What are you playing?

I've bought Ciconia since I am die hard fan of Umineko and somewhat Higurashi... but lets be real here we will have 3 more episodes if they all will be in that price... then something is srsly wrong here. Game is great so far as much as I can tell for few hours of gameplay they already throw 24 characters on me. There will be a lot of action something tells me...

What else, ah yes I am surprised when I saw my country representative :isla:

Edited by Saosin

I finished Aokana recently, and absolutely loved every bit of it. 9/10 (more in Aokana thread)

Now I think I have to take a break from VNs for a few days, and catch up with some other things.

And then I'll probably tackle something untranslated again. Konosora Cruise Sign maybe?

Edited by adamstan

There’s not really any recommended order in terms of spoilers, but you need to clear Asa’s route to access Yoru’s and Kotori’s route to access Amane’s. Kotori’s and Amane’s routes are by far the best ones imo, so I’d personally save those for last. When I reread it at some point, I’ll probably go Ageha -> Asa -> Yoru -> Kotori -> Amane.

Yesterday I started Konosora Cruise Sign for a moment just to check if my saved text hooking configuration still works after updating the emulator (it does!), and I was again reminded how beautiful the music in this VN is. :mare: Even the main theme alone, that can be heard in a menu, brings back memories and emotions...

11 hours ago, Seraphim88 said:

When I reread it at some point, I’ll probably go Ageha -> Asa -> Yoru -> Kotori -> Amane.

I also think that Kotori's route is the best, but I prefer to start with it :D

Edited by adamstan

6 hours ago, Seraphim88 said:

There’s not really any recommended order in terms of spoilers, but you need to clear Asa’s route to access Yoru’s and Kotori’s route to access Amane’s. Kotori’s and Amane’s routes are by far the best ones imo, so I’d personally save those for last. When I reread it at some point, I’ll probably go Ageha -> Asa -> Yoru -> Kotori -> Amane.

Well, I'm not even sure if I'm going to play all routes, so I'd rather start with the best one. I guess, I'll start with Kotori then. Thank you!

7 hours ago, adamstan said:

I was again reminded how beautiful the music in this VN is.

I rarely listen to music from games, movies, etc outside of the source material, but IMHHW is one of few exceptions to that. That and the soundtrack in Fata Morgana are my personal favorites when it comes to music in VNs!
I really want to read Cruise Sign as well, but I'd have to read the MoeNovel version if I want to do it right now and that's kinda putting me off, although their localization are supposedly better nowadays.

7 hours ago, adamstan said:

I also think that Kotori's route is the best, but I prefer to start with it :D

I usually tend to save the best for last. :P
Then again, I might actually skip Ageha's, Asa's and Yoru's routes entirely and just reread Amane's and Kotori's. I don't think the other three are nearly as good; especially Ageha's, which contained some stuff that felt really stupid. Like

Spoiler

how they build up to the reveal of this seemingly major secret she's been keeping, and then it just turns out that she snuck into a construction site as a kid and for some reason decided that was something she absolutely couldn't tell anyone about. Definitely one of the most anticlimactic reveals I've ever seen!

I like Ageha as a character, but her route was a pretty big disappointment for me.
Both Asa's and Yoru's felt kinda bland, but I'm not really into lolis and I guess that might have affected my opinion a bit.

5 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Well, I'm not even sure if I'm going to play all routes, so I'd rather start with the best one. I guess, I'll start with Kotori then. Thank you!

Ah, yeah, definitely start with Kotori then! Both her and Amane's route are great!

So, as planned, I started reading Cruise Sign. Ah, the music and Kotori :wub::Chocola:

I'm encountering fair number of unknown words (by this I mean more than in other untranslated VNs I played before), and probably there'll be a lot more once glider fun starts ;) - but that's where text hooking comes to help  :D Having already read translated version of IMHHW probably helps a little too.

BTW, according to the walkthrough at Seiya-Saiga, Akari's route isn't part of the main game, but is accessible from the menu as a part of Flight Diary. So, technically Steam version of Flight Diary with Akari DLC should be equal to console version, unless they used some additional censorship.

I plan to grab it sometime later (maybe on winter Steam sale?) and compare them.

Edited by adamstan

I guess it's good if they want to keep console version available in their own way, although seeing that even Pulltop was requested by Valve to do additional censorship safe to say that we may encounter some toned down coversation in the Steam version. By the way even with VNDB changed MoeNovel as a part of WillPlus instead of Pulltop, I'll still call treat them as part of Pulltop anyway (And keep calling them Pulltop) seeing that most of MoeNovel's localized VNs is from Pulltop, and more importantly we didn't see both of Damekoi and Starless being censored (Both of these are from the companies that was under WillPluss as well (Hermit and Empress respectively)).

As for Ciconia, looking from Steam playtime at most it was at 20 hours. There's also a review stated that the price was too expensive for the length of the VN, and his playtime was at around 11 hours. So perhaps the average playtime for Ciconia first phase here should be at ~15 hours, and apparently the price was because Ryukishi managed to get new graphic along with hireing a lot of employees (At least his drawing was improved even more compared to Umineko and especially Higurashi (Apparently both of Takano and Okonogi are at Ciconia)).

On 10/10/2019 at 7:44 AM, littleshogun said:

apparently the price was because Ryukishi managed to get new graphic along with hireing a lot of employees

A lot of people probably won't know or care about that; they just see the price tag, think it's too high and then wait for a major price drop or pass on the game entirely. Steam users tend to be really whiny about VN prices, even if we're talking tens of hours of entertainment in many cases.

22 hours ago, Seraphim88 said:

A lot of people probably won't know or care about that; they just see the price tag, think it's too high and then wait for a major price drop or pass on the game entirely. Steam users tend to be really whiny about VN prices, even if we're talking tens of hours of entertainment in many cases.

Product has to match the value. It does not. Arist needs to find something else to do, his drawing is terrible and anything to the contrary is a pretty damn biased opinion. Look at that shit. Honestly, take a good damn look and really think about what you're looking at. Not only does the art look terrible, the game has no voices either. And dont tell me after the astounding success of the two previous series that they could not afford to hire staff for voice acting.10 Euro area sounds about right for this title.

Edited by Stormwolf

I'm still going through console version of Konosora. My reading speed turns out to be rather slow - translated version took me ~50hrs to complete, while here, after 20hrs, I'm still in the middle of common route (after first test flight and beach episode ;) ).

While I still love Kotori, I seem to notice Amane more this time. Or rather - I partially forgot how great she was, while I remembered Kotori more, so now I'm kind of rediscovering her.

BTW - I understand that it's all-ages* release, but bath towels make no sense while in the water :P If you need to cover up titties in bath scenes, I'd prefer the good old steam ;)

*or actually it isn't, it's CERO D = +17 :P

Edited by adamstan

I wouldn't be surprised, if they just went lazy route, and reused some CGs from 2013 IMHHW release. (and that release was aimed at +12 (CERO B) rating, so that would explain it a bit - for example "all-ages" version of Aokana has "C" (+15) rating, and its bath CG is much bolder)

Edited by adamstan

49 minutes ago, adamstan said:

I wouldn't be surprised, if they just went lazy route, and reused some CGs from 2013 IMHHW release.

Yeah, it's definitely not out of the picture.
When you said "bath scene", were you referring to the one with Kotori, Ageha and Amane or the one with Aoi and Kotori? Here's a CG from the latter one (from the original IMHHW, that is):

Spoiler

zIQsBG.jpg

The towel eventually slides down as Aoi starts to grope her, but they might have reused the CGs where she's covered up.

1 hour ago, Seraphim88 said:

When you said "bath scene", were you referring to the one with Kotori, Ageha and Amane

Yes, I'm still at common route, I haven't reached that later scene with Aoi x Kotori yet.

1 hour ago, Jun Inoue said:

Finally have some time on my hands again, and felt like looking for smth to read. Currently debating between Aokana -Four Rhythms Across the Blue- and Nanairo Reincarnation, seeing that I can support both legally on Steam.

I can wholeheartedly recommend Aokana. Cannot say much about Nanairo Reincarnation, since character design put me off.

Edited by adamstan

1 hour ago, adamstan said:

I can wholeheartedly recommend Aokana. Cannot say much about Nanairo Reincarnation, since character design put me off.

Really? Must admit that it was actually the design of both works that initially caught my attention, as I find their styles really pretty. They also seem fairly different games, so I might even play both "at the same time".

Seeing how you appear to have played Aokana, however, I wanted to ask: to what kind of story does it shift towards? Of its main tags, the only relevant seems to be "pure love story", which doesn't really tell me whether it's more dramatic or comedic/light-hearted.

28 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

what kind of story does it shift towards? Of its main tags, the only relevant seems to be "pure love story", which doesn't really tell me whether it's more dramatic or comedic/light-hearted.

It's mostly light-hearted. There is some drama, but it's basically just a matter of momentary setbacks rather than anything really serious.
You should keep in mind that Aokana has a heavy focus on FC, the sport they're practicing, and it might make or break the experience for you depending on how enjoyable you find that part of the game. I actually didn't care much about FC, so I was a bit disappointed with the overall experience since it felt like FC overshadowed the romance quite heavily.

19 minutes ago, Seraphim88 said:

It's mostly light-hearted. There is some drama, but it's basically just a matter of momentary setbacks rather than anything really serious.
You should keep in mind that Aokana has a heavy focus on FC, the sport they're practicing, and it might make or break the experience for you depending on how enjoyable you find that part of the game. I actually didn't care much about FC, so I was a bit disappointed with the overall experience since it felt like FC overshadowed the romance quite heavily.

Hmmm, I see. I did read that the story focused quite heavily on the sport itself, but didn't know it was the point it might overshadow the romantic side itself. I've always been a fan of sports anime, so there's that, but I have no idea how well that might translate into a VN.

I'd prefer to play it for a while and then decide, but I believe there's no demo on Steam.

Just now, Jun Inoue said:

but didn't know it was the point it might overshadow the romantic side itself.

Well, to each his own. I just know that I'd have liked more scenes centered around the romance part of the game, but if you enjoy sports anime, I'd say there's a good chance you'd enjoy this as well. As for me, I'm not that into sports in the first place, so that might be part of the reason why FC felt kinda so-so for me.