What are you playing?

I don't have any experience with VNDB's staff at all, so that's why I asked.  I know some sites' staff pretty much never see suggestions unless they're sent directly to them, but I was a little hesitant to send them an email, since they already have a discussion page.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Anyway, so I'm not derailing too much, who is your favorite character and/or heroine from G-senjou?  I'm kinda curious  :3

Just passed the last choice before I can start working towards Tsubaki's bad end.  I'm going to feel like a terrible person when I finish it, I just know it.

In some ways Tsubaki's bad end may make you want to hate what "you" have done to her.

In some ways Tsubaki's bad end may make you want to hate what "you" have done to her.

Kinda figured.  I mean, obviously Kyousuke feels bad about what he's doing, but he's still doing it, so that doesn't really mean that much.  Sure, he doesn't really have a choice if he wants to live, but again...doesn't make things any better.

Kinda figured.  I mean, obviously Kyousuke feels bad about what he's doing, but he's still doing it, so that doesn't really mean that much.  Sure, he doesn't really have a choice if he wants to live, but again...doesn't make things any better.

But even so I like Kyousuke's character a lot, I just seem to like broken and contradicting characters, makes them more realistic I think.

I finally wrapped up Grisaia yesterday morning by finishing Michiru's route. The shortest route ended up taking me the longest to finally getting around to completing, but I liked it overall. If I had to rank the routes I'd go: Amane > Sachi > Michiru > Yumiko > Makina. The middle three are pretty close in how much I enjoyed them really. I'm inking out a partly lengthy set of thoughts on the entire game in my free time between classes. Might end up posting it in Down's topic if I'm satisfied that it's coherent enough. Cause if it's one thing that Fuwanovel needs, it's more discussion on GnK. :rolleyes:

I also decided to go ahead and finish the common route + Chisato on Koichoco before I move onto my next full game. It's been like two weeks since I booted it up, so I'll probably just reread the thing from the beginning.

I finally wrapped up Grisaia yesterday morning by finishing Michiru's route. The shortest route ended up taking me the longest to finally getting around to completing, but I liked it overall. If I had to rank the routes I'd go: Amane > Sachi > Michiru > Yumiko > Makina. The middle three are pretty close in how much I enjoyed them really. I'm inking out a partly lengthy set of thoughts on the entire game in my free time between classes. Might end up posting it in Down's topic if I'm satisfied that it's coherent enough. Cause if it's one thing that Fuwanovel needs, it's more discussion on GnK. :rolleyes:

I also decided to go ahead and finish the common route + Chisato on Koichoco before I move onto my next full game. It's been like two weeks since I booted it up, so I'll probably just reread the thing from the beginning.

Congratulations on finishing Grisaia. The only route whose rank I don't agree with you on a personal level would be Makina's, but I have ranted on Down's thread about it already.

That's pretty much what I thought, except I switched Makina's and Michiru's routes.  Really didn't like Chiruchiru's route.  I know I've said this over and over and over again, but

what turned me off about it was the sudden departure from exaggerated but semi-realistic possibilities to pseudoscience. The theories of body and cellular memory have almost no proof supporting their existence, and most of what proof there is is weak at best. Like someone said before, Michiru's route would fit better in a Key novel, not in a VN that never breaks the rules of science and realism (aside from bending realism to make things more interesting).

How'd you like Sachi's bad end?  I seriously started laughing because of how ridiculously bad it was.

That's pretty much what I thought, except I switched Makina's and Michiru's routes.  Really didn't like Chiruchiru's route.  I know I've said this over and over and over again, but

what turned me off about it was the sudden departure from exaggerated but semi-realistic possibilities to pseudoscience. The theories of body and cellular memory have almost no proof supporting their existence, and most of what proof there is is weak at best. Like someone said before, Michiru's route would fit better in a Key novel, not in a VN that never breaks the rules of science and realism (aside from bending realism to make things more interesting).

How'd you like Sachi's bad end?  I seriously started laughing because of how ridiculously bad it was.

Michiru's route didn't really faze me. I knew beforehand that a lot of people had issues with the nature of her split personality, so I sort of expected it to be as silly as it ended up being revealed. Also, since she was my last route I was already numb due to the numerous other eye-rolling moments in the novel. Given how impossibly extraordinary the entire cast is and the number of coincidences that take place, a hefty dose of pseudo-science didn't really bother me. The moment that personally took me entirely out of the VN was the whole devil in Yuuji's arm thing and his bloodlust being kept under wrap by suggestion. It's initially suggested to be a delusion of his, but given how certain events in Makina's route plays out it ends up being ambiguous.

I actually ended up liking Michiru's route. Like Yumiko's route, the bulk of the route leaves something to be desired. The endings to both are their saving grace.

As for Sachi’s bad end:

Discounting Yumiko’s  “bad ending”  since it’s not really one, I’d say Sachi’s bad end is the least quality bad ending in the game. Michiru’s bad end is poorly/arbitrary connected to her choices, but it’s still decently creepy despite how bare bones it is. Sachi’s is just an abrupt accident followed quickly by the title screen after a few lines. It was like they put in that ending only because they had to have one.

Michiru's route didn't really faze me. I knew beforehand that a lot of people had issues with the nature of her split personality, so I sort of expected it to be as silly as it ended up being revealed. Also, since she was my last route I was already numb due to the numerous other eye-rolling moments in the novel. Given how impossibly extraordinary the entire cast is and the number of coincidences that take place, a hefty dose of pseudo-science didn't really bother me. The moment that personally took me entirely out of the VN was the whole devil in Yuuji's arm thing and his bloodlust being kept under wrap by suggestion. It's initially suggested to be a delusion of his, but given how certain events in Makina's route plays out it ends up being ambiguous.

I actually ended up liking Michiru's route. Like Yumiko's route, the bulk of the route leaves something to be desired. The endings to both are their saving grace.

As for Sachi’s bad end:

Discounting Yumiko’s  “bad ending”  since it’s not really one, I’d say Sachi’s bad end is the least quality bad ending in the game. Michiru’s bad end is poorly/arbitrary connected to her choices, but it’s still decently creepy despite how bare bones it is. Sachi’s is just an abrupt accident followed quickly by the title screen after a few lines. It was like they put in that ending only because they had to have one.

Ahhh.  See, I went into it hoping that everyone was exaggerating a bit about how meh it was.  My hopes were crushed about half-way through her route.  It was also only my third route from Grisaia, and I'd just finished Amane's and Sachi's, so my expectations were higher than they should have been.

Ehhhh...I didn't like a lot of things about her route, one of them being the post-drama boning that takes place in the shower.  I mean, Yuuji lies to her, drugs her, and puts her in a position where she could possibly die (regardless of the safety measures he had in place), and she's all happy afterwards and jumps his bones?  Even if it was for her own good, she should've been slightly mad at least, right?

Can't disagree with you about that.  Her bad end was, in my opinion, the worst ending in the entire VN, hands down.  Random bad stuff happening ≠ interesting bad end.  Maybe the writers just got lazy or something, I don't know.  I expected her bad end to involve actually killing her mother before killing herself, but nope.

...I don't expect content out of my bad endings, aren't bad endings supposed to be punishment for making the wrong choices?

In which case, Sachi's the best one out of the lot. 

At least Amane's emotionally impacts the reader, makes sense in the situation, and isn't utterly ridiculous.  Sure, they're supposed to basically say, "You dun goofed, son," but they should at least have some effect on the reader beside making them think, "Okay, I need to pick the other choice."

...I don't expect content out of my bad endings, aren't bad endings supposed to be punishment for making the wrong choices?

In which case, Sachi's the best one out of the lot.

Bad endings should add value to a visual novel. They can be exciting, excruciatingly sad, funny, horribly twisted -- or all of the above. Bad endings can be cathartic. Amane's for example:

Tore me up, but at the same time I was grinning like an idiot at how badass and good of a death it was.

Other examples of well executed bad endings would be almost the entirety of F/SN.

Ehhhh...I didn't like a lot of things about her route, one of them being the post-drama boning that takes place in the shower. I mean, Yuuji lies to her, drugs her, and puts her in a position where she could possibly die (regardless of the safety measures he had in place), and she's all happy afterwards and jumps his bones? Even if it was for her own good, she should've been slightly mad at least, right?

I don't entirely disagree with that. I found Sachi's weird as well. They just blew up their school and they immediately bone in front of its ruins.

:lol: It was so absurd that it reached all the way around to being almost awesome.

Bad endings should add value to a visual novel. They can be exciting, excruciatingly sad, funny, horribly twisted --  or all of the above. Bad endings can be cathartic. Amane's for example:

Tore me up, but at the same time I was grinning like an idiot at how badass and good of a death it was.

Other examples of well executed bad endings would be almost the entirety of F/SN.

I believe bad ends should make you mad and try again. But I see that that is simply my personal opinion. 

Visual Novels are a different medium, I suppose, but I still think that a bad ending should be punishment for failing, not something you actively procure and read.

I believe bad ends should make you mad and try again. But I see that that is simply my personal opinion. 

Visual Novels are a different medium, I suppose, but I still think that a bad ending should be punishment for failing, not something you actively procure and read.

Why not both? You can have powerful bad endings that make you regret your choice.

The thing about bad ends working as a punishment is that you rarely see VNs (at least out of all the translated ones I've played) that sufficiently strikes a balance between an obvious bad end flag and one that's entirely obscure. I don't know if I've ever accidentally wandered into a bad end where I felt like it was entirely due to my poor choices.

Sorry to start talking about something else, but I'm steadily progressing towards Tsubaki's bad end, and man, the scenes with Gonzou in them are done almost perfectly.  The combination of his physically imposing sprite, the sinister background music, and his soft yet disturbing voice really make the atmosphere tense.

Well, I agree with you there, but it was a bit entertaining hunting out the endings and 100 percent-ing the game. For some reason I was obsessed with getting all the bad ends in Sekien No Inganock even though it's just one line of text and then death.

Just finished Tsubaki's bad end...holy hell, that was dark.  Ugh...definitely wasn't expecting something so long and twisted.  Oh well, now I can get her good end.

This is what I call a good bad end. The G-senjou type of bad end (especially Tsubaki's) is what I think would have been fitting for, say, Sachi's bad end in Grisaia that we were discussing earlier in the thread. A meaningful choice leading to a slow descent to hell.

This is what I call a good bad end. The G-senjou type of bad end (especially Tsubaki's) is what I think would have been fitting for, say, Sachi's bad end in Grisaia that we were discussing earlier in the thread. A meaningful choice leading to a slow descent to hell.

Can't deny that something like that would have been good in Sachi's route, but...man, that was really disturbing. 

It seemed like parts of Maou started coming through Kyousuke's personality. I remember he felt slightly bad about using Tsubaki at first, then, at the end, he used her as he pleased, and seemed to lack any semblance of a conscience. The worse Tsubaki got, the worse Kyousuke seemed to get.

I'm not saying that is was a crappy bad ending, just...ugh.  Made me realize how spoiled I've been in regards to how messed up they can be.  The only ones from Grisaia that really left a mark on me were Makina's and Amane's, and I still think that Tsubaki's bad end is darker than either one.