What are you playing?

As for Misa's route, I think it would be better if we play that as the first route seeing that it's the lowest in one of the available review. Although perhaps the right word here would be rushed seeing that both of Ryousuke and Misa did have least interaction in the common route (I may be wrong about this), but in the end it's still interesting though with the things like Marinpia revival and more importantly no drama like HatsuKoi. As for Rikka's, it's believed to be the best route in Hoshiori here although in regard of other characters inclusion I'll see about it later. About in regard of whether it'll be better to learn Japanese or read it translated, I would say that you can read it translated (ie just wait for the full patch).

PS - Still waiting for Touko's patch here because I decided to read her route next.

Edited by littleshogun

Spoiler alert about Rikka's route, even though i'm not really that far into it!

Hino is really a different character in this route. He goes from being one who does what needs to be done (like in the other routes) to a donkan and somewhat hetare protagonist similar to Yuuma in Hoshiori. First he wants a girlfriend, and that's all fine and good. Then he enjoys watching Rikka but doesn't know what he's feeling (like some robot) and that drags on forever. When he finally mans up, he wusses out and asks her out via his mobile. He's certainly a different person in this route compared to the other's i've read.

The other characters act like side characters in a typical anime so far, and Hino acts like a typical anime protagonist. He's on a first date with Rikka, finds out that it's her birthday, naturally he needs to invite everyone to party and for all we know, cancel their first date from that point. Then after over a month of not having their first kiss, it's interrupted by everyone watching and saying stupid stuff just to interrupt. 

Yeah, people might call this the best route because there are seriously some cute stuff as well, but damn has it been bogged down by anime cliches, protagonist being bad, side characters taking up too much space.

Edited by Stormwolf

Playing ChuSinGura 46+1 Bushi no Kodou . I actually haven't finished the main game yet still in chapter 4 but I heard there was a shinpachi route here that continues off from the chapter 3 of the game so no spoilers I guess. Spoiler-ish thoughts:

Spoiler

The beginning of the game shows their daily married couple's life. Asking Suguha for his regrets of being with Shinpachi and ofcourse suguha does not regret as he is happy right now. Then proceeds to narrate and show this CG which just warms the hell out of my cold heart and also hurts me knowing how their canon story ends. https://imgur.com/a/f29uVsu

it assumes that you werent randomly sabbed by Shinpachi in the bad endAlso

12 minutes ago, Larxe1 said:

Playing ChuSinGura 46+1 Bushi no Kodou . I actually haven't finished the main game yet still in chapter 4 but I heard there was a shinpachi route here that continues off from the chapter 3 of the game so no spoilers I guess. Spoiler-ish thoughts:

Reveal hidden contents

The beginning of the game shows their daily married couple's life. Asking Suguha for his regrets of being with Shinpachi and ofcourse suguha does not regret as he is happy right now. Then proceeds to narrate and show this CG which just warms the hell out of my cold heart and also hurts me knowing how their canon story ends. https://imgur.com/a/f29uVsu

it assumes that you werent randomly sabbed by Shinpachi in the bad endAlso

Are you just playing Shinpachi's route? Because you should absolutely NOT play the main story in Bushi no Kodou yet, as it is a direct sequel to CSG, and will spoil lots of stuff from Ch.5.

If you're just playing Shinpachi's route, then it's... kinda fine, I guess. The route is brilliant, in my opinion. Probably among my favorite parts of the whole game. (The fandisk.)

That being said, there is actually one fairly big thing about Bushi no Kodou, including Shinpachi's route, you won't understand without reading the whole game, so if you want me to tell you that, I can, but know that it will be a spoiler for the fandisk, and in a way, for the main game's conclusion. I honestly recommend going back to the main game first, and doing the fandisk after, if you haven't gotten too far in yet.

But here goes, (spoilers ahead, obviously)

Spoiler

Suguha has to go home to the real world, and will eventually be phased there automatically. Time basically wants to fix itself, and will send him back. But, if he vanishes from the Edo period without leaving a child behind, he himself will never have been born, as the current Suguha in the Edo period is the person who carries on the "real" Suguha's bloodline.

So, he has to have a baby with one of the heroines before he is sent back.

(He does NOT know this at the time of Shinpachi's route, as... well, I won't spoil the details, but someone else tells Suguha this, and that has not happened yet in the Shinpachi route timeline. And since he is alone in the mountains with Shinpachi, they never will. 

Just now, Dergonu said:

Are you just playing Shinpachi's route? Because you should absolutely NOT play the main story in Bushi no Kodou yet, as it is a direct sequel to CSG, and will spoil lots of stuff from Ch.5.

If you're just playing Shinpachi's route, then it's... kinda fine, I guess. The route is brilliant, in my opinion. Probably among my favorite parts of the whole game. (The fandisk.)

That being said, there is actually one fairly big thing about Bushi no Kodou, including Shinpachi's route, you won't understand without reading the whole game, so if you want me to tell you that, I can, but know that it will be a spoiler for the fandisk, and in a way, for the main game's conclusion. I honestly recommend going back to the main game first, and doing the fandisk after, if you haven't gotten too far in yet.

But here goes, (spoilers ahead, obviously)

Reveal hidden contents

Suguha has to go home to the real world, and will eventually be phased there automatically. Time basically wants to fix itself, and will send him back. But, if he vanishes from the Edo period without leaving a child behind, he himself will never have been born, as the current Suguha in the Edo period is the person who carries on the "real" Suguha's bloodline.

So, he has to have a baby with one of the heroines before he is sent back.

(He does NOT know this at the time of Shinpachi's route, as... well, I won't spoil the details, but someone else tells Suguha this, and that has not happened yet in the Shinpachi route timeline. And since he is alone in the mountains with Shinpachi, they never will. 

Yeah just downloaded a save file and directly went to Shinpachi's afterstory. I was already spoiled by my bitch ass friend so I know how ch 5 ends. Curious about your thoughts on the heroines. Who did you like best and what whas your favorite chapter

1 minute ago, Larxe1 said:

Yeah just downloaded a save file and directly went to Shinpachi's afterstory. I was already spoiled by my bitch ass friend so I know how ch 5 ends. Curious about your thoughts on the heroines. Who did you like best and what whas your favorite chapter

Oh man, that sucks. Slap him for me :P

Hmm... I honestly can't decide whay my favorite chapter is. I just love them all, tbh. For what I think about them:

Spoiler

Chapter 1 is just overall really solid, and is probably what I'd consider the most "true" chapter. Kuranosuke is definitely my favorite of the heroines. I also love the way Suguha grows over the chapter. Really just a perfect introduction to the game universe overall.

Chapter 2 is the most heartbreaking of them all. I mean... ugh. Between Koheita dying in your arms and having to watch Yasubee scream and cry as Suguha disappeared left me crying like a little girl.
Though, as horrible as it sounds, I really liked how Suguha went back thinking he could just fix everything himself, and wound up basically making everything worse. It's nice to see a time travel story where the protag can't just magically fix everything. Truly a good, (and sad,) chapter.

I wasn't that big on chapter 3 at first. Matsunojou wasn't my favorite girl by any means, and her silly attempts ay seducing Suguha at first just seemed kinda... dumb, idk. Lol. But, after Suguha loses his mind, and Chikara, (name switch.. :P ), lies inside the cottage with him in her own urine to try and feel the pain he is feeling I was like "Damn girl..." She really started growing on me after that, and wow... the ending was so beautiful. Chikara grew so much over the chapter, and when I saw her staring up at the sky in her white robe with cherry blossoms scattering around her at the end I wept like a baby. (Again.) The romance between her and Suguha was so beautiful once the silly start of the chapter was over. Overall, the story in ch.3 wasn't as great as 1-2, but man, the romance was fantastic. Ugh, just remembering when Suguha goes back to the rock where she etched in their names in the real world makes my eyes watery. :P And, ofc, Shinpachirou is amazing as well. Like I said, her route in the fandisk is among my favorites. She really needed her own chapter in the main game, tbh. But oh well, the fandisk route more than makes up for her lack of a route in the first one.

As for chapter 4, I actually really like it. Don't know how far along you are atm, so I'll just leave it there. But man, the feels... and I just love Kasumi as a character overall.

Ch.5 I won't get into mcuh either, due to spoilers. (I'm sure there's still stuff you don't know yet.) But man, I thought this ch. would be lame, and it ended up blowing me away completely. The character development for Emoshichi is just brilliant. They took a character I didn't really like at all and made her one of my favorites. Truly a great conclusion to the game.

I honestly can't rate the chapters and heroines more than that, tbh. Kuranosuke is my favorite, but other than that, I love them all equally, heroines and chapters alike. They all have their good and bad sides.

I got Steins;Gate 0 for Christmas, so I've been playing that among other things. It's interesting, but it feels a little fan fiction-y with the premise so far. Also, the art definitely seems different. Some characters look great and some not so much. The music is still pretty great and seems consistent with the first game, at least. Hopefully, it turns out to be a worthy sequel. I've avoided everything news and review wise for the VN and anime, so I could go into this one with a clean slate and I don't really know what to expect, but I am enjoying it so far.

4 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Oh man, that sucks. Slap him for me :P

Hmm... I honestly can't decide whay my favorite chapter is. I just love them all, tbh. For what I think about them: <snip>

Dergonu pretty much covered it, but yes!  Shinpachi's route in the ChuSinGura fandisk is awesome.  It wouldn't have fit in the main game, but it deserved it in terms of quality and character.  Best girl FTW.

Personally, I like Shinoachi's fandisk route best, followed by Chapter 4 (second best girl).  The main three girls all grow on you as their stories go on, but I don't think any of them can compare.

Playing Rin's route in Little Busters. Results of the Baseball match....

Pretty much they were slowly scoring (but most of the time, they wern't scoring at all). And my team wasn't scoring at all. 0-3 at one point.

Then suddenly, we scored 4 times in a single session (I yelled out when Kud crossed the line).

In the final session. 3rd and 2nd bases loaded, 2 out! 3rd batter hits the ball, runner heading towards home!...... Kurugaya catches it!! Victory!!

RNG couldn't have scripted that match any better!

As for the battle rankings, Masato ended at #1 this time. Rin actually made it to #1, but fell to 6th. She defeated Kengo twice in a row.

14 hours ago, Phantom said:

Has anyone played White Album 2? I'm interested in it, is it worth the pick up?

If you're playing the English one, i can't say much about it but from what I heard you should stay away from it. 

From my icon you can probably guess who my favorite character was. The game is absolutely phenomenal I cant stop reading it once I started it. It breaks your heart everytime but you can't stop because you want to know what's next. Don't expect to finish the game completely happy you're bound to have some holes in your heart by the end. As for me,  I stopped playing VN's for a while since I compared everything to WA2. Character depth is one of white album 2's best areas. If you want drama. this game is the apex of drama.

20 hours ago, Phantom said:

Has anyone played White Album 2? I'm interested in it, is it worth the pick up?

As for my advice here, i would suggest that you can see the translation first. And if you find the translation is quite bad, then perhaps you better stay away from this. As for the patch itself, it's still incomplete because the Coda Chapter that was still unfinished, but I think the translation is serviceable enough. Oh and if you're the type that dislike love triangle with full of angst, then perhaps you better stay away from it because the main draw of WA 2 is the dramatic love triangle coupled with Haruki's (The MC) indecisiveness.

8 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

because the main draw of WA 2 is the dramatic love triangle coupled with Haruki's (The MC) indecisiveness.

Oh geez... Another one... And i wanted to try that one too, cuz heard it's quite good. And as far as i'm correct, only the first part wasn't translated, which is not so long. So maybe it's not that important for the plot (correct me if i'm wrong). Well, now i dunno if i should read it or just watch adaptation (yes, 50+ hours VN into 13 episodes, i know, but...)

Yeah the adaptation doesn't exactly cover the 50 hours part of the vn but only the IC which is probably 10-15 hours, (Guessing here)

the first part is essential to understanding what is happening in the main WA 2 since it is the start and foundation of their long years of angst and drama

Edited by Larxe1

1 hour ago, littleshogun said:

Oh and if you're the type that dislike love triangle with full of angst, then perhaps you better stay away from it because the main draw of WA 2 is the dramatic love triangle coupled with Haruki's (The MC) indecisiveness.

Don't tell me it's on the level of School Days love triangles? Also slightly off topic but is the first White Album any good? It never got a translation but I found myself wondering why the second did but not the first.

Edited by Phantom

52 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Don't tell me it's on the level of School Days love triangles? Also slightly off topic but is the first White Album any good? It never got a translation but I found myself wondering why the second did but not the first.

School days tend to overblow the love triangle drama. It goes for shock value and lacks the depth of the love triangle in White album 2. I promise it's totally different.  

White Album is an old game and isn't exactly popular. Even with the reboot it's still a decent game according to some people but it just falls short of even reaching White Album 2. As for the translation, probably just because it's not that popular I guess?

I've been playing Tokyo Babel for a while and I finally managed to clear one route and I...kinda like it I guess. It has some really unique heroines and the general setting and lore is interesting.

What I can't really get behind 100% is the main guy Setsuna, he's pretty boring as a protag and I wish the whole game was told from Sorami's perspective instead of just the first part.

Also, some of the battles are pretty dopey and aren't written that well. The references are all also just completely all over the place and start to become a jumbled mess.

2 hours ago, Phantom said:

It's more or less like Larxe1 said, but if I may elaborate more it's not as bad as School Days considering that it didn't involved some bloody mess and messed up family setting, although you still can't avoid the love triangle though. As for first WA, I think it's quite good looking ftom VNDB average score although as far as WA2 concern, I think the development that happen between the two games were helped a lot and not to mention it took years to resolve. It also help thoght that the writer probably did put his effort into the writing alone, so that he can come up with the consistent settings.

As for why first WA never got the translation, I guess it's probably because first WA was already completed enough from the anime alone, while WA2 only adapt Introductory and ended on a bitter note so naturally the fans were trying to translated the sequel of the Introductory (Closing Chapter).

Edited by littleshogun

Just finished Rikka's route in Hoshiori.

Spoiler

Well, Rikka sure was a cutie and she was the best part of her route. I did like her sister and the fact that the rest of the cast didn't entirely vanish (although they didn't appear much at all). I'm not sure why they'd make such a detailed route for her and quick routes for the others in comparison, makes them feel cheap in comparison. They detailed a lot, but towards the end things started rushing quite a bit. Seems they had grander plans but had to wrap things up. Well, that was positives.

What i didn't like was that yet another humble piano interested girl becomes the grand world renowned pianist. It's now so cliche i wanted to vomit. She didn't have the talent, but suddenly the vn wishy washed her to become one of the best of the best. It's just not possible and they seriously undermine real talent with this. It was painfully sad how they made this kind of look like Maya's route in a way from Hatsukoi but emphasized really how the protagonist dind't want the outcome Maya got in Hatsukoi. Well. that's half a lie. He initially wasn't for it, but suddenly didn't want to stand in the way of any grand dreams she might have of of course overseas ambitions and fame. It was she herself who chose to stay with him and let the world know her from the protagonists side.

This route could have been the best of the three if it wasn't for the seriously cliche storyline. What kind of set it apart was that Rikka didn't choose to travel overseas all the time, only before they had the wedding ceremony and she got pregnant.

Marika's route is still my favorite among the translated.

I finished Wind -A Breath of Heart- .

Have to agree with @Decay, this VN has some serious pacing issues. Common route drags on and on, and then heroines' routes feel really rushed.

However, the story wasn't bad - especially sisters' (Nozomi and Wakaba) and true (Hikari's) route. But a word of warning - while on the first glance it looks like moege, this VN's specialty are bittersweet endings.

Spoiler

Nozomi dies in her (and Wakaba's) endings, but - in her route - after few happy married years with protagonist, so at least she lived fulfilled life.

And Hikari's ending should actually be called Minamo's true end. Quite nice and somehow satisfying, even if still with a bit of sadness in the background.

minamo.png

It's a nakige mixed with mystery.

Spoiler

The "1000-year curse" idea reminded me of AIR, while the structure has a bit of "multiple route mystery" to it. Also, the "girl connected with the city" theme was present in Clannad too, wasn't it? But Hikari's story is much grimer.

On the romance side - it feels a bit lacking, because routes are too rushed, but there are 3 marriage endings in this VN - nice :)

It's best to follow route order from the walkthrough attached within TL patch - Hinata -> Minamo -> Nozomi -> Wakaba -> Hikari (locked until the remaining four are completed). When following this order, city's mystery unravels the best way. (and there's bonus scene in the Wakaba's epilogue, which unlocks after completing Hinata's and Minamo's routes)

I really liked character design - again, that classic anime look - and music. Also, CGs are pretty. But - especially after Sakura Sakura, and seeing those characters, I was missing blinking and other facial animations ;)

During my first playthrough I was close to dropping it - common route really is slow and long, but in the end I liked it.

Nice idea, but with serious execution issues (that pacing!) - 7/10

Sorry if this post became a bit too chaotic...

Edited by adamstan