What are you playing?

So I started playing Dreamers and I liked it for a while but now it's kinda boring me

I wish there were a lot less slice of life shit

Spoiler

Also I don't like how they keep trying to convince me that fucking my sister cousin is a natural thing to do

How many chapters is this supposed to be anyway? I'm on like chapter 6

2 hours ago, Ranzo said:
Spoiler

Also I don't like how they keep trying to convince me that fucking my sister cousin is a natural thing to do

Spoiler

Yeah, it felt pretty awkward how adamant Miyako was about Shinji and Hatsune hooking up.

2 hours ago, Ranzo said:

How many chapters is this supposed to be anyway? I'm on like chapter 6

There are

11-13

depending on which route you pick.

Edited by Seraphim88

I've been playing an indie otome EVN called Changeling and it's really really good. The art wouldn't be for everyone but the story and characters really makes up for it because it does have one of the best otome stories I've read. Not very romantic (but appropriate for their situation) although heavy on plot and characterization. It's a high school otome I actually like because of the dark urban fantasy story and how it also makes fun of common paranormal tropes. It's also probably the longest indie otome game I know of. Plus, I'm really looking forward to the dev's next game because it looks like it's going to be longer (9 routes!) and the art style and QoL looks to be dramatically improved.

Just finished the first chapter of Higurashi! I thought they'd start off slow since this is basically just the prologue for the series, but it turned out more intense than I expected it to be.
They did an excellent job of building atmosphere. Despite my high tolerance for horror, some of the scenes actually managed to creep me out a bit. First and foremost, the one where you find out

Spoiler

Rena was idling just outside Keiichi's room for an hour, while he was on the phone with Ooishi.

I expect things will only escalate from here.
Honestly, I would love to continue with the other chapters right away, but if I plough through them like that, I'd probably be done quite some time before the 07th mod for chapter 8 is released, and it would suck having to wait weeks for the conclusion.

A question: When should I read the console arcs? For example, according to this flowchart, it seems like Taraimawashi, Tsukiotoshi and Someutsushi take place between chapter 3 and 4 of the main series. Would it be preferable to actually read them before I read chapter 4 or should I put off reading all the console arcs until I'm done with the main series? (A couple of the console arcs haven't even been translated yet, apparently.)

Edited by Seraphim88

2 hours ago, Seraphim88 said:

Just finished the first chapter of Higurashi! I thought they'd start off slow since this is basically just the prologue for the series, but it turned out more intense than I expected it to be.
They did an excellent job of building atmosphere. Despite my high tolerance for horror, some of the scenes actually managed to creep me out a bit. First and foremost, the one where you find out

Hide contents

Rena was idling just outside Keiichi's room for an hour, while he was on the phone with Ooishi.

I expect things will only escalate from here.
Honestly, I would love to continue with the other chapters right away, but if I plough through them like that, I'd probably be done quite some time before the 07th mod for chapter 8 is released, and it would suck having to wait weeks for the conclusion.

A question: When should I read the console arcs? For example, according to this flowchart, it seems like Taraimawashi, Tsukiotoshi and Someutsushi take place between chapter 3 and 4 of the main series. Would it be preferable to actually read them before I read chapter 4 or should I put off reading all the console arcs until I'm done with the main series? (A couple of the console arcs haven't even been translated yet, apparently.)

They are not canon, but you can read them AFTER the series chapter they are related to.

2 minutes ago, Silvz said:

They are not canon, but you can read them AFTER the series chapter they are related to.

Right. About this. What does 'canon' mean here? Because I know there are chapters that are not canon in the sense that they don't fit with the setting and tone.
But are there chapters that would fit with the setting and tone but simply aren't canon because they represent and alternative scenario or were made after the original story concluded?

1 hour ago, Seraphim88 said:

I personally haven't read the console exclusive arcs, but it seems to be common knowledge that most of them are pretty bad and aren't really worth reading. And they aren't really written by the same author anyway. The only real exceptions are the arcs based on manga-original arcs, written by Ryukishi:  Onisarashi-hen  and  Yoigoshi-hen   . (Here are the links to MU pages, but don't click on them before you finish chapter 3, there are SPOILERS in the description: 1 2). Onisarashi was heavily rewritten and split into two parts for the console release: Someutsushi-hen (the question arc) and Kageboushi-hen (the answer arc). From what I understand, Yoigoshi was included in the game as is. I don't really follow the fan-translation, so I don't know if these are already translated or not.

I can't really talk about how they are in the game, but as for how my experience with the manga goes, Onisarashi is totally worth reading, while Yoigoshi is skippable. And I personally read them after I already finished the main game, and it was totally fine this way. Though I definitely wouldn't recommend reading them before chapter 6, for spoiler reasons. Someutsushi should be fine right after you finish chapter 3, since it was included with the first three chapters in the first part of the DS version.

10 minutes ago, Seraphim88 said:

If the console arcs aren't that important, I think I'll just focus on the main series for now. I'm planning to read Umineko, which I'm even more psyched about, as soon as I'm done with Higurashi, so I might as well delay any Higurashi side stories a bit in favor of that!

Umineko is my favorite VN, so I can't wait to hear about your impressions on it :D

Yeah, it's another one of those VNs I've been looking forward to for a really long time! I've heard it's preferable to play Higurashi first, so my Umineko playthrough has been delayed until now because of that.

By the way, what's this about "difficulty" that's mentioned when you start a chapter in Higurashi? The difficulty of chapter 1 was described as "extremely high" despite it being a purely kinetic novel, and I tried booting up chapter 2 just now and saw that the difficulty of that's supposedly "lower than Onikakushi, but extremely vicious". Is this something that will make sense eventually or is it some kind of inside joke I'm not quite getting?

9 minutes ago, Seraphim88 said:

Yeah, it's another one of those VNs I've been looking forward to for a really long time! I've heard it's preferable to play Higurashi first, so my Umineko playthrough has been delayed until now because of that.

By the way, what's this about "difficulty" that's mentioned when you start a chapter in Higurashi? The difficulty of chapter 1 was described as "extremely high" despite it being a purely kinetic novel, and I tried booting up chapter 2 just now and saw that the difficulty of that's supposedly "lower than Onikakushi, but extremely vicious". Is this something that will make sense eventually or is it some kind of inside joke I'm not quite getting?

Hmmm it will make sense to you if you read Higurashi as a mystery novel, with a whoddunit, motives, etc. In Onikakushi, it's pretty much impossible to understand what is really happening, but as you progress in the story, you can figure some things out and make sense with some things - thus it will become easier.

Edited by Silvz

Ah, they're referring to how hard it is to understand the mystery in each individual chapter? Seems like a kinda pointless thing to mention, to be honest! When I was about to start chapter 1 and saw that notice, I figured the difficulty thing meant there might be a lot of bad endings and/or some sort of puzzles, so I was kinda surprised to find out there were none of that.

The whole "This is a game" thing that Higurashi attempted was one of the few things I liked about the novel.  I think the intent behind that sentiment wasn't conveyed well, but the actual execution of it was passable.

20 minutes ago, Seraphim88 said:

Ah, they're referring to how hard it is to understand the mystery in each individual chapter? Seems like a kinda pointless thing to mention, to be honest! When I was about to start chapter 1 and saw that notice, I figured the difficulty thing meant there might be a lot of bad endings and/or some sort of puzzles, so I was kinda surprised to find out there were none of that.

yeah, that's it! But trust me, it is as hard as it says it is.

On Totono

On 5/7/2020 at 7:33 PM, Seraphim88 said:
  Hide contents

- I chose Miyuki over Aoi in the end, and it was mostly because of the whole NTR thing.

Spoiler

Well, I also chose Miyuki, partially for the same reason. I just thought: I understand that the MC forgave Aoi simply because he is the protagonist and she is the heroine, and this is how eroge work, but why do I have to do the same? As for Miyuki, I actually liked it a lot more from the very beginning, and I kind of get what brought her to do what she did, so the choice was pretty easy for me.

To be honest, I still haven't thought it through, but I feel like NTR in this VN is completely pointless. It feels like it's just there for shock value rather than anything else. And it's a shame, this is basically the only thing about this VN that I didn't like.

Oh, and the h-scene with the player was probably the cringiest h-scene in all eroge I've read so far. :wahaha: Not that's it's really a bad thing or something. But I kind of want to see the photo of my face when I was reading this scene, lol.

14 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:
Spoiler

I understand that the MC forgave Aoi simply because he is the protagonist and she is the heroine, and this is how eroge work, but why do I have to do the same?

Spoiler

This is honestly one of the biggest issues of the game if you ask me.
Later on in the story, the player is held accountable for forcing Shinichi's hand, but in reality, he's the one who forgave Aoi, not me. The only thing I got to choose was between throwing her out of the house right away or letting her explain her actions, and doing the latter should have no bearing on the matter of forgiving or not forgiving her. Miyuki says that she thought her dream of being together with Shinichi would come true, until he walked into the room to join Haru and Aoi, meaning she was ready to forgive him up to that point.
I never chose to forgive Aoi or agreed to any of the things that took place in that room, but the game moved on as if I did and based the entire escalation of the story and the fourth wall interaction on a couple of
vague choices that I couldn't possibly imagine the consequences of. It would have been another matter entirely if you actively had to choose between either forgiving or not forgiving Aoi, but there's just no way to know what's going to happen based on the choices you're actually presented with.

14 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:
Spoiler

I kind of want to see the photo of my face when I was reading this scene, lol.

This illustrates the situation for myself:
o97iiG.png

They also pretty much completely dismissed the notion that girls might want to read this VN.

9 minutes ago, Seraphim88 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Later on in the story, the player is held accountable for forcing Shinichi's hand, but in reality, he's the one who forgave Aoi, not me. The only thing I got to choose was between throwing her out of the house right away or letting her explain her actions, and doing the latter should have no bearing on the matter of forgiving or not forgiving her. Miyuki says that she thought her dream of being together with Shinichi would come true, until he walked into the room to join Haru and Aoi, meaning she was ready to forgive him up to that point.
I never chose to forgive Aoi or agreed to any of the things that took place in that room, but the game moved on as if I did and based the entire escalation of the story and the fourth wall interaction on a couple of
vague choices that I couldn't possibly imagine the consequences of. It would have been another matter entirely if you actively had to choose between either forgiving or not forgiving Aoi, but there's just no way to know what's going to happen based on the choices you're actually presented with.

This illustrates the situation for myself:
o97iiG.png

They also pretty much completely dismissed the notion that girls might want to read this VN.

Sometimes I wonder about how the writers felt when writing that. I never understood that to be honest with you.

Or guys who just don't care about sexual content. Which kind of makes sense, since it's an eroge and is aimed at the male audience, but it's also one of the main reasons why it'll never become as popular in the West as a certain other VN everyone compares it to.

Hide contents

Spoiler

I don't really remember the moment where Miyuki blamed the player (and not Shinichi, since they are different in her eyes) for forgiving Aoi for ntr. I personally thought that she was blaming the player for trying to get into Aoi's route to begin with. Which kind of makes sense, since there are quite a lot of very specific choices that are required for entering her route, and the meaning of some of these choices, like choosing to stay with Aoi instead of returning to the meeting with Miyuki, are pretty clear. And choosing incorrectly in all of these choices leads to a slightly different version of Miyuki's route, I tried most of them to see if anything interesting would happen. But if, like you said, there was a scene where Miyuki was blaming the player and not Shinichi for forgiving Aoi, then this doesn't really make any sense.

Though, after I thought about it, I also don't really like that they basically turned the player into a character inside the story at the very end of the game. Some of the things they put into these single-option choices were pretty far from what I thought during that exact moment. I'd say, that hurts the immersion quite a bit. I think, it would be a lot better if they at least gave the player the way to choose between different choices, which would eventually lead to the same result.

Edited by Dreamysyu