What are you playing?

Just wrapped up Hapymaher finally and posted up my thoughts over in the dedicated Hapymaher thread. tl;dr: good game, shoddy localization.

Now I'm moving on to Muv-Luv. I played it for an hour or two last night, and I'm already super impressed by the scripting. It's phenomenal, easily the best I've ever seen in a VN, and it really makes the experience special. I've been introduced to most of the cast at this point (just got past the silly first school lunch scene, near the beginning), and I'm just looking forward to the ride, now.

14 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Now I'm moving on to Muv-Luv. I played it for an hour or two last night, and I'm already super impressed by the scripting. It's phenomenal, easily the best I've ever seen in a VN, and it really makes the experience special. I've been introduced to most of the cast at this point (just got past the silly first school lunch scene, near the beginning), and I'm just looking forward to the ride, now.

17 hours ago, r0xm2n said:

Finished Muv-Luv Extra.

Started Muv-Luv Unlimited......

About an hour in.....

Reveal hidden contents

Reads brief but harrowing account of the history of this alternate world....

..... I'm already afraid.....

44 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

Freddy the Barbarian! Wait for me! I'm gonna finish up Fata Morgana TONIGHT, then start MuvLuv trilogy on my Vita 

Oh my, so many people going into MuvLuv together, have you guys arranged it or something? That's good though, you can lick each other's wounds that way :nico: It's gonna be so much fun~

I can feel myself getting a little sadist after so much umineko Don't mind me.

23 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

Oh my, so many people going into MuvLuv together, have you guys arranged it or something? That's good though, you can lick each other's wounds that way :nico: It's gonna be so much fun~

I can feel myself getting a little sadist after so much umineko Don't mind me.

kukuku they are in for one hell of a roller coaster ride :wahaha:

Kichikuou Rance

I'm puzzled about the "Skip Text [off]" menu item, does this game have feature to differentiate between unread and read text? So if you enter unread dialogue and press skip, should it continue skipping? Upon entering the map view setting goes to [off] again.

EDIT: looks like it skips everything. at least the scenes are not that long..

Edited by pual

14 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

Freddy the Barbarian! Wait for me! I'm gonna finish up Fata Morgana TONIGHT, then start MuvLuv trilogy on my Vita 

Whoa, long time no see!

You might consider going for the (more recent) Steam version. Apparently the Vita version got crappy QC and has some text bugs as a result (like, em-dashes replaced with question marks, I think? that kind of thing, at least).

12 hours ago, Ranzo said:

Finished Nayuki's route in Kanon and you know I like the protag and all but GAHHHHHH HE DOESN'T HAVE A FACE!!!!!

FWIW, faceless protags are the norm in galge CGs (and it pisses me off to no end, since it looks so weird). I admit, this looks weirder than most, but that's kind of to be expected with ancient Itaru Hinoue art.

14 hours ago, Ranzo said:

Finished Nayuki's route in Kanon and you know I like the protag and all but GAHHHHHH HE DOESN'T HAVE A FACE!!!!!

Because they don't know your face, so you'll have to picture it yourself. 

Though tbh I find her jaw and mouth placement a whole lot more disturbing...

More or less finished with Muv-Luv Unlimited.

...... does it make me a Lolicon that I got a kick out of Tama's H scene? Especially that upskirt angle.... :Keepo:

Next up ....... Alternative...........

...... god help me........

32 minutes ago, r0xm2n said:

...... does it make me a Lolicon that I got a kick out of Tama's H scene? Especially that upskirt angle.... :Keepo:

Yes, and the FBI knows.

32 minutes ago, r0xm2n said:

...... god help me........

No god could possibly help you.

As for me, I'm still with Umineko ep 2. My (very solid) theory so far is that:

Spoiler

They are in the Matrix. Battler is Neo, Kinzo the architect, Beatrice the Oracle and Maria Morpheus.

Perfect.

2 hours ago, alpacaman said:

My review of Alternative: 

Hide contents

You are going to give him a wrong idea. We all know that Alternative is just a short and funny game about cute girls fighting aliens, right? :sachi:

9 hours ago, Thyndd said:

As for me, I'm still with Umineko ep 2. My (very solid) theory so far is that:

Hide contents

They are in the Matrix. Battler is Neo, Kinzo the architect, Beatrice the Oracle and Maria Morpheus.

Perfect.

Oh, wow, it's so early on, and you already got everything! I'm seriously impressed!

:illya:

i started ChonoClock a week ago ,like my playthrought almost to the end my first route with Michiru ,good grief it's low attractive while read this one so i hope my assumption will be miss and it's made me impressed at the end of this and another routes.

------  oh... it's impress me now.

Edited by Kei kun
updated after end a route.

Still Fureraba, because I didn't manage to finish it by the end of September. Considering that I'm at almost halfway of Misakichi's route, I'm sure that I can finish Fureraba by the time for Sanoba release here (Although I'm not going to get the jealousy scenes anyway).

To answer @Dreamysyu question in regard of reading the after story, I would say that if you like that Yuuji got to live together with several girls after supposed chaotic Rakuen's story, then of course it'll worth to read that. Otherwise, it would be for the best if you could just treated Rakuen main story as the fandisc one, or to put it into a better note Yuuji's route. As for me, I'm pretty much already quite cynical with the FD duology (ie Meikyuu and Rakuen) since Frontwing announced those two back at 2012 (Granted that they'd probably in need of some cash after they saved from bankruptcy), but I'd still say that Yuuji's backstory is still worth to consider as the canon though.

Edited by littleshogun

I finished Umineko's 2nd episode with its respective Tea Party. This game is such  troll and addictive af. Ok let the rant start. Perhaps for those who have already read it it's not that interesting reading the nonsensical theories of someone new to Umineko, but oh well, at the very least it'll help me put my thoughts in order :leecher:

For starters I didn't quite expect them to directly show me all the magic stuff, at least no more than in ep 1, so it was a surprise when right from the beginning Beatrice showed up in front of Kanon and Shannon. It's not that it changes anything really, since as I already mentioned during my ep 1 discussion it's not clear whether the facts that we are shown actually happened as they are narrated, and the fact that the story seems to be a reconstruction from a letter inside a bottle doesn't help when it comes to trust that info. However, and that's the key clue that I learned in this episode, whatever is discussed by meta Battler and Beato must be factual. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to have Red text, as you can't really declare as the truth something that just didn't happen. So... what meta information was I able to gather from those conversations? 

Well, from the first, the chapel mystery, there are actually two possible scenarios. It seems that Beato couldn't repeat in red that the envelope hadn't been resealed. Ok, that's interesting and if we assume that it had indeed been resealed, then it explains how a human could have done it without requiring magic. I think that the reason Beato couldn't say it in Red is most likely because the culprit is human, but there are other possibilities. First of all, the envelope could have been open and sealed back for any other reason, and the witch, who did in fact kill the 6 people in the chapel with magic, had nothing to do with it. In this case, Beato would not be able to prove that she killed them with magic even if it was the truth. Another possibility, and admittedly a very weird one, is that Beato just didn't feel like saying that in Red, that is, she forfeited that game. I don't think that's the case, but what I'm saying is that it could be very misleading to assume that just because she refuses to say something in Red, then it's false by default. In any case, the chapel incident sets a precedent as the first mystery that we know a reasonable explanation for. 

Then Kanon and Jessica murders. Oh boy. I was so excited for this one, because it was the first that involved someone other than Kanon and Shannon clearly seeing supernatural bullshit, AND the red text was already introduced, so I'd be able to get some juicy info. Of course I was expecting Battler to resign this time, because being able to make the witch admit that it was possible to do it without magic would be as good as giving away that the narration was unreliable, assuming that Beato won't hold back from saying stuff in Red if she needs to do so to win (in other words, that winning the current game is her first priority), as I said earlier. Unfortunately Battler didn't put up a fight at all. Come on my boy, it's not your fault that you lost this one, it was definitely a plot device, but you could have wrung much more Red info out of her!! 

Yeah.. so.. I'm back at the starting point I guess, however, I'm feel way more convinced than before that the murders must have an explanation (even though, ashamed as I am to admit it, I couldn't figure one out. Those locked rooms seem so impossible...!!). They must have one, if only for storytelling purposes. Think about it like this. Imagine you're watching a movie whose plot revolves around one dude that has been sentenced to death for a crime he claims he didn't commit. The evidence, fairly scarce, seems to point towards his culpabilty. How would you expect this movie to finish? Surely it'll be that, after the struggle, enough evidence is found to support his innocence and gets out alive, or, for a sad ending, they manage to prove him innocent but it's too late and the dude has already met his maker. In other words, the tension in this plot lies on whether he'll be able to save his life or not, NEVER on whether he is guilty or innocent. Just imagine how anticlimatic it would be if, after killing him, they just proved he was definitely guilty :makina: 

Now for a change imagine the plot was  almost the same, but a lot more evidence came out pointing to his innocence, some of which was apparently incredibly strong. In the end, he gets out, as it would happen in any respetactable court. NOW it would be a good twist if he'd been guilty all along, huh? This goes back to what I mentioned during the episode 1 discussion about a story having to be worthy of being told. In real life, the saying "if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras" applies. In fiction, it's most likely zebras, depending on the focus point in the narration. Let's call this the fictional zebras principle :sacchan: it probably already has been named differently at some point, but I don't know it, so whatever. 

The thing is, after all the mystery build up and expectation for an explanation, having everything explained by magic would not appear to be a good twist. I guess it could manage with some weird trick, but more often than not it would feel disappointing and anticlimatic. So, that's why I'm not accepting you just yet, Beato. The funny thing is, Beato herself says something along the lines of the fictional zebras principle when talking about the locked rooms. Something about how every locked room mystery novel must abide by the rule of not having secret exits, places to hide, or key duplicates, and how any detective in these novels would never follow those lines of reasoning XD. Think zebras, muh friend. 

I also want to talk about the true goal of Beato. If the murders have a human culprit, how is she related to them? Why are the murders following the epitaph fairly consistently? (this time around Nanjo and Kumasawa were shown to die chronologically before Shannon, George and Gohda, yet followed the reverse order according to the epitaph. That's the only inaccuracy I could find) and ultimately what is she trying to accomplish playing the same game over and over, when one successful run was enough to "revive her"? Yes sure, she is a cruel witch that wants to toy with humans and make them suffer to stave off boredom. Think zebras though. It's obviously not gonna be that. And think zebras again. She's probably not gonna be the cruel being we are being told to believe. I even came up with the crazy theory that the game could work exactly the opposite that we think it does: Beatrice wants Battler to win, but she is still giving him a very slim chance so he can bring about a miracle. By denying the witch he would find an answer to the puzzles and maybe avoid the tragedy of Rokkenjima. Farfetched, I know, but even if that's not it there must be a reason why Beato is so set on making Battler live through that again and again. Of course, this would mean that Beatrice as a witch really does exist, but she would be involved only in the repitition, not the crimes. 

Edited by Thyndd

15 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

addictive af

I actually read Episodes 2-6 in something like two weeks, which it crazy considering my usual reading speed. Which was also about a week before exams at the university started. :notlikemiya:

Though I definitely don't recommend reading it very quickly. I just didn't give myself time too think. I realized at the end that I had some nice ideas which actually could potentially lead to me solving the mystery, but in the end, I realized nothing. :yumiko:

19 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

maybe avoid the 

Was the cliffhanger intended? :wahaha:

1 minute ago, Dreamysyu said:

Was the cliffhanger intended? :wahaha:

I was typing on my phone and accidentally pressed the send button :yumiko: I've already edited it.

3 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

I actually read Episodes 2-6 in something like two weeks, which it crazy considering my usual reading speed.

That's crazy considering any reading speed :marie: Like, 5 episodes in 2 weeks??? Assuming ~15h per episode that's 5h+ every single day. Good thing I've got no exams as of now :wahaha:

7 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

5h+ every single day.

Something like that, indeed. I came home at, let's say, 4 PM, wanted to read for an hour and to start preparing right after that, but ended up stopping at 1 AM. I honestly don't know how I didn't fail those exams. :notlikemiya:

Actually, it was literally the only time when I was that engrossed in reading a VN.