What are you playing?

You guys are all making me remember Umineko ^^

The sad part is that VN is like a joke that went over the head to me: Everyone incredibly enjoys it while I stand and think, dumbfounded, trying to figure what the hell just happened.

It indeed was a good VN, it's just that it was too deep for me to understand.

(Umineko spoilers)

Thinking everything's only weird because of different interpretation (what Virgilia said in episode 2) started to feel like a cop-out after a point: It's hard to throw away half the VN's storytelling as "Different interpretation", and doing that felt like the easy way out so I tried to solve all magical scenes by logic. Obviously, nothing came out of it.

You guys are all making me remember Umineko ^^

The sad part is that VN is like a joke that went over the head to me: Everyone incredibly enjoys it while I stand and think, dumbfounded, trying to figure what the hell just happened.

It indeed was a good VN, it's just that it was too deep for me to understand.

(Umineko spoilers)

Thinking everything's only weird because of different interpretation (what Virgilia said in episode 2) started to feel like a cop-out after a point: It's hard to throw away half the VN's storytelling as "Different interpretation", and doing that felt like the easy way out so I tried to solve all magical scenes by logic. Obviously, nothing came out of it.

Well, one of the VN's main points by the end are that the main mystery/the "truth" behind it doesn't really matter. In the end, it's about the journey, the feelings and the intentions. Trying to look for concrete facts behind everything, while possibly fun, wasn't the right way to interpret the story, at least not in my opinion. That's what I got out of Episode 8 anyway, that nearly parodied all the readers at some points.

I was also very iffy about throwing away most of the VN, which is why I arrived on this conclusion anyway. Might just be a huge mistake on my part, but the fact you can take the story and interpret it however you want instead of getting a single definitive solution forced down your throat is what makes the story so good.

That's why Umineko has such a good soundtrack, you can't leave it and thinks that it was bad haha.

And maybe it wasn't "too deep" for you, Umineko requires a specific viewpoint to be fully appreciated, not only an active mind (because they're obviously more to Umineko than only the notion of truth). Some people have a really hard time feeling concerned for the characters or the story development and it affects a lot your experience, it's not the fault of the VN nor of the fault of the reader.

Well, one of the VN's main points by the end are that the main mystery/the "truth" behind it doesn't really matter. In the end, it's about the journey, the feelings and the intentions. Trying to look for concrete facts behind everything, while possibly fun, wasn't the right way to interpret the story, at least not in my opinion. That's what I got out of Episode 8 anyway, that nearly parodied all the readers at some points.

I was also very iffy about throwing away most of the VN, which is why I arrived on this conclusion anyway. Might just be a huge mistake on my part, but the fact you can take the story and interpret it however you want instead of getting a single definitive solution forced down your throat is what makes the story so good.

I did understand the "truth of Umineko" doesn't matter (the final choice "Trick/Magic" pretty much proves that), and nonetheless I got a lot of enjoyment from simply reading it and taking everything at face value. (Some scenes, like the  grand court of Natsuhi at the end of episode 5 or "

USHIROMIYA KYRIE CANNOT SAVE BATTLER" moment in... episode 6, I guess)Taking everything as real makes most of the first episodes rather enjoyable, but especially in episode 7 I felt completely lost since I couldn't really comprehend what was happening. Chiru takes surrealism to a point where it is too surreal to fit even in Umineko, or at least the first half, and that takes some enjoyment out of it in my opinion.

I did understand the "truth of Umineko" doesn't matter (the final choice "Trick/Magic" pretty much proves that), and nonetheless I got a lot of enjoyment from simply reading it and taking everything at face value. (Some scenes, like the  grand court of Natsuhi at the end of episode 5 or "

USHIROMIYA KYRIE CANNOT SAVE BATTLER" moment in... episode 6, I guess)Taking everything as real makes most of the first episodes rather enjoyable, but especially in episode 7 I felt completely lost since I couldn't really comprehend what was happening. Chiru takes surrealism to a point where it is too surreal to fit even in Umineko, or at least the first half, and that takes some enjoyment out of it in my opinion.

I guess it all depends on what you go in expecting. If you go in expecting a murder mystery with maybe some supernatural on top a la Higurashi, you will be severely disappointed unless you can accept that Umineko is nothing like that. I can see how Chiru might look way out there, but the fact remains that everything is there for a reason, no matter how crazy it might look. I did say that it is more about the journey, but I might've chosen my words wrong; I didn't mean to take stuff at face value, because that's not what you do, especially not with Chiru. Pretty much every magic scene is there as a metaphor for something else. It's basically just making something small into somehting much bigger, embezzling it. You have a crazy magical duel of death only to explain to you that Shannon and Kanon are in fact the same person, etc. The VN says all this, but it just doesn't rub it in your face.

But yeah, if you're looking for a mystery with clear answers - which probably most people would coming off of Higurashi - something as symbolic as Umineko was probably a harsh disappointment. I personally liked how vague Umineko was, but a lot of people hate it for that exact reason. They hate it so much in fact, that the manga adaptation of Episode 8 was made so it answers absolutely everything behind the mystery that there is.

I guess it all depends on what you go in expecting. If you go in expecting a murder mystery with maybe some supernatural on top a la Higurashi, you will be severely disappointed unless you can accept that Umineko is nothing like that. I can see how Chiru might look way out there, but the fact remains that everything is there for a reason, no matter how crazy it might look. I did say that it is more about the journey, but I might've chosen my words wrong; I didn't mean to take stuff at face value, because that's not what you do, especially not with Chiru. Pretty much every magic scene is there as a metaphor for something else. It's basically just making something small into somehting much bigger, embezzling it. You have a crazy magical duel of death only to explain to you that Shannon and Kanon are in fact the same person, etc. The VN says all this, but it just doesn't rub it in your face.

But yeah, if you're looking for a mystery with clear answers - which probably most people would coming off of Higurashi - something as symbolic as Umineko was probably a harsh disappointment. I personally liked how vague Umineko was, but a lot of people hate it for that exact reason. They hate it so much in fact, that the manga adaptation of Episode 8 was made so it answers absolutely everything behind the mystery that there is.

I kind of liked that vagueness. By "face value", I meant I gave up searching for the invariably existent message or metaphor. It's nice to know there's an "answer sheet" if I can call it that, but I still don't want to read it: that vagueness, that air of the things unknown both in broad daylight and hidden in deep shadow.

The lack of answers left me dizzied and confused by the end, but I would not have it any other way.

You can disable them.

I noticed that.  I don't have a problem with h-scenes if they're related to the plot, or at least meaningful, but that was just ridiculous.  It was a "reward", and they talked about previously established plot details while they were boning.  It just seemed like the people that wrote it weren't sure if they wanted it to be serious or a joke, and half-assed it as a result.  I also don't really like Haru's character that much, so that also contributed to my dislike of the h-scene.

Do they at least get more meaningful in the other routes?  I rather like humorous or romantic h-scenes, so hopefully the rest won't be as dumb as I thought the first was.

I'm reading satsukoi, new untranslated title. It's interesting thus far.

It contains some violence, but it's not action focused. The story really captures you quite early on, and there seems to be some mysteries to be uncovered at the same time you really don't know what is going to happen.

My expectations are quite high for this title, even if it's said to be short.

I gave up waiting to be able to buy a Vita and import the Danganronpa games, so I downloaded DR1 (PSP translated version)and I'm playing that nowadays using a gamepad. I know everything about the game, but it still is quite enjoyable. I am at Chapter 3's pretrial.

(Danganronpa Chapter 3 SPOILERS)

All that running around stuff is more complicated than I remembered... It also has the best buildup of all the murders. It lasts pretty much a whole day, unlike the previous ones (or the latter ones for that matter). Since it appears I've forgotten some stuff, it might be an interesting trial, we'll see...

Not really missing Muv Luv Alternative, actually...

I think the first comyu h-scene is there to help establish Akihito's character and to maybe shine more light onto the falsity of his "feminism". Well, obviously the scene itself isn't necessary, but I don't think the fact that it happened at all is pointless to the story. Akihito is kind of twisted and mentally a mess and that's important in some ways.

I think the first comyu h-scene is there to help establish Akihito's character and to maybe shine more light onto the falsity of his "feminism". Well, obviously the scene itself isn't necessary, but I don't think the fact that it happened at all is pointless to the story. Akihito is kind of twisted and mentally a mess and that's important in some ways.

Ah.  Well, from my perspective, and from what I know plot-wise, it appeared to be pointless fanservice.  I'm glad that it's not, though.

By the way, I'm already having suspicions about Akihito. 

He's mentioned the scene where his mother is killed several times now, but he's never said where he was when it happened, which led me to believe that he was the kid that killed her. The repeated flashbacks don't exactly disprove that theory.

I'm enjoying Tsukihime so far, though I keep comparing it to F/SN and it's not a fair comparison at all. 

The H scene I saw was fucking weird. Type-Moon is no good at making h-scenes, in my opinion.

and since it's only a dream, it felt even more unnecessary and thrown in than it already was.

I'm enjoying Tsukihime so far, though I keep comparing it to F/SN and it's not a fair comparison at all. 

The H scene I saw was fucking weird. Type-Moon is no good at making h-scenes, in my opinion.

and since it's only a dream, it felt even more unnecessary and thrown in than it already was.

Doesn't the spoiler pretty much describe every Nasu h-scene?  I mean, the guy is pretty terrible at writing them in general.

Squash and octopus juice...Benio is really weird all of a sudden.

Doesn't the spoiler pretty much describe every Nasu h-scene?  I mean, the guy is pretty terrible at writing them in general.

Squash and octopus juice...Benio is really weird all of a sudden.

Yeah, they really all are like that, I just thought that these particular circumstances were even more egregious offenders of being thoughtlessly thrown in than they usually are.

I guess it's better to have them be dream sequences than have them damaging the actual plot though, like the super-power semen from F/SN. That was incredibly terrible.

Yeah, they really all are like that, I just thought that these particular circumstances were even more egregious offenders of being thoughtlessly thrown in than they usually are.

I guess it's better to have them be dream sequences than have them damaging the actual plot though, like the super-power semen from F/SN. That was incredibly terrible.

I had no problem with the way they transferred magical energy in Fate/Stay Night. It's like they put it there just for the purpose of having sex though. Anyway, it was 'inevitable', seeing that Shirou was incompetent as a Master.

You ignored my reply.

;~;

I had no problem with the way they transferred magical energy in Fate/Stay Night. It's like they put it there just for the purpose of having sex though. Anyway, it was 'inevitable', seeing that Shirou was incompetent as a Master.

You ignored my reply.

;~;

Ah, I totally didn't see it at all, sorry!

I am playing it with music, but I just used the fuwanovel link to download the game, that's all.

Ah, I totally didn't see it at all, sorry!

I am playing it with music, but I just used the fuwanovel link to download the game, that's all.

Thanks for the reply!

I've always wanted to play Tsukihime with music. I felt that it was incomplete without it.

I'll download it some other time. Thanks again!

And yes, the sex scenes in Tsukihime are awkward. Like wtf Hisui and Kohaku's scenes where they're like dolls.

Though I liked how cute Kohaku was in her scene. Too bad she's kind of broken.

Still my favorite though.

Finished Danganronpa's third trial.

I'd watched the anime and gameplay videos etc. before, so I really know what's happening. Keeping that in mind...

It was remarkably intense, and for some reason, the whole case reminded me of Umineko. Definitely the best case so far.

I'm playing on the hardest settings, and I got 2 game over screens (even though I knew most details beforehand).

The murderer's motive was rather half assed, but otherwise it is an intense case and one in which the identity of the killer isn't handed in a silver plate: CH1 had "final message", CH2 had "slip of mouth" (even though Kyoko tricked the murderer to do so...) but this one was a very good case I think. Now I remember how absurdly pathetic CH4's mystery was...