What are you playing?

Wow, Gsen was the first Galgame in my life >_< Just remind me of my early life in the university (涙

After learned a liiiiiiittle japanese, I decided to play some galgame for practice. Then picked Gsen, one of the best in 2008.

At that time, I had a prejudice that others' translations would degrade/ruin the quality of the piece of great work.

So I made myself a rule: Never Play Subbed GalGame.

As the result, Gsen took me half a year to finish usami√ orz I had to look up dictionary again and again, while listening to the game's BGM. It left me some bad conditioned complex against music until now. Every time I heard some classic melody, which was also included in Gsen, it would bring up some H-scene to my brain (。>ω<。)

Darn it's jichi's first post and im 2 days late in replying to it ~.~

I've never been able to bring myself to give anything more than lukewarm praise to G-Senjou... I hate that particular story structure with a passion so intense that wherever I've encountered it (Eustia being another example) I've tended to come to hate the game with a passion later.

Right now I'm replaying Bloody Rondo, having finished Lovekami for the second time (it was as good as I recalled). Bloody Rondo's greatest weakness as a game is that all the other paths are so much weaker than the Luna path (though Lynette's path has some of the best 'more or less wholesome by Japanese standards' h-scenes I've run into in an action-vn) and that all the heroines except for one are airheads to one extent or another (Sayaka being the exception, though she can be stupid as well). Still, it did some things right, like the antagonists (Francesca is a superb psychotic antagonist such as is rarely seen in modern action-vns) and the protagonist (who is reasonably capable and not an idiot). The game is more of a stepping stone for 3rd Eye's second game, Shinigami no Testament, which was actually one of the better action-vns I've ever played than an excellent game in and of itself.

Bloody Call had all the problems endemic to the Otome game and the generic action-vn game genre. Somewhat foolish, virtually helpless protagonist who relies on the heroes for everything through much of the game (and who only becomes reasonably capable near the end). The protagonist also has the action-vn bad habit of suddenly becoming fairly powerful despite a lack of any training on their part. While this is almost reasonable in the case of a world-structure where magic is virtually all-powerful, the Bloody Call universe lacks that kind of 'Mwahaha, I crush you with the absolute difference between our powers' kind of situation that makes that kind of personal growth feasible from a storytelling point of view.

Edit: Incidentally, even when I like a game, I'll still point out the parts I thought were done poorly. I like Bloody Rondo a lot, for instance. However, I recognize that it is an only slightly above average product for the genre that uses a lot of the usual cliches and doesn't try anything particularly ambitious (though it does have some truly beautiful CGs).

I've never been able to bring myself to give anything more than lukewarm praise to G-Senjou... I hate that particular story structure with a passion so intense that wherever I've encountered it (Eustia being another example) I've tended to come to hate the game with a passion later.

Hm, interesting. This isn't the first time I've heard this, actually. What do you have in mind when you say "story structure"?

Hm, interesting. This isn't the first time I've heard this, actually. What do you have in mind when you say "story structure"?

Side-paths that make no sense in the context of the greater story split off along the way to the only real ending for the game. G-Senjou and games like it would be better served if they eliminated the other girls as heroines entirely and made them into complete side-characters. While a good number of VNs have 'true endings' and/or 'true heroines', games like G-Senjou produce a central story then split off extremely weak side-heroine paths that distract from the main story and rarely make sense in the context. If they wanted to provide an excuse for h-scenes with the various girls, they should have just put them in the extras section after you completed the story, making it into a kinetic novel.

I'm considering what I want to play next, now that that Ocelot game that came out last month turned out to be less than interesting... I could play the new version of Dies Irae, but I finished my second playthrough of Act est Fabula only seven months ago... It's a great game but I prefer to leave at least an eighteen month gap between replays of games, even when new versions come out. I may just wait until Friday, when Light's new chuuni game comes out... or I could pick a random moege out of my backlog and see if it doesn't bore me out of my skull.

Moved on to SinClient. The initial events of the story rather strongly resemble those of the Bourne Identity... As a strong positive, the protagonist isn't showing any signs of idiocy so far, and he is definitely capable. Well, we'll just have to see if it lives up to its promise.

Despite the godawful "translation" I've been playing Flyable Hearts. Surprisingly, the machine translation hasn't really made for a much worse experience. Luckily, some mistranslated phrases and words can be heard through the dialog making me use my limited Japanese knowledge useful. I do really enjoy the setting and characters so I'll keep pushing forward until completion. Also it has really good looking character sprites and CG.

Currently I am playing a bunch of different Visual Novels. I may play one on Monday and play a different one on Tuesday. I am not making very good progress by doing that. The ones I am currently playing are Katawa Shoujo, A Drug That Makes You Dream, Saya No Uta, Kara No Shoujo, My Girlfriend Is The President, and Muv-Luv Extra.

1349073245' post=482]

The ones I am currently playing are Katawa Shoujo, A Drug That Makes You Dream, Saya No Uta, Kara No Shoujo, My Girlfriend Is The President, and Muv-Luv Extra.

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: Katawa Shoujo Supa Numba 1 Ramen VN! Lilly forever, baby!

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: Katawa Shoujo Supa Numba 1 Ramen VN! Lilly forever, baby!

Lily and Hanako are my favorite characters in KS. I am not liking Shizune's route all that much. I am hoping Lily's and Rin's will be good.

Finished SinClient. Some thoughts on the game... Lots of twists and it is easily the most plot-centric game (other than maybe Namima no Kuni no Faust) I've played in the last few months. The protagonist is intelligent and capable, though he is somewhat hot-headed about the people he likes, with a strong sense of justice. He is not overly sentimental when it matters though, as he doesn't seem to have any problems pulling the trigger when it is needed. The story begins like the Bourne Identity and turns into a combination of a spy story and conspiracy theory story at about the midpoint. If I have a complaint it is that the after-story is mostly focused around the world events and doesn't give you any picture of the actual characters (though there are little captions in the ED song about them).

I started Zero Infinity a few hours ago and it is tickling all my story fetishes, so I don't have any complaints. I definitely recommend what I've played so far to chuuni fans, as the protagonist seems to be one of those weird but intelligent guys with his own philosophy that people like me love.

I'm in the middle of playing Starry☆Sky~In Spring. So far it's pretty good, the protagonist's EXTREMELY dense nature is annoying at times though. Then again that seems to be one of the traits for a lot of female protagonists have in Otome games. I plan to play Second Reproduction right after I finish that.

I just completed Planetarian, made me cry dammit. Why Key make so sad but epic games :( Very good VN, a bit short but nothing else to complain about.

Completed sharnoth, a few days ago. Ending was such as all Liar titles it seems, have a kind of odd ending because they put so much stuff into them. But not the less, still a very good VN as always. They could have spared me with the tentacles though, lol.

What next, hmmm. I think I'll read muv-luv as I have pushed that off for quite some time now. Hopefully I'll read it though in a month, by then I should be done with RTK 1 and Tae Kim's grammer guide. Then I'll "try" reading untranslated works.

Just started on Steins;Gate this morning. Never thought i'd say this, but the protagonist is worse than Muv Luv Extra Takeru. Takeru is just oblivious to everything, this Okarin guy is a raging lunatic. Extra was at least had its hilarious moments, this is just painful. At least the story looks promising.

Have any of you played Snow Sakura? Just wanted to know what your thoughts were. I'm enjoying it immensely.

I remember playing this awhile ago (few years back) and remember loving the story & art.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyhow, I'm going to try Period or Dual Savior Justice soon, hopefully I can get back into a VN mood and enjoy it like I always did back then.

I've been playing Katawa Shoujo on and off for a while now, since I'm a busy college Graphic Design student. More recently though I've been watching a let's play of the otome game The Second Reproduction (It's listed on the otome page of fuwanovel.) I have a limited amount of visual novels I can play at the moment, because I have a mac. Thus, I cannot play The Second Reproduction. But, honestly I sort of feel like I have played The Second Reproduction from watching/reading the let's plays. I know it's different when you are actually playing a vn yourself (because you can choose which path the story goes), but do any of you think that visual novels can also be experienced through watching let's plays?