What are you playing?

Finally got started with Clannad. Too bad that I can only read it when I'm home alone, since I keep screaming at the screen... Yeah, I don't take second-hand embarrassment too well, and Sunohara is the goshdarned master of it. I mean, I like him - he's like that small dumb puppy that thinks it's a wolf and keeps getting chased by the neighbor's bulldog... But damn, are some of the scenes where he gets in trouble hard to read (for me, at least). Also, both him and Tomoya are arseholes. Likable arseholes, but still arseholes. I don't really have an opinion on the girls yet, since I've only met 4 so far, and just for a little while each (Tomoyo and the dorm mom whose name I don't remember yet seem pretty cool, tho). I wonder what's the deal with the dead world, too. It seems so out of place... We'll see, we'll see.

Ah, as a side note - I've finished Kokonoe Kokoro the other day. Man, was it painfully generic. I don't think that the script was even written with having a monster girl heroine in mind, it was just the plainest, most boring high school romance I've ever read. The fact that Kokoro is a giant fuckin' grasshopper didn't come up even once! I know that it'll sound pathetic, but I'm disappointed. Like yeah, I know, what the heck did I expect, but if Hatoful Boyfriend could do it, then Kokonoe Kokoro could too. Shame.

25 minutes ago, Alcorin said:

Also, both him and Tomoya are arseholes. Likable arseholes, but still arseholes

Yeah, I did feel like he (and especially Sunohara) were acting like dicks... but in a way, that's also why I felt myself relating to them when I was a kid, because they have such a flawed and selfish personality, almost antisocial, not caring about others. That kind of bitter resentment towards everyone reflected my own, so it felt comforting in a way.

Tomoya even admitted that he knew he was acting like an antisocial arsehole, indifferent to society and everyone. They were pretty much delinquents, especially Sunohara. I don't think you're even supposed to treat them as a better human being than that, especially Sunohara (in spite of his role as comic relief).

Edited by LemiusK

Played Sakura Sakura (Translated) and it's fandisc which was incredibly hard to find. The fandisc is still untranslated but it doesn't really continue from any of the paths. 

Loved Nanako-sensei character, perfect fit for my tastes in heroines also a calming voice that fits her well. I didn't play Naoki's route since I was impatient to play the afterstory for Nanako. Finished it in one day and and made me love Nanako more.

The fandisk is based around Tooru with his indecisiveness multiplied by a hundred. There are a lot of joke choices that shows how indecisive he is. Nanako and Sakura are sick of his indecisiveness and go full attack mode on Tooru so it's so heart-achingly sweet. When they finally get together, there's an h scene. And then another H-scene. And then a short epilogue. End. 

Aside from me wanting to see more than that, It was a satisfying fandisk

Overall good game

7 hours ago, Alcorin said:

Meanwhile in Clannad...

Reveal hidden contents

R8dpkXX.jpg

... I...

This game broke me already and it didn't even start for real yet ;v; This is gonna be a doozy, isn't it...?

Bonus:

Reveal hidden contents

lg1VB5f.jpg

I can't dab hard enough at his bullshit, holy hell...

I still love him tho X'3

Sounds like this game has already got you crying (crying in laughter).....

Just now, Rain Spectre said:

What's CSG like then?

There are 5 chapters in CSG, still in the 1st chapter but so far it's good. The MC goes back to the CSG Time period and isn't suddenly strong and beats everyone. He is just a normal student and really acts like one (Particularly in bad ways). Heard that in further chapters he becomes more developed and I'm excited to see that kind of character development.

Particularly in the art, I have mixed feelings about it. As you can see from the poster, their boobs are a bit too emphasized that it becomes distracting (I still don't understand japan's obsession with REALLY big boobs.) Their boobs would remove you from the immersion from the dramatic scenes but you'll get used to it anyway. 

I have nothing to say too much as I haven't even finished the first chapter yet but I can see why it gets high acclaim by a lot of people.

2 hours ago, Larxe1 said:

There are 5 chapters in CSG, still in the 1st chapter but so far it's good. The MC goes back to the CSG Time period and isn't suddenly strong and beats everyone. He is just a normal student and really acts like one (Particularly in bad ways). Heard that in further chapters he becomes more developed and I'm excited to see that kind of character development.

Particularly in the art, I have mixed feelings about it. As you can see from the poster, their boobs are a bit too emphasized that it becomes distracting (I still don't understand japan's obsession with REALLY big boobs.) Their boobs would remove you from the immersion from the dramatic scenes but you'll get used to it anyway. 

I have nothing to say too much as I haven't even finished the first chapter yet but I can see why it gets high acclaim by a lot of people.

You're in for a wild ride, enjoy! CSG is the best VN I have ever played. It's quite an amazing journey. (You get used to the fanservice and skimpy outfits rather fast. If anything, I feel like it has a nice place in between the story elements, considering how long the game is, and how intense the plot gets.)

I wouldn't say Suguha is just a normal student when he arrives. He was fairly good at kendo in the past, and so he has some decent sword skills down when he arrives. Though he is not very experienced in using them yet, compared to the samurai in the edo period who have trained their whole lives, as their lives literally depended on it. He certainly has much to learn when he arrives in chapter 1.

1 hour ago, Rain Spectre said:

So the protag isn't an overpowered Gary Stu? Huh...

Not at all, no. If you want to know some details, (spoilery details,) here you go:

Larxe1, do NOT open this spoiler! (Big ChuSinGura spoilers below!)

Spoiler

CSG is all about the journey you take with Suguha, as he grows both mentally and physically through the chapters. (Each one taking years of time.) He starts of decently strong, and trains with the incredibly skilled Kuranosuke in ch.1, Yasubee in ch2., the mad Shinpachirou in ch.3, and arguably the strongest character in the game, Asaemon in ch.5. (Ch.4 is actually not focused on him, but on a different character, Kasumi.)

Overall, by the end he is probably among the most powerful characters in the whole game, and that is the case from ch. 3 onwards, I'd say. He gets stronger with each chapter, though he is by no means a Gary Stu. He has some trauma from having wounded a girl in his kendo class, and struggles even gripping a sword at the start. It takes a long time for him to get used to having to actually fight people for real, and he never gets to a point where he is 100% comfortable with the idea. His strength comes from a long period of hard training. He never pulls any deus x machina wins etc, and rarely has the ability to solve any situation solely by himself; in fact, a big part of the game is focused on his frustration over not being able to fix anything by himself as everyone around him suffers, and he with them. He gets stronger and stronger, yet never has the ability to just fix things, which actually causes him to just lose his mind completely in chapter 3, and the big, epic finale brings essentially every single character together in order to defeat the "enemy." (Just in case Larxe should be mad enough to open this, I won't say anything more about what that "enemy" is, heh.) 

CSG intrigues me. It's a work that I know garners a fair bit of acclaim, but it's highly esoteric and I rarely if ever see people discuss it. I guess because the premise is rather off-putting to anyone burnt out on poor quality Isekai, and it's difficult to do a relatively detailed but cohesive description of why one should read it.

CSG intrigues me. It's a work that I know garners a fair bit of acclaim, but it's highly esoteric and I rarely if ever see people discuss it. I guess because the premise is rather off-putting to anyone burnt out on poor quality Isekai, and it's difficult to do a relatively detailed but cohesive description of why one should read it.

The lack of a good translation is probably a big factor in why it isn't discussed much in the west. It's nothing like any other "isekai" game or LN. It's not actually isekai at all, he warps back in time. (The whole story is deeply rooted in actual historical events, and features mostly historical characters and historically accurate information and refrences.) 

It is among the longest and most difdicult VNs to read, so it's hard to get into. (If you don't have a decent grasp of Japanese history, even native speakers will have some issues following the story.) 

3 minutes ago, Rain Spectre said:

Don't even see it mentioned by JoP's.

I know it's technically not Isekai, but "Guy gets sent back to fuduel Japan to take part in the 47 Ronin, only much of the cast are genderbent into hot chicks" is likely to give people the same sort of impression. 

I would personally say the utsuge tag is fairly fitting for CSG, so if you go into it expecting a fun and cute harem game like standard isekai shit you're in for a wild ride, lol. 

The only people I personally know of who has played the JP ver would be Clephas and Conjueror. The length and difficulty might prevent some JOPs from playing it, I guess. I'm sure you'll find some talks about it around the internet if you just do some digging, though. 

Muramasa is from what I've heard really long, difficult and brutal, and it's very popular among JoP's and highly requested for an official localization as well. Maybe it's because Nitro+ is deeply respected while no one can even name the dev that did CSG?

Hard to say. I personally don't see much talk about Muramasa from people who have actually played it, and mostly just EOPs who wants it translated. Kinda the same with CSG, tbh. Inre has really just made CSG and sequels, so if you don't know about that universe I guess you won't know about them at all. 

Guess we shouldn't clog up this thread too much, so if you want to talk some more about this you can PM me here or on discord. :vanilla: 

Currently play Misa's route of Hoshiori, and so far it's full of romance there. So I would say that if you dislike charage then perhaps Hoshiori wouldn't be a good VN for you, because it didn't have much of story and more the interaction between MC and the heroines. I'll try to comment more on Misa's route later.

Other than Misa's route, recently I managed to finished Himeka's route back at Hatsukoi Sankaime and let's just say that the content of the route is quite dramatic because of several reasons, and other than that it's also involved the story behind of the setting (Kirigamine Island). So let me try to summarized the story in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

From Himeka's route, we knew that both of her and Misaki was the victim of the big airplane accident at 7 years ago that causing her to be in comma and paralyzed in her lower half. Because Himeka was a prodigy in piano Hikami CEO who is Yurino's father interested to help her, and thanks to that Himeka managed to recover although she can only move her upper half though. Of course being bored, she decided to try to separated the soul from her body through the use of Zero Signal (The wave that causing electric device be usable by not using cable) in which it happen to be researched by the scientist at Kirigamine. Through her spirit body, she managed to befriended Yurino and started the film club. By the time Taichi grieving because of Rin's loss, Himeka decided to help him and as the result Taichi managed to find her secret. Long story short, Taichi decided to find the way to cure Himeka's problem with the help of Senri, who other than his homeroom teacher and film club advisor was also happened to be the scientist that was responsible to Himeka's treatment. Of course while at first Taichi was failed, in the end he was successful at curing Himeka after 13 years of hard works (3 years after Taichi managed to became Senri's assistant, and another 10 years after Himeka was fall in comma again).

While the story of Himeka's route here was quite dramatic, in exchange of that her chance to be together with Taichi was less because of the comma thing. Like Sui, Himeka also think that Taichi was should be together with Yurino because Taichi was shown to have some feeling to the former because Taichi was have a heartbreak after being rejected by Misaki, although it's not as blatant as Sui's route though. Other than that, I like that Senri whose in other three previous routes was more active in this route, with important role at that namely to help Taichi to achieve his goal (Of course Senri here was want Himeka to be recovered as well). As for timeskip, while the long time was a bit unnecessary I think it give some interesting message, namely that you can still start over your life whenever your age is as shown when Taichi said that he'll start a new life after he managed to finally recover Himeka after 13 years of efforts (At most Taichi should be at 28 years old by the time of the epilogue).

As for the next route, well there's no other choice other than play Misaki's route. As for Misaki herself, she was sort of the reason why Taichi was started to live on Kirigamine because Misaki was rejected Taichi's confession.

PS - As for Himeka's seiyuu, I think everyone at least should recognize the name of Kawashima Rino whose been in voicing a lot of eroge characters. As for her roles, she did voiced Yatsushiro Yuzuriha from Flowers tetralogy, Cro from Chrono Clock, Sakurai Kei from Dies Irae (Sort of The Danza here), Kariu Nagisa from Koiresort, Toomi Yuna from Kindred Spirit on Rooftop, Tokisaka Yukari from Kara no Shoujo duology, Usami Haru from G-Senjou, Servalwi Endoss from Kamidori, Minakami Yuki from Subahibi, and Tsujidou Ai from Tsujidou.

Edited by littleshogun

Playing Sakura Sakura. It's aight.

I like the art style a lot. It's aged well, and I'm sure the stupid amount of effort that went into upscaling made this a much more enjoyable experience for me. TBH, the game looks better to me than any other recent release that comes to mind, probably because it hasn't gone too far down the moe route; modern VNs tend to look a little too distorted, in a cutesy way, for my preferences. I tried Sanoba for a while, but the art is really squishy and rounded, relative to my preferences...

The story's pretty run-of-the-mill, but it's been a good backdrop for the characters, and it's played out pretty well. I like the way it's balanced showing off all four of the heroines; I never know where the focus is going to shift next, and the common route is usually juggling background exposition for multiple characters at once, in a very natural way. Good pacing. Doing the sub-routes (like the "seven mysteries" stuff) can make things drag a bit... but usually I end up happier for having watched them.

This is also one of the few games I've played where I really feel drawn to all the heroines. Like, whoever is on the screen at any point in time, I'm thinking "Oh, she's my favorite." I tend to either drop VNs early or play them to 100% completion, so knowing that I'm not gonna be kinda half-interested through an entire heroine route is a nice plus.

All in all, pretty happy with Sakura Sakura. Still early going, though.