What are you playing?

Ah, from all VN i've read so far. Clannad is still the best :D... Not only VN, Anime version is good too (good enough to make me cry in front of my family member)...

i just finished Flyable heart a while ago andd i like it. But i can't find someone discussing about Flyable Heart. Actually, i'm looking forward for it's sequel Flyable Candyheart...

I think it depends on the visual novel. if it's a more linear VN like mahotsukai no yoru, then I guess it's okay, since there is only one ending. But I personally won't be satisfied unless I've played them myself. I tend to watch LP ofgames that I have played and see how others experience it.

So I guess it will really depend from person to person

I think it depends on the visual novel. if it's a more linear VN like mahotsukai no yoru, then I guess it's okay, since there is only one ending. But I personally won't be satisfied unless I've played them myself. I tend to watch LP ofgames that I have played and see how others experience it.

So I guess it will really depend from person to person

I understand what you're saying. Like I said I only have a mac right now (my Husband has a windows laptop but he only uses it for his programing stuff for work) so the scope of visual novels that I can play right now is very limited.

Right now on my mac I have:

RE- Alistair (First VN I ever played, completed all endings except for Shiro's.)

Katawa Shoujo (currently playing)

Narcissu (1 & 2) (haven't played yet, I've heard it's a pretty depressing "crying game" but also sweet.)

Ripples (A Kinetic Visual Novel. Completed, wish it was longer.)

Perhaps I should start a thread about what games people would suggest to a mac user.

@Luna - And thus it begins... Macs are definitely the next frontier for VNs. I use an iPad for my work at a hospital as well as personal use, but iOS is as far into the mac realm as I've ever traveled. I've always wanted to learn more, tho, and help with accessibility.

In my mind, because VNs as a whole enjoy low spec-requirements, they may make good candidates for games to be played on a win emulator. Do you use any of the windows emulators out there? Do you have any workarounds for playing Win games on a mac?

@Luna - And thus it begins... Macs are definitely the next frontier for VNs. I use an iPad for my work at a hospital as well as personal use, but iOS is as far into the mac realm as I've ever traveled. I've always wanted to learn more, tho, and help with accessibility.

In my mind, because VNs as a whole enjoy low spec-requirements, they may make good candidates for games to be played on a win emulator. Do you use any of the windows emulators out there? Do you have any workarounds for playing Win games on a mac?

I have did the reverse som time ago, I installed a virutal workstation. On that I would emulate mac OS, worked fine. It's slower as expected, but quite useble on a good computer.

You could do the same with windows, emm, not sure if the software I used is useble on Mac though.

If you have a tablet, it may be possible to install windows 8 on it. Then install vn's on it... I maybe talking bull here, I don't know much about windows 8 lol. Though I know of people who have installed Linux on their android tablets. So it "should" be possible.

Macs are definitely the next frontier for VNs.

Tay, there are other tablets than Apple's you know. I am guessing you meant tablets, as macintosh OS isin't really better or worse suited for vn's.

@Bolverk RE: Macs/iPads - Da, you're right. My brain skipped around a bit and I didn't connect that thought very well. I think that the next big frontier for making VNs popular in the US is for more access to games by Macs. While the majority of computers being used in the US is still in Microsoft's court, the majority of younger people (college aged) (the larger demographic for VN players) are using Macs and iPads. That's what I was trying to say.

@Bolverk RE: Muv-Luv - I know! This game is driving me crazy! I feel like my brain is melting out of my skull, Indiana Jones RLA-style!

I don't really get the dislike for Muv-Luv. If you switch off your higher brain functions you can get a pretty good laugh out of it, just remember to turn it back on for Alternative. On the other hand Steins;Gate is what's really melting my brain. Muv-Luv compartmentalised the silliness very well, it doesn't sabotage the serious parts of the story (in fact i think it made an excellent prologue) whereas this is just painful. Important story moments come up, and suddenly the whole mood is ruined by Okarin's nonsense. For the first time ever i'm seriously considering dropping a VN because it's so bad. It's only my OCD to always finish a story i start that keeps me going.

I don't really get the dislike for Muv-Luv. If you switch off your higher brain functions you can get a pretty good laugh out of it, just remember to turn it back on for Alternative. On the other hand Steins;Gate is what's really melting my brain. Muv-Luv compartmentalised the silliness very well, it doesn't sabotage the serious parts of the story (in fact i think it made an excellent prologue) whereas this is just painful. Important story moments come up, and suddenly the whole mood is ruined by Okarin's nonsense. For the first time ever i'm seriously considering dropping a VN because it's so bad. It's only my OCD to always finish a story i start that keeps me going.

I am not afraid, cos I have trained myself.

I am the bone of my moe.

Herp is my brain, derp is my blood

I have listened to over a thousand moe jokes.

Unknown to lower back pain

Nor known to eye pain.

Have withstood pain to play too many vn's

Yet these hands shall never hold anything

I have no regrets, so I pray Unlimited Moe Works!!!

(Best reality marble ever)

Steins;gate is one of my favorite vn's.. Well each has one's own taste I guess. I have to complete a vn when I start one too attitude, not always such a good idea though, lol.

@Tay, thaat makes alot more sense, lol. I don't know much about US, but in my country most people who use mac's dont play games. They are more like, mac is easy and is friggin hipster. I have kinda a bis agianst it, haaa. Also people who choose mac's are more mainstream, wouldn't they be even less likely to be intrested in vn's?

Well that's just my opinion. (I need to stop posting so late.. Not thinking straight.)

I am not afraid, cos I have trained myself.

I am the bone of my moe.

Herp is my brain, derp is my blood

I have listened to over a thousand moe jokes.

Unknown to lower back pain

Nor known to eye pain.

Have withstood pain to play too many vn's

Yet these hands shall never hold anything

I have no regrets, so I pray Unlimited Moe Works!!!

(Best reality marble ever)

Steins;gate is one of my favorite vn's.. Well each has one's own taste I guess. I have to complete a vn when I start one too attitude, not always such a good idea though, lol.

@Tay, thaat makes alot more sense, lol. I don't know much about US, but in my country most people who use mac's dont play games. They are more like, mac is easy and is friggin hipster. I have kinda a bis agianst it, haaa. Also people who choose mac's are more mainstream, wouldn't they be even less likely to be intrested in vn's?

Well that's just my opinion. (I need to stop posting so late.. Not thinking straight.)

Unlimited Moe Works: Allows the user to summon a copy of every moege heroine he has ever encountered. THE WORLD WILL BOW BEFORE YOU. Either that or you have NTR x 100.

(With regard to Steins;Gate) Well as the story progresses i'm seeing more potential, at this point i'm already committed and genuinely interested in seeing the ending. But Okarin isn't getting any better :(

As for macs just my two cents: from what i've seen so far all gamers i know use windows, all the mac users i know are 'serious' students which have basically 0% chance of touching games, let alone being interested in VNs. Also i doubt a majority of people anywhere use macs, really its just an overpriced pc with a better brand name, which is why every gamer friend i know buys 'normal' computers to get more bang for their buck. It might help to bring it to iPad for the portability factor, but it's quite awkward to play a bishoujo game (i.e. >90% of VNs) on the move, i found that out the hard way playing Idolm@ster on the train with my psp. It's not as bad as say bringing a dakimakura around but it does get people looking at you funny. Also once again iPad is an inefficient use of money for a gamer, who would much rather spend that money on 3ds/vita and their games or perhaps a higher-end pc/laptop. Not saying that it shouldn't be done, but to the people that do porting and stuff it's probably not very high on their priority list.

Unlimited Moe Works: Allows the user to summon a copy of every moege heroine he has ever encountered. THE WORLD WILL BOW BEFORE YOU. Either that or you have NTR x 100.

(With regard to Steins;Gate) Well as the story progresses i'm seeing more potential, at this point i'm already committed and genuinely interested in seeing the ending. But Okarin isn't getting any better :(

As for macs just my two cents: from what i've seen so far all gamers i know use windows, all the mac users i know are 'serious' students which have basically 0% chance of touching games, let alone being interested in VNs. Also i doubt a majority of people anywhere use macs, really its just an overpriced pc with a better brand name, which is why every gamer friend i know buys 'normal' computers to get more bang for their buck. It might help to bring it to iPad for the portability factor, but it's quite awkward to play a bishoujo game (i.e. >90% of VNs) on the move, i found that out the hard way playing Idolm@ster on the train with my psp. It's not as bad as say bringing a dakimakura around but it does get people looking at you funny. Also once again iPad is an inefficient use of money for a gamer, who would much rather spend that money on 3ds/vita and their games or perhaps a higher-end pc/laptop. Not saying that it shouldn't be done, but to the people that do porting and stuff it's probably not very high on their priority list.

It's true though that one of the advantage of mac+ipad is the easy transfer of data in between them. I of course buy windows laptop since I've never been a fan of apple. the only apple product in our family is a jailbreak ipad, which are no longer used. In the end it's preference. If you don't like to play games, a macbook is actually a very good option since the only thing I like about mac is their battery life.

I don't mind playing on the move. for example I play stuff like oreimo portable on public transport, and some people (mainly teenagers) sometimes took a glance to see what I'm playing (probably). It's their problem if they think it's a weird game or something like that.

And going back to Steins;Gate the story is indeed intriguing, although I see the problem of okarin as a protagonist. I actually like it as this is a new kind of protagonist that I haven't seen before. It was the same with Takumi from Chaos;Head, and now I am seeing yet another type of protagonist in Robotics;Notes.

I just finished playing Duel Savior last week and completed Kara no Shoujo this week and enjoyed both. Being so different, they complemented each other well for me.

Duel Savior was a lot of fun with a surprisingly decent battle system. It is a brawler, but the system is treated as a fighting game. Block, parry, super moves, cancels, and even roman cancels are all part of the game, and once you unlock Endless Mode, there are a lot of characters to choose from, though not all have complete move sets. The art is a bit dated but most of the characters are pretty likable. My favorite is Nanashi the adorable zombie girl that wants to be your waifu. Unfortunately, it also has perhaps the worst imouto character I've ever seen, but at least her route is nice. A blast to play overall.

Kara no Shoujo is a murder mystery with a beautiful and chilling atmosphere. It is a tale of obsession and revenge. There is some adventure gameplay and it is actually quite challenging to beat without a walkthrough, which may be a pro or con depending on your perspective. One notable thing is that the characters have realistic hair colors for the most part, so almost everyone has black or at least dark brownish hair unless they're explicitly foreign. Despite the sombre colors and mood, there is indeed humor. The mystery is gripping, though unfortunately some events were too contrived and a lot of questions remain unanswered. Nonetheless, my appetite is whet for the upcoming sequel.

I finally finished Steins;Gate, and in conclusion i say i loved everything except Okarin. A pity since he is the protagonist, but i don't regret spending time on it - to me storyline is the most important so i would still say it is a solid 9/10-tier VN. Now on to Little Busters! It will be my first full-length Key work (Planetarian is the only Key VN i have finished so far), and i have high expectations from what i have heard about it.

Just finished Steins;Gate a few days ago and is now one of my favorite Visual Novels of all time. Currently i'm Playing Chaos;Head (most annoying protagonist ever but the plot is good) and Little Busters! so far I am liking both, and I am now starting to see the Chaos;Head references in Steins;Gates.

Haven't actually begun them yet, but I will be playing these while in India this Nov/December(Also, will probably not be active then. Sorry!):

Togainu no Chi

Eien no Aselia(Got it via Nyaatorrents since I couldn't find it here. Going to redownload from here once it does appear, if this site's version seems better)

Sengoku Rance

Hakuouki

Phenomeno

Hatoful Boyfriend

Kamidori Alchemy Meister

Hoshizora no Memoria

Katawa Shoujo (Read a bit of the opening, like it enough to want to complete the entire thing~)

Analogue - A Hate Story (Digital and Don't Take it Personally were brilliant, so this one is obvious~)

Also going to re-read the following:

Tsukihime (Been itching to re-read the entire thing. So amazing, despite the bad art, at least by today's standards.)

Fate/Stay Night (Mainly because I noticed I have yet to get the Realta Nua True end and UBW Good end. Shame on me ;O; )

Kagetsu Tohya (Quite a few things I missed out the first time I read this, so yeah~)

G Senjou no Maou (Technically, more like finishing. Missed a few routes.)

....Holy shit, I didn't realize I had this much to read. Not sure if looking forward to it or if overwhelmed haha.

Haven't actually begun them yet, but I will be playing these while in India this Nov/December(Also, will probably not be active then. Sorry!):

Togainu no Chi

Eien no Aselia(Got it via Nyaatorrents since I couldn't find it here. Going to redownload from here once it does appear, if this site's version seems better)

Sengoku Rance

Hakuouki

Phenomeno

Hatoful Boyfriend

Kamidori Alchemy Meister

Hoshizora no Memoria

Katawa Shoujo (Read a bit of the opening, like it enough to want to complete the entire thing~)

Analogue - A Hate Story (Digital and Don't Take it Personally were brilliant, so this one is obvious~)

Also going to re-read the following:

Tsukihime (Been itching to re-read the entire thing. So amazing, despite the bad art, at least by today's standards.)

Fate/Stay Night (Mainly because I noticed I have yet to get the Realta Nua True end and UBW Good end. Shame on me ;O; )

Kagetsu Tohya (Quite a few things I missed out the first time I read this, so yeah~)

G Senjou no Maou (Technically, more like finishing. Missed a few routes.)

....Holy shit, I didn't realize I had this much to read. Not sure if looking forward to it or if overwhelmed haha.

that's nothing compared to my backlog, believe me. but yeah, I am now going through tenshin ranman while it's getting translated.

In the middle of:

Deardrops, about 90% done.

Ever17 about 60% done

D.C. Capo just started.

Amaranto and Forest have just been downloaded and are in the stack.

Wanna say, I just finished Phenomeno and I really enjoyed it. If you guys can recommend any more Horror VN's id appreciate it.

that's nothing compared to my backlog, believe me. but yeah, I am now going through tenshin ranman while it's getting translated.

That...that's gotta be one hell of a backlog. Holy crap @@;

Also, I know this is quite off-topic, but I am not too sure whether it deserves its own topic hence why I am asking here:

Should I watch the anime for Steins;Gate first before reading the visual novel, or will the experience be better if I read the VN first?

That...that's gotta be one hell of a backlog. Holy crap @@;

Also, I know this is quite off-topic, but I am not too sure whether it deserves its own topic hence why I am asking here:

Should I watch the anime for Steins;Gate first before reading the visual novel, or will the experience be better if I read the VN first?

well, it depends. The VN will obviously have more content since it the anime won't be able to contain everything from the VN. However, that being said, I think the adaptation is quite excellent and provide everything important pretty much. I myself played the steins;gate VN first, then found out about the anime, but it could go either way.

Back onto the topic, I am now playing Phenomeno. I can't believe I missed this release by Nitro+