What are you playing?

Anyway, I'm still playing I Got Transferred to Another World with my Whole School, which is Now Located on a Giant Overpowered Whale, and...

2019-02-22-15-06-13.png

Heh, it looks like I found another Type-Moon reference. :vanilla:

Anyway, this game is definitely fun. The story overall is a lot more fleshed out than in Aselia, but it also lacks ambition, so the result is more or less the same, maybe a bit worse. The first 4 chapters were pretty episodic, each focused on adding a new heroine to the protag's harem, and the story was pretty lighthearted overall. Then it suddenly turned a lot darker and more focused on the overarching story, and it this point it finally started to feel like I'm playing a sequel rather than just another game by the same authors. At the same time, technically this game is a huge improvement over Aselia, and the gameplay is also flashed out a bit. I'm actually impressed how many voice actors I'm already familiar with by their later (or earlier) works. As for the character sprites, faces of some characters look a bit too similar, but overall they look nice. At first I wasn't a fan of the new map movement system, but it turned out that you just need to get used to it.

Spoiler

2019-02-13-11-56-38.png

Well, I didn't think that a fanservice scene could bring me so many feels. :yumiko:

2019-02-21-11-22-46.png

I wonder, is Narukana somehow related to Orupha?

Edited by Dreamysyu
What's English?

If you want understand some heroines backstories (Naya and Ruputna (Same seiyuu as Orpha)) then you better read their skill description because Xuse did write their background in there. How Xuse can decide to do that is a mystery, but I assume that they may run on time constraint so that they didn't have time to implement the backstories into the routes.

I think I'm around the middle of Heart of the Woods and it's awesome. Wonderfully produced, full of mystery and I've just stumbled in it upon one of the most interesting plot twists I've seen in a while. It's exactly what I hoped it to be: the polish of Highway Blossoms coupled with bold storytelling that makes the whole thing feel much more fresh and original. I'm still yet to experience things I've seen reviewers complaining about, but if it continued with the same level of enjoyment and quality till the end, I'd seriously consider giving it a 5/5 rating. And not just because of my yuri bias, as so far the romance is far from being its main focus.

Spoiler

I just hope they don't just plain reverse Maddie dying. I can't imagine them doing that without the whole thing turning cheesy as fuck and losing much of its charm.

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

On 2/23/2019 at 11:13 AM, littleshogun said:

If you want understand some heroines backstories (Naya and Ruputna (Same seiyuu as Orpha)) then you better read their skill description because Xuse did write their background in there. How Xuse can decide to do that is a mystery, but I assume that they may run on time constraint so that they didn't have time to implement the backstories into the routes.

Yeah, I'm trying not to skip skill descriptions. I noticed it pretty early that many of them contain some extra information about the characters (and some of them are pretty funny). Well it's the second time when I heard that the routes for secondary heroines were pretty disappointing, so I'm not even sure if I'm going to play through them. I'll see after I finish Nozomi, Satsuki and Narukana if I'm still ready to replay the whole game 3 more times.

Also, I forgot to mention in my previous post - ToHeart is another VN (after YU-NO and AIR) voiced by Aya Hisakawa among others :wub:

Here she voices Tomoko Hoshina, Akari's class president (and one of the heroines), who speaks Kansai-ben:

6009.jpg

BTW - I have to say, that I again experience something similar as with AIR or Crescendo - the VN looks much better when I play it than on the screenshots. When seeing some screenshots on VNDB, I was worried a bit about character design, but as I'm reading, they look fine.

Edited by adamstan

2 hours ago, PrincessOfFinch said:

Playing 428: Tokyo Scramble. I wanted something different from the other VNs I'm playing :)

Isn't it Shibuya (instead of Tokyo)? Anyways, I hope you like it!  It's probably one of the only few VNs which make full good use of the branching system and does it very effectively, unlike so many other VNs with arbitrary choices

Edited by wei123

Read and finished Fatal Twelve over the last couple of days. I really liked it. Building a Battle Royale scenario around the regrets of people who already died, despite being not exactly revolutionary, is an interesting spin on the genre, allowing the storytelling to focus on the characters instead of action and suspense (although there still is plenty of both). And the characters (at least the ones that make it beyond the first few rounds) really are Fatal Twelve's strong suit, especially the ones who are framed as villains at the beginning. I wasn't that much into the love interest, but I think that's due to personal tastes and not bad writing.

The only weak part in FT is its final act, which is too reliant on info-dumping and deus-ex-machinas. But it's not that long anyways, so I don't care that much.

45 minutes ago, wei123 said:

Isn't it Shibuya (instead of Tokyo)? Anyways, I hope you like it!  It's probably one of the only few VNs which make full good use of the branching system and does it very effectively, unlike so many other VNs with arbitrary choices

Haha yeah, it is, I just fixed it. Huh, really? I'm only at the intro but it's pretty interesting so far :)

Just finished Majikoi and about to start on S

Spoiler

Well, that was a terrible ending for a true route. I did like the route in itself, but it was the usual farewell thing with people saying their farewells as they go their different ways (even though none are even done with school). Yamato is without a gf and while the route itself was pretty awesome, it did make for a rather bad ending. True heroine where art thou? Well, hopefully S makes this ending somewhat better.

Finished playing Sound Of The Drop and I have to say that I quite liked it though I wasn't blown away by it. A lot of the horror seemed a bit goofy and the ending wasn't mesmerizing. What I think is remarkable is that they were able to improve so much with Fatal 12.

Also this marks 100 vns I've managed to play so far it's kind of hard to believe that I took this long to get there(Though I was on a long sabbatical from the genre.)

Edited by Ranzo

I'm an hour-or-so into Rewrite and I'm already sick of using the map. It's beyond me how anyone could think it would be a good idea to force the player to move the mouse cursor over basically every pixel on the map in order to find hidden map points. This isn't the right way to implement gameplay elements in a visual novel.

Are any of these map points actually required to get quests and whatnot, or can I safely ignore them without missing anything else than some additional dialogue?

EDIT: I just got a friend addition from one of those map points, so it seems some of them are mandatory in order to fill out the memory list, meaning I'll actually have to scour the entire map in search of them.
This VN has given me a pretty terrible first impression. I sincerely hope there aren't any other tedious elements I'll have to endure.

Edited by Seraphim88

1 hour ago, Seraphim88 said:

Are any of these map points actually required to get quests and whatnot, or can I safely ignore them without missing anything else than some additional dialogue?

EDIT: I just got a friend addition from one of those map points, so it seems some of them are mandatory in order to fill out the memory list, meaning I'll actually have to scour the entire map in search of them.
This VN has given me a pretty terrible first impression. I sincerely hope there aren't any other tedious elements I'll have to endure.

Yeah, if you want to truly complete everything (and in particular, if you want to get the joke ending) you have to do literally everything... but I dunno how feasible that even is on your own. I basically did what you said you're doing, and I still missed a bunch of things. You've got two reasonable options:

• use an online guide, which will suck all the joy out of it
  • accept that you don't need to see everything and that the game tells a whole and complete story without needing to see the joke ending (this is what I did)

And I suppose a third option where you first do the second bullet point, and then do the first bullet point because you feel you really need to see the joke ending.

3 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Yeah, if you want to truly complete everything (and in particular, if you want to get the joke ending) you have to do literally everything... but I dunno how feasible that even is on your own. I basically did what you said you're doing, and I still missed a bunch of things. You've got two reasonable options:

• use an online guide, which will suck all the joy out of it
  • accept that you don't need to see everything and that the game tells a whole and complete story without needing to see the joke ending (this is what I did)

And I suppose a third option where you first do the second bullet point, and then do the first bullet point because you feel you really need to see the joke ending.

There is a forth option and it is to download a 100% save after they have finished the vn and get it that way. That's what I did since there was no way in hell I would jump all those exhausting hoops.

3 hours ago, Seraphim88 said:

I'm an hour-or-so into Rewrite and I'm already sick of using the map. It's beyond me how anyone could think it would be a good idea to force the player to move the mouse cursor over basically every pixel on the map in order to find hidden map points. This isn't the right way to implement gameplay elements in a visual novel.

If you are feeling irritated, you can safely skip those imo. There are some hilarious scenes that you can only see if you look for these markers, but they aren't required for the main story. And you can't even find all of them if you don't complete all routes of the game beforehand.

As for the joke ending, I personally never got that. It's supposed to be the best thing ever or something, but to reach it you literally need to find absolutely every marker in the game, so I just didn't bother with that (and I was too stubborn to just get the 100% save file).

Thanks for the answers! I've decided to not worry about it too much for now and just do whatever stuff shows up on the map while I'm heading for my destination. If I have the patience for it, I might use a guide to go back and do it all after I'm done with the main story, or maybe I'll just pick up a 100% file by then to watch that ending you've mentioned.