What are you playing?

5 minutes ago, Stormwolf said:

Finished Sharin no kuni for the second time.

Reveal hidden contents

Just as much of a blast as the first time. Well, the only thing that was off was the whole sister always being there wasn't handled as good as it could have been. Even after explanations i couldn't believe she always was there as the pieces didn't seem to fit. Truly epic storytelling nonetheless!

Started Marriage lunatics and i just don't know what to think. Seems to be a longish game, but how is it? Girl after girl pops up and all they're doing is teasingly fighting over the protagonist, when no one can even say why they even like the guy. Being in love from the first second is the worst way to go about things. A steady buildup over time makes for a more engaging story. This dynamic isn't something i can stomach for long. It's truly boring.

it will get intresting after the prologue :D They are all the protagonist bride candidates 

6 minutes ago, LanThief(HUN) said:

it will get intresting after the prologue :D They are all the protagonist bride candidates 

Yes i know. It's just that nothing is happening. Only cutesy fighting over the protagonist. It's now right before they're starting school but i just had to quit.

16 hours ago, Stormwolf said:

Yes i know. It's just that nothing is happening. Only cutesy fighting over the protagonist. It's now right before they're starting school but i just had to quit.

Yeah, I honestly couldn't deal with MML. I played through the common route and a tiny bit of a character route, and it just feels like nothing ever happens, so I dropped it.

After reading most of Fureraba a few months ago, i probably got a moege overdose and played Evenicle, Subahibi and the entirety of the Muv-luv trilogy before returning and finishing Himari's route that i absolutely couldn't stand. As it turns out, i still did not have enough of the "plotge" VNs and picked up Umineko a few days ago. So i just finished episode 1 and praises are the only thing i can think of when trying to describe it. Despite knowing some tidbits about the story that was unfolding prior to reading through it, it was a really great experience, and the writing was absolutely perfect at setting the atmosphere. Can't wait to move on the next episodes and find out more and more about everything.

I'm currently reading Dies Irae Interview with Kaziklu Bey, hoping that Masada's writing isn't gone fry my brain or something. Haven't gotten very far, so I can't say much at this point. The sound and visuals are great through and it's cool to get more Dies Irae stuff. 

Besides that, I recently finished Tiny Dungeon Black and White. It was ok, I'd say it's a relatively average fantasy VN. I really liked the main heroine Vell, one of the sweetest characters I've ever seen in a VN. It some well written, but surprisingly easy to understand fights too. 

Umineko ep 4, and thus the whole first game, finished. Moving onto chiru now!  As always I'mma roughly develop some of my impressions and theories in spoilers, though a good review and a great tl;dr would be just ASKDFHSDJJKLHGASRLMDSCMKZ :leecher:

Spoiler

Oh boy, what an episode again. This one was "easier" I guess? Not really, but at least it wasn't harder. Most of the questions were already introduced, so I felt like the focus was more on the characters interactions side. I was told that Ep 4 had the worst pacing out of the four, that it takes its sweet time to start off and maybe I would struggle for the first few hours. It was not the case. I absolutely loved the start and the end (not so much the middle part, which imo was a lot weaker). For one it provides a different perspective of magic seen from the human point of view. I've already said in my previous discussion on Ep 3 that at this point I couldn't care less whether magic "truly" exists. I think I would be doing myself a disservice if I were to reject all magical elements as "false" and thus not a part of the "true story". In the end, whether all the witch's side characters exists in the same plane than humans and directly affect the story is not that relevant. Like, what would change for me? Would it really make sense to think of them as "fictitious" even though they clearly exist, interact and develop in this literary world? I don't think so. If it were to come to that, why am I reading fiction in the first place? :makina: 

That said, obviously this episode's intentions were to shed some light onto the nature of magic from the human's side, or, for those readers who reject magic, or, for those as myself who reject it and accept it at the same time. So, magic is this "power" we all have due to the fact that the world as we know it is a totally subjective experience. We as conscious observers of the world construct our own reality, and while it makes sense to assume that there's an objetive world out there, it's bound to be forever out of our reach. This must be one of the oldest topics in philosophy. Anyway, in the end, as they say, it's all in the eye of the beholder. Someone who genuinely thinks the world is a happy, warm place, will easily find love and happiness when looking around them (eeeven though taking this to the exteme leaves you with a veeery high risk of being fooled, but oh well). On the other hand, someone who does not know love is doomed to view the world as an ugly place where everyone, including themselves, is a demon. 'Without love it cannot be seen', huh? Rosa and Maria are prime examples of both cases... With this in mind, witches and other magical beings are but the personification of this power we have to shape our world... and therefore are 'born from humans'. I'm fairly positive this is the conclusion Ange reached and the solution to the apparent contradiction of accepting and denying witches and magic at the same time. Interestingly enough, turning this around, this also means that everything that happens from the witch's perspective must have an equivalent from the human's perspective, even if this relation could be sometimes vague and metaphorical; 

Also, don't really want to dwell too much on the self-evident, but I HAVE to say it. Poor Maria. My heart broke just too many times while reading her flashbacks and learning where her 'uu uu' came from was really the last straw. *Sigh*

Well, let's move onto the final mystery of this episode then, shall we? Who is Beatrice, or rather... katakana Beato, the witch. Ever since the episode 1 one of my biggest questions was why is Beato so hung up on Battler. I said in the respective post that it obviously had to be something more than just 'because she's a cruel witch that enjoys torturing people, especially if they try to deny her', if for nothing else than storytelling purposes. Now we learnt that apparently Battler did something that in some way hurt Beato, or, you know, the person who witch Beato comes from. I believe Beato is the personification of that resentment, that eventually leads that person, the human culprit, to commit the Rokkenjima murders. It's no wonder then that from the witch's perspective it's Beato, the embodiment of that resentment born from Battler's sin, who commits those crimes. Now for the tough part, the identity of that person. Well, I was reviewing the little pieces we are shown about Beatrice's life in episode 3 and thinking about it. If I'm not mistaken, the thing goes like this. Format: (W witches side / H my interpretation from the human side feat. Battler)

"W: Kinzo is a mage who summoned the great Golden Witch Beatrice and fell in love with her / H: Kinzo had a mistress called Beatrice, who probably lend him the gold he needed"

"W: Kinzo imprisoned the witch in a human body so that she couldn't escape / H: Kinzo is a creepy bastard who was so obsessed with his lover that shut her in Kuwadorian for life"

"W: Beatrice had enough so she broke her human cage and freed herself / H: Poor woman had enough and killed herself"

"W: Kinzo created a new vessel for Beatrice and imprisoned her soul again / H: Kinzo and Beatrice had a child. The crazy fucker called her Beatrice and shut the child in Kuwadorian as her mother's substitute"

This should be the Beatrice Rosa met with, and the one who died on that cliff. At this point things get weird. If she's dead (confirmed in Red) it shouldn't be possible for Battler and Maria to have met her. For a while my hypothesis was that maybe Kinzo had not only one child with his mistress, but 2, twins, and called them both Beatrice. This also sounded particularly appealing to explain the multiple personality witch Beato seemed to show sometimes (and not gonna lie, Higurashi also had a slight influence in this :makina:). I've already discarded it though. In this episode 4 they say that at some point the boat captain was instructed to stop carrying supplies to the back harbor, presumedly when the Beato who met Rosa died. If another twin was still leaving there I wouldn't expect this to happen. Then... I realised something, and I don't know if I'm a creep and should be ashamed for even thinking about this, but at the start of ep 3 we got to see kid Beato, when she broke that vase and then Virgilia fixed it for a while. At that time I didn't see anything weird, but while I was rewatching the scene I noticed that she called Kinzo "grandfather". I mean, I don't know if that's literal or it's just a standard way to address the family head... but if it is... well, then this:

"W: Beatrice (child from Kinzo and his mistress) fell off the cliff and her soul was freed, eventually being able to regain a human body / H: Kinzo used to fuck her own daughter (a minor, at that) and out of the incest another Beatrice child came out, being this the person witch Beato was born from"

Ok, I know, that's messed up and if this is just me imagining things I'm gonna be pretty embarrassed and probably blame Euphoria for it :notlikemiya: To makes things worse, we now know that there are not more than 17 persons on Rokkenjima at the time the massacre occurs, so, this Beatrice should be among those 17... I mean, there aren't that many options, are they?

Spoiler

175px-Ushiromiya Jessica9PS3 Sprite

Those are the only two ladies whose ages would match. FUCK THEY EVEN HAVE BLOND HAIR AND BLUE EYES LIKE BEATO YOU MO*********R. And... of those two, unfortunately for Shannon she just happens to fit much better in all the theories I've created so far...

And wanna know more? According to witch Beato, when she fell off that cliff she was at last FREE. Where did Shannon come from again? AN ORPHANAGE! I can perfectly picture in my head Shannon's mother (the Beatrice who fell off that cliff) assisting to her daugher's escape from Kuwadorian and the child ending up in an orphanage. Then Kinzo would investigate and come to the conclusion that the child was in Fukuin House, thus his unexplainable interest for that orphanage. It would make so much sense that I want to cry.

This is not with its share of problems though. Shannon clearly died during the first twilight in the first episode for example (and in this exact same episode, when Genji, Kumasawa and Najo were killed Jessica was in holed up in Kinzo's study, so she wouldn't work either). Wasn't she left with half of her face so she was identifiable? Well, though at this point I have serious doubts whether you can take at face value any fact that you are told that happened between 4th and 5th October on 1986 Rokkenjima, to be honest. If it's Shannon who wrote those messages in the bottles she could pretty much fake the story however she wanted.

Man, if this turned out to be the case... at least tell me that Kinzo didn't also abuse his granddaughter. Just no, please. No. Though if so... then It'd be no wonder she wanted to kill the shit out of Kinzo and all his family.

Also, as a side note, I was pretty shocked when they showed that Ange died in 1998. Why? Did Kasumi actually killed her and all that magic scene was just a delusion? Or perhaps did Ange end up commiting suicide in the end??? I don't fucking know.

Edited by Thyndd

After some hardware troubles I finally got around to reading Umineko. I finished ep 1 and read the first few hours of ep 2 and really got hooked on the weird school festival song. It's really promising so far although I have no idea what direction the story is going to take fill eight 15 hour volumes, considering

Spoiler

everyone dies in episode 1. They build up this Battler vs. Beatrice thing with him not accepting her and trying to solve the epitaph in the next life (?) or whatever but that would probably just be enough material to fill 3-4 episodes. I already read reviews that said Umineko isn't a clear cut murder-mystery story that gives you a classic setup and then puts all the pieces together in the finale so I really don't know what to expect.

All the praise Umineko gets for it's soundtrack is well deserved. While none of the tracks really stuck to me so far (except for the one mentioned above) I don't think I've read another VN where the soundtrack sets the mood for the scenes as well as this one.

Is it just me, or does House in Fata Morgana seem heavily influenced by Umineko? I'm no expert on Japanese scary stories so it's possible that this just is the way artists there tell western-style horror tales, but to me the aesthetics in both titles just seem very similar.

Still reading Muv-Luv Alternative........ my current thoughts are as follows.....

OH GOD, WHAT DID I JUST SEE!?

I CANNOT UNSEE THAT!!!

JAPAN, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!?

WHY GOD DID I BUY THE +18 PATCH!?

...... those who have already read the game know exactly what I'm talking about :Keepo:

I'm surprised I was even able to stomach that, good grief.....

5 minutes ago, r0xm2n said:

Still reading Muv-Luv Alternative........ my current thoughts are as follows.....

I CANNOT UNSEE THAT!!!

...... those who have already read the game know exactly what I'm talking about :Keepo:

Wait until the 'that was practically vanilla' comments.

6 minutes ago, r0xm2n said:

I CANNOT UNSEE THAT!!!

That was practically vanilla

There's this cheaply produced animated movie about the sinking of the Titanic where an evil whaling magnate allies with the sharks to sink the Titanic and something something PROFIT.

Spoiler

The sharks trick a giant puppy eyed octopus named Tentacles into throwing the famous iceberg in front of the ship. Tentacles, noticing his terrible mistake, rushes to the rescue and holds together the crack in the middle of the Titanic long enough so every passenger can leave the ship alive. He sinks with the ship and dies, but in the final wedding scene he's back alive so they made a sequel about him that's taking place in Atlantis or something.

I don't know why I always think about that movie when someone's talking about MuvLuv Alternative.

Edited by alpacaman

Despite what my signature says, I'm... Well, I'm rereading To Heart 2 - the Tama-nee route, and it's kind of ironic as I'd planned to reread it at some point, but definitely not now, but have been yanked despite myself into doing so :P. I kind of feel like I *should* be focusing on reading something I haven't read before, but, well, I paused Grisaia to read eden*, and I've somehow paused eden* to read To Heart 2. I'm not entirely sure why that happened, but I'm really enjoying rereading the route. It's one of my to favorites from the VN (the other being Konomi's) and the character is hilarious, but also really sweet, and it helps to have a great VA as well. It's amazing how much foreshadowing I'm picking up on now that I know how things'll turn out. Plus, I'm a sucker for childhood friend routes of most varieties, and I just realized that Tama-nee would count as one. 

I really like it though, and think it's To Heart 2 at its best: comforting, relaxing, and easy to read while inviting you to do so and making you not notice the time go by. I think I've said so before but that last portion IMO isn't always the case, so I appreciate it whenever it is. I keep laughing and smiling at the hijinks going on (Yuuji vs Tama-nee especially). I'll most likely polish off eden* soon, and then go back to The Fruit of Grisaia, but for now this is a fun and welcomed detour.

Finished Muv-Luv Alternative yesterday.

Yeah, that was a ride and a half!! I was even more emotionally invested in it then Clannad. I'm just glad I don't currently live in a cosmic horror timeline like that..... :gasp:

Welp! Next up is ....... Steins;Gate. Another VN with parallel timelines eh?

...... is it just me, or is the music, REALLY intense?? Holy shit.....

10 minutes ago, r0xm2n said:

I'm just glad I don't currently live in a cosmic horror timeline like that..... :gasp:

You never know where you'll wake up tomorrow :illya: Suddenly isekai adventures seem a lot worse huh?

Congrats on finishing MLA! I glad you enjoyed the ride and I hope you'll eventually get over your newly adquired PTSD. 

Have fun with Steins;Gate :sachi:

I started reading Flowers -Le Volume sur Été- yesterday, and its undeniably a Jast game. Meaning, that it's a technical mess with more bugs than an ant hill.

When I started the title the first time I got sound stuttering in the title screen. Then I tried to switch to fullscreen, just to have the game crash straight to desktop.

With my second start the sound stuttering fortunately vanished, but when I tried to switch to fullscreen again the game hanged itself up and didn't react anymore.

With my third start I somehow managed to succeeded to switch to fullscreen. But unfortuantely the text width calculation seems bugged since the text goes out of the text box on the right side. It's not too much, so it's still readable, but yeah it gives me feelings of nostalgia - that's just good old Jast! :sleep:

The font choice also seems weird - it looks like taken from an old MS DOS command line panel from the 90ties.