What are you playing?

I'm about midway, or maybe in the final stretch of Yu-No's lategame/true/final route, and wanted to drop some comments before I finish

It basically pulls a Muv-Luv Unlimited, or Rewrite post common route/Terra route in terms of the story and pacing just flipping on its head

And unfortunately it doesn't do it too well

Main complaint being the pacing, the story events themselves are passable though definitely not what I was expecting.

Pacing-wise it'll take you a solid 20-30 hours to read through a mere 3 days worth of events for 4-5 heroines.

The final route in YU-NO? in just 4-5 hours you'll go through 4-6+ YEARS worth of events. It's jarring af. Characters like Illia, Kun-Kun, Amanda, even Celes, feel so insignificant since they're introduced so damn late into the VN and then only get like 30min - 2 hrs of screentime. The connection to these characters who are supposed to be really important just isn't there. And then you meet the G-M and it's like HOLY SHIT I MISSED YOU JFC I SPENT THE LAST 5 HRS 5 YEARS WITH STRANGERS WHO I DIDN'T CARE ABOUT

The sad thing is even though I'm complaining that the pacing is bad because too much happens in too little readtime, I actually don't think padding the 4-6+ years of events to take like 10-15 hrs of readtime or something would've helped, because when you're this late into the game on the supposed final, all revealing route that extra padding to flesh out these characters would probably instead just make you feel like it's too dragged out lol.

16 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

Main complaint being the pacing, the story events themselves are passable though definitely not what I was expecting.

Actually that change of pacing didn't bother me much. Rather, the final route was perhaps my favorite part of the game.

16 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

Pacing-wise it'll take you a solid 20-30 hours to read through a mere 3 days worth of events for 4-5 heroines.

I'd say that it was a bit artificially slowed down by all that adventure game mechanics. Of course final route makes some huge timeskips, but it still worked for me. And I really appreciated that it ditched the point'n'click mechanics.

Disclaimer: I played fan-TL of original with added voice patch. Maybe remake does some things differently?

Edited by adamstan

5 hours ago, adamstan said:

Disclaimer: I played fan-TL of original with added voice patch. Maybe remake does some things differently?

Afaik the remake uses the original script (without H-scenes).

5 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

I'm about midway, or maybe in the final stretch of Yu-No's lategame/true/final route, and wanted to drop some comments before I finish

It basically pulls a Muv-Luv Unlimited, or Rewrite post common route/Terra route in terms of the story and pacing just flipping on its head

And unfortunately it doesn't do it too well

The final route in YU-NO? in just 4-5 hours you'll go through 4-6+ YEARS worth of events. It's jarring af. Characters like Illia, Kun-Kun, Amanda, even Celes, feel so insignificant since they're introduced so damn late into the VN and then only get like 30min - 2 hrs of screentime. The connection to these characters who are supposed to be really important just isn't there. And then you meet the G-M and it's like HOLY SHIT I MISSED YOU JFC I SPENT THE LAST 5 HRS 5 YEARS WITH STRANGERS WHO I DIDN'T CARE ABOUT

The sad thing is even though I'm complaining that the pacing is bad because too much happens in too little readtime, I actually don't think padding the 4-6+ years of events to take like 10-15 hrs of readtime or something would've helped, because when you're this late into the game on the supposed final, all revealing route that extra padding to flesh out these characters would probably instead just make you feel like it's too dragged out lol.

The main issue with the final route imo is how disconnected it is from the main game. The "not caring about side characters introduced 30 hours into the game" part wouldn't be as much of a problem if there was something you cared about in the first half that carried over, like

Spoiler

giving Takuji a proper reason why he had to return to his world or bringing over or having more characters from there appear in the fantasy world. For example you could have Kanna, who kind gets build up as the main heroine, whose route you have to do last anyway and who seems to originate from Dela Gratia, transfer over with Takuji and become the romantic interest instead of including Celes. You'd immediately have a stronger bond with their child as well (they would have to change Yu-No's hair color to blue or black though).

Aight, finished YU-NO. I actually only had 1-2 more hours of readtime when I made my prior post lol.

Overall enjoyable. My failure to appreciate the final route as much as I could've was more due to my tendency to come into final routes waaay too overhyped. I blame Ever17. Ever since that VN I've always expected true routes to be mind blowing braingasm experiences so it can be very easy for me to bamboozle myself and end up disappointed.

One of the things I liked the most was the jigsaw puzzle plot revelation format, where every heroine route focuses on a core mystery and you only get the complete picture once you've read everything. It's a great way to keep the reader hooked.

Not gonna do too much of an indepth misc. thoughts, I'm kind of out of mental power atm sorryz

(Spoilers):

Spoiler

Kanna route:

Spoiler

Kanna's my guilty pleasure heroine. Gotta love the spikey blue hair, really love how great she looks modern compared to her 1996 self:

0iR7Dhb.jpg

4368.jpg

I think it's a shame they didn't do more with Kanna. Why was she at the prologue overlooking the Ryuuzouji-points-gun-at-Takuya scenario, where both Ryuuzouji and Ayumi get flung into Del Grante and thus make an appearance in the final route, and yet Kanna is nowhere to be seen? She was also fairly prominent in Mio's route, always watching over/warning the duo and then at the end when Takuya is mourning Mitsuki/Yuuki's death she LEAPS DOWN THE WELL to go fetch Takuya and set him back on the right track. Point being she's established as this enigmatic girl who knows what's going on, has great physical prowess, and maybe even has her own Reflector.

And then in her route she just fumbles around getting shoved into the sand, getting slandered and bullied for her promiscuity, and getting hot fevers that make her bed-ridden all day errday.

Takuya says he has some unknown attachment to her and can't explain why he's so fond of her. Reflected in him instantly settling on calling her Kanna-chan despite not knowing her that much which I think was simply adorbs.

l9h6Ao8.jpg

Btw, who thought Amanda was Eriko the first time around? *Raises hand*

Based on the photo, we know Kanna is the daughter of who you'll eventually learn to be Amanda. Guess who Amanda banged prior to getting sent 50 years into the past during the final route climax showdown vs Ryuuzouji? Takuya! I don't think the VN pointed this out, it's one of those clever HORY SHI! revelations that the writers decided to let readers connect the dots for themselves and I thought was pretty neat.

Kaori

Spoiler

NGL, I totally tripped out when I was going through Kanna's route and saw a green branching line path. I was like, wait what????? Kaori has her own route? No friggen' way, isn't she just a side character like Eriko-sensei?

And yeah, she ultimately is. Her route is basically 80% the same Kanna-centric events except you can become Kaori's partner in crime towards the end.

kHB61in.jpg

Also NGL, I indeed got bamboozled by "Hand over the stone", because even though you already know you should hold onto it to save Kanna, I was actually trusting of Kaori because of her help was what was needed to reach Ayumi's good end via the incriminating photo evidence vs. Toyotomi, and there you had to trust giving her the 20th document page in order to do that. Man she was such a wildcard.

Btw, most here's the most criminally underused epic "make your decision!" track that was used for the above. Legit only used THREE times in the VN iirc: 1 for 20th document Kaori, 2 for hypersense stone Kaori above, and 3 for partnering with Mitsuki or Yuuki during Mio's route:

Tangent: they should've made the late game final route "untie Ryuuzouji" be an actual player choice rather than Takuya automatically doing so and then play this theme, and it would've been up to the reader to deduce that Ryuuzouji is and always will be a bad guy whom cannot be trusted:

qmUE3k9.jpg

Because, well, okay, call me stupid, but at this point I was actually starting to get red herring'd and reverse big brain myself into thinking "maybe Ryuuzouji is not a bad guy, he's pulling a Harry Potter Sorcerer(Philosopher)'s Stone Snape act and only looked like a villain all this time, he's actually been trying to get the Reflector to go after Koudai/Takuya's dad who will end up being the true big baddie. Yes, I had this train of thought at one point LOL.

But I digress. Ultimately disappointed in Kaori's route ending in that she was just another pawn of Ryuuzouji's, the girl legit appeared to have her own goals and ambitions...
CHTuA9V.jpg

... but she ended up being a Mass-Effect-3-Illusive-Man-tier fodder. Whatta shame.

True Route

Spoiler

Don't laugh at me, I thought Celes would turn out to be Takuya's real mom or something. Really weird that the story/motivations behind Koudai + time travel/rewrite history to pursue Takuya's mom is never properly concluded, since that was one of the main big questions of the entire VN. 

Characters who's deaths I didn't care about: Illia (waaaay too little screentime), Kun-Kun (waaay too little screentime), Celes (decent screentime but felt too sudden/underwhelming. How did she die again? She bit her tongue and bled to death from that?

25ejv1y.jpg
WTF was up with Kun-Kun's death. 30 minute screentime lizard thing, it flies you to safety, dies, and you have to eat it to survive but Takuya is being a lil' bitch about it cuz of the whole morality thing. Felt like VERY cheap attempts for the feels but i simply didn't care for any of it.

The disconnect between the final route and the main game was so stronk I even didn't care for God-Monarch Ayumi's death, even though she is the 'original' Ayumi in the prologue who suffered through 5 years of solitude and even though I bawled like a baby for Ayumi's suicide end in the main game. But yeah, Ayumi is my best girl so it did make my heart sink a bit to have her canonically die in the true route. At least it's not as bad as Mitsuki, who apparently is fated to die on day three no matter what (so she doesn't even get an epilogue end like Kanna/Mio/Ayumi do, RIP). Btw kudos to the writers for bamboozling me on who the God-Monarch was, I was 50/50 on Ryuuzouji or Koudai but Ayumi legit came out of nowhere and it absolutely caught me off guard.

Btw, missed opportunity with the post game Epilogue ends for Kanna/Mio/Ayumi that are obtainable only after finishing final route: most of the 'good' ends on the main game end on kind of a bittersweet tone where the heroine laments for a bit before Takuya has to jewel or get Chaos Corrected back to the beginning, an example being Kanna's:

io3M5B5.jpg
And so when I finish the final route and then grind back to here I expect it to pick up from this exact bittersweet moment and Takuya to be like, "Yo, I'm back". It would've felt so COMPLETE and satiated all of my "They earned their happy ending" cravings for years to come. But nope, there is no continuity. There's no Kanna survives -> Kanna wishes Takuya luck  -> Takuya goes through YU-NO -> Takuya returns to Kanna -> Happy end going on here. It's just Kanna survives -> Happy end. A small little nitpick tbh but yeah I think these post game epilogue ends would've had alot more OOMPH if they went for continuity. Hell the VN even makes you CHOOSE whether to get the epilogue end or the normal bittersweet end:

IiQq3Tu.jpg

HOW ABOUT, CONTINUE ON REGULAR ROUTE AND THEN GIVE ME AYUMI'S END YA DAMN GAME. FEELS MORE COMPLETE THAT WAY.

Celes appeared in Mio's route, right? When the duo were lost in the underground lake area and growing fatigued she guided Takuya to find the lightning tower. But Celes is dead in the final route, so which Celes was that? Obviously a parallel universe one, but why would she know of the Takuya of that specific moment? In general the time travel/multiple dimensions/parallel universe concept for this VN was waaay too hard for me to grasp I gave up lol. I still don't know how/why a Reflector works, I just know that it does despite all the pseudoscientific jargon used to explain it. Also the whole 8000 year / 400 year cycle loop, and how Dela Grante came to be and end up in that cycle. Oof. My head hurts I'm done.

EPZMr68.jpg
"WHO COULD SHE BE?" are you effing serious, I hate how oblivious Takuya was. Sure YU-NO grew up from teen to adult in like a year since you last saw her but this was just pathetic.

YU-NO is voiced by the same VA who voices Hina Hikawa from Bang! Dream / Bandori franchise. Her fking voice was nagging at me for 90% of the final route where I was like, I FKING KNOW THAT VOICE, WHO IS IT?!??!

No commento on YU-NO's incestual lust for her papa. In general I was surprised by the amount of taboo relationships explored in this VN. And you have student-teacher, stepson-stepmother, father-daughter incest via TakuyaxYU-NO and TakuyaxKanna, high school girl sleeping around with many guys, grieving widow getting white knight rebounded, random one night stands, all in 1996. 1996 man!

In general Takuya was pretty abysmal during the true route. Him getting unreasonably angry and shouting at Celes early on and going off in the desert like a dumbass and then his constant insistence on "protecting" YU-NO by not letting her accompany him through the desert or later on vehemently denying her to do her priest duties for all the typical selfish "I DON'T WANT YOU TO DIE, BUT IT'S OKAY IF DIE DW YOU'LL BE FINE WITHOUT ME"

..Ryuuzouji died way too easily, super anticlimactic for a tens of thousands of years old consciousness multidimensional traveling entity.

XaugocF.jpg
Feels like 100 years ago? Nope sorry bruh, it was only like 2-3 hours ago for me. I think Muv Luv trilogy learned from this. Muv Luv Extra is the main game, then you have Muv Luv Unlimited to world build Dela Grante/Celes/YU-NO/alternate dimensions/parallel timelines concept, it ends with Celes dying, and THAT'S when you do Muv Luv Alternate and have Takuya cross the desert and begin his epic saga. Also fking utilize Mitsuki/Mio/Kanna, really surprised only Ayumi and Eriko made the cut for the final act.

TL;DR:

Spoiler

JhNYH8W.jpg

And that's that. Love reading VNs. Every time I finish one I get antsy because it's like, damn that was good, I wanna read another one like this, will the next VN i read even be as enjoyable? Then I pick a completely different genre and setting and then come to enjoy that and the cycle repeats. Question is... what shall the next VN be..? (and no, it's not gonna be AoKana, sorrz no pureblood high school SoL for me plx)

*Looks at the date* Oh, I know!

Spoiler

Zca8hcp.png

3 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

Overall enjoyable. My failure to appreciate the final route as much as I could've was more due to my tendency to come into final routes waaay too overhyped. I blame Ever17. Ever since that VN I've always expected true routes to be mind blowing braingasm experiences so it can be very easy for me to bamboozle myself and end up disappointed.

Ah, now I see. Before YU-NO (and after it ;) ) I played mostly charage of various kinds, so I went into it kind of blind, without specific expectations. Maybe that enabled me to enjoy it more, since it was the first of its kind for me.

Fully agree on your note about alternate happy endings. It would be really nice if they did it as you described.

Also, have to say that while I wasn't too fond of Kanna's remake sprite, she looks really good in that CG you posted. Generally, when I look at your screenshots, I start to warm up to this remake a bit. Maybe I'll really get it on winter or summer sale ;)

I don't know if it's the right topic to ask, but it's just a simple question for those who already played Totono: do you think this VN can be an as impactful/enjoyable experience for a girl as it is for a guy?

17 minutes ago, Eden said:

I don't know if it's the right topic to ask, but it's just a simple question for those who already played Totono: do you think this VN can be an as impactful/enjoyable experience for a girl as it is for a guy?

Spoiler

"can"? Yes. Is it likely? I do not know. This is the sort of thing that depends on the person, but I figure it is less likely than for a guy.

Totono is clearly targeted towards a certain (male) audience, which doesn't necessarily mean you can't enjoy it. If you like dark, somewhat exploitative VNs like Saya no Uta, I'd say go for it. If you're not that experienced with eroge or want to try Totono because it gets compared to DDLC a lot, I'd suggest you read other stuff first (like Saya no Uta, which is better anyway).

Finished some visual novels, so it's time for some short mini reviews.

38324.jpg

Spoiler

I played 9 -Nine- Episode 3 pretty much when it got released. I liked the previous two episodes and this one didn't disappoint either. It focuses on Haruka Kousaka, which was pretty much my favorite character so far, so I was really looking forward to play this one. I hoped it would focus more on her alternative self-confident personality, but it was more about having her true personlity grow up and free herself from needing her other self. Makes admittedly more sense story-wise, but part of me still wished they would be a sister pair since I liked her 'Empress' personality.

Nevertheless, this episode further expands the story and it's slowly shaping up to get something bigger. It's a really unique mixture of slice-of-life, chuuni, mystery and romance with a healthy dose of Stein's Gate and Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica. I must also admit that I respect the writers capability to tackle and mesh up all those genres with each other pretty well. The characters all have their individual quirks and their interactions with each other are highly entertaining. On the other hand, the characters can be almost shockingly twisted and ruthless when they turn (out) evil. Some characters that didn't leave a big impression in previous episodes also show a surprising depth when you get to know them better, like Renya's 'Betrayer' really hitting home several times. I really underestimated that dude.

I wasn't aware that the writer Kazuki Fumi was also the writer of Nanairo Reincarnation, which was was still a bit rough around the edges, but certainly showed clear signs of a talented writer in the making. No surprise that both Navel and Yuzusoft hired him for some of their recent titles.

Not much negative to say about it. The episode clearly focuses on quality over quantity so what's there is mostly good. The romance part at the end could have been better but it's not a biggy. It's also a bit dabbling in dangerous waters with its reality branch theories. I think Stein's Gate had a 'home branch' which was the measurement for success. But I didn't see something like that here, so why should the villain bothered if he looses on one branch but wins on a thousand others? A 1000 : 1 win doesn't sound too bad for me. But well, maybe episode 4 shed's some more light into that. At least the cliffhanger for it was already promising.

Overall rating: 7.5/10

Since the series is really shaping up to get something bigger, I'll rate the first episodes up to 7.5 as well.

38194.jpg

Spoiler

The first half of City of Broken Dreamers was recently released on Steam and since I've tried the first 4 chapters already earlier this year, and was quite impressed by them, I picked it up immediately. Overall, this is clearly the best 3D VN on Steam right now and IMHO a prime example how the genre should develop. Unlike its closest competitor Being a DIK, which was still mostly a porn gallery, this one really takes its plot serious. It's a real cyberpunk thriller with decent world building, an intriguing atmospheric soundtrack that gives you Bladerunner or Shadowrun vibes. It's also a theme that harmonates very well with the somewhat synthetic render look. In exchange you get really high production values. Almost everything is rendered or even animated, from main characters to side characters, backgrounds, etc. (We're talking 5300 renders and 274 animations)

The VN also has a clear Western style. No cheap Japananese anime tropes, no kawai loli's, no idiot friends. The most important male main character Henry is a real badass who resembles more Riddick alias Vin Diesel than anything you'd usually find in a Japanese VN. Half of the heroines are also real femme fatales that don't have a problem to wield a gun or to engage in combat. All of them have a clear background which is well interwoven with the world and story: A doctor, a spy, a mercenary, or just the daughter of your boss. The protagonist itself is a battle-tried mercenary. And no, it's not a teenage boy, it's an already divorced guy probably in his thirties.

The story around illegal augmented people is probably not that unique for that genre, but considering cyberpunk barely exists in VN's it's still rather unique. The closest thing among Japanese VN's is probably Tokyo Necro minus the zombis, though I didn't read it so it's just a guess. Although Baldr Sky is tagged as cyberpunk it didn't feel cyberpunk at all, so no. Kikokugai - The Cyber Slayer maybe, but I didn't read it yet and the central loli character makes me doubt it. Steel Witch Annerose would be probably the closest thing in style I read myself. Especially since City of Broken Dreamers still has a strong erotic touch to it. Even if you can avoid almost H-scenes, you will still see a lot of nude skin.

That said, the VN also has a rather unique fast paced writing style, which makes it often feel more like an interactive movie with subtitles than a real VN. And I'm pretty sure that will also scare a lot of people away who like and expect a more traditional prose style VN with manga art and school life setting.

Heroine ranking: Victoria > Katie > Sonja = Sasha > Gloria = Chandy > Ellen > (Venus) > Shanlon (super hot, but unfortunately a crazy bitch)

Overall rating. 8/10 (Could get even higher or lower when the second part gets released)

12705.jpg

Spoiler

I think I finished Kyonyuu Fantasy 2 already months ago and just forgot to post about it. Im many ways it felt like a remake of ther first one that makes one step forward, but also a step backward. The protagonist felt identical to the one of the first one. The start felt better, but the mid and end parts dragged on quite a bit. The heroines were more even, fortunately none of them as bad as Luceria or Roxanne of the first one. On the other hand, none them came close to Gladys and Elicia was worse than Isis. They also tried to make Zebia too much like Shamsiel, at least in the interactions with the protagonist. A mistake, the childish behavior didn't really fit to her overall dark elf nature.

The story was fast-paced and somewhat entertaining, but the overall B-movie style was still a turn-off and made me play several times with the uninstall button. It did tackle some rather sensible topics like racism (against demi-humans) surprisingly well. On the other hand, it still does a bad job in such trivial things as being a nukige.

Heroine ranking: Nadine > Zebia > Lorelia > Shahari > Elicia

Overall rating: 6.5/10

Regarding VN's I'm currently reading, I've just started with Flowers part 3, which I'm liking quite a bit so far. I'm also almost finished with Mako's route in Senren * Banka. Didn't read that much lately though, since her route is pretty dull even if I like the character. Furthermore, I'll probably drop Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception, since it does focus too much on clown characters like Dekoponpo or Maroro, the character cast got worse and worse with crap characters like Nosuri, Atuy, or the two royal sex slaves and it's just dreadful boring with literally no (serious) plot to speak of.

Edited by ChaosRaven

On 10/5/2020 at 11:11 PM, Silvz said:

is there any meat to the story? I've finished endings A, B and C and there's no plot whatsoever 😕

About Room No.9? Yeah! I mean, the plot itself is how the experiences affect their friendship. I would say the last endings are the best endings!
-----
Sooooo, I just finished Saya no Uta! Man, it was depressingly amazing!

Spoiler

My favorite ending would be the last ending, in which they kill Saya, Fuminori kills himself and Koji goes crazy. That one was the most bittersweet for me, but damn, it was so creepy. I was never once creeped out while reading this vn but when Fuminori's dead sprite showed up, I got so many fucking chills, uuuugh ;u;''

my next vn will probably have to wait as I am quite busy with school right now, but I'll probably read Magical Eyes - Red is for Anguish :yes:

EheheheheMjvACte.jpg

I wonder why Robotics;Notes scored relatively poorly compared to Chaos;Child and Steins;Gate (130 votes avg 7.36 vs 1806 votes avg 8.39 and lol 8132 votes avg 9.02 respectively)

I'd like to think it's just that most peeps who tried R;N were going off of the high from S;G and then got disappointed, or maybe it's the use of 3d sprites, which can look pretty jank:

67362.jpg

Worst case scenario it's cuz the plot actually is subpar, god I hope not. We shall see~

After I consider it for a while, I guess YU-NO remake graphics are quite refreshing and therefore the remake release are not so redundant. While I accept the new graphic, I also think that the old version graphic is still be able to hold its own even today (ie it's still nice to see). For the comparison, remake wise most of those are okay in that there's no much change, although if I may say I would say that I prefer the old design for both of Eriko without bang and Yuuki. Also I prefer the older school uniform instead of newer one. I guess that's all for what I can say in regard of YU-NO remake graphic wise. No much comment about the new voices either, other than Kugimiya Rie was casted as Shimazu Mio which is her usual role because Mio here is a tsundere (Kugimiya is usually play a tsundere female characters).

By the way I see the complain in regard of isekai when it's adapted into anime (Doesn't help that there're some isekai anime aired at the same season when YU-NO adaptation aired), although I would say that in wake of that it's still refreshing to see isekai in non-nukige VN even with the VN in question are at almost 25 years old. Also if you want to play YU-NO remake, please remember that it's 25 years old VN and should be treated it like that (Or borrowing a word from Hardcore Gamers article comparing it with Policenauts instead of Somnium) so that you won't find it disappointing because of some similar plot point in the newer VNs.

Edited by littleshogun

Playing Hamidashi Creative. I played wagamama high spec in the past and thought it was an average moege without a semblance of proper plot, so i was expecting a mindless moege from hamidashi right at the start. Unexpectedly, there was an actual plot driving it that was interesting for me, and thats something since i usually skip daily life scenes that are just plain cliche and not interesting. I wont say anything about the quality of the heroines since well, thats very subjective but damn I extremely adore Hiyori (the lil sis character) and her seiyuu I found extremely cute. She's just so adorable and the little flashbacks about them are nice.

Shio-senpai is interesting too since I like competent and reliable type of characters and seeing them dere is cute as hell. Also its the seiyuu's first character, and damn her voice is good and fits the competent and adult atmosphere of the character. Although I didn't like how she was introduced though so thats a negative.

Also prob why I liked this game is I rarely see student council president protagonists. I'm probably go just flip a coin whether I play Hiyori or Shio first since both of them are likeable for me.

Unexpectedly good game so far, although I'm only 5-10 hours in (idk I dont count), I hope the quality stays the same Its disappointing as hell to see that Ameri doesnt have a route though as she was clearly into the protag and personally was one of the most interesting characters in the game

The art is kinda good too compared to their other games where it just felt a bit too cartoon-ish?? idk how to describe it but it just felt off but hamidashi retains the same style but looks really better.

Edited by Larxe1

5 hours ago, Koioniaku said:

Just finished AIR.... man this is the first time i've loved an ending, and yet still i can't come to a conclusion about what the ending means

Spoiler

the main girl died

The couple from the past seems to get together in a reincarnation of sorts

The MC becomes a crow... that I cannot explain, it just doesn't make sense

Recently I don't have much time, but I'm still going slowly through Sakura Strasse. It turns out that I've been reading it like maybe just a few hours a week. It's strange. When I'm reading it I'm enjoying it - the girls are cute and comedy is funny. But at the same time I don't find it as engaging as other titles (and as I would expect). I guess that has to be because of protagonist. While he got much better than in the prologue (when I wrote my rant on him), I still cannot relate too much to him - and I don't mean in a self-insert way, but still perhaps it hinders my immersion. Even though the game uses first person narration, I feel more like watching events from a distance. 不思議だね :illyathink:

Edited by adamstan

Slowly slogging through Robotics;Notes, took me literally like a week just to do Phase 1 lol. I'm a huge slacker sorrz

Thoughts/First Impressions:

The 3D sprites + animations take some time to get used to. It's kind of like when you first red Steins;gate and it might've taken you some time to get used to the watercolory artstyle. Doesn't help that the N.Switch has some anti-aliasing issues compared to all the other versions (rip). But it eventually grows on you/you get used to it.

Spoiler

d5fMnYA.jpgDon't mind the horizontal bars/videotapey look of this screenshot, this is a result of free-viewing the world through the ingame phone app IRUO or whatever. But the jaggy lines/antialiasing issue that plague Akiho's sprite is indeed a flaw that only apparently only exists on the N.Switch version.

Also, huge oversight by the devs, only for this particular pose of Akiho where she is leaning forward, when you look downward: 

Spoiler

EDq69Rv.jpg

LOL

...I already miss YU-NO soundtracks. Stuff from the 1990s just had more identity and flavor. Everything in Robotics;Notes so far is forgetful generic elevator-tier sounding.  

Story takes a bit to take off, then again I'm barely starting Phase 2 so I'm probably speaking waaay too soon. I think it's the general overall premise/initial hook. Steins;Gate's premise was time travel. Intriguing. Chaos;Child was murder mystery supernatural. Interesting. Robotic;Notes? High school robot competitions. The main heroine Akiho is the genki-hardheaded-charge-towards-your-dreams-full-speed-ahead type but she just wants to do too much/has pretty unrealistic goals. Then we have the protagonist Kaito who doesn't help either with him being 100% disinterested in the Robotics Club (and being quite vocal about it too). He's more into his online pvp game KILL-BALLAD, where he ranks #5 in Japan. He sticks with Akiho though because they're childhood friends/the two need to watch over each other because of their Fast Forward and Slo-mo handicaps. On the plus side, the duo do have excellent dynamics and so far its a pleasure to see them interact with each other.

One of the great things about the Sci-ADV series is their continuity: R;N literally gives you a glimpse of 1.048596 in the opening, and you'll get a famous one liner about eyes pretty early on. Lovely callbacks, though I hope R;N can hold its own and not overly rely on the glory of its earlier siblings.

~~
Since it's ROBOTICS;notes-> Robotics-> technology, the devs got a bit more creative with the level of technological interactivity in the world you can have via Kaito's PhoneDroid/smartphone. Whereas in S;G you were limited to receiving and replying to texts only when the narrative demanded it, in R;N there is a barebones Twitter replica called Twipo that adds a hearty amount of flavor to the entirety of the cast/plot/setting via the characters twipping about their lives and ongoing events day by day, and Kaito can even reply to a handful of those twips. It's one of the things R;N does well and it makes the world feel alive:

Slight character reveal spoiler (though you learn their identity within a couple hours of meeting them so it's not too bad of a spoiler):

Spoiler

uK1BiFA.jpg

SoKieGP.jpg

I find myself checking Twipo often just to see characters' thoughts, it's a really nifty supplemental content idea.

Btw, Frau def is topping the first impression best girl charts, her online speech reminds me a bit of how I type on these forums sometimes lel. Fking millennials Gen-Z