What are you playing?

21 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:
  Hide contents

Its likely vague enough that its impossible to figure out as you'll likely discard the hints as you go because they don't mean anything to you at that time.

Spoiler

Nope, it really is possible. I myself got quite a lot of things right, though, admittedly, I spoiled a certain moment from later in the game, which didn't really reveal anything concrete, but helped me a lot to place everything together. @Thyndd also got many things right, and he didn't know that spoiler.

I'd say, there is a certain "main twist" which is pretty much impossible to get if you never read over stories with the same twist. Every other twist is actually hinted a lot, you just need to notice these hints.

I just finished Serika's route in ToHeart PSE.
6010.jpg

Shy ojousama, leader of occult club, which, apart from her, consists of ghost members only*  

Spoiler

*literally ghost members :D

She's cute, and route was pretty nice, but it has one major drawback execution-wise - it's almost completely unvoiced!. It has some in-story justification - Serika is very shy and quiet, and most of the time she whispers, so we get to know her lines as 'reported' by MC - but it still seems like lazy move from devs. OTOH - first version was unvoiced, so if they wrote it like that from the beginning I kind of understand it - it wouldn't be feasible to rewrite whole story just to give more work to VA ;)

Nevertheless I enjoyed this route very much, and it ended nicely.

Spoiler

Scenes with Serika patting Hiroyuki's head were very heartwarming. Pool date was nice too.

So, 3 routes completed, 7 more to go :D

Next one is Tomoko:
6009.jpg
Kansai-ben speaking tsundere in glasses, voiced by Aya Hisakawa. Wonder how will it turn out...

Edited by adamstan

3 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Nope, it really is possible. I myself got quite a lot of things right, though, admittedly, I spoiled a certain moment from later in the game, which didn't really reveal anything concrete, but helped me a lot to place everything together. @Thyndd also got many things right, and he didn't know that spoiler.

I'd say, there is a certain "main twist" which is pretty much impossible to get if you never read over stories with the same twist. Every other twist is actually hinted a lot, you just need to notice these hints.

Spoiler

Well, its likely something about time travel or alternate dimensions. Anyway, sometimes its best not to think too hard about it and let the plot twist hit you full force! Anyway, i do wonder how this vn will correct itself. So far the mc has made promises with 2 girls the moment he dies. And that was good endings. Either they'll run some multiple worlds stuff or some of these promises becomes entirely unfulfilled, which makes the routes utterly pointless and unsatisfactory. I must say i'm a bit reluctant to read the last two, as the vn has already told me how the regular routes end. Well, i'm still braving on to see what lies in store. True ending better make up for these bad endings disguised as good endings.

Decided to start playing If My Heart Had Wings because I guess I was looking for something light and fluffy before I restart a lot of the drama heavy vns I'd like to get through

I'm a few hours in and it seems fine so far and the girls that I've encountered so far seem pretty decent

I actually kinda like the protag and he actually seems like he has some issues to deal with and has the potential for growth which is sadly lacking in quite a few vns

Hopefully I won't want to toss him into a spinning propeller half way through the vn

8 hours ago, Ranzo said:

Decided to start playing If My Heart Had Wings because I guess I was looking for something light and fluffy before I restart a lot of the drama heavy vns I'd like to get through

I'm a few hours in and it seems fine so far and the girls that I've encountered so far seem pretty decent

I actually kinda like the protag and he actually seems like he has some issues to deal with and has the potential for growth which is sadly lacking in quite a few vns

Hopefully I won't want to toss him into a spinning propeller half way through the vn

I want to throw most mc's into a propeller regardless. Either they're just written as terrible as they are, or they have some idiotic issues as a "reason" for them to act like a cookie cutter shitty protagonist. In the end, they're mostly all the same, "good" reasons or not. 

Just finished Meikyuu...

Spoiler

I just wanted to say that the first Asako/JB H scene was truly spectacular, genuinely hilarious to the point of weeping eyes in places. But the ending is such a cliff hanger, almost like they cut a sequel in half. I'll move onto Rakuen next... ignore all previous plans I need to know what happens!

For a long time now I'm watching regularly a playthrough of Shining Song Starnova. It's now on fifth route, which happens to be Nemu's and by this point I'm like 80% sick of this game. All the backstories and drama around the girls are just so over-the-top disgusting - they manages to be both cartoonishly exaggerated and genuinely disturbing to the point of being off-putting (I'd be pretty happy with literal shit-eating being exclusive to the clock-up games I read). Even in these small doses I find it occasionally hard to swallow and unlike a genuine utsuge, I don't think there's any real message or value within it (at least apart from compiling every horror story from the anime industry and then making all of them ten times more extreme). It's well-produced, has a lot of content and quite a lot of personality, but the longer I read it, the more I don't know what to think about it... :vinty:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

1 minute ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

For a long time now I'm watching regularly a playthrough of Shining Song Starnova. It's now on fifth route, which happens to be Nemu's and by this point I'm like 80% sick of this game. All the backstories and drama around the girls are just so over-the-top disgusting - they manages to be both cartoonishly exaggerated and genuinely disturbing to the point of being off-putting (I'd be pretty happy with literal shit-eating being exclusive to the clock-up games I read). Even in these small doses I find it occasionally hard to swallow and unlike a genuine utsuge, I don't think there's any real message or value within it (at least apart from compiling every horror story from the anime industry and then making allof them ten times more extreme). It's well-produced, has a lot of content and quite a lot of personality, but the longer I read it, the more I don't know what to think about it... :vinty:

I liked it a lot. There's a lot of "Idols r dark"  drama going on, but that's most definitely not the part I pay attention to or care about. I prefer to focus on everyone's interactions and coming together to have friendship win it all or some such.

4 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I liked it a lot. There's a lot of "Idols r dark"  drama going on, but that's most definitely not the part I pay attention to or care about. I prefer to focus on everyone's interactions and coming together to have friendship win it all or some such.

Yeah, I'd say the casual parts are very well done and girls' personities really shine in their routes. But at some point the kitsch cartoon villains and the over-the-top nastiness of the drama take their toll on me... 

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

After finishing Hello Goodbye, I have been reading EF. I did start over on chapter 1 ,because I got busy with other vns at the time. I like it so far. I'm on chapter 3 now. The ost and artstyle is beautiful. So far I rated it a 9, I might rate it a 10 ,since I heard it gets even better. 

Edited by yelsha57

Already finished with Paulette's route from Maitetsu, so I think I'll continuing Hitotsuba for now (Might as well take Mimari's route first seeing that apparently there's a bug that you can unlock her first sex scenes after you finished Hikari's route).

Edited by littleshogun

I just finished another route in ToHeart. This time it was Tomoko.
6009.jpg

It was very good route - clearly the best of the four I've read so far. At the beginning, Tomoko isn't even tsundere, she's genuine Ice Queen ;) However once she's defrosted, she turns into really nice girl, that has some classic tsundere traits. That progress, and ending make the route really satisfying.

Also, even though it's all-ages release, her route has some pretty nice CGs (WARNING - SPOILERS!)

Spoiler

tomoko-CG0.png

Spoiler

tomoko-CG1.png

Spoiler

tomoko-CG2.png

4 completed, 6 more to go. :)

Next one is Lemmy (レミィ)
6011.jpg

I liked her in common route, let's see how will her own route do.

Freakily Charming recently put out another game that I feel truly lives up to the brand name.
Whilst Hitomebore was a very sweet tale of dealing with 'different', and the other title has its own appeal and fanbase, Butterfly Affection, the newest title, deals with the truly creepy. It's not long at all, and takes less than an hour, so I do recommend you give it a try if you're interested in cohabitating with a Gothic horror.

11 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Freakily Charming recently put out another game that I feel truly lives up to the brand name.
Whilst Hitomebore was a very sweet tale of dealing with 'different', and the other title has its own appeal and fanbase, Butterfly Affection, the newest title, deals with the truly creepy. It's not long at all, and takes less than an hour, so I do recommend you give it a try if you're interested in cohabitating with a Gothic horror.

Do you have a convenient download link for it anywhere? I had trouble finding one.

On 22.03.2019 at 7:01 PM, adamstan said:

Next one is Lemmy (レミィ)
6011.jpg

I liked her in common route, let's see how will her own route do.

I just finished this route, and wasn't disappointed. The route had some backstory, and few truly heartwarming moments :) And Lemmy's crazy family :P

Spoiler

It turns out that she's "lost-childhood-friend" heroine - they met as little kids, when Hiroyuki got lost near Lemmy's house, and then he came there almost everyday and played with her.
lemmyCG3.png
But one day she suddenly moved to US with her family.

Then, this route makes use of the scene with lost boy in the shopping district from common route, as later Lemmy too helps lost girl in search for her mom, and Hiroyuki joins them. Then, she also remembers how they met for the first time. And well, this CG is quite heartwarming isn't it?
lemmyCG1.png

Ending was pretty sweet too :)

Spoiler

lemmyCG2.png

So now I have finished half of the game - and so far it delivers :)

Edited by adamstan

Just finished Ever17 and i certainly need more visual novels like this in my life!

Spoiler

Well, that was pretty epic all in all. Only 2 things i would have wanted different was a more touching epilogue instead of just showing what's up. Takeshi and Tsumugi reunion after 17 years was not a particularly good scene, and i was waiting for something heartwarming :( Nothing offensive mind you, just would have been better if they didn't make it into a comedy scene. 

And the other thing which i found really curious is that Tsumugi had a human strain of the Cure virus.  So how did she infect Chami when the human strain is incapable of infecting anything but pure humans? They went over this in a route and there was like 3 different strains of the virus. It didn't really make much sense. It's a minor thing but it stuck to my mind :lol:

Finished Aoi's route in ToHeart.
6012.jpg

Unfortunately, this route didn't work for me at all - it was pretty boring and tedious to read, consisting mainly of Aoi's training descriptions, and martial arts infodumping full of unknown words. Route was pretty isolated, with Hiroyuki's other classmates disappearing completely (if you choose to skip read text - meaning, they are featured only in common scenes). Each day you just go to the training grounds, watch Aoi train (and/or assist her), have a bit of rather bland dialogue, go home, rinse and repeat.
Also, this route made me sick of the word "senpai" for a while :P

Next one is robot girl Multi.
6008.jpg

They say that she's the best girl in this game. Let's see...

I've finished Supipara vol.1 and vol.2!

PCuJrRQ.png

Honestly, I'm not sure what to think about it. The characters were very charismatic, especially Kamishiro, Yuzuki and the cook whose the name I forgot and can't find anymore.

Sakura also was very charming and funny on her route and the start of Vol. 2, but sadly later Vol. 2 she ended just being a bother on the few occasions that she appeared. (Sorry Sakura!)

The game had some good soundtracks for more dramatic moments, which is unfortunate that they were played so rarely. And I won't mention the art, since it is all animated and there is a lot of beautiful scenarios and etc everyone knows that it is pretty, just Minori being Minori.

But, other than that... I feel that Supipara doesn't have much else to offer. Even with the great humor, the situations don't vary much: You go to school, find someone, have a fun chat,  go home. Rinse and repeat. Very rarely you go to the Café or Sea gazing, but I felt like these moments were too short and could have been better explored...

What got me interested in playing Supipara was: I loved eden* and wanted to see more things from Minori. Specially because I found eden* to be so pretty and having a great drama. Especially because Supipara was tagged as nakige.

So, I was expecting a sad story, or something that would make me cry, like Key titles. If you want to play Supipara expecting an emotional game like eden*, I'm sorry to say that I wouldn't recommend it... Unless you don't have anything else of the kind to play before.

Don't get me wrong, Supipara is a good game. I had plenty of fun with the characters and seeing everything in motion was very charming. But it should be considered as an Moege, not a Nakige. The drama on Sakura's route is far too weak and different from all the possibilities that they could have done considering Sakura's background and career. I'm not even sure if the route was supposed to be just a slice of life or if the really really small conflict that they showed was actually the drama? Honestly, I don't know.

The conflict in Amano's route was done in a much better way and it got me worried for her and actually crying on its climax. But since was done so close to the end and was so short, I can't evaluate Supipara as a Nakige. As a moege, it's okay, but even as it there is so much potential lost and very few new situations...

So, I don't know. I liked because the characters and art. There are plenty of better games both in comedy and drama. I definitely expected more from the game. But Supipara is comfy and that's fine with me. Even if it's not a very good game, I still wish that somehow I could see the last chapters of it being completed. I would love to know what exactly is happening with Yukki and seeing the remaining heroine's routes. 

And lastly, I hope that other minori titles give me more a feeling of eden* than Supipara. (I've ordered a physical edition of ef, I hope that it doesn't disappoint me!)

tl;dr: Comfy game, not great but comfy. Pretty art. Play if you are bored, want to laugh and don't have anything else to play. Don't expect much from it. And especially don't expect drama.

Edited by nekofuwafuwa

Phew! Yesterday I finally finished ChuSinGura46+1 and wow, was that a long one!

And while there is no doubt that this VN can be called epic it was also far from perfect. Although many aspects are hard to judge because of one thing - the horrible translation! Now I am really not very strict about translations. If I see little errors here and there I don't mind. But this TL (Steam version) was extremely bad. Most of the times I could imagine what the translator was trying to tell me but there were points where it was just gibberish. I am not a native English-speaker but I am sure it would have been a lot better if I had done some proof-reading. It seems to me like this was translated by someone whose native language is definitely not English. But I will try to still be objective about the game since the translation is not really a part of it.

About the story: The VN is about the MC shifting back in time to the timeline where the story of the 47 ronins happens. He lives through that happening 5 times (5 chaptrers) and uncovers a conspiracy surrounding the events. While lots of the events and acting characters are authentic the conspiracy thing is fiction AND of course the 47 ronins being almost exclusively female is also fiction. Other than that many historic details are integrated in the story.

The story is usually quite exciting to follow and uncovering the different happenings in the various time loops and getting to know each of the ronins is fun. The sword fights and duels are also well made and well placed, not too many of them so that it never gets boring. But there are also a few moments where the story seems to drag on (for me mainly in the 3rd and 5th chapter). The conclusion of the story is technically well made and fun to read although I still think there are many questions left open and things unexplained (but perhaps it was the bad TL?).

In the romance department I have mixed feelings. I played the Steam all ages version and the romance with the heroines (each loop has a different love interest) seemed ok although sometimes the MC seemed extremely dumb (especially in Yasubee's route) while Chikara behaved totally strange in her route (she seems completely different in the other routes). It was also the first time in a VN where I was asking myself if I missed something because of a cut out h scene (4th chapter) as the relationship between the characters seemed quite different afterwards (don't want to spoil who it is ;))

The cast of characters is HUGE! And they are well drawn and interesting and likable (well, most of them). I really enjoyed the diversity of characters in this game and there are still new characters showing up in the 5th chapter.

I liked these 4 characters most:

• Yasubee: She was the only main heroine I really got into. I liked her honesty and clear principles, but also her cool-headedness when needed and I think her route was the best.
  • Sayo: She was a very sharp and cute character. How she always gets her point across and realizes what's going on is really cool. Well done making such a young character so interesting and enjoyable!
  • Fuwa Kazuemon: A pity she didn't get highlighted more. I found Fuwa a very funny character with her wild manners. Yet, although she seemed so unruly at times she was probably the most loyal character of all.
  • Shimizu Ichigaku: An beautifully drawn character that perfectly fits the role of the villain. I liked her looks, her behavior and also her voice acting. Simply awesome!

All that said I wish there would have been a bit more of an epilogue. I was surprised that the game ended where it ended :o

Oh and btw. this is actually a kinetic VN. There is one choice (ha, that was almost shocking :D) in the third chapter, but that's it.

So, I will be moving on now to read https://watercress.itch.io/this-was-for-you before I start another long-term project!

Edited by AustriaVNFan

Finished Eden yesterday. I loved it, but it's the only visual novel I can think of that probably would have benefited from an open ending. It would have been perfect if they'd just ended it after

Spoiler

the scene at the lake, where Ryou and Sion kiss for the first time, and then leave it up to the reader to decide how the rest of their lives are spent.

I'm looking forward to ef now, which I'll be reading after I'm done with Lucy: The Eternity She Wished For.

7 minutes ago, Seraphim88 said:

Finished Eden yesterday. I loved it, but it's the only visual novel I can think of that probably would have benefited from an open ending. It would have been perfect if they'd just ended it after

Hide contents

the scene at the lake, where Ryou and Sion kiss for the first time, and then leave it up to the reader to decide how the rest of their lives are spent.

I'm looking forward to ef now, which I'll be reading after I'm done with Lucy: The Eternity She Wished For.

Spoiler

Had a small discussion here with another guy, but did the vn make it look like the meteor was about to hit or miss? I seem to recall that at the very end it seemed like the meteor missed afterall.

Spoiler

It is never clearly stated what that red thing in the sky actually is. Ryou and Sion speculate that whatever it is will most likely still be there once the world ends, meaning it probably isn't a meteor, since a meteor wouldn't stay the same after colliding with Earth.
Anyway, meteor or not, I didn't see anything implying that the planet survives at the end. The only thing we know for sure is that Sion passes away, and Ryou decides to keep living on for as long as he can.

EDIT: This reply ended up on a new page, so I should probably mention that the spoiler is from Eden.

Edited by Seraphim88