What are you playing?

First route cleared! šŸŽ‰Ā I decided to go with Miyazawa, a.k.a. Mother Teresa in a school uniform. It was ok. Yukine is a charming girl, thatā€™s for certain. Just a tad bland for my tastes, thatā€™s all. Kinda disappointed that nothing really happened during the route, too. Then again, Iā€™ve heard that itā€™s one of the smaller ā€œside routesā€, so I hope that the other ones will deliver more on that front...

Iā€™m debating doing Mei next. I mean, sheā€™s Sunoharaā€™s little sister, canā€™t go wrong with that ^^ Yeah, I still love him and Tomoya XD A pair of fuckinā€™ idiot children, theyā€™re great. I hope thereā€™s some good fanfiction out there

Oh yeah, since Iā€™m at it: Iā€™m really glad that this route didnā€™t turn into some love triangle drama, as I feared it would. I mean, I guess love triangles are ok if Iā€™m the one making the choice, but to rival Sunohara would just feelā€¦ Wrong, you know? So kudos for that, I guess ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

On to the next one~!

EDIT:

Spoiler

JsRsAzI.png

A real ladykiller, aren't you, Okazaki? Jesus fuck man ;v;

Ā 

Edited by Alcorin

On 12/11/2018 at 3:26 AM, Riku said:

Wow... Could it be I am actually a fast reader? Always thought I was slow because English isn't my native language (+ I'm French :p), and I have a friend who can read books that take me 4-5 hours in an hour.

Muv Luv has taken me waaay longer than 30 hours and I'm not even finished. (I'm close though and this is getting pretty epic.) I do play through things pretty leisurely, I guess. Do most people not even listen to the whole audio line before advancing? :wacko:

MLA surely took me over 70 hours, but I often read deliberately slowly so i don't miss anything

But for example, Fureraba had me advancing the text while barelyĀ readingĀ half of theĀ line during the useless narrationĀ 

Reading can vary, i guessĀ 

1 hour ago, Zidan209 said:

MLA surely took me over 70 hours, but I often read deliberately slowly so i don't miss anything

But for example, Fureraba had me advancing the text while barelyĀ readingĀ half of theĀ line during the useless narrationĀ 

Reading can vary, i guessĀ 

He estimated it took him 38 for MuvLuv AND Alternative. That just seems extremely fast to me. I rarely skip the narration, but still.

I started SukiSuki. So far, it's funny.

I'm not too fond of the backgrounds' art style - it feels a little like the art from that transitional period from pixel-art to modern style, with overuse of gradients, or looking a bit like 3d renders, but probably it's just something that needs getting used to. Classroom looks nice, but for example those logs making up the restaurant walls are pretty bad IMO. Well, nothing's perfect I guess ;)

Looking forward to see how it turns out.

Edited by adamstan

I have decided to go back and read ChuSinGura 46+1 again, thanks to talks about it I've had with @Larxe1. (Jeez, I can't believe it has been 2 years since I finished it.) Been quite ill the past week, so since I haven't been able to do any work or anything, I read a decent chunk of chapter 1 already. Probably halfway through it, at least. This is so nostalgic.

Spoiler

The part where Suguha fights off the assassin was just as badass this time as the first time I read it. Can't wait for the fight against Ichigaku during the Kira raid. That's probably one of my favorite fights in the whole game. Really not looking forward to having my heart crushed at the end of ch1, though. :cry:Ā 

Kuranosuke really is just such a perfect waifu. It's almost a bit of a shame that she is the first heroine, as you start to forget a bit about her towards the end, but at the same time, her being first does make her feel more like the "real" heroine, to me.
Then again, that's what I feel about all the girls when I play their chapter. :P

Ohh, feel train, here I come!

I'll be changing my avatar to the respective heroine for each chapter as I go through them, as they are all great waifus, and I couldn't decide which one of them I should pick. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Dergonu said:

I have decided to go back and read ChuSinGura 46+1 again, thanks to talks about it I've had with @Larxe1. (Jeez, I can't believe it has been 2 years since I finished it.) Been quite ill the past week, so since I haven't been able to do any work or anything, I read a decent chunk of chapter 1 already. Probably halfway through it, at least. This is so nostalgic.

Ā  Reveal hidden contents

The part where Suguha fights off the assassin was just as badass this time as the first time I read it. Can't wait for the fight against Ichigaku during the Kira raid. That's probably one of my favorite fights in the whole game. Really not looking forward to having my heart crushed at the end of ch1, though. :cry:Ā 

Kuranosuke really is just such a perfect waifu. It's almost a bit of a shame that she is the first heroine, as you start to forget a bit about her towards the end, but at the same time, her being first does make her feel more like the "real" heroine, to me.
Then again, that's what I feel about all the girls when I play their chapter. :P

Ohh, feel train, here I come!

I'll be changing my avatar to the respective heroine for each chapter as I go through them, as they are all great waifus, and I couldn't decide which one of them I should pick. :ph34r:

Spoiler

That fight really was awesome since you could see Suguha's potential through that scene considering he only just recently restarted practicing the sword. The villain stock phrase was funny though, the "i'll be back" and she really did come back through Suguha's back. Also love Kuranosuke's intelligence. While the other heroines weren't stupid, they were just not in the same league as Kuranosuke.

Btw, how long did you finish CSG.Ā This is probably the longest work I've played other than WA2. I played WA2 in less than a week(my reading speed was probably accelerated due to being incredibly hooked), while I probably have 30-40 hours gametime in CSG and still in chapter 2(Don't know how much of those hours were spent with the screen just being open while I play league or something).

48 minutes ago, Larxe1 said:

That fight really was awesome since you could see Suguha's potential through that scene considering he only just recently restarted practicing the sword. The villain stock phrase was funny though, the "i'll be back" and she really did come back through Suguha's back. Also love Kuranosuke's intelligence. While the other heroines weren't stupid, they were just not in the same league as Kuranosuke.

Btw, how long did you finish CSG.Ā This is probably the longest work I've played other than WA2. I played WA2 in less than a week(my reading speed was probably accelerated due to being incredibly hooked), while I probably have 30-40 hours gametime in CSG and still in chapter 2(Don't know how much of those hours were spent with the screen just being open while I play league or something).

It took me about 3 months to finish it all, I think! :P

I was studying for exams and stuff in the middle, but yeah... it took a while! (It takes a good 100 hours for a native to finish it, I'd say, so 30-40 hours for chapter 2 isn't bad at all.)

I've just finished the 4th episode and therefore the first Umineko game.

Not going to take a break at all before continuing this behemothĀ :wahaha:

Ā as if 3 huge plotges in a row could ever take me down!

As for some of my thoughts...

Spoiler

The 3rd episode is still my favorite. I didn't reallyĀ like going through Maria and Ange's backstories, which were dragging on quite a bit and interrupting the Rokkenjima events.Ā 

I've disliked Maria since the first episode and learning more about her and Rosa made me cringe. Ange's past was also cringy, because it involved Maria, but got better when it switched to actual events in the future.Ā 

The biggest shock in this episode was probably when Beatrice denied Battler. I obviously didn't believe the story would take such a turn, but felt a little scared that the game mightĀ justĀ destroyĀ everything it's built up since the start nonetheless.Ā 

I am also not sure about the end scene of Battler and Beato's fight. She said she was going to kill him, but she obviously can't actually do that, since it would suspend their game. From the way everything looked, they descended on the game board and were fighting there.Ā I might not have understood it properly, but if this was the case, then the whole game board was already removed and they were just arguing about theories. So if she was going to kill Battler, she couldn't have been talking about the one on the game board, but the one that was her opponent. So if she kills Battler, it's pointless to even give him any mystery to solve, cause he wouldn't be able to continue his fight.

Except of that, the 2 other witches were totally throwing some foreshadowings around which i can't make sense ofĀ :D

I think I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed the hell out of this VN and the OST is something extraordinary, so i'll be giving the question arc a score of 10/10.

Ā 

Edited by Zidan209

Clannad update:

I WANT TO GET OFF OKANO-SANā€™S WILD RIDE

That Sunohara route wasā€¦ It was quite something, wasnā€™t it? Ooooh boy. Iā€™m not even sure where to start. It may have been only my second route, but I hereby proclaim Mei to be Best Girlā„¢ - cute, upbeat, hardworking, dedicatedā€¦ She almost makes me wish I had a little sister myself ;w; She did not deserve any of that punishment she received for, you know, TRYING TO DO SOMETHING NICE FOR HER BROTHER?! Holy shit, did those cunts at the soccer club made me mad :reeee:Ā Sunohara for the most part was annoying as well, but at least he got better by the endā€¦ Much better, actually ^^ I think I have a newfound appreciation for him, if thatā€™s even possible at this pointā€¦ I also liked the fact that it was more of a friendship route, really. So much so that Iā€™ve got the urge to reconnect with my high school friends right now ^^ā€™ Damn you, Youhei...

Anyway, it seems like Iā€™ve underestimated this novel. Sure, it drags on at times, but when it finally goes down to business, by golly, it can certainly punch ya in the gut :pyaa:Ā Or maybe itā€™s just because I like the Sunoharas and Okazaki so much. It might just be it. I guess the best way to know is to press on and check the other routes as well, right? *nervous laugh*

But only after I will have found the joke Youhei ending. I just need it right about now, ok? I promise that Iā€™ll cool it with being an annoying fujoshi after that.

Finally resumed Chaos Child and now at Chapter 5.Ā So far I've been enjoying it. As compared to Chaos Head,Ā the atmosphere is better;Ā the protagonist is more tolerable andĀ there are more lighthearted moments. I also like the fact that skipping text won't actually skip the Delusional Triggers unlike in Chaos Head.

Anyway, based on the information I have so far, I have a theory as to who the culprit is.Ā I'm probably grasping atĀ straws here though.Ā Ā :makina:

Chaos Child Spoilers (with minor Chaos Head spoilers):

Spoiler

Culprit: Minamisawa Senri

Culprit's motive: Not sure, but maybe to get back at Serika & Takuru (?) Maybe she doesn't know how to find them, and she thought that they would get involved in a murder case if one happened to pop up, so she decided to commit some murders to draw them to her.

Accomplice:Ā Itou Shinji

Accomplice's motive: I'm not sure (maybe he likes Senri?? yes I know it sounds ridiculous but that's what literally happened in Chaos Head lol) , but I find him to beĀ somewhat suspicious in the Common Rote Bad End.

Ā 

Edited by wei123

I started Psycho-Pass. (I got the vita version for only $15 brand new!) It seems to be it's own contained story, so it could be of interest to anyone looking for a plot driven, mystery, starring grown ups, taking place in a futuristic dystopia - type thing, .Ā  It has a "TIPS" section going over any terminology you don't know or might have forgotten and really does feel like it's own standalone thing.

Ā 

On 12/12/2018 at 5:15 PM, Riku said:

No, just Alternative, not both. Muv Luv took me around 20+ hours, I think.

Also, looking at EGS, the average (and median) play time is 40 hours, so it's actually not that fast.

Oh, okay, that doesn't seem far fetched then.

Cried for the first time in a while. In chapter 2, Chusingura. Not finished yet but the emotional impact is definitely stronger.

Spoiler

Going back to the past where your love doesn't even know you well or even has a chance to love you back. It's sad but Suguha, accepted it and moved on. Failing to kill Kira and save his comrades, and having history the same as ever except now he isn't treated like one of their comrades is even sadder. I felt pity for Suguha and one of the rare protagonists I actually treated like a character in a VN and not just a blank slate or an average person to be a stand-in for wish fulfillment. However one of the breaking moments for me was Koheita's death. She was just a fun character whos happy but has a bleak environment. I've always stronglly felt for such characters. Her understandable betrayal and the things she does to have Suguha's forgiveness was heartbreaking. Breaking in the Mansion alone and seeing kira'sĀ vassals have red eyes gave me dread. Juxtaposing that scene with Yasube and Suguha's apex of happiness was harsh and finally hearing Koheita's voice crying and bloody broke me. She was too young and was forced by her circumstances.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

On 12/10/2018 at 12:53 PM, adamstan said:

Yesterday I finished rereading Princess Evangile (+ after stories from FD), to check all-ages version.

It was almost as much fun as it was the first time, almost year ago - it felt a little like returning to visit good old friends :)

TL;DR version:
Ā Ā  - best girl: Ritsuko
Ā Ā  - best route: Ayaka
Ā Ā  - best epilogue: Chiho (in FD) ;)

Wait - seriously? Wow LOL. I literally just started rereading Princess Evangile yesterday after a year and have been looking forward to doing so for the whole year, and I'm also planning on reading W Happiness after, though I'm taking a bit of a convoluted order so I can close off the reading with Rise's route (common route -> WH in reverse order, ie Marika first then the other "new" heroines then the original heroinesĀ -> Rise route from the original -> Rise's WH route) . Birds of a feather :P. That's a good way of putting it though - returning to visit good old friends. I'm finding everything I really liked about it is immediately visible and even though I know what to expect now it's still really comforting and relaxing to read.Ā Thanks for the comparison though - I've been wondering what the differences are between the versions. Seriously though - I need to be careful with reading your posts in this thread because I keep winding up learning about and wanting to read a bunch of VNs hahaha.Ā Ā 

In other news I've been reading Wagamama High Spec which I've also been really looking forward to reading, and honestly I'm really liking it though I'm sad to be getting near the end (partway through the Ashe route). It's met my expectations in some ways, but failed them in others, but I still think it's been a worthwhile read and one I'll look back on fondly. I'd expected the music, art, and general UI of the VN to be high points, and they have been (the "chaos song" for the VN is hilarious with all the whistles and drums and it fits really well). I've also liked the characters and routes, though I do feel like some of the routes are weaker than the others. Kaoruko's route would be the biggest example here, but it wasn't a bad route IMO. I was also very pleasantly surprised with the Mihiro route and would like to read a similar route in another VN - she really came into her own in the route and I liked how things were handled. The biggest disappointments I've had are two things - there aren't so many CGs (both SD and normal) which is a shame considering how good they are when they do show up. The other thing is that the buildup from feelings -> confession -> romance can come across as really quick and (to me at least) underdeveloped. I was surprised to see this as the VN nails most other things well, but it isn't a dealbreaker - just... Well, surprising. Overall I'd say 7.5 or 8 out of 10, but we'll see what happens with the Ashe route. I'll silently hope that we get the fandisc eventually (please??!?!) because it'd be great to see some of the characters (Karen especially) get routes and I would like to see what kind of hijinks the original heroines could drag Kouki intoĀ in their after routes.Ā 

I've been pretty busy IRL though, and I really think that reading it has helped to showcase something I really like about VNs: the relaxing and calming nature of some of them. Being able to fire up WagaHai and read for an hour or so before bed and/or after work to wind down has been really helpful and given me something to look forward to each day, which is something I very much appreciate.Ā Princess Evangile is already doing the same in my reread and I have full confidence that W Happiness will be no different. I do want to get back to some of the more serious, "edge-of-your-seat" VNs but for now the current ones are right up my alley.

At Chapter 9Ā  and I now have a strong conviction that the culprit is actually someone else

Spoiler

It's most probably Serika.Ā  I was always a bit suspicious as to why she didn't have her own route when I was viewing this walkthrough, but didn't think much of it cos Senri seemed more suspicious at the start. WhelpĀ I guess it's a bit too late now

Ā 

Edited by wei123

10 hours ago, Larxe1 said:

Cried for the first time in a while. In chapter 2, Chusingura. Not finished yet but the emotional impact is definitely stronger.

Going back to the past where your love doesn't even know you well or even has a chance to love you back. It's sad but Suguha, accepted it and moved on. Failing to kill Kira and save his comrades, and having history the same as ever except now he isn't treated like one of their comrades is even sadder. I felt pity for Suguha and one of the rare protagonists I actually treated like a character in a VN and not just a blank slate or an average person to be a stand-in for wish fulfillment. However one of the breaking moments for me was Koheita's death. She was just a fun character whos happy but has a bleak environment. I've always stronglly felt for such characters. Her understandable betrayal and the things she does to have Suguha's forgiveness was heartbreaking. Breaking in the Mansion alone and seeing kira'sĀ vassals have red eyes gave me dread. Juxtaposing that scene with Yasube and Suguha's apex of happiness was harsh and finally hearing Koheita's voice crying and bloody broke me. She was too young and was forced by her circumstances.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Spoiler

Oh man, Koheita's death ruined me... She was a character I found mildly annoying at first, but I started liking her after a while. Towards the end of ch2 I had taken quite a liking to her, and understood the moment she walked into Kira's residence what would happen...

I was weeping like a little girl when she dragged herself over to Suguha and collapsed in his arms. Man, chapter two did a number on me.

(Look forward to chapter 3, it also has some incredible moments. CSG is such an emotional rollercoaster.)

Ā 

Finished chapter 2 in CSG. CSG Does not dissapoint

Spoiler

The last battle became a bit chuuni for me but the emotional impact remains the same. Having Suguha die in the arms of Yasube was really painful. Yasube > Kuranosuke for me. Also curious about who the hell is the one manipulating everything and trying to make Suguha suffer. Also seeing him tired in the end felt natural. He gave everything in the 2nd cycle and pretty much history just calibrated itself and all he got rewarded with was pure despair. Having to get separated from his loved ones 2 times probably desensitized him a bit.

Ā 

22 minutes ago, Dergonu said:
Ā  Hide contents

Oh man, Koheita's death ruined me... She was a character I found mildly annoying at first, but I started liking her after a while. Towards the end of ch2 I had taken quite a liking to her, and understood the moment she walked into Kira's residence what would happen...

I was weeping like a little girl when she dragged herself over to Suguha and collapsed in his arms. Man, chapter two did a number on me.

(Look forward to chapter 3, it also has some incredible moments. CSG is such an emotional rollercoaster.)

Ā 

Ā 

Spoiler

Yeah it was amazing how someone I found mildly annoying ended up making me cry a lot. She probably really felt like a real sister that you get annoyed with her but like her anyway and my reaction to her death was some kind of proof

Ā 

Finished with Misaki's route, and therefore I'm finished with Hatsukoi Sankaime here. As for Misaki's route while I did find her situation at the beginning is quite questionable for some people, in the end I did manage to take a liking to her route. As for Misaki, she was supposed to be Taichi's first love that reject his confession before moving out, and thus indirectly motivated Taichi to enter Kirigamine and set the story in motion. While the story in Misaki's route didn't as dramatic as Himeka, I'm very content with her route because her route here is the one that sort of resolved the problem at the end of the common route in detail, namely the disappearence of Rin.

Like other VNs, in here we have three side characters. Those three were Togawa as best friend archetype, Fujisaki as odd girl archetype, and Senri as teacher archetype. Out of those three, Togawa was mostly just there being handsome and not involved too much with Taichi, Fujisaki's was sort of shoehorned into Misaki's route,Ā and Senri here was have a lot of screen time in Himeka's route. So out of those three, it's pretty obvious that Senri here is the best side character because of her role in Himeka's route, and Togawa here is the worst one because his role was too miniscule other than provided a cafe to be the basecamp of the film club (I understand though that Windmill probably want to fill the slot for male best friend archetype, but I think it would be better if Windmill did add some info for Togawa like what's his hobby or his type of girl).

Other than side characters, I think I can say that Sui's route here is the shortest one mostly because there's no drama other than usual incest taboo thing that was resolved very easily off screen. Although I understand though that the reader might find Sui's route good if they like blood imouto character, and more importantly a breather if the reader did read Sui's route after Himeka's. There's also a bit of translation problem and typo there, although it didn't matter much though because I can still enjoy the overall VN just fine. So in the end what I can say is that if you're Indonesian or can read Japanese, then you can try Sankaime here. Too bad that Sankaime here is still not available in English, but hopefully it'll be available in the future so that more people can read this.

PS - As for Misaki's seiyuu, her name is Haruka Sora which as we know is the pseudonym for Eri Sendai. As for Sendai's role, some of them were Inaba Meguru from Sanoba Witch, Kouzuki Io from Dal Segno, Tomotake Yoshino from Senren Banka, Nijouin Hazuki from Riddle Joker, Otonashi Saku from Hello Lady,Ā Suzuki Kana from Daitoshokan and Yukimura Suzuno from Witch Garden (Another Windmill VN). Also I like to note that Sendai here is also voiced Rin for the plot reason.

Ā 

Namely that both of Misaki and Rin here is the same person, and thus share the same voice. Yes, the story here is that Taichi can met with Rin because he was rejected by Misaki, and in turn causing the film club to be bonded by Rin because of the encounter. So we can say that Misaki here is the main heroine, because her action did really set the story for Sankaime in question, either as a children or indirectly as the teenager. Also Misaki here is also think that Taichi would be better with Yurino, although I understand why though because Taichi kept telling Rin that he like Yurino. As for the reason of why child Misaki who was from seven years ago (Based on Himeka's route in which she's the victim of the airplane accident at seven years ago along with Misaki)Ā managed to came to the present time, apparently the reason was because the soul didn't really bonded with time and thus can randomly appear either in the past or the futureĀ (I knew it's hard to believe).Ā 

As for Fujisaki shoehorn matter, I believe that the staff may plan her as the heroine looking from the one sex scenes that she have at the after story. That said, her ability to see Rin was only revealed to the film club at the end where they already resolved Misaki and Rin is the same person conflict, so it's not that important to me seeing that we can exclude Fujisaki's in the ending and yet it's still came off as normal. While granted that Rin need to see someone that she didn't know before returned to Misaki's body at 7 years in the past, I think Senri can sort of fulfill that role seeing that she involved with Misaki's treatment in the past and more importantly taking care the patient that did have same body as Rin (Himeka). Besides, as the researcher of spirit bode I think she should be able to see Rin's body, and that she also happen to be film club advisor. In the end, I still did like Misaki's route momentsĀ though even with Windmill shoehorned Fukisaki there, especially when Misaki spend days with TaichiĀ together before finally Misaki did confess that she was Rin to Taichi and the club member (I like that part, especially with Yurino hug Misaki and the latter is very embarrassed.

Edited by littleshogun

9 hours ago, r0xm2n said:

Finished Princess Evangile.

Wonder what I'm going to read next.....

Ā 

Just noticed Hapymaher is on discount on MangaGamer. It wasn't really on my radar ..... but it seems interesting....

I'm back after a long VN Hiatus. Speaking of Hapymaher, I kinda blame that game for making me burned out byĀ VNs for a while lol. It really felt like it took the worst of VNs and amplified it, just so many convoluted and unnecessary scenes in my opinion.Ā  On the other hand, maybe I was due for a burnout, since I was reading only VNs for a good 3-4 months.Ā 

I'm reading Sekien no Inganock now.Ā  So far, it has reminded me why I like VNs as a format.Ā  It really pulls you into the world just by the sound effects and visuals, while also making you use your imagination.Ā  It has some niceĀ exposition like a manga would, without cutting out details like an anime.Ā  Yet it doesn't have the lack of immersion that a manga might have.Ā  Best of both worlds, you could say.

Edited by PiggiesGoMoo

Started reading ......... Little Busters!

Time to get punched in the feels another 40 times? This is a KEY VN afterall.....

Ā 

Well so far, I like the slice of life elements between the group (it's also refreshing to have quite a few supporting male leads).

The Pokemon style "battles" between characters are amusing :wahaha: