What are you playing?

Rereading princess evangile and i certainly didnt remember the common route being this terrible. The main heroines are fine, but a few side heroines are pretty damn despicable, and the MC is a bottom tier protagonist personality wise. He's a capable fighter but thats all he's got going for him. He's pretty damn stupid in conversations and doesnt bring anything to them and acts like a major cuck when said despicable characters act abusive. He just takes it without resisting or really complaining.

The vn at this point emphasises the fact that everyone should fit and not be treated as outsiders, but MC is treated like a antibiotic resistant bacteria through the common route as he's often left out.

The common route has a lot to be desired, but its a good thing i like all of the main heroines and a few of the side ones.

4 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

He just takes it without resisting or really complaining.

I think this is one of the reasons that he is being compared to Jesus by many characters in story... PE borrows many elements from christianity (starting with the setting), and, while most characters aren't christians themselves, they are influenced by it to various degrees. In case of MC, that's seems to be "Love thy enemies" (and forgive).

It becomes less and less popular, being replaced by "Be good only to those that deserve it, and never forgive" philosophy, which is almost exact opposite.

So while his attitude might be simply in conflict with readers' philosophy, I think it isn't the case of bad writing.

And, I think there's another, more mundane reason he doesn't complain too much - he considers his situtation to be still better than the alternative - being completely broke, chased by a mob, living in run-down room.

And, when it really matters, he can be firm and act quickly - but that shows more during the routes than in common. He still isn't run-of-the-mill totally spineless/donkan eroge protag.

4 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

He's pretty damn stupid in conversations and doesnt bring anything to them

With this I have to agree at least in part - about not bringing much to conversations most of the times. But then - as it's explicitly mentioned many times - he's kind of newbie when it comes to interacting with girls, due to his previous circumstances, so he's at least partially justified ;) At least, for me it's relatable.

Edited by adamstan

3 hours ago, adamstan said:

I think this is one of the reasons that he is being compared to Jesus by many characters in story... PE borrows many elements from christianity (starting with the setting), and, while most characters aren't christians themselves, they are influenced by it to various degrees. In case of MC, that's seems to be "Love thy enemies" (and forgive).

It becomes less and less popular, being replaced by "Be good only to those that deserve it, and never forgive" philosophy, which is almost exact opposite.

So while his attitude might be simply in conflict with readers' philosophy, I think it isn't the case of bad writing.

And, I think there's another, more mundane reason he doesn't complain too much - he considers his situtation to be still better than the alternative - being completely broke, chased by a mob, living in run-down room.

And, when it really matters, he can be firm and act quickly - but that shows more during the routes than in common. He still isn't run-of-the-mill totally spineless/donkan eroge protag.

With this I have to agree at least in part - about not bringing much to conversations most of the times. But then - as it's explicitly mentioned many times - he's kind of newbie when it comes to interacting with girls, due to his previous circumstances, so he's at least partially justified ;) At least, for me it's relatable.

When you move into a room and 2 girls barge in and force you to take off your clothes and leave the room in your underwear, you tell them to piss off pretty harshly, or pull them out of the room if they're stubborn. Its not a funny scene, i wonder if it was supposed to be.

And yes, he's pretty donkan alright. Chicho and Rise were arguing which fight was the most dangerous and save worthy. He just stood there thinking and saying things like "huh?" "What are you talking about?" "I dont get it" Obviously he was their knight in shining armor and they were somewhat jealous at each other. Its fine to wonder if a girl is into you at that point.

7 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

When you move into a room and 2 girls barge in and force you to take off your clothes and leave the room in your underwear, you tell them to piss off pretty harshly, or pull them out of the room if they're stubborn. Its not a funny scene, i wonder if it was supposed to be.

Well, he was "nobody" there at that moment - just moved in, and his status was pretty low.  I'm surprised that you're quoting this scene - I thought that this was about some more serious cases happening later on ;) If he did what you suggest, it would be the end of the story, as he would got expelled immediately for assaulting student council members. You're completely disregarding the setting ;)

As for the purpose of this scene - I think it was meant as a device to introduce us to Ruriko ;)

7 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

Its fine to wonder if a girl is into you at that point.

I think he starts to wonder, but at the same time tends to overthink things, and because of that never be sure. I know that feeling all too well... "Does she like me? Looks like she does, but what if I'm mistaken? Better wait.." - and then years go by, and nothing happens...

At least he finally gets it ;)

Edited by adamstan

11 minutes ago, adamstan said:

Well, he was "nobody" there at that moment - just moved in, and his status was pretty low.  I'm surprised that you're quoting this scene - I thought that this was about some more serious cases happening later on ;) If he did what you suggest, it would be the end of the story, as he would got expelled immediately for assaulting student council members. You're completely disregarding the setting ;)

As for the purpose of this scene - I think it was meant as a device to introduce us to Ruriko ;)

I think he starts to wonder, but at the same time tends to overthink things, and because of that never be sure. I know that feeling all too well... "Does she like me? Looks like she does, but what if I'm mistaken? Better wait.." - and then years go by, and nothing happens...

At least he finally gets it ;)

If he was tossed out, wouldnt that be fine? Better than being treated like trash.

Anyway, he most certainly wouldnt be tossed out. They disregarded his privacy and, im sure you can twist it into sexual harassment. And im sure its still illegal to search through someones room like that. It wasnt even a routine thing, just something at the spurr of the moment to find dirt on him.

Well, protag should have put his foot up their ass and tossed them out. He would not have been kicked out.

Edited by Stormwolf

You're speaking like it was set in your world, but it isn't ;) That's why I'm saying you're disregarding the setting.

Just now, Stormwolf said:

They disregarded his privacy and, im sure you can twist it into sexual harassment.

In US or EU - probably yes. But not in Vincennes ;) I still think they would toss him out - they were just waiting for the pretext.

Just now, adamstan said:

You're speaking like it was set in your world, but it isn't ;) That's why I'm saying you're disregarding the setting.

In US or EU - probably yes. But not in Vincennes ;) I still think they would toss him out - they were just waiting for the pretext.

You're forgetting about Rise's grandmother. If Mc did suddenly grow some brain cells then he would get away pretty easily, as no sane individual would accept something like that. I know i sure wouldn't, and he beeing as green as he was, shouldn't either.

13 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

You're forgetting about Rise's grandmother.

Fair point. OTOH - she wasn't omnipotent either, as there was whole board. But yeah, it could have gone either way.

13 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

no sane individual would accept something like that.

I think that's too strong - or there are way too many insane people in this world. I would probably be similar to him - deciding it's not worth making the fuss and making more enemies right from the beginning in a new place. And simply being too shy to act violently against them. But I indeed may be not completely normal, so that doesn't count :P

BTW isn't it pretty well known phenomenon, that it's easier to bully new people in any environment, because often they aren't feeling confident?

Edited by adamstan

She's not omnipotent, but you dont have to be to defend a person who had resisted such a scenario. Only way i see it going wrong is if he used violence. 

And i agree somewhat that i'd be at a loss if it happened irl at that age. Hmm. I think i might have conceded to them searching the room, but walking out or stripping me and forcing me out would certainly piss me off seriously. Yeah, i would have pushed them out of the room if they were acting like those two.

Just finished Akari's route in Kono Oozora - Cruise Sign. I'm so glad they gave her a route, (and that it wasn't just a really short, one hour thing. Took me around five hours to finish the whole thing.)  Akari is such a cute character. This was definitely a route that benifited from being all-ages, (despite this originally being an eroge.) The romance between Aoi and Akari was super cute, and she really isn't the type of girl who'd jump in bed with a guy 2 minutes after a confession scene. (Unlike... all other moege heroines. Sluts :makina: )

The route seems to follow Kotori's route, but with a "what if Kotori and Aoi just stayed good friends, and he was up for grabs?! :illya:" scenario. Enter Akari. The route starts with her coming with Aoi to the club room to watch over the soaring club's club activities. (As she is the student council president.) She and Aoi spend some time alone, and she realizes that she has a bit of a crush on him. She then gets super jealous watching Aoi hang out with his female club members, (which is pretty cute, lol), and she goes to Kanako for advice on what to do next. Insert not a great plan meme w

It was overall just a really wholesome and cute route, which is very fitting for Akari. There's a little drama towards the end, (luckily not really involving their relationship, but in general around the soaring club and the stupid teacher trying to stop them, ) + enough adorable moments with Akari to give you diabetes a hundred times over:

Spoiler

G34q2ga.jpg

TL: *Adorable, flustered noises* (/ω\)

XltD2oH.jpg

TL: "Dummy, Dummy, Dummy, Dummy, Dummy, Dummy!"

2U8jX8b.jpg

TL: Adorable noises AND a dummy. Lol.

I... won't lie, I cried a little towards the end. But, I'm a real sofite, especially when it comes to this game. Overall, it was a very solid route, which should have been a part of the original game, tbh. Or, at the very least, a part of the original fandisk. It's a shame that it's only available on a PS3/PSvita port, as that makes the chances of a TL even slimmer. (For those wondering, no, Moenovel are not TLing this route, as they are working with the normal fandisk, Flight Diary, not Cruise Sign.) If you do have a PSvita though, and speak Japanese, I strongly recommend you pick this version up. Not just for Akari's route, but just for what is probably the most complete version of Kono Oozora out there. (It has so many nice, new features, + added content where H is missing, AND totally new content which isn't in the other versions of the game, like this route.)

Anyways, here's some of my favorite CGs / moments from the route: (Spoilers, obviously.)

Spoiler

4V2NrIA.jpg

TL: "FLYYYYYYYYY!"

Akari watching from the ground as Aoi and Kotori take off towards the morning glory, after having helped the soaring club gather enough people to take off manually with a wire, after their winch is taken by the teachers. She also gives a very good and emotional speech before this, which is probably among my favorite moments in the whole game overall.

oO53eGr.jpg

First kissing scene, PYAA! :sacchan:

sDQmDVp.jpg

TL: "Are we in the air already?"

Akari joining Aoi for a test flight, before they get together.

08PCtKA.jpg

Emegehrd, too cute! I'm glad H-scenes didn't ruin this wholesome route /10 (/ω\)

8 hours ago, Dergonu said:

If you do have a PSvita though, and speak Japanese, I strongly recommend you pick this version up. Not just for Akari's route, but just for what is probably the most complete version of Kono Oozora out there.

Another reason to learn Japanese added to the list, thanks. Pity that's console exclusive :(

But it seems that it is compatible with RPCS3 emulator... a glimpse of hope.
cruisesign.png

But still, if I'm not mistaken, it means no text-hooking option :( But I may give it a go some day.

Come on Pulltop/5pb, PS3 is dead, it's time to give us PC port of Cruise Sign! (and then translate it, dammit!)

Funny thing, I did quick search for "Cruise Sign PS3" on ebay, and some japanese used game stores list it as "If My Heart Had Wings ~Cruise Sign~" ;) Get a hint, Pulltop!

Edited by adamstan

3 hours ago, adamstan said:

Funny thing, I did quick search for "Cruise Sign PS3" on ebay, and some japanese used game stores list it as "If My Heart Had Wings ~Cruise Sign~" ;) Get a hint, Pulltop!

Heh, yeah, I talk a lot of shit about Moenovel, (which they deserve,) but I do have to give it to them; I really like the title "If My Heart Had Wings." It's very fitting for the game, and is honestly much better than (rough TL of the JP title:) Spread Your Wings In This Vast Sky. (Or, their own literal TL, which hurts my soul a little: "Extend The Little Wings Which Fly In The Sky Highly." Pls no..)

40 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

I really like the title "If My Heart Had Wings." It's very fitting for the game, and is honestly much better than (rough TL of the JP title:) Spread Your Wings In This Vast Sky. (Or, their own literal TL, which hurts my soul a little: "Extend The Little Wings Which Fly In The Sky Highly." Pls no..)

Yeah, it's truly great, I love it too. If only rest of localization was of the same quality as the title :P (Unfortunately, it was rather on the level of that "internal" title translation).

I wonder if it is possible to do some text-hooking from emulators? (dunno, some kind of screen-OCR from selected area?) I'm thinking not only about Cruise Sign, but also about PC98 titles. Without texthooking, looking up unknown words is royal PITA, especially unvoiced lines...

Edited by adamstan

37 minutes ago, adamstan said:

Yeah, it's truly great, I love it too. If only rest of localization was of the same quality as the title :P (Unfortunately, it was rather on the level of that "internal" title translation).

I wonder if it is possible to do some text-hooking from emulators? (dunno, some kind of screen-OCR from selected area?) I'm thinking not only about Cruise Sign, but also about PC98 titles. Without texthooking, looking up unknown words is royal PITA, especially unvoiced lines...

I have no idea. Have never even used an emulator before.

But, for what it's worth, looking up new words when reading a game is a great way to learn, even though it does feel very slow at first. (+ Having a game you really want to play that's only available in JP is a good motivator for studying. :P ) Wanting to read the If My Heart Had Wings fandisk was actually one of the reasons I started learning Japanese, and Kanako's route was among the first things I ever read in Japanese after having studied for a bit. It certainly helped motivate me! :sacchan:

7 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Wanting to read the If My Heart Had Wings fandisk was actually one of the reasons I started learning Japanese, and Kanako's route was among the first things I ever read in Japanese after having studied for a bit. It certainly helped motivate me!

I started because of the IMHHW itself, after learning how bad original translation was, and not knowing at that moment if or when retranslation patch would come out. And yeah, that's indeed great motivation.

After all, ReTL patch was faster than my learning, but in the meantime many other titles joined my untranslated want-to-read-list, so I'm not giving up ;)

7 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

But, for what it's worth, looking up new words when reading a game is a great way to learn, even though it does feel very slow at first.

True.

Edited by adamstan

Playing Noraneko and its sequel, from what I hear it was a good moege and for a moege it was quite good. Still, I was frustrated since I felt like I was seeing wasted potential. It had interesting characters with backgrounds worth exploring if played seriously but was used only for like a few seconds and suddenly a funny scene out of nowhere. The first Noraneko had a certain short serious scene about Yuuki and Kuroki. Some readers would recognize what I'm talking about since it was actually quite interesting and gave them interesting backgrounds. 

Spoiler

Kuroki with her parent problems. Part of the reason I found this so interesting is that not many novels actually talk about Kuroki's reaction. It was actually realistic since I do the same thing since my parents were also separated and complain about each other. 

Yuuki no matter how bullied or made fun of just laughed when she was being bullied around. She didn't fight back. Also why the hell did she try to work in tokyo. Looking forward to playing their routes and afraid of how they'll make a joke of their issues.

Spoilers for that scene (it's not heavy spoilers anyway since it's part of the common route early on.) Those issues felt like something that can have depth unlike other moege issues for example, The heroine with a disease that isn't explained much but used as a tool by the plot or with parent issues that has a stupid reason and unrealistic reactions.

Finished Patricia's route and it was as expected. It's not amazing but it's good. 

Things it should have done

-Place Comedy and Serious scenes better. Sometimes it goes for a serious topic then suddenly they joke around and return to the serious scene breaking the atmosphere. It's really hard to get into the game when you don't know what it's trying to do.

-Should have went for something usual nakiges do. A lot of funny scenes in the start to get attached to the characters. I actually found the game funny and the characters interesting except Ida who felt like was written in the game because there wasn't a male best friend character. This game had a lot of potential for drama which it ignored. 

Only wished with Patricia's route so my thoughts may change further on. Skimmed the CG's for Noraneko 2 and found some interesting CG's for Lucia's route so gonna finish her route first and then Iris' (since she felt interesting) and then go back to the first game to finish the rest of the routes. Also I was surprised when there was a sudden animated CG during one of the battle. It was a good animated cg but why? 

Unexpectedly wrote a lot but I was really frustrated at the wasted potential.