What are you playing?

27779.jpg

Started Kisaragai Gold Star as a fall season game. Maybe I'll also start a halloween themed game.

キサラギGOLD★STAR

It's a rather lighthearted charage with some mystery surrounding their past with everyone possessing a mysterious glowing bracelet. The music is pretty good. So far it's a fairly funny and relaxing game. The story is a normal protagonist surrounded by talented childhood friends, and their shenanigenans together. So all the heroines are all osananajimi charas with exception of his sister. We'll see where it goes from here.

I went for Ichika route first, because I liked her voice actor the most. Then, I went for Mikoto route after.

xs3r61.jpg

Recently I've finished Ayakashi. I've actually heard of the game back in 2010 but only got around to it this year. It was really enjoyable, it's been a long time since I've played a game like it - the writing is to the point and easy to read, but it draws you into the world. The story about the protagonists fighting other people with parasitic supernatural beings (a lot like Jojo stands) is used to deliver an overarching theme of getting over the loss of your close friends and lovers. There are a lot of bonus routes that show different perspectives and it's cool how you gradually figure out the setting. In particular I liked the relationship Maekawa has with the villain. The highly dynamic scenes with a lot of CG changes (the CG collection is huge!) were also great and gave it a a shonen manga feeling. And of on top of all it the humor was good, Anzu's route in particular had some hilarious moments.
It's a shame that apricot/crossnet never tried publishing it overseas, I think it would have been decently popular.

Next I've started Maple Colors, their previous game. There's a massive cast, and a lot of them are very memorable. The main heroine in particular, Mirai. Some of the minigames (it has fast-paced minigames you have to beat to recruit some people) are crazy hard.
I've played about 10 hours, but I ran into some technical problems, sometimes when I start the game the fps is either low or very high. Not sure what causes it

This godforsaken minigame right here:

Spoiler

Screenshot_2022-10-06_22.01.03.png

25545.jpg

祝姫

It has some of Ryuukishi's trademark writing: the unreliable protagonist, the sudden shifts in mood, the blurring of reality and fantasy, but without any of his themes. It's a rather bland and boring horror game, but shows some of his spark from time to time.

So far, it's a rather standard B flick horror movie. They just try and shove as many disgusting things at you as possible. They don't even show the worst of it explicitly, which makes it a rather half-assed game. I feel like the art doesn't really contribute anything to Ryuukishi's writing. If there is any good thing that came from this, the voice acting is top notch.

Ryuukishi really knows how to go back to being a kid and write SOL the way a kid would think, but the problem is it doesn't fit the story this time. Overall, a rather mediocre experience.

Currently rereading umineko and to heart two. Both of which I am considering giving a ten. Umineko for the amazing writing and making me a better and more invested reader in all books. As for to heart two... It's sho kyute! Manaka best girl, I am willing to challenge anyone to a boxing match over this statement.

No but seriously manaka's route is exactly what I would write and fouces on in a vn of my making. So wholesome, they say what men want is disgusting but I just want to headpat/hold hands with a kyute girl and have tea :<

On 9/23/2012 at 10:46 AM, Jarm said:

Currently Playing Katawa Shoujo. STEINS;GATE, and trying to also play Little Busters but my Anti Virus software keeps saying it be infected :( ... oh well

As a disabled person, I can't read this book. I don't know how they did it. But that book hurts me more emotionally then any other piece of medium I've ever had. Thay absolutely nailed how fucking horrible it is being disabled. 

One day I will read it, not anytime soon but I'm sure when it does it will be a rare ten.

Just yesterday I played a bit of Mother Matron, which is some funky horror denpa game I found where you are living in some isolated world where rats rule the sewers and there are scraps of metal falling from the sky, killing people. It's definitely horror and it got me once or twice scared. What adds to the positives is that the game has some solid voice acting despite being a totally free game.

Rd0iHXz.png

And today I started playing FAKKUs newest release, St. Yariman's Little Black Book which is an Orcsoft ZOMBIE Nukige with my beloved gyarus. There are four girls in total and they all have vastly different personalities, that are still quite one-note. I liked Mana's part the most because I like that cutesy e-girl idol star personality she has. The dialogue is quite good and the localization is also not half bad. I noticed at some point however they omitted mentions of Mesugaki, but at another part of the game they translated that into "bratty little kid" so my suspicions of forced censorship can be laid aside. It's a decent pick up for slutty gyaru nukige and I'm happy that FAKKU localized this.

Have some examples of funny dialogue:

Spoiler

gViGPmY.jpeg

vLIH4cE.jpeg

0HgLSJw.jpeg

4t4LPRN.jpeg

Just finished Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse

Spoiler

Well, they sure dropped the ball on this one. Yuuya was for sure an improvement over Takeru in most ways. Takeru got phased out in Alternative more and more as the story progressed. Yuuya stayed in the spotlight. Anyways, i felt after reading this that i had just wasted about 40 hours of my life. Half the story was just explanations and infodumps galore, getting to know the characters inbetween and liking most of them. Actually, only Yui's sometimes schizophrenic behavior rubbed me the wrong way, but i didn't dislike her. At a certain part in the story they reveal Yui is his sister and conveniantly he's been acting like the biggest donkan ever about her advances. Like Age thought we NEED romantic sub elements for the story to work, yet Yuuya didn't bite because it would be weird later when revealed most likely. He's had a GF before so him being this much of a donkan doesn't make much sense. Ironically there was nothing donkan about his interactions with Cryska, but that's alright, too bad the story did her bad. Anyway, later on in the story everything gets thrown to the wayside. Why did i suffer through all those infodumps? what purpose did they server? Absolutely no clue, but they ate a ton of time and served no purpose in the end other probably reaching a certain word count.  Then came the final battle. Very atmospheric and engaging, yet they botched the final fight and basically skipped ahead. Enter cliffhanger.

Well, i can't say i was very impressed with this, but at least it's out of the way.

Now to finally start Muramasa

Edited by Stormwolf

1 hour ago, Stormwolf said:

Just finished Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse

Reveal hidden contents

Well, they sure dropped the ball on this one. Yuuya was for sure an improvement over Takeru in most ways. Takeru got phased out in Alternative more and more as the story progressed. Yuuya stayed in the spotlight. Anyways, i felt after reading this that i had just wasted about 40 hours of my life. Half the story was just explanations and infodumps galore, getting to know the characters inbetween and liking most of them. Actually, only Yui's sometimes schizophrenic behavior rubbed me the wrong way, but i didn't dislike her. At a certain part in the story they reveal Yui is his sister and conveniantly he's been acting like the biggest donkan ever about her advances. Like Age thought we NEED romantic sub elements for the story to work, yet Yuuya didn't bite because it would be weird later when revealed most likely. He's had a GF before so him being this much of a donkan doesn't make much sense. Ironically there was nothing donkan about his interactions with Cryska, but that's alright, too bad the story did her bad. Anyway, later on in the story everything gets thrown to the wayside. Why did i suffer through all those infodumps? what purpose did they server? Absolutely no clue, but they ate a ton of time and served no purpose in the end other probably reaching a certain word count.  Then came the final battle. Very atmospheric and engaging, yet they botched the final fight and basically skipped ahead. Enter cliffhanger.

Well, i can't say i was very impressed with this, but at least it's out of the way.

Now to finally start Muramasa

Oh welcome Stormwolf. You're one of the oldies who came back. That's cool!

Well, what I'm now playing is "The school nurse and his bubble addicted assistant" (https://vndb.org/r93778) which fantranslation was recently released by @Tsukishiro. Unfortunately the first person who did QC botched the QC a bit and Papa Hata has to come in and QC the thing (I was supposed to be the QC for the game, but due to Fuwanovel and all that jazz I became too busy). I'm currently working on QCing this game in 2-3 days of time and then everyone can play this without any problems :)

It's pretty cute and I recommend it. Also the heroine has a funny quirk of blowing bubbles in her friend's face when she's mad.

You can play the game here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10efcGtsBReHb8Ap9WxWHm6n4uGNhdzj7

5TAONsQ.png

13 hours ago, HataVNI said:

Oh welcome Stormwolf. You're one of the oldies who came back. That's cool!

Well, what I'm now playing is "The school nurse and his bubble addicted assistant" (https://vndb.org/r93778) which fantranslation was recently released by @Tsukishiro. Unfortunately the first person who did QC botched the QC a bit and Papa Hata has to come in and QC the thing (I was supposed to be the QC for the game, but due to Fuwanovel and all that jazz I became too busy). I'm currently working on QCing this game in 2-3 days of time and then everyone can play this without any problems :)

It's pretty cute and I recommend it. Also the heroine has a funny quirk of blowing bubbles in her friend's face when she's mad.

You can play the game here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10efcGtsBReHb8Ap9WxWHm6n4uGNhdzj7

5TAONsQ.png

Thanks! Only temporarily gone though. Always been like that. Interest goes from different media. Lately it's been regular games and mmo's and i figured it was about time to read total eclipse

I finished Kisaragi Gold Star and Rance 01 this week. I also started Asairo, but still at the beginning so not much to say yet.

27779.jpg

キサラギGOLD★STAR

Prose-wise it's fairly simple, but character dialogue is decently written. It is far from Niijima's best work though as the story itself is fairly plain. The writing gets fairly bad in the specific parts though, by that I mean lack of detail in the girl's talents. When writing about Kendou, art, piano, or singing, it shows the writer's lack of knowledge, avoiding writing any details. It's fairly bad in Tsubasa's part.

Spoiler

They were making our MC, a complete amateur in piano learn to perform a song in 4 days. Lol, are they trying to give the guy a trauma that he won't forget for the rest of his life? But somehow, it all works out.

Saya route started ok, but the drama is very cringe. And the True route is well not that good. It was rather incomplete and just kind of ended. Overall, it's a a slightly above average moege.

25995.jpg

ランス01 光をもとめて

I've started my journey in Rance by starting at the beginning. Technically, I played Sengoku before, but I want to start from the beginning.

This game gives me a good start for what the Rance world is like. Rance World is pretty fucked up, lol. I can now kinda see where he's coming from, because everyone else is really fucked up and you can't help but be influenced growing in that kind of environment. It still doesn't make Rance any less of an asshole, but it is what keeps it entertaining. Rance is a very extreme version of the badass macho guy of 80's and 90's tropes.

Music is meh, but art is pretty good. Gameplay is rather simple and mediocre, but entertaining enough considering it's a remake of a 1989 game.

Edited by Nemesis
Spoiler

5 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Overall, it's a a slightly above average moege.

I wonder what my impression of Kisaragi Gold Star will be, when I eventually get to it ;)

Currently I'm going little by little through Clover Day's - recently I don't have that much time for reading, so I'm reading around an hour/day, so I'm still on the Hekiru's route - I entered the second part of the route (got achievement/trophy for completing the chapter ;) )

Edited by adamstan

Currently, I'm reading Hoshi no Ori: Yume Mirai. The perfect edition of the game in particular, which adds extra scenes, and quality of life improvements. https://vndb.org/v14265

The game was never released in English officially, so I'm reading it with a patch, there have been several patches made over the years because of Hoshi Ori's many different releases. Anyways, I'm on my first play-through of the VN, doing Marika's route. I was recommended to play this by a ton of people, and I'm glad they did. It gives the reader those nostalgic feels, and the overall presentation is beautiful.

I've also added it to my Steam library as a Non-steam game as you can see below!

image.png?width=1167&height=566

On 10/22/2022 at 5:33 PM, HataVNI said:

I wanted to play some Chaos;Head NoAH today, but I spent my entire day translating some cool smut for a client. So I was in the mood to play more smut today and picked out the new DwarfSoft game "Kankin Byoutou~ Kyonyuu Chijo Nurse no Nyuuin Kango Kiroku~" because I'm a big fan of Nurse games and Dark One/Shiravune's Nope Nope Nurses (Sakusei Byoutou) Series is something I really enjoyed. The game features three heroines on the cover, Shiina Chisa, Miyabi Himoto and Tamaki Isahaya. There might be more, but I just played three scenes now.

Plot is basically that you wake up without memories inside a remote hospital somewhere in the boonies and you have no remembrance whatsoever. So you're waking up tied to the hospital bed and the nurses have their way with you. The first one, Chisa, reminds me of Tachibana because her shtick is that she's emotionless. However, she can't really hold herself back so you find her panting and getting horny when she jerks you off. So it's a bit like Sakusei Byoutou, but not really.

Reveal hidden contents

5pXemOd.jpeg

The second girl is Miyabi Himoto and she's a thick Onee-san type that really really wants to baby you badly. You're confronted with lots of baby speak, she forces you to pee into a latrine and you suck on her boobs while she gives you the good old jerky. She can yell very loud when she becomes aroused (I had to turn down my headphones lol)

Reveal hidden contents

T0FBOgl.jpeg

The third girl is my beloved Tama-chan. For some reason the Kamige producer of this game made the chief doctor girl a Mesugaki Namaiki Gyaru with blonde hair and the typical gyaru speak. I absolutely adore her and she's pretty sexy. She seems to be quite smart, skipped classes and is a legit doctor. She also seems not to be pulling the strings behind the scenes, because she occasionally calls her "Papa" on the phone (whether this is Papakatsu or her actual father is left open thus far) about what to do with the protagonist. Her first hentai scene is a titfuck and she scoops up some of your seem for whatever purpose to use later. Weird.

sTNNGDj.jpeg

I think I'll keep playing this. There's a bit of mystery in there with the memory loss and even though it's probably a pretty shallow plot, I'm doing it for Isahaya-chan. Maybe the game surprises me, idk.

The THICC Nurse tho...

28669.jpg

きっと、澄みわたる朝色よりも、

Prose-wise it is good as can be expected from Shumon Yuu. The dialogue and characters seem interesting so far. The dialogue is quite subtle, hinting at a lot of things without outright saying it. I also like the humour so far.

Conversation can start from something mundane and turn into something interesting What is hypocrisy? What is the difference between 善 and 偽善?

We'll see where it goes with the story for now as I still have no idea what the hints are for right now.

Ok the hints have gotten big enough that I can guess some of the things that happened. Poor Araragi.

44578.jpg

ランス02改 反逆の少女たち

Rance 02 just feels like a very mediocre RPG. There is nothing unique about the gameplay or the story at all, and I honestly can't find anything to praise it for. It is still I would say worth playing for the introduction of a lot of characters which will play a bigger role later in the series. It's interesting to see Rance character design being younger.

1 hour ago, Nemesis said:

Rance 02 just feels like a very mediocre RPG. There is nothing unique about the gameplay or the story at all, and I honestly can't find anything to praise it for. It is still I would say worth playing for the introduction of a lot of characters which will play a bigger role later in the series. It's interesting to see Rance character design being younger.

It's a good thing the Digest Editions exist for 1 and 2. I couldn't stand the gameplay for more than an hour, remake or old

Currently playing Gore Screaming Show and Shabondama every day. I played GSS Akane Route in JP long ago, but in English it is so much more cozy and I don't need to look up shit because that engine sucks and you can't really tab out much when fullscreen to look something up if you need to.

I do notice some very minor QC issues that I have to screenshot, it's quite impossible for me to read a game without looking at the grammar and spelling like a madman (thanks QC virus) but the game is pretty fun. I hope it absolutely kills it for me later.

MRPYIE0.png

IMwCPgJ.png

hLwFnxE.png

Asairo is a heavy emotional read, so I need a break from time to time. I read Jesus 13th in between those times.

28669.jpg

きっと、澄みわたる朝色よりも

It started out slow, but once it picks up, it really picks up. I really like how expressive the characters are.

The art and background CGs are beautiful. Add to that Shumon's writing combined with the music and it creates a mystical atmosphere.

The story is mainly about the bonds between people. This is what real kotodama tsukai is about. I'll stop here as the less I say about Asairo the better.

ジーザス13th -喪失われた学園-

It is very Xuse-like game. It has strong world building and a very chuuni atmosphere.

It had interesting buildup, but then it just ends. It feels like the game is just unfinished. A bit of wasted potential, and the animated h-scenes were rather mediocre.

Summer Pockets Reflection Blue

...I'll be honest, I'm like, totally a grandpa now and so if I red Summer Pockets like 10 years ago back when I red the other Key SoL funstuff like of Rewrite / Little Busters maybe I would've liked Summer Pockets a bit more and included it in my SoL Hall of Fame, but nowadays it's just not really my cup of tea anymore lol 

To be fair I didn't make it to the true route/ending to get to the good ol' KEY magic bits but mannn I ran out of steam hardcore after going through the four main heroines and not being interested in the Reflection Blue heroines. I'll check it out sometime later when I'm in the mood for SoL

JL7nX9d.png

^...Because I wanna do dirty things to you, Shiroha- I mean uhhh, for safety reasons!

But yeah, gorgeous visuals and whatnot, but just not in the mood for slice of life atm

~~
Okay so, Meteor World Actor. I know, wtf is that title right?
nf8Fxpx.png

^It's a police/crime VN set in a futuristic fictional world that has superpowers and fantasy races like Elves and Segitts. I know, what a weird mix right?

The protagonist is (first name) Ruka Hiryu, a detective from the outcast sideliner "13th Division" of the National Police Agency (NPA). He's an antihero type with a bad attitude, slacker work ethic, and pisspoor financials but is competent enough to hold his own when it matters (sometimes) (every now and then) (maybe)

Yx8jalw.png

^That's Claris, Ruka's Elven kouhai rookie partner who just joined NPA but got shoved into the troublemaker 13th Division 'cuz she's an elf. Racial discrimination at its finest. Ruka likes to belittle and bully her but as you can see she can be pretty feisty herself.

The story plays episodic, which each major case-of-the-week focusing on certain characters/heroines while giving more insight into Ruka's character and his longterm motivations.

The cast is diverse and fantastic. Most of the time people are just bagging on Ruka for being a worthless good for nothing detective but there is a good sense of unspoken camaraderie between the cast
Lj7oCJz.png

^Ruka only lies 125% of the time, nbd

It unfortunately ends in a cliffhanger, because eff you that's why, but don't worry, you can read the sequel Badge and Dagger, but that'll also end in a cliffhanger right when they get to the good bits with getting ready to hunt for the big baddie, because again eff you. Except this time the sequel sequel is not out yet sadface

Okay, so yesterday I finished my third route in Clover Day's - it was Anzu.

So far the VN was very uneven for me. Common route was brilliant - like I said in my previous post. All heroines are lovely, and I really liked both the humor and the more serious bits. But then the first two routes I read - Hekiru/Hikaru and Anri - were slightly disappointing. Maybe my expectations were too high?

As for the Hekiru's route, I was really looking forward to it after what I've seen in common route. But

Spoiler

I didn't like that they forced a threesome ending for Hekiru and Hikaru - it felt like a cheap cop out. But OTOH that's standard eroge fare, so perhaps I should expect it :P

BTW was it only me, or some parts of Hikaru/Hekiru drama were similar to the story of Kyou and Ryou from Clannad?

Anri's route was better - perhaps partially thanks to the side characters having bigger role. I really liked school election plot and the friendship with Mizuho. Gave me some Koichoco and Princess Evangile flashbacks :) What I didn't like about Anri's route was that it was relying too heavily on many Imouto x Oniichan tropes :P But all in all, it was decent - although I expected more.

And then Anzu's route hit - whoah, that was amazing 😮 It's hard to believe, that it was written by the same author as Anri's route.

On 10/22/2022 at 11:13 PM, ittaku said:

Hekiru/Hikaru->Tsubame->Izumi->Anri->Anzu, or

Hekiru/Hikaru->Anri->Anzu->Tsubame->Izumi (my preferred)

for plot reasons, depending on which is your favourite pair of girls (as they are paired routes) and whether you want to do them last.

Although I'm not sure, if it was right move to put this route in the middle, instead of the end - it had strong "true route" vibes, with it being more "Takakura family route" than "Anzu route". Nevertheless it was amazing nakigey story - no complaints here. And that plot twist with

Spoiler

Shion being Yuuto's real mother, and Nodoka being a ghost (?) of his unborn twin sister

Now, that's some KEY-worthy stuff ❤️

Now let's see what Tsubame's and Izumi's routes have in store for me :)

Edited by adamstan

15 minutes ago, ittaku said:

The H/H route is the weakest and adds little to the story, which is why it goes first.

Yeah, when looking from that POV, it's good to have it out of the way ;) Luckily while weakest, it was still decent enough to keep me reading.

15 minutes ago, ittaku said:

I just prefer Izumi as a heroine which is why I leave it for last.

For the first few scenes in the common route I found Izumi rather annoying, but later she grew on me, and I'm really looking forward to her route :)

Edited by adamstan

Finished Asairo.

28669.jpg

きっと、澄みわたる朝色よりも、

Spoiler

Waka seems to have a peculiar focus on kindness. According to Sasamaru, kindness is something innate, people are born with, and depending on the circumstances, it can be brought out or hidden from sight. According to Hiyo and Araragi, kindness is something that's passed on from person to person. Harutsuge says that kindness is something that only comes with pain. Kindness without pain is only spoiling someone. 「だから"優しくする"って事と"甘やかす"って事は違う。似ているけど決定的に違う。」 Araragi is more of a selfless kindness that prioritizes the group over herself.

「優しさなど枯れてしえまえばいい」

葉が赤色に牛われるものを"紅葉"

葉が黄色に牛われるものを"黄葉"

葉が褐色に牛われるものを"褐葉"

これはそれぞれが泣いた結果。

この涙を総称して、"紅葉"と呼ぶ。

Just like how trees lose their leaves to survive, we shed tears to be able to move forward.

Everything written by Shumon Yuu is overflowing with Wa(和). I'm glad to have experienced this piece of art that represents Fall and 紅葉. It lacks the analytical thinking of Scaji, but it's pretty much saying the same thing in a more poetic point of view. Pain comes with happiness and kindness. Pain is needed for us to be able to distinguish happiness from everything else. I think I've said too much already, this is best experienced for yourself.

Finished 月姫 -A piece of blue glass moon-

48041.jpg

Not a fan of the Nintendo Switch but after playing Pokemon Scarlet I figured it was a good time to finally pick this up. Never read the original but this one was pretty poggers. Nasu’s writing was compelling and immersive without the need for overly flowery prose or deep philosophical inquiry. There was never a dull moment and the screenplay of the game itself was very polished and beautiful as expected from an end of 2021 release. The backgrounds, sprites, and scene transitions are all woven so seamlessly that the visuals look as if they were taken from a movie. Most importantly I found myself being able to actually empathize with all of the main characters and exploring the world out of curiosity. It’s been a while since I had this much fun reading.

Also the voiced version of 魔法使いの夜 comes out in less than 2 days. Hands up hands up. What a time to be alive

Read through Biman4 and playing through Rance 03.

26343.jpg

ランス03 リーザス陥落

Rance 03 has interesting world building, but at the same time it has rather shallow and unrealistic characters.

Spoiler

You basically have a character who was being tortured and humiliated for days come out normally and resume her normal duties immediately after being rescued.

Only Shizuka and Kanami feel like actual people. That's not even considering the nameless characters. A lot of the side characters act like complete NPC's just saying as they were programmed to do. At the end of the day, it's a nukige parodying an RPG.

It also has stronger gameplay compared to the first 2 games, and a lot more fun to actually play through instead of feeling like a grind.

In terms of writing, it is good for an RPG, but rather simple and minimal compared to an actual plotge. Reading this in Japanese also made me remember how bad the translations are in the English Rance community: 魔人 as dark lord is just lol.

美少女万華鏡 -罪と罰の少女-

I think this one is too strong in the fetish department for me:

Spoiler

Incest, S&M, crossdressing, blackmail, etc.

It has the heaviest plot in the series so far, but that does not necessarily mean best. I'm not even sure what the theme of the game is. They reference Crime and Punishment from the title, but I don't see the thematic relevance.

Ending leaves us with some interesting development for the next game.