perhaps that'll improve the experience a lot. :x

Why? It's a VN, not Dark Souls!

It isn't Dark Souls. It's Aliens: Colonial Marines. (We're talking about Muv Luv Extra, right?)

It's brain-annhilatingly boring and stupid, almost impressively so. You need the luck to get through the two required routes (Sumika and Meiya's) without boring yourself to death. To think some people have played all routes... *shudder*

Started to read route A of I/O. 

The most interesting thing about it is that what the player sees and the protagonist sees is seemingly different: It feels like as if there are discrepancies in Hinata's memories which he is not aware of. Maybe it's just my own impression though.

lol, obviously you're been playing to much of these types of games.

I don't think that observation requires much insight. 

Make sure you read I/O in the right order. I don't even know why they give you an option on read order, when reading in the wrong order is so bad. I kind of hate the entire route structure of the VN. What I mean is the whole with 1.0 routes where you have to replay routes to see extra scenes, and doing so is required to unlock Route E's ending. The problem being that nobody is going to reread those routes in their entirety, and by skipping the rest of the text, you get all of the new tidbits totally out of context. It makes for a very poor reading experience. 

I don't think that observation requires much insight. 

Make sure you read I/O in the right order. I don't even know why they give you an option on read order, when reading in the wrong order is so bad. I kind of hate the entire route structure of the VN. What I mean is the whole with 1.0 routes where you have to replay routes to see extra scenes, and doing so is required to unlock Route E's ending. The problem being that nobody is going to reread those routes in their entirety, and by skipping the rest of the text, you get all of the new tidbits totally out of context. It makes for a very poor reading experience. 

I felt the same way about it. Not just with I/O but any vn that has unlocked scenes. I'm not going to read the entire route again to get to those new scenes and by skipping I don't remember the context of the scenes and how they are connected. In I/O most of these scenes are simply not important, as long as you go by the recommended route order (use a walkthrough) there is no real point to get 100% of everything.

Most of the extra scenes are additional dialogue lines that make it even longer or some sub-plot that you don't miss if it's not there. I think they did that so that those who aren't interested in getting 100% won't be forced to miss the important story related stuff. On the other hand it also feels like a wasted potential, they could have used this technique for some really clever story tricks.

This speaking as someone who got 100% of everything in I/O.

The only thing I can guess on why they did things that way is that they wanted to hide Route A and B's 1.0 endings (and the few tidbits of additional info) to make the reveals in C and D more dramatic. But they could have definitely written around that issue without having to resort to the forced-replaying system they ended up at.

This is actually not a bad idea. I just think that they didn't use this idea as well as they could have. But even with (very) small gripe I/O is still one of the best visual novels out there. It's pretty much a kamige as far as sci-fi vns go. Although I expect many will hate it by the time they reach the end, lol.