What are you playing?

Recently finished Subahibi and Karakara2, Subahibi was a great read, though I still am rather perturbed by looking glass insects, overall its a great experience, Karakara 2 while short was pretty enjoyable though I admit I am a bit annoyed about the cliffhanger ending. 

I think that after two months of not being able to seriously read VNs and only half-cautiously watching playthroughs of Sakura games and similar ecchi trash I nearly forgot what a good VN looks like. So, I've decided to remind myself using Juniper's Knot. Really an excellent short story - fresh, climatic, touching, with a unique artstyle. It even has a small bit of f/f romance in the protagonist's backstory. It's always good to remind oneself that a good developer can fit a lot more genuine feeling and creativity in an hour-long experience than a typical fanservice will deliver over a dozen. :3

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

About to start Gin'iro Haruka.  Been looking forward to this one as i really enjoyed Tone Works other 2 VNs.  Recently finished another playthru of Katawa Shoujo as well as Tokeijikake no ley line Part 1. I still love KS just as much as my first time and Ley line was very enjoyable, highly recommend it.  Ah and I also managed to get my hands on the pulltop 15x15, cost a pretty penny but worth it.

Edited by Zayne11293

Finished Ruuko's route in toheart

This song really meshes with her route well. It's a bit of a shame that her route didn't end with me as some galactic overlord though

That's four routes down and five to go baby! Don't you think you've won!

Took a pretty long break from reading VNs (Thanks Bethesda) but I'm back because Steam has both Hakuoki games dirt cheap. I confess I was never a huge fan of the original guys except Kazama so I'm way more interested in the new ones. So far, I've only played the new guys and I really like their routes better. Yamazaki is the best boy. Anyway, I like this version of the over-milked Hakuoki better than the original I played on mobile. As far as otoge goes, Nightshade remains my top favorite. I don't really see Hakuoki as being particularly a classic or must-play although I enjoyed the historical stuff. I like that it's plot focused, yes, but there isn't really a whole lot of romance.

Playing through Fate/Stay Night right now. I'm not very far in to the game yet, definitely not enough to say what I think about it. I have, however, watched the UBW TV series and I wasn't much of a fan unfortunately. Apparently, the fate route is the worst of the three routes because of it mostly being introduction, which makes me hope that the VN's writing is significantly stronger than the anime. I feel like the only reason I'm obsessing over F/SN is because Fate/Zero was so goddamn legendary, which to my knowledge was written by Urobuchi Gen. But still, I still believe that the F/SN VN will be good because I've been a fan of Nasu's other work (the Kara no Kyoukai movies were absolutely amazing and Tsukihime seems interesting). Basically, I'm just hoping that the source material is better than it's adaptation.

11 minutes ago, Dark Cornflakes said:

Playing through Fate/Stay Night right now. I'm not very far in to the game yet, definitely not enough to say what I think about it. I have, however, watched the UBW TV series and I wasn't much of a fan unfortunately. Apparently, the fate route is the worst of the three routes because of it mostly being introduction, which makes me hope that the VN's writing is significantly stronger than the anime. I feel like the only reason I'm obsessing over F/SN is because Fate/Zero was so goddamn legendary, which to my knowledge was written by Urobuchi Gen. But still, I still believe that the F/SN VN will be good because I've been a fan of Nasu's other work (the Kara no Kyoukai movies were absolutely amazing and Tsukihime seems interesting). Basically, I'm just hoping that the source material is better than it's adaptation.

You're more devoted than me that way) At first i also wanted to read through VN, but after watching Fate/Stay Night anime... i abandoned the idea of doing so, cuz i'm absolutely not fan of it, especially MC, don't like him at all, annoying. Fate/Zero was better, especially 2nd season, but everything else... I even didn't watch UBW full show, maybe some other time or maybe won't do it at all. Dunno, the whole thing kinda didn't cling to me the way i hoped.

37 minutes ago, Dark Cornflakes said:

The VN has much better writing but it will irritate you at times. If you thought Shirou and Shinji were annoying in the anime, wait till you read the vn. Also, the battle scenes in FSN aren't really that good as compared to the anime (you will sometimes get a black screen followed by a "whoosh" sound during battle scenes). Last, but not least, the pacing. I personally didn't mind it but many others did so it's up to your own discretion.

However, that's where the drawbacks end. I quite liked the character development in the vn, and while Shirou still isn't a perfect man after all the character development, he's much better in Heaven's Feel than in Unlimited Blade Works and Fate (though admittedly he was kind of decent in UBW). Last but not least, the vn has LOTS of material that the anime doesn't cover. Important plot points are left out so what you already know is only about 40%.

Tl;dr, the source material is better than the adaption but is much longer.

Edited by wei123

55 minutes ago, cro-mag said:

You're more devoted than me that way) At first i also wanted to read through VN, but after watching Fate/Stay Night anime... i abandoned the idea of doing so, cuz i'm absolutely not fan of it, especially MC, don't like him at all, annoying. Fate/Zero was better, especially 2nd season, but everything else... I even didn't watch UBW full show, maybe some other time or maybe won't do it at all. Dunno, the whole thing kinda didn't cling to me the way i hoped.

Yee I can't even blame you tbh. I've heard a lot of people say that you should watch UBW first and F/Z second since F/Z will make everything else trash by comparison, which is hilarious to me. Just a heads up, if you don't think you'll enjoy the UBW anime, you most likely won't!

43 minutes ago, wei123 said:

The VN has much better writing but it will irritate you at times. If you thought Shirou and Shinji were annoying in the anime, wait till you read the vn. Also, the battle scenes in FSN aren't really that good as compared to the anime (you will sometimes get a black screen followed by a "whoosh" sound during battle scenes). Last, but not least, the pacing. I personally didn't mind it but many others did so it's up to your own discretion.

However, that's where the drawbacks end. I quite liked the character development in the vn, and while Shirou still isn't a perfect man after all the character development, he's much better in Heaven's Feel than in Unlimited Blade Works and Fate (though admittedly he was kind of decent in UBW). Last but not least, the vn has LOTS of material that the anime doesn't cover. Important plot points are left out so what you already know is only about 40%.

Tl;dr, the source material is better than the adaption but is much longer.

Dayum only 40%? Well, the VN is pretty humongous so I'm not surprised. I've heard a lot about the Heaven's Feel route and how great it is (and how it's as good or even better than F/Z), so I'm pretty excited for that whenever I get there. Hearing that the VN has better writing is quite reassuring, and yes Shirou was pretty annoying in the anime, thnx for the heads up! Honestly, a lot of people give Shinji a lot of crap for being a douchebag. I just find him comically evil. Everything he does (in the anime) is so overplayed, to the way he talks (Kamiya Hiroshi FTW), his gestures, his funny faces, it's all hilarious to me lol. Also, it's daijobu, fight scenes aren't that big a deal especially in VNs. Umu, thnx for the reply! I feel more motivated to read F/SN now!:sacchan:

1 hour ago, cro-mag said:

after watching Fate/Stay Night anime

If you mean the original FSN anime, than it's not even remotely indicative of the quality to the original VN. I tried to watch it at some point, and I'm pretty sure I dropped it after the first or the second episode. The characters lose all characterization, which always stood out in Nasu's works for me, and the whole atmosphere of the original is just off. I personally would never recommend anybody to watch it, especially if they are ready to read the VN instead.

To @Dark Cornflakes: if you don't feel like reading the same story again, you can always skip UBW and move directly to HF after finishing Fate. On the other hand, I'd recommend you at least to try reading it. UBW anime is not a bad adaptation, but the problem with VNs is that it's usually simply impossible to adapt them completely faithfully. There will always be little details and the inner monologues that will be lost, and in most cases it's exactly these details that make an average VN good.

And the main problem with FSN adaptations is that none of them are actually complete. None of the routes actually work on their own: they complement each other, and each next route uses the previous ones as the foundation to further develop its ideas and show the new sides of the story, which are impossible to show in a linear story. On the other hand, Fate route doesn't have an adaptation that would give it justice, and the HF adaptation is still ongoing. So far, there's no way to watch the anime and get the same complete experience that you'd get if you read the VN first.

5 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

If you mean the original FSN anime

Well i mean anime of 2006 year. There was only one of those as far as i (and internet) know. Others are movies or Fate/Zero anime or UBW. So i didn't have much of a choice as obviously i wanted to start from the beginning.

Edited by cro-mag

Just now, cro-mag said:

Well i mean anime of 2006 year.

Yeah, that's the one I was talking about. In this particular case, considering how bad it was, skipping it and starting with the later series would actually work better, even considering that none of them are very good as the starting point either.

1 minute ago, Dreamysyu said:

Yeah, that's the one I was talking about. In this particular case, considering how bad it was, skipping it and starting with the later series would actually work better, even considering that none of them are very good as the starting point either.

I see. Well, as i already know one part of the story shown in that show + prequel which is Fate/Zero, might as well someday watch other 2 parts, starting from UBW. Maybe i really will catch up with the series, at least with anime help, as i did with monogatari. Thanks.

31 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

To @Dark Cornflakes: if you don't feel like reading the same story again, you can always skip UBW and move directly to HF after finishing Fate. On the other hand, I'd recommend you at least to try reading it. UBW anime is not a bad adaptation, but the problem with VNs is that it's usually simply impossible to adapt them completely faithfully. There will always be little details and the inner monologues that will be lost, and in most cases it's exactly these details that make an average VN good.

Oh, don't worry. I've heard these exact sentiments echoed by many. One of the reasons why I decided to read the VN was because people said the anime didn't give Shirou the proper characterisation, since a lot of his character comes from his monologues. I'll definitely read from fate route all the way to the HF route.

Sorcery Jokers ...... reaches the end of Haruto's route. Thoughts....

Spoiler

- Well that was one heck of a fight scene ........ but victory is ours!

- Cue heartwarming reunion scene.....

- Cue the fingersnap ........ cue me knowing exactly who it is.....

- Cue me yelling "OH FUUUCK!!"

- Tragedy happens....

- Cue Riku's scream of terror....

Yep, that ended well :Keepo:

Yesterday I finished Tsujidou-san no Jun'ai Road. 楽しかったです :D

Comedy was great in this - I laughed often and loudly :D. As for heroines - if you hate tsunderes, don't touch this game :P Of course most tsundere-ish is Renna, but Ai and Maki are too to some extent. Nevertheless, they're quite likeable :)

If I had to rank routes/endings, it would probably be Ai's True End > Maki = Ai's Normal End > Renna = Saeko - but they're close.

Azusa is also listed as side heroine in walkthrough, but her ending is more like another bad ending for Renna's route - she doesn't have any scenes/CGs or epilogue.

Similarly to Majikoi - if the choice is meaningless, it's worth to explore all options to read all funny bits. Game's system makes it easy with "skip to previous/next choice" buttons.

Art, music and voices are great. Also translation is pretty smooth - there were some typos / bad words here and there, but nothing major. Overally I like Tsurezure Scans' writing style - I liked their work in Hatsukoi 1/1 too.

I had great fun with it - 8/10.

Just started Clannad yesterday, and finished Misae's route. I think it's one of the shorter routes, but the whole VN looks really promising. Music is absolutely beautiful, and damn, those onion-cutting ninjas already manifested themselves even in that short first route. I'm really looking forward to the rest of it.

47 minutes ago, adamstan said:

Just started Clannad yesterday, and finished Misae's route. I think it's one of the shorter routes, but the whole VN looks really promising. Music is absolutely beautiful, and damn, those onion-cutting ninjas already manifested themselves even in that short first route. I'm really looking forward to the rest of it.

Tomoyo and Kyou best girls