What are you playing?

6 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:
  Hide contents

Oh, wow, I actually had exactly the same hypothesis. Actually, I felt like some evidence was very clear, so I was actually pretty surprised that it wasn't the case in the end. Well, who knows, maybe that was actually intended, and the true ending is a lie. :makina:

Well, unfortunately, it was the opposite for me. I was very hyped about this VN before it was released and bought it on the same day as it was released, but, overall, I felt a bit underwhelmed about the experience. I still liked it in the end, and, I think, the first half of the common route was really cool with how it introduced the girls and their internal worlds through their dreams. After that the plot started feeling kind of random, and there a lot of little things that really annoyed me and made my experience worse, and while it got a bit better in some of the character routes, it never really got back to the quality of the first few chapters.

Actually, for some reason this VN has some very polarizing opinions about it.

Hide contents

Actually, I think somebody (perhaps, @Kiriririri?) mentioned that it does not directly continue from the true ending. Apparently, it basically makes the ending non-canon and continues from the point a bit earlier in the story.

You find that flaw in sadly all too much japanese entertainment. Just think about it when you start something new. They're kings of setting up an interesting premise with a good plot and characters, but... it fizzles out as it goes as it seems many are not able to keep that initial good premise going and it starts becoming increasingly tropy and generic (assuming authors struggle with ideas or publisher sabotage). 

I've recently finished Kyonyuu Fantasy and its Gaiden fan disc (aka Funbag and Sideboob). Those were some real oddballs. Originally I tried the first one in Japanese years ago, but didn't like it and dropped it. When it got translated I gave it a new chance and read a bit occasionally. Still wasn't really convinced by the routes and was close to drop it again. Then I progressed a bit further and noticed that the real meat of the story is actually hidden in the harem route. That was rather unexpected since in most eroges (and not only nukiges) the harem routes are crap. I then continued right afterwards with Gaiden and finished that almost in one go. Having played both now I think I have a better picture of the series to accurately comment about it.

The Kyonyuu Fantasy series is pretty much a fantasy parody around a very 'potent' looser protagonist who goes from zero to hero. While this isn't an unusual setting, there's an unusual heavy focus on story and character development. The fantasy world is surprisingly rich even for non-nukige standards and represents a medieval Europe setting with fantasy elements. There are several factions, with each having their own representative key characters and soldiers, and all of them drawn and voiced. This also includes an unusual high amount of male characters, with several of them even playing key roles in the story. And not just as villains, the world is surprisingly grey here. Many characters have their own beliefs, strengths and weaknesses and some might even start out as enemies and then turn into friends later on.
There are frequently multiple interwoven intrigues going on. The similarities to medieval Europe are also striking, there's 'Fronce' which is clearly France, Spain is also mentioned as Iberia (?!) I think and even the Vatican plays an important role. Edellant itself seems to be a splinter state of the Holy Roman Empire, although the HRE probably doesn't exist as such in the game.

That said, while the series definitely has some commendable merits, it also has its fair share of weaknesses. First and foremost, the titles have a strong B-movie feeling that can be a real turn-off. All the characters are voiced, but certainly not by the best voice actors the scene has to offer. All characters have sprites, but they've usually just one pose and some look akward or even painfullly bad. The music isn't bad but some tracks are heavily overused and get very repetitive and annoying after a while.
The whole parody theme is also a bit of a double-edged sword. While it might make it easier to overlook some weaknesses, some characters and plot resolutions are also too silly and cheap and do more harm than good to the overall experience. Some characters also change too drastically during the story. The heroines in particular can go from literal hate and scorn towards the protagonist to almost worshipping him, appearing as if they would have been brainwashed.

This being tagged as a nukige is also a bit ironic, because it's arguably its weakest point. The whole boob-fetish of the VN is more often than not just akward or even gross instead of arousing. The art isn't the best and certainly one of the main reasons I've never seen those titles amongst the top sellers on Getchu. The backgrounds are decent, but the character art is very hit and miss. Luceria is probably one of the most ugly heroines I've ever seen in a VN while Gladys looks almost two art generations more refined. While the later titles do show some slight improvements in the art department, I think Kyonyuu Fantasy 3 (Athena) and Gaiden 2 After (Irina) are the first ones where they appear more significant. H-scenes also often appear randomly thrown in instead of being developped, especially harem scenes.

Heroine ranking: Gladys > Aphrodia = Emeralia > Isis >= Shamsiel > Nellis >> Roxanne >>> Luceria

Overall rating: 6.5/10 (KF) and 7/10 (Gaiden)

In general, I'm a bit irritated why Waffle insists to recreate pretty much the same title over and over again. They've good plot ideas and a very efficient usage of art - why aren't they striving for more? I'm sure that if they'd go for something more serious, they could reach a bigger audience.

Edited by ChaosRaven

I finished Funbag fantasy. It is hilarious as heck. This is the first VN that I read without any break. I downloaded it for the b00bs but the story was hella awesome. But I agree, I didn't how they started respecting him suddenly.  I like how the mc is actually kind to everyone and not just girls. I am reading Euphoria right now, though I had few spoilers.

Edited by Hanate

I guess it's a form of risk management. I'd draw parallels to the Imouto Paradise series or any longer running Lillith series. Nuki can get away with making the same game with minimal risk, using the same engine, layouts and staff. It's efficient and if the first game was a commercial success, the likelyhood of more games bringing in a stable income is better than risking your assets on something new/daring. Especially when you are expected to go in a specific, fetishy direction you don't want to lose your audience.

The Iberian peninsula is pretty much Spain and Portugal these days. Since Edel means regal in german I always took Edellant to be an euphemistic portrayal of germany or a germanic group of nations, with lant as a missspelling of Land. (Country in german)

As for my last games, I played Demonic Nation Florehades, it's more of a dungeon-crawling puzzle RPG-maker game, but so enjoyable that I have to mention it anyway. It's the sequel to Demon Cave Lulu Farea, where the protagonist is Klurs, a misguided human who tries to get into intimate relationships with monsters, after he failed to do so with human girls. He taught himself fighting moves that will only incapacitate others, without leaving lasting effects otherwise and he tries to make the girls he encounters into his girlfriends/wives. After he defeats a girl he will "rape" her, the quotation marks mean that he isn't violent about it, or strikes somewhat shady deals with the girls before the battle, making it either borderline consensual or comedic in nature. I would poke fun at this, but the game is very self aware and does that enough on its own.

The games system let's you freely traverse deeper and deeper into the dungeon with much freedom on how you tackle the puzzle element. You basically have attack and defense stats and every enemy has those as well and you deal excess attack to the enemy HP and they deal excess attack to your HP, making the whole process very predictable. You have to traverse the dungeons tackling enemys you are able to, getting stronger and engage the new enemies that you become able to defeat. I found that to be a very addicting, rewarding gameplay loop and super enjoyable if you like puzzle games, that's why I'm highlighting this game to this extent. The monster girls are very likeable, but the game is even enjoyable if you skip the H-scenes. I'd recommend starting with the first game, since it left you on a cliffhanger that is now finally resolved. Had a great time with this one 8/10

I took a break from Yumina the Ethereal, it's an enjoyable game so far, (I'm in chapter 4) but the dungeon-crawling segments are extremely tedious and my game completion OCD stops me from skimming them... I really like the battle system on the whole, but I don't think it's meant for longer grinds, since having skills that are largely dependent on each other and a steady fluctuation of skills you can and can't use, means every turn has to be thought through. Even when you grind through low-level enemies you can't just spam an attack, as you would in most other turn-based games and that really wears you down over hundreds of battles in the training segments.

So I went back to VN's. I read the first two episodes of 9 - Nine and it was a good experience overall. The dialogue has a pretty good flow and the characters have unique likeable traits. The first episode ends a bit weakly, not having much of a climax and just ending arbitrarily. The heroine is a pretty typical genuine good girl, they try to spice it up by off-setting her rich girl archetype with being frugal, good combination overall.

The second one has a better arc structure, in terms of impact, but some of it just feels like going through the motions of getting back up to speed. The sibling relationship is surprisingly well done in terms of build-up, chemistry and reluctance/reasoning for and against it.

The episodes are short, making them easily digestable, but it does feel like I only got a part of a complete visual novel, where everything is part of a multiple route mystery, so I left this story unfulfilled. That could be argued to be a good thing, since it means I wanted more of it, but it's a bit cheap nonetheless. I don't feel like rating it is appropriate yet, I want the complete picture before I do so.

With that done I felt up to read another Palette VN, hopefully getting a complete experience this time and started Koi ga Saku Koro Sakura Doki. This one felt like they really didn't know what to do with some of the characters, or even the general direction of the plot. I liked the protagonist, he was sensible and had an altruistic nature. Sadly that also leads to less potential for meaningful conflict.

Spoiler

"A boy who has no interest in love" is one of the major points this starts out on. Seems like there would be some deeper issues with that, leading to a clear-cut attitude from the protagonist. Well... it pretty much boils down to Boy: "I'm not really interested in love" Girl: "Why don't you try it anyway?" Boy: "OK"

He does have his issues with dead parents and a near death experience, but they mostly define his personality and his attitude towards love was an afterthought at best.

So on that front we have a pretty lazy attitude towards story progression and theming. Then what about the "Girl who can not fall in love" (Forgive me if I'm using this translation wrong, but the other translation "Girl who has not done love" is in and of itself stupid, since it applies to every charage heroine ever and is thus no theme at all)

So we have pretty typical heroines, the childhood friend, the sister, the classmate, the senpai and the bonus route is the soul reaper that is definitely as old as the protagonist. All of them have a balanced amount of positive traits and endearing quirks, but not all of those are really utilized to bring them and their respective routes to life.

The childhood friend has androphobia, but a special kind where only touching males offsets her and otherwise she is completely fine in their presence. It has its canon reasons, but they really stretch my suspension of disbelief pretty far and the climax in this story is very weak for a number of reasons, including the lead-up to it. The theme isn't completely off, but it's consistency is also undermined for obligatory h-scenes, where the heroines condition weakens during excitement.

The sister is handled well. A love that should not be allowed is within the theme and characters, for the most part, act within the scope of their personalities, as they have been portrayed. So I thought this one was okay to good.

The classmate... oh boy, they really didn't know what to do with this one, so they were randomly put in different situations until the end, a end in which they broke up and got back together for pretty much no reason, as far as they were concerned. All in all this one was just boring.

The senpai is half soul reaper, but the VN doesn't give much background on that or soul reapers as a whole. Pretty much everything supernatural in this VN are just plot devices to string along events. Nevertheless it was a good route were the theming fits, with an immortal being falling in love. She also shares her body, (The human half, with the soul reaper half) which adds some extra complexity to the situation and those issues were handled well in my opinion. Both personalities have their points and issues and it reaches a satisfying conclusion.

The soul reaper girl doesn't touch upon immortality again, it was allready one of the major points in the senpai route and tackling a different angle was a good choice. Instead it's about love in general and soul reapers. Are soul reapers allowed to love? Can they reach a satisfying form of existence, being dependent on the deaths of others? It tries to get a bit philosophical but doesn't stick the landing. The theme and build-up were pretty good and by this point I felt attached enough to understand the characters perspectives, but the random happy ending pretty much undermines what it was about in the first place. If you don't want a bittersweet ending in your charage you shouldn't structure the route to make it the best conclusion.... 

This VN was a lot longer than necessary, they ran out of meaningful things to say, which resulted in too many boring stretches during the read. 6/10

Guess I'm gonna read Kyonyuu Fantasy 2 now, for some unapologetic dumb fun. Also have Newton and the Apple Tree installed, incase the Nuki overwhelms me. :lol:

1 hour ago, Ruberick said:

Since Edel means regal in german I always took Edellant to be an euphemistic portrayal of germany or a germanic group of nations, with lant as a missspelling of Land. (Country in german)

Ah yes, the HRE was pretty much Germany in medieval Europe - the full name was Holy Roman Empire of the German nation. But Gaiden has a map and Edellant is just a small part of it.

1 hour ago, Ruberick said:

Koi ga Saku Koro Sakura Doki

I actually just got started on this one. Haven't made much of an impression on me yet, other than that one of the heroines has a personality trait I'm not a big fan of; namely an irrational fear of physical contact with the opposite sex. I assume there's some reason behind it that I will learn about later on, but for now, it's mostly annoying how she instantly breaks down in tears at the slightest touch.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the fact that the protagonist's sister (full, not half) is apparently a heroine. Incest isn't really my cup of tea, so I dunno how much enjoyment I'll get out of that route. If the developer really felt the need to go down the road of love within the family, I would have preferred if the stepmom had a route rather than the sister.

Edited by Seraphim88

1 hour ago, Seraphim88 said:

I actually just got started on this one. Haven't made much of an impression on me yet, other than that one of the heroines has a personality trait I'm not a big fan of; namely an irrational fear of physical contact with the opposite sex. I assume there's some reason behind it that I will learn about later on, but for now, it's mostly annoying how she instantly breaks down in tears at the slightest touch.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the fact that the protagonist's sister (full, not half) is apparently a heroine. Incest isn't really my cup of tea, so I dunno how much enjoyment I'll get out of that route. If the developer really felt the need to go down the road of love within the family, I would have preferred if the stepmom had a route rather than the sister.

Yeah, my spoiler gets into some details about the gripes I had with the androphobia, but you don't want to read that yet. :lol:

I've stopped minding incest stuff in japanese media a long time ago. Many charage also do a poor job of it, but I can't stop myself from going through every route anyway. I'd hesitate to call the sister route in this game a good portrayal of this relationship trope, but I'll at least call it one of the better portrayals within VNs. At this point I prefer it if they go balls to the wall not giving a damn about it, as in Imouto Paradise, so you can enjoy some cute girls without thinking too deeply into it. ^_^

I think the stepmom would have been better as well, with the teacher/student angle on top it would have also had a lot of angles for conflict. Oh, well.

Edited by Ruberick

Slightly bored by Lamunation, in the meantime I read something totally different - one of the (too) many 3D EVN eroges  - Depraved Awakening by Philly Games.

It was not bad. It somehow reminds me of those 90's VN-adventure hybrids like Three Sisters' Story, Runaway City, DESIRE or even YU-NO - there is some plot there, some mystery etc (in this case, it begins as murder mystery), but everything is very ero-heavy at the same time.

This game originally has been an episodic release on Patreon, and it shows - the art quality evolves throughout the game, as the creator gradually honed his skills. Just compare those two shots of one of the heroines - the first one is from the prologue, while the second one from one of the final chapters:

106397.jpgdepraved-carli.jpg

It's the same with (animated) h-scenes. The first ones are just a few frames, while the later ones are much smoother.

It wasn't great, but quite enjoyable, and the art in the final chapters looks really good - but, on the other hand, the beginnings are rather bad. It's good that he improved though ;) I think it deserves score of 7/10.

There's also the second game from this creator - City of Broken Dreamers and while it's still unfinished (it's currently at version 0.5, meaning five chapters), it looks really promising, with it's sci-fi-noir ;) setting (reminds me of the Tex Murphy adventure games - it's like eroge version of Under A Killing Moon), great art and animations, much better story so far, and really good synthwave soundtrack. I'm looking forward to the full version - it has the potential for being an 8.

Edited by adamstan

Have you read Acting Lessons? If you're not averse to VNs in 3D, I highly recommend it. I stumbled over it by chance during my Christmas vacation and it turned out to be one of my best VN experiences of the year, just out of the blue like that. It's really well written, with great humor and one of the most awesome best friend characters I've ever seen. It can get quite dark and emotional at times though, so you might want to make sure you're in the right state of mind before you start reading.

46 minutes ago, Seraphim88 said:

Have you read Acting Lessons? If you're not averse to VNs in 3D, I highly recommend it.

I'm reading it right now, and really liking it so far. (I'm at 3rd chapter)

It's quite refreshing when an EVN doesn't try to pretend to be JVN, but does its own thing.

Edited by adamstan

2 hours ago, Seraphim88 said:

Have you read Acting Lessons? If you're not averse to VNs in 3D, I highly recommend it. I stumbled over it by chance during my Christmas vacation and it turned out to be one of my best VN experiences of the year, just out of the blue like that. It's really well written, with great humor and one of the most awesome best friend characters I've ever seen. It can get quite dark and emotional at times though, so you might want to make sure you're in the right state of mind before you start reading.

Coincidentally, I stumbled over this title yesterday when browsing Steam titles. I was quite surprised by the raving reviews, but wasn't entirely sure what to make out of it. Those types of 3D titles didn't really go beyond strip-club simulator so far, but judging by the comments in the reviews, there seems to be more than meets the eye. It did sound like a slice-of-life drama between young adults. I must admit that it made me a bit curious. Is there anything comparable among the more popular J-VNs?

Edited by ChaosRaven

Just now, ChaosRaven said:

I was quite surprised by the raving reviews, but wasn't entirely sure what to make out of it. Those types of 3D titles didn't really go beyond strip-club simulator so far, but judging by the comments in the reviews, there seems to be more than meets the eye.

That was pretty much my exact reaction when I found it. At first, I thought the high rating might be because of the joke/meme reviews that commonly plague Steam, but I decided to give it a go anyways since it was pretty cheap. Long story short, I think it deserves the praise it has received. At its core, it's basically just a slice of life drama (like you said), but it's presented in such a brilliant and impactful way that I played through the entire VN, all routes included, in a single sitting (totaling maybe 10 hours), simply because I couldn't manage to put it down.
I honestly can't think of any Japanese VNs to compare it to off the top of my head, because this felt much more real to me than those usually do; probably in part due to the fact that some of stuff is based on the developer's personal experiences, and coincides with my own on several occasions.

3 hours ago, Seraphim88 said:

Have you read Acting Lessons? If you're not averse to VNs in 3D, I highly recommend it.

Looking at the screenshots on vndb I have to ask, is there a way to turn on a box for the text?  The lack of that option has been slowly eating away at my sanity as I go through the Muv Luv trilogy and there's no way I can tackle another VN that does that in the near future.

2 hours ago, Seraphim88 said:

That was pretty much my exact reaction when I found it. At first, I thought the high rating might be because of the joke/meme reviews that commonly plague Steam, but I decided to give it a go anyways since it was pretty cheap. Long story short, I think it deserves the praise it has received. At its core, it's basically just a slice of life drama (like you said), but it's presented in such a brilliant and impactful way that I played through the entire VN, all routes included, in a single sitting (totaling maybe 10 hours), simply because I couldn't manage to put it down.
I honestly can't think of any Japanese VNs to compare it to off the top of my head, because this felt much more real to me than those usually do; probably in part due to the fact that some of stuff is based on the developer's personal experiences, and coincides with my own on several occasions.

I see. I think I'll give it a try - it's pretty cheap anyway and apparently not too long either. It'll be interesting to see how much the 3D-EVN scene has evolved in the meantime. :rolleyes:

As for Acting Lessons, I just finished my first playthrough. Wow... the last two chapters hit like a ton of bricks. And some twists were really twisty.

Also, THE WALKTHROUGH LIED TO ME! ;)

Seriously though, this VN does unusually good job when it comes to the consequences of the protagonists decisions. And I have to go back and get me some good endings now.

But I'm already impressed.

Also, (warning, HEAVY SPOILER!)

Spoiler

You know that running joke in VN communities, that in charage the heroines you don't choose die a horrible death? Well... they played it straight here :o

Someone asked for a similar JVN. I think the one that comes closest from the ones I played (but still very different) would be Yume Miru Kusuri. Themes are different, but the thing about consequences (and having some of the h-scenes already in the common route) bears some similarity.

Edited by adamstan

11 hours ago, Seraphim88 said:

Just out of curiosity, what happened to the characters in the ending you got? There are several variations for each of them.

Yeah, I know, the walkthrough lists them. But it's pretty cruel (and clever at the same time), that

Spoiler

you can enter the character's route while being already doomed to the bad end.

That surprised me.

Spoiler

For the first playthrough I got Megan's bad end. Since I fucked other girls, Megan rejected me after final confrontation with Leah. Peter got shot by his police friend. Liam got together with Elise and got better. Protag reunited with Ana. I got "hospital" scene after credits.

And just now I got Megan's good end. NOW WE'RE TALKING! Marriage ending - love'em :D In this case Liam got together with Rena. Peter lives but is in prison. And I got "red carpet" after story.

Also,

Spoiler

When doing subsequent playthrough, some of the scenes with Leah give that weird vibe after you already know that she's murderous yandere

Edited by adamstan

Okay, finished Acting Lessons (completed all the routes and got all major endings. Didn't bother to uncover every single of little ending variations)

It was really good. In addition to what I have already said, I agree that they did the protagonist's male friend thing really well.

After hitting bad ending on the first playthrough, the good one was all the more satisfying.

This VN surprised me a few times, made me shed some tears, and had some nice comedic bits as well. With 3D EVNs it's really hit and miss, since many of them are just plain nukiges, sex sims etc, but this one is really one of the gems.

8/10

So, as I'm done healing from the worst alcohol poisoning of my life (I don't think I'll be able to look at vodka again without thinking "barfing", which is probably a good thing anyway...), I've got back to reading VNs, particularly Chemically Bonded... And damn, I can't say I like much about it so far. While I liked ds-sans' writing in his previous two games, even though the stories were very simple, there's something fundamentally broken with how it flows in this one. The inner monologues are both benign and extremely bloated. The characters act in an unnatural way that is hard to look past, particularly the Tsundere heroine, who juggles personas in such a speed that she feels like an insane person more than anything else. The voice acting for the shy heroine is also just... Weird. She sounds more like a small child than like a somewhat-cheerful and sharp high schooler. I also just reached the first really tense scene in the game and the music went so over-the-top-dramatic that it genuinely kept distracting me... I even tried re-reading the opening sequences, to make sure that it wasn't just my mood spoiling the experience or something like that... And nope, it felt just the same. Unless something changes soon, it's going to be one sad review...

37 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

The characters act in an unnatural way that is hard to look past, particularly the Tsundere heroine, who juggles personas in such a speed that she feels like an insane person more than anything else.

Being poorly written is one of the primary traits of the tsundere.  Well written tsunderes are as much of a myth as the Loch Ness monster or a person with good taste.

Just now, GXOALMD said:

Being poorly written is one of the primary traits of the tsundere.  Well written tsunderes are as much of a myth as the Loch Ness monster or a person with good taste.

Well, due to my horrible taste I don't mind tsunderes that switch between the modes in a somewhat predictable and logical pattern. Here we have the case of a girl that switches between very distinctive abusive, boastful and flustered modes literally every other sentence, turning most of her dialogue into a tone-deaf mess. Normal tsundereness seems rather inoffensive in comparison. :unsure:

I've been reading Danganronpa V3 (in English) and Axanael (in Japanese, of course lol)...

Danganronpa: I'm only in chapter 2 so far but, but! D: I'm a sad gal,, I totally didn't see that culprit coming, and I'm honestly surprised by that, since escaping dangan spoilers is almost impossible argh

Axanael: Well, since this is my first visual novel in Japanese and I'm using it to git gud, I would say it's been hell to advance the story... not really. The writing is easy to follow but I feel I chose one option I shouldn't, right in the beginning (even before I actually play)... but since it was all in hard kanji and I couldn't hook it because it was an image, I just chose one random and... well, I don't know if my first point of view/character should be Ena? I'm confused, but I do like her catchphrase :mare:

14 hours ago, adamstan said:

This VN surprised me a few times, made me shed some tears

The thing that hit me hardest was probably when

Spoiler

Jonas comes to Liam's apartment and finds out he's been living like that while keeping up a facade that everything's okay.

I'm glad things worked out for Liam in the end, no matter which route you went down.

1 hour ago, Seraphim88 said:

The thing that hit me hardest was probably when

Reveal hidden contents

Jonas comes to Liam's apartment and finds out he's been living like that while keeping up a facade that everything's okay.

I'm glad things worked out for Liam in the end, no matter which route you went down.

Yeah, that was strong. However, for me, the heaviest one was

Spoiler

The beginning of seventh chapter, right after the fire, the "limbo" part. Realising again and again that Melissa (or Megan) is dead, that feeling of being totally powerless - "I couldn't save her!"... It hit hard.

And yeah, it was really relieving that at least Liam got some kind of happy end.

However, I wonder what happens if you keep being a dick to Liam throughout the whole game - I couldn't make myself do it, but walkthrough suggests, that there is separate ending variation for such cases.

I think that now I'm going to try The Language of Love

Edited by adamstan