What are you playing?

On ‎2019‎年‎8‎月‎14‎日 at 8:18 AM, Seraphim88 said:

As for Kagetsu Tohya, it sucked. The story was utterly uninteresting, and not even the comedy stuff, that the VN relies quite heavily on, was very entertaining. I might reread Tsukihime someday (especially if the remake is ever released), but Kagetsu Tohya won't be a part of that deal.

Whoa!  Thems fightin' words, there.

The main story was mostly jokes and character cameos shoe-horned into a 'plot'.  It's understandable that if you weren't a huge Tsukihime fan to begin with, the KT story wouldn't appeal.  But not liking the side stories?!

Of course, many of the side stories were parodies or homages to other Japanese works, but there were still a bunch of them that I thought were very good.  Especially Daybreak, Tohno Family Con Game, and Yoimachi Kanwa (unless you were one of those weird people that didn't like Akiha).  Did you not like any of them?

2 minutes ago, Toranth said:

But not liking the side stories?!

The side stories were actually far more enjoyable than the main game. The ones you mention, as well as Imogirisou, are my personal favorites. I can see myself rereading some of the sidestories at some point, but I sincerely doubt I'll ever feel like going through the main story again.

Is there any reason to wait for the finalization of the JAST version of Majikoi rather than pick up the existing translation right now? I've been putting off reading it for quite a while, but I'm really itching to read it and it seems kinda pointless to wait since the new version is supposedly done by the same team.

3 minutes ago, Seraphim88 said:

Is there any reason to wait for the finalization of the JAST version of Majikoi rather than pick up the existing translation right now? I've been putting off reading it for quite a while, but I'm really itching to read it and it seems kinda pointless to wait since the new version is supposedly done by the same team.

The 'same team' only did two routes, Miyako's and another important one. All else was done by a different guy (possibly not very well, but the dialogue and events are so hysterical I didn't really notice any problems).
It'd also be nice to support English releases, but that's an aside.

1 hour ago, Seraphim88 said:

Read it now for its greatness, and later on get the JAST version to support the game's official release.

On 8/22/2019 at 4:08 AM, Seraphim88 said:

No reason really, in that you can pick the existing translated version of that. Also yeah it's pointless to wait, unless you prefer some characters got no voice because apparently JAST can only guaranteed that Kazama family will be voiced, and it's obviously mean that there'll be some characters that got no voice probably because of the licensing cost (Some of the seiyuu after all are pretty well known one, so it's logical that the cost will be slightly expensive).

Edited by littleshogun

49 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

there'll be some characters that got no voice probably

Damn, that really sucks, and it's a major incentive for playing the old version rather than the new one. I'll start reading the current translation as soon as I'm done with Noble Works then, and if I enjoy it, which I assume I will, I'll pick up the JAST version later on to show support.

Playing Evenicle here. After the feelings and deception train it was Island, I wanted to relax and have a good time fighting with cute girls drawn by Yaegashi Nan-sensei in a colorful fantasy world. So far I've been enjoying it quite a lot. Has anyone here played it too?

2 minutes ago, Zou said:

Playing Evenicle here. After the feelings and deception train it was Island, I wanted to relax and have a good time fighting with cute girls drawn by Yaegashi Nan-sensei in a colorful fantasy world. So far I've been enjoying it quite a lot. Has anyone here played it too?

Yes. Others, such as I, have certainly played it, yes.

12 hours ago, littleshogun said:

No reason really, in that you can pick the existing translated version of that. Also yeah it's pointless to wait, unless you prefer some characters got no voice because apparently JAST can only guaranteed that Kazama family will be voiced, and it's obviously mean that there'll be some characters that got no voice probably because of the licensing cost (Some of the seiyuu after all are pretty well known one, so it's logical that the cost will be slightly expensive).

Oh boy, it really sounds that my namesake, the dear Inoue Jun, will probably be one of those. Considering it's the seiyuu of Gintoki (Gintama), he might be an expensive one.

Since I havn't posted in this thread in a while, I'll list my thoughts about the last 3 VN's I've finished.....

To Heart 2

https://vndb.org/v20

My first thought is, why didn't this VN get an official release!?

I really had a lot of fun with this VN. It had a lot of colorful characters and comedy. It had it's fair share of drama too (nothing too serious).

I always like my Tsundere characters, and Yuma was as bonkers and entertaining as they came. Konomi and Manaka were friggin' adorable. And Sasara probably had the best route overall (quite a lot of drama, and quite a lot of fanservice too).

Under One Wing

https://vndb.org/v17827

This VN had a few standout music tracks, and I liked the plane battles (I wish there were more of them).

Otherwise it's a typical rom com. Hikari was highly amusing with her sexual jokes (and sexual harassments). And as far as Tsunderes go, Kazusa is quite a level headed one.

Sankaku Ren'ai: Love Triangle Trouble

https://vndb.org/v19444

This VN is just loaded with lots of quirky, nerdy, 4th wall breaking humor, and tons of references! Easily one of the funniest VN's I've read (it's up there with the likes of Fureraba and Grisaia).

Shiina in particular was hilarious, with her Eroge memes (though the whole cast managed to be almost as quirky as she was)!

And of course, this VN has juicy imouto H scenes (and they aren't too long winded either) :makina:

Meanwhile, here I am still waiting on releases like Lamunation and Aokana....

On 24/8/2019 at 1:19 PM, tracekira said:

Little Busters and Ayakashibito

Dissapointed in Little Busters :( Overrated

I read it half a month ago and I think it's one of the best VN's out there, with Refrain being probably the best true end I've seen in a while. It isn't perfect by any means, especially when it comes to Kud's and Saigusa's routes, but's pretty decent in my opinion.

36 minutes ago, Zou said:

I read it half a month ago and I think it's one of the best VN's out there, with Refrain being probably the best true end I've seen in a while. It isn't perfect by any means, especially when it comes to Kud's and Saigusa's routes, but's pretty decent in my opinion.

Sorry but i think 80% of it is overrated slice of life crap: play with cats , collect caterpillars, catch a cat , help serve food , participate in a song contest , help prepare lunch, play baseball , play kick the can, go on a date , repair a bench , move a table , clean the table , ... i can go on for hours and hours .... That material is for 12-14 years old , except a few rare wtf moments , which could be easily adapted .... then its a beautiful novel for kids ... i don't contest that .... but for adults ... now way , you have to be low IQ to enjoy this drivel :(

55 minutes ago, tracekira said:

Sorry but i think 80% of it is overrated slice of life crap: play with cats , collect caterpillars, catch a cat , help serve food , participate in a song contest , help prepare lunch, play baseball , play kick the can, go on a date , repair a bench , move a table , clean the table , ... i can go on for hours and hours .... That material is for 12-14 years old , except a few rare wtf moments , which could be easily adapted .... then its a beautiful novel for kids ... i don't contest that .... but for adults ... now way , you have to be low IQ to enjoy this drivel :(

Only a child worries about a work being too childish for them. Not to speak about how that doesn't really affect its quality either way... Avatar: The Last Airbender is technically "for kids" and a masterpiece all the same.

Furthermore, what you listed are kind of the soul and bread and butter of slice of lives. Little Busters is not a story about adventures or fighting. At least try to make your point respectfully.

1 hour ago, tracekira said:

Capturejjui.png

Just started playing Gin'iro, Haruka. Enjoying it quite a bit so far, hoping it turns out to be as good as HoshiOri and can't wait for the first route in a couple weeks. Will probably reread something in the meantime after finishing this common route.

5 hours ago, Mugi said:

Just started playing Gin'iro, Haruka. Enjoying it quite a bit so far, hoping it turns out to be as good as HoshiOri and can't wait for the first route in a couple weeks. Will probably reread something in the meantime after finishing this common route.

I already have huge backlog, so I'll rather wait for full patch to be released, but it getting TLed is great news :)

11 hours ago, Mugi said:

I've heard that it has potential but the MC can be very bland. How does it feel?

1 hour ago, Jun Inoue said:

I've heard that it has potential but the MC can be very bland. How does it feel?

Haven't started reading it myself yet, but here's what the guy translating the VN thinks of him:

Spoiler

"Another thing I have positive thoughts on is that Yukito is a slightly more interesting protagonist than Ryousuke. Ryousuke was seriously a kind of ubermensch when it comes to moege protagonism. He had very concrete career aspirations, he was really assertive, and he was athletic via soccer and whatever.

Yukito is also quite capable and he’s definitely an impressive specimen when it comes to being assertive and such. But there are a few times when Yukito has inner doubts, mostly stemming from the fact that his parents divorced when he was young and he kinda convinced himself that he was at least partially to blame and so he needs to be as good a boy as he can be so he doesn’t ever risk hurting others around him. This side of his character isn’t necessarily heavily focused on in Bethly route, but it does come up a few times.

Yukito comes across as kinda stiff and over-mature in common route—and there’s actually a pretty notable line in the common route where he muses to himself briefly about how he’s never really been good at showing overt emotion—and I found he loosened up and became a little more casual and genuinely easygoing in his temperament as the route went on. He’d crack more jokes and have something along the lines of banter—though he’s always ridiculously affable and unperturbed even through that.

The facet of Yukito that’s focused on more in Hinata route is that he doesn’t really have any specific aspirations or dreams for his future in the same way a lot of his peers do. So trying to find a drive for himself in that way so far seems to be a major part of his own character arc in the route. Relatable to a lot of people, probably."

Edited by Seraphim88

5 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

Perfectly fine MC. I like him about as much as I like Ryou from HoshiOri, and way better than Yuuma from Hatsukoi. Going to have to actually play through at least one route before any feelings are set in stone, but he's got the potential to be the best protag TW has churned out.