What are you playing?

52 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

Are you sure it's really the SSD itself?

Well, 99.99% sure. I've tried various types of recovery software, hooking it up to different slots on the PSU/mobo, using different cables as well as connecting it to a different PC, and the result is always the same. The SSD is recognized at first (I can see it in disk management, along with the drive letter and title) but as soon as I try to access it, there's a timeout and then the computer can't recognize the drive anymore until I reboot. I've found many sources claiming this is common behavior when an SSD dies. Using an SSD isn't advantageous in all regards, apparently.

3 hours ago, Seraphim88 said:

Well, 99.99% sure. I've tried various types of recovery software, hooking it up to different slots on the PSU/mobo, using different cables as well as connecting it to a different PC, and the result is always the same. The SSD is recognized at first (I can see it in disk management, along with the drive letter and title) but as soon as I try to access it, there's a timeout and then the computer can't recognize the drive anymore until I reboot. I've found many sources claiming this is common behavior when an SSD dies. Using an SSD isn't advantageous in all regards, apparently.

That sounds bad indeed. I've still an old HDD for my data and was thinking about replacing it with an SSD. But I'm not sure anymore if the SSD's can die completely from one moment to the other. Though I do have monthly backups, so the risk wouldn't be as big.

Still, sorry for your data loss. I'd be furious if I'd loose my art collection of fantasy, scifi and anime images. :(

35 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

That sounds bad indeed. I've still an old HDD for my data and was thinking about replacing it with an SSD. But I'm not sure anymore if the SSD's can die completely from one moment to the other. Though I do have monthly backups, so the risk wouldn't be as big.

An SSD should be fine as long as you have backups, but a lot can happen in a month so maybe you should consider doing it more frequently. I certainly learned my lessons this time, so in addition to the new drive I bought yesterday, I also signed up for a Backblaze account; something I've been contemplating for quite some time. $60 a year for unlimited data backup seems like a relatively cheap insurance in case something like this were to happen again at some point.

13 hours ago, Ryleona said:

Playing Higurashi right now, chilling in chapter 2. Very spooky.

8 hours ago, Zidan209 said:

What a coincidence! I am currently reading through Watanagashi as well.

So far, the first episode was creepier, though

Honestly, I think this was the most horrifying chapter...

Spoiler

the third one is the most paranoia-inducing for me tho, I love it

I really need to start reading the fifth chapters while I still remember the other chapters haha Maybe I'll read them again, who knows?

6 hours ago, Leonor said:

I really need to start reading the fifth chapters while I still remember the other chapters haha

You really should. Chapters 5 to 7 are, imo, the best in the game, but they only work due to buildup of the first 4 chapters. The answer arcs only work if you still remember what questions are being answered.

Incidentally, chapter 8 is currently in beta, so it's probably going to be released relatively soon. I hope they localize Rei too. From what I remember, their initial plans included Rei and Hou, but it was so, so long ago.

I find it a bit odd that Ruriko doesn't have a route in Princess Evangile. I get that they apparently wanted to go with just four routes here and that she most likely has one in W Happiness, but it feels strange how she's constantly being pushed aside whenever there's a choice to make, although she's one of the girls with the most screen time and she's obviously in love with Masaya. (The same goes for Konomi, but not to the same extent.)

50 minutes ago, Seraphim88 said:

I find it a bit odd that Ruriko doesn't have a route in Princess Evangile. I get that they apparently wanted to go with just four routes here and that she most likely has one in W Happiness, but it feels strange how she's constantly being pushed aside whenever there's a choice to make, although she's one of the girls with the most screen time and she's obviously in love with Masaya. (The same goes for Konomi, but not to the same extent.)

Both girls have routes in W Happiness - it has five routes: Ruriko, Konomi, Tamie, Marika and Mitsuki.

1 hour ago, adamstan said:

Both girls have routes in W Happiness - it has five routes: Ruriko, Konomi, Tamie, Marika and Mitsuki.

As I expected then! I feel like it would have made more sense to have the Ruriko route in the original, though. She's basically a main character but isn't treated as such, being present in more scenes than some of the actual heroines but automatically excluded from all romantic developments despite participating in every event. (For example, she was one of the five girls who marked her spot on Masaya's map during the stargazing event, but the only one you couldn't pick.)
Doesn't matter much in the end, but I feel like they could have handled this better.

Aye, that's probably the case. Judging by everything that happens in the main game, it feels like they were originally intending to include her route there but then decided to use her as incentive to get people to buy the fandisc instead. I imagine there are quite a few people who like her character and would be willing to buy W Happiness just to access her route.

So I ended up binging through the 2nd half of Higurashi Watanagashi today.

The words that best describe my impressions are probably "I wasn't disappointed".

Spoiler

I've learnt not to let down my guard from reading Umineko, so when things started becoming a little too simple and straightforward and later the ending was turning to a more positive direction, I was slightly dubious. But the twists at the very end didn't fail to make me smile at how everything suddenly turned into an even bigger puzzle

On 28/03/2020 at 12:56 PM, Dreamysyu said:

The answer arcs only work if you still remember what questions are being answered.

Yes x_x I'm considering re-reading everything again before going to chapter 5 haha It won't have the same impact as before but I'll be more up to date with everything :)

Finished the first route of Hashihime of the Old Book Town. I'll probably wait a while before going for the other routes because i keep hearing they aren't as good and are better seen as extras. Overall i thought everything about it was amazing, from the art to the story, hell even the H-Scene was better written than what i usually see in VNs. Tamamori might be my favorite VN protagonist now, i never thought i would see a character that could take Okabe Rintarou's comedy and Kurosu Taichi's unpredictability and combine them so flawlessly.

2 hours ago, onorub said:

Finished the first route of Hashihime of the Old Book Town. I'll probably wait a while before going for the other routes because i keep hearing they aren't as good and are better seen as extras. Overall i thought everything about it was amazing, from the art to the story, hell even the H-Scene was better written than what i usually see in VNs. Tamamori might be my favorite VN protagonist now, i never thought i would see a character that could take Okabe Rintarou's comedy and Kurosu Taichi's unpredictability and combine them so flawlessly.

Right? Tamamori is great, his conflicts are all so very human and relatable, he really carries the story as the main character well. And as the Kawase shill I am, I feel obliged to tell you his route is definitely worth more than just an extra (but yeah, it is weaker than Minakami's route, I have to admit) so hope you find it worth your time when you get around to it~ Unfortunately, the other three are just that, extras, yeah.

As for myself, I'm slowly going through 428 and man, what a fun ride! The multiple protagonists thing and the very intertwined plot lines sounded confusing at first but it's actually pretty funny and rewarding to navigate on your own. The wackier the better, so I just can't not like Tama's and Minorikawa's antics and how much "destructive" for the others simple shit they pull can be (specially Minorikawa, guy can be really chaotic).

Edited by MaggieROBOT

21 hours ago, onorub said:

I plan on reading Hashihime soon, but I'd love to know if you enjoy the other routes first.

Just started reading OshiRabu: Waifus over Husbandos, by Sukera Somero. The art is great, and the voice acting is perfect for the characters, but I'm finding the story a little dull, even for a 3-hour-long VN. I'm going to finish it just because it's short and the reviews on steam are extremely positive, something that I've never seen before in a VN (and it doesn't seem they are troll reviews either). But I was expecting something way better due to Somero being a sister company of those who created Amrilato.

2 hours ago, Mago Ivo said:

2 : Absolutely awful ending. I'm very dissapointed.

Oh boy... I'm finishing the novel next week and I'm so not ready for the ending. I did like the normal endings but for the theories me and my book club friends did for all those weeks of reading, the resolution is quite... disappointing, I guess. Maybe I just had too high expectations for it since one of my book club mates was getting me hyped for this one.

3 hours ago, Mago Ivo said:

I just finished Kara no Shoujo and I can say two things about it.

1 : Great, almost amazing, VN

2 : Absolutely awful ending. I'm very dissapointed.

Spoiler

I know right. A damn detective story about puzzling things together and making the right decisions, then the damn true ending has protag making weird priorities. I was face palming when he was going somewhere to research instead of looking for touko after she was kidnapped. As we know the other choice has him finding her alive, yet not that well. At least she's alive, so he brought it on himself. Terrible true ending

Edited by Stormwolf

9 hours ago, Leonor said:

Oh boy... I'm finishing the novel next week and I'm so not ready for the ending. I did like the normal endings but for the theories me and my book club friends did for all those weeks of reading, the resolution is quite... disappointing, I guess. Maybe I just had too high expectations for it since one of my book club mates was getting me hyped for this one.

I thought the ending was totally fine. If you look at KnS as a horror story first and foremost and not as a much as a murder mystery the true ending works pretty well imo.

1 hour ago, alpacaman said:

I thought the ending was totally fine. If you look at KnS as a horror story first and foremost and not as a much as a murder mystery the true ending works pretty well imo.

I mean, I guess...? But I can't really see KnS as horror when it focuses so much on the mystery aspects. I guess it doesn't give me the feels that other horror vns give, idk

Advanced issues found

11 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Advanced issues found

Spoiler

Hide contents

I know right. A damn detective story about puzzling things together and making the right decisions, then the damn true ending has protag making weird priorities. I was face palming when he was going somewhere to research instead of looking for touko after she was kidnapped. As we know the other choice has him finding her alive, yet not that well. At least she's alive, so he brought it on himself. Terrible true ending

Spoiler

I haven't played the true ending yet but one of my buddies was suspecting of Shugo because he was investigating an awful lot near the school and yeah, now we know the reason why but it would be such a despair-inducing plot twist... </3 I guess the imagination was running wild, but aside from the fact that Shugo isn't that mentally unstable, there were some things that made me suspect him at some point hahaha

Edited by Leonor

Reveal hidden contents

I haven't played the true ending yet but one of my buddies was suspecting of Shugo because he was investigating an awful lot near the school and yeah, now we know the reason why but it would be such a despair-inducing plot twist... </3 I guess the imagination was running wild, but aside from the fact that Shugo isn't that mentally unstable, there were some things that made me suspect him at some point hahaha