What are you playing?

So I finished all the endings for Saya no Uta(damn, that was a short one), and I found it quite enjoyable.  Not quite the mind screw I'd heard it was though.  Fairly predictable if you're into horror or weird fiction.  Still, I liked it quite a bit.

Trying to decide between G-Senjou no Maou and Clannad for my next one...  I've heard good things about both, and I haven't read any of Key's stuff yet.

So I finished all the endings for Saya no Uta(damn, that was a short one), and I found it quite enjoyable.  Not quite the mind screw I'd heard it was though.  Fairly predictable if you're into horror or weird fiction.  Still, I liked it quite a bit.

Trying to decide between G-Senjou no Maou and Clannad for my next one...  I've heard good things about both, and I haven't read any of Key's stuff yet.

I'd say go for Clannad, the sooner you get into Key's stuff the better. :D

Go for G-Senjou, it's pretty awesome and one of the best antagonists i've seen in a VN

By the way, I find it odd that Saya no Uta of all games has the most tastefully narrated H-Scenes I've encountered so far. 

Yeah, I also found it funny how the h-scenes that should've been the most messed up ones from everything I've read were actually the most tolerable from the bunch. Well, the most tolerable I've seen so far was probably in AXANAEL, where they ditch the awkward narration entirely and get things done quick, no awful prolonging and repetition... man those Cross Channel h-scenes still give me nightmares, and I even skipped most of them. :P

As for what to read next, I would also lean towards Clannad. A great starting point for KEY VNs, and it is one of my all time favourite VN if just for the ridiculous amount of content. I haven't played anything with so many routes in it, it really gives you quite a bit of freedom. I recommend trying without a walkthrough at least a few times to see where you end up. :)

So I was recently playing Base-son's Appare! Tenka Gomen. It's got a lot of character ends with a lot of repetiton, though, so I took a break after finishing and before moving on to the fandisk, and switched instead to ChuSinGura 46+1.

OMG, quality whiplash. Appare is a kinda-humorous game about a normal guy sent to a super-large island in the modern era that deliberatly immitates Edo era Japan. ChuSinGura is the of a modern normal guy tossed into tale of the 47 Ronin - a famous story of revenge set in Edo era Japan.

But the quality difference! Appare is shallow humor with an attempt to give a plot tossed on to the true(?) storylines, and some moe characters.

The game proceeds by choosing character centric episodes, with some common story-type episodes interspersed. Unfortunately, the epsiodes were not well thought out or organized, as characters would frequently refer to events that player had not seen (by not choosing that episode), and thus made little sense. Also, because of the unconstrained choice structure, none of the character specific epsiodes could ever advance the character or plot at all - rendering 75% of the game meaningless.

It jumped the third or fourth shark about the time the heroes learned that all of Japan's ills over the past century or two (including WW2 and the Bubble) were caused by jealous Western nations, and only this school of teenage samurai was keeping Japan in its rightful place as the greatest nation on Earth.

When you toss the erratic voice acting and quality control issues onto the poor plot and mediocre characterization, even Base-son's usual good art couldn't pull this game above average.

ChuSinGura is solidly written, with characters that have major development, it has lots of historical accuracy, and even though the tale is famous, the details can go all over the place, leading to some very interesting developments in the story.

The episodic structure (it was originally published as three squential games) was deliberate used as part of the narrative, and each episode cleanly and clearly built upon the rest. Unfortunately, there was a bit of an issue with episodes 4 and 5 - They seem to have been added when the complete package version was released, and although they are a very good 'true' route ending to the entire sequence, it doesn't merge smoothly with the first 3 (especially the ending of ep 3) and suffers from some tone change issues.

Good art, top notch voice acting, and plenty of high adrenaline combat scenes kept the story exciting and immersive.

So, I played a meh-quality moe game about the Edo era, then a top-notch game about the Edo era, and now I'm supposed to go back the meh-moe again? Hell, no. Maybe later, but in the meantime, I think I'll move on to something more interesting. Like Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai - or maybe watching paint dry, that might be better, too.

(あっぱれ? Not あわれ?)

By the way, I find it odd that Saya no Uta of all games has the most tastefully narrated H-Scenes I've encountered so far. 

Now, if you want terribly narrated h-scenes, read Fate/stay night.  The narration completely ruins the mood in most of them.  Really, I think in one point one of the heroine's lady parts are compared to seafood, and in another one Shirou says that the sex "feels so good he could vomit".  Not joking.

Now, if you want terribly narrated h-scenes, read Fate/stay night.  The narration completely ruins the mood in most of them.  Really, I think in one point one of the heroine's lady parts are compared to seafood, and in another one Shirou says that the sex "feels so good he could vomit".  Not joking.

The memories of them make me giggle a bit. I don't remember the seafood one though.

I think the seafood one is from Tsukihime. Relevant link: http://whynasu.tumblr.com/

Dunno.  Maybe?  Pretty sure it's also in F/sn.  I know at least the "it feels so good I could vomit" originated from F/sn.  Gotta give a hand to the writers, they really worked hard to make a romantic atmosphere.  [/sarcasm]

I thought Grisaia had pretty good h-scenes, I didn't even skip them--- but yes, there are some purposefully hilarious ones. :D

I wouldn't mind if it was the most cheesy cliched H scene. Humor in H scenes however, does not sit well with me. I'd probably put up with it to continue the story but that's definitely a con in my book.

I wouldn't mind if it was the most cheesy cliched H scene. Humor in H scenes however, does not sit well with me. I'd probably put up with it to continue the story but that's definitely a con in my book.

I'm the exact opposite.  My biggest problem with the H-scenes in most of the VNs I've read(Saya no Uta now being a big exception) is that they don't add anything to the experience.  Like the sex scenes in recent Bioware games, they are written with little concern for how they mesh with the overall story, serving as nothing more significant than a video game "achievement" handed to the player for little to no effort.  At least humor shows that the writer is trying to entertain me.