What are you playing?

Hey, can you answer me something real quick? Is this "Flying Circus" a team sport or a solo sport? Haven't seen any specifics.

I didn't like most team sports anime like Tsubasa, Eyeshied 21, Kurokos Basketball, etc. while I really liked solo sports like Hikaru no Go, Chihayafuru or Hajime no Ippo. Guess it helps for me if all that mushy "Now we all have to work together" "It's a team effort" stuff is off the table...

This might actually make or break this VN for me.

1 hour ago, adamstan said:

I'm not into sports at all, yet I enjoyed FC part of Aokana. The battles matches scenes were written in quite engaging way. I agree that a bit more of a build-up for romance would have been nice, but still it was very enjoyable experience.

Do you really not find her cute!?
https://i.gyazo.com/f7bda17d10b6a27a908dda4b4a4c8125.jpg

f7bda17d10b6a27a908dda4b4a4c8125.jpg

I followed up on my initial plan and got both games, so I guess I'll be playing each for a while.

Thanks, guess I'll give it a shot then.

While I'm allready in this thread might as well mention a few things to my recently played VNs, mostly ones that date back a bit, but that's just me catching up on my backlog.

Shining Song Starnova was much better than expected. Played the other love in space games, which were kinda hit and miss for me. Shining Song Starnova mixes up tropes well enough to get a more unique experience that was overall very enjoyable. 8/10

Hatsukoi 1/1 was great at its best and frustrating at its worst depending on the route. 6/10

Spoiler

Really liked Kyou, she had problems that weren't too far removed to be relatable. Yukino was the worst, artificial problems that even made her look manipulative, completely unenjoyable for me. The others were middle of the road with good and bad moments. The protagonist is extra boring in this one.

Sabbat of the witch was more of a negative experience for me. 4/10

Spoiler

The relationships seemed a bit superficial, most of the games focus went towards Nene, who wasn't that great, IMO. Her story doesn't make much sense from a logical perspective, concerning the time travel and it's not even completely resolved. The second part of her story arrives at a satisfying conclusion, but only at the cost of making her unlikeable (selfish) to begin with.

The conditions that are placed on the witches are just too random, either making for cheap laughs or for cheap resolutions.

Touko and Kariya were the most satisfying ones here, still nothing special though.

Oniikiss was a guilty pleasure, I enjoyed it for what it's worth. Lighthearted, stupid, exactly what one needs sometimes, if it's in your strike zone. 8/10

Started reading Hoshizora no Memoria and Chrono Clock now. First impressions good on both. Especially Chrono Clock looks georgeous and the protagonist seems more interesting than most. (Or the setting makes him more interesting)

32 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Almost, but something is off with her face. Uncanny. When I browsed through screenshots gallery on vndb, all those characters looked somewhat scary to me. Something about face proportions and expressions doesn't feel right. Guess this art style just doesn't work for me.

Finished Vel route for Love Esquaire. The journey was great, and that romance was charming me with that cute little red-head brawler. I liked that dating sim a lot for the comedy value... I think you can't go wrong with it. Even though I had to replay the whole thing since one choice screwed me up and left me in Friendzone. It is really not a lot of change between endings sadly. Hentais were added only just to say it may be patched for +18 but that's it. Maybe I will do a third playthrough.

The gameplay though and the girl events... damn they kept me glued into my chair. Sort of review below.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/SaoTheDreamer/recommended/849740/

Edited by Saosin

Man, I ended up ploughing straight through Nanairo Reincarnation due to it being the shorter game (to Aokana), and now am emotionally devastated. Wasn't sure how much of a nakige it would be, but boy does it hit hard towards the end... ended up doing all the routes since they are basically the same with slight differences, too.

Now I'm gonna start Aokana... but I think I'll also look up recommendations for something light-hearted on the funnier side, too, to compensate for my poor hurt kokoro.

29 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Man, I ended up ploughing straight through Nanairo Reincarnation due to it being the shorter game (to Aokana), and now am emotionally devastated. Wasn't sure how much of a nakige it would be, but boy does it hit hard towards the end...

Ooooh, I was under the impression it's a comedy nukige and was going to pass on it either entirely or at least for the moment, but now I'm actually interested (like the masochist I apparently am)! I might give it a go when I'm done with Yukizakura!

Just now, Seraphim88 said:

Ooooh, I was under the impression it's a comedy nukige and was going to pass on it either entirely or at least for the moment, but now I'm actually interested (like the masochist I apparently am)! I might give it a go when I'm done with Yukizakura!

It employs a very classic nakige structure. The first part is comedic and light-hearted. Then there's romance, the tragic climax and a bittersweet ending. It surprised me too, because the thing about the demons made me thing it would be a simple story peppered with h-scenes everywhere, contrasting oddly with its nakige tag, but it most definitely isn't so. It's fairly short (even if you do more than one route, which isn't all that necessary), so do tell me if you play it!

20 minutes ago, adamstan said:

Aokana is pretty lighthearted, so you should be fine for a start :)

Fair enough. I'll start it either way, as I had originally planned, be it comedic enough or not :P

Otherwise I might just play it and rewatch some comedy anime or smth haha.

Done with Yukizakura now! While it wasn't quite on par with the other D.O. works I've read (Kana Imouto, Crescendo and Kazoku Keikaku), it was definitely a worthwhile experience.

The only thing I was kinda disappointed by was Misato's route, despite her being one of the characters I liked the most overall.

Spoiler

The whole "illlicit relationship" drama had already been done in Saki's route, and it even unfolded more or less the same way (they start dating, get too comfortable around each other in school, get found out by the vice principal on the school roof and are then forced apart). The ending didn't make much sense either. Misato is forced to transfer to another school because of her and Yuuji's relationship, he transfers to her new school as a student, kisses her right in the middle of the class and then everything is apparently just fine and dandy, although they basically find themselves in an identical situation to the one that forced them apart before.

13 hours ago, Seraphim88 said:

Done with Yukizakura now! While it wasn't quite on par with the other D.O. works I've read (Kana Imouto, Crescendo and Kazoku Keikaku), it was definitely a worthwhile experience.

The only thing I was kinda disappointed by was Misato's route, despite her being one of the characters I liked the most overall.

Hide contents

The whole "illlicit relationship" drama had already been done in Saki's route, and it even unfolded more or less the same way (they start dating, get too comfortable around each other in school, get found out by the vice principal on the school roof and are then forced apart). The ending didn't make much sense either. Misato is forced to transfer to another school because of her and Yuuji's relationship, he transfers to her new school as a student, kisses her right in the middle of the class and then everything is apparently just fine and dandy, although they basically find themselves in an identical situation to the one that forced them apart before.

Im gonna assume no one knows they're siblings in the new school.

1 hour ago, Stormwolf said:

Im gonna assume no one knows they're siblings in the new school.

Spoiler

As ArgentstR mentioned, Misato's a teacher, and she's forced to transfer to a new school because she had a relationship with a student (Yuuji, that is). But it apparently isn't an issue that they're all over each other in the middle of class at the new school, despite it still being a matter of a student/teacher relationship, and I find that pretty hard to believe.

On 18.10.2019 at 10:10 AM, Saosin said:

Finished Vel route for Love Esquaire. The journey was great, and that romance was charming me with that cute little red-head brawler. I liked that dating sim a lot for the comedy value... I think you can't go wrong with it. Even though I had to replay the whole thing since one choice screwed me up and left me in Friendzone. It is really not a lot of change between endings sadly. Hentais were added only just to say it may be patched for +18 but that's it. Maybe I will do a third playthrough.

The gameplay though and the girl events... damn they kept me glued into my chair. Sort of review below.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/SaoTheDreamer/recommended/849740/

When I watched the trailers I knew I had to play this and put everything else on hold.

I really liked the Sim Dating Games from quite a few years ago, they are basically what got me into VNs in the long run, and this is pretty much a super polished version of those with a very charming presentation.

I basically treat these games as puzzle games with the goal of clearing them as efficiently as possible. Managed to set it up so I can reach every girls good ending within the last 10 days, a lot of savescumming was necessary for that though. I allways feel strangely accomplished when I can do that in these kinds of games. The choices are spread out much earlier though so I can't reach the neutral and bad endings without going waaay back, maybe at a later point. The girls are all cute in their own ways and the creative spin playing as the squire adds a lot of comedic value.

The H-scenes basically added nothing to the game though, they are the only unvoiced parts and very short, a bit of a waste considering they even animated them.

Had a lot of fun with this. 8/10

3 hours ago, Seraphim88 said:

I'm reading Nanairo Reincarnation now and have to admit I was kinda caught off guard when this dude showed up all of a sudden:

In exchange, they didn't have the resources anymore to give the main antagonist a sprite. Apparently, this was more important to them. :vinty:

Awesome decisons... *sigh*

Just now, ChaosRaven said:

they didn't have the resources anymore to give the main antagonist a sprite.

Haha, seriously? I'm not that far along yet, but that sounds like some really lousy prioritizing! I'd actually been thinking that it feels like a pretty high budget production so far, but it seems they went wrong somewhere down the line then.

On 10/17/2019 at 6:01 PM, Jun Inoue said:

God dammit. I was checking some stuff on Nanairo and read something I definitely shouldn't have. Ooooh well, onwards with courage, I guess.

Dies Irae spoiler

I was browsing the Dies Irae characters page on VNDB and, at the time, they had Lisa in her nazi uniform. I was super pissed because I didn’t know that she was a villain at the time. They’ve since set that picture of her to spoiler.

24 minutes ago, tahu157 said:

Dies Irae spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

I was browsing the Dies Irae characters page on VNDB and, at the time, they had Lisa in her nazi uniform. I was super pissed because I didn’t know that she was a villain at the time. They’ve since set that picture of her to spoiler.

Well, technically this is shown in the opening. ^_^

Spoiler

But I personally didn't even recognize her there at first.

Finally got around to finishing Misaki's route in Aokana

What a route! It had some really amazing moments and I really loved the romance between the two of them. They had a interesting dynamic and you could plainly see why the both fell for each other

Even the sex scenes were nice and sweet which was so goddamn freaky I felt like I was in another reality

Well, now it's time to take on the next one!

Yesterday I discovered interesting thing. Still cannot be fully sure, 'cause I checked only one part, but it looks like MoeNovel stealthily updated Steam edition of If My Heart Had Wings to match Cruise Sign's main part. Maybe they did it while doing Switch version?

While reading Cruise Sign, yesterday I reached the point where the first H-scene in Kotori's route would be in the adult version. I found the replacement scene to be really sweet and cute, so I wanted to compare it with the total disaster that reportedly the old IMHHW version was. I did clean install of Steam version, and quickly skimmed thru it up to the same point. And, to my utmost surprise, it was exactly identical to Cruise Sign. No weird cuts, but exactly same replacement scene, with proper voice lines etc. Also, it seems that they revised the translation a bit. It still isn't great, but for example, there are no longer "eyes" instead of "boobs" in the bath scene :D

I'm going to compare other parts while I go thru them as well, but if  (and that's a big if...;)) the rest of the game follows the same pattern, then it would mean, that when you get all parts of Steam release (main game + Flight Diary + Akari addon) you'd get the equivalent of translated  Cruise Sign.

Edited by adamstan