What are you playing?

Well, I tried to extract scrpits using ArcTools, but it only exctracted dialogue lines, ommitting everything else (narration, character names above spoken lines etc etc), so I got bunch of files with content like this:

:: word wrap line after, characters=50 ::

- <7B79, 0006> "......"=
- <8296, 0006> "Ai ya~"=
- <8458, 0006> "..."=
- <8948, 0006> "Hey, are you alive?"=
- <89B2, 0006> "...mmm..."=
- <8DA7, 0006> "Hey, what's wrong?"=
- <8E89, 0006> "Are you okay? Can you get home by yourself?"=
- <8F23, 0006> "..."=
- <902D, 0006> "Ah..."=
- <9109, 0006> "... Wo ... xiang yao ... yi bei ... shui."=
- <923D, 0006> "Ai ya..."=
- <92EF, 0006> "Hey."=
- <94A9, 0006> "What happened?"=
- <9A31, 0006> "Damn it."=

There isn't much I can do with it :( I've googled "Ikura GDL script tools" but aforementioned Arctools is the only one that does anything. AE can extract files, but cannot decompile them into text format, as its script module isn't working - they stay as binaries, so unworkable too.

If translation team had to work with something like this, I'm beginning to understand why it's such a mess ;)

Edited by adamstan

19 minutes ago, adamstan said:

Well, I tried to extract scrpits using ArcTools, but it only exctracted dialogue lines, ommitting everything else (narration, character names above spoken lines etc etc), so I got bunch of files with content like this:

:: word wrap line after, characters=50 ::

- <7B79, 0006> "......"=
- <8296, 0006> "Ai ya~"=
- <8458, 0006> "..."=
- <8948, 0006> "Hey, are you alive?"=
- <89B2, 0006> "...mmm..."=
- <8DA7, 0006> "Hey, what's wrong?"=
- <8E89, 0006> "Are you okay? Can you get home by yourself?"=
- <8F23, 0006> "..."=
- <902D, 0006> "Ah..."=
- <9109, 0006> "... Wo ... xiang yao ... yi bei ... shui."=
- <923D, 0006> "Ai ya..."=
- <92EF, 0006> "Hey."=
- <94A9, 0006> "What happened?"=
- <9A31, 0006> "Damn it."=

There isn't much I can do with it :( I've googled "Ikura GDL script tools" but aforementioned Arctools is the only one that does anything. AE can extract files, but cannot decompile them into text format, as its script module isn't working - they stay as binaries, so unworkable too.

If translation team had to work with something like this, I'm beginning to understand why it's such a mess ;)

I think you might want to post this under the Game Technical FAQs & Solutions sub-forum instead

Just finished Fata Morgana Requiem for Innocence. Thoughts:

I never expected the main story of the fandisc to have such a heavy tone to it. I mean, fandiscs are usually meant for fan-service, meaning that they are light-hearted for the most part. But nope, RFI decides to have one hell of a tragic story for the main story (well of course it did; it's Fata Morgana after all). Man, the only other fan disc that I can think of which had such a heavy main story is Sharin no Kuni, and that's not even close in regards to the tragedy in RFI. Well, not that I'm complaining though, since a solid plot with great character development is always welcome. The shared past between Jacopo and Morgana wasn't that much talked about in the original game, so I'm glad the fandisc was able to cover this.

All in all, a 8/10 for me.

Edited by wei123

Reading Little Busters now and apparently there's a seiyuu who's actually voicing 3 characters? 

1.png

2.png

3.png

istg if I didn't know about this beforehand, I would have thought these 3 characters were voiced by 3 different people.

Edited by wei123

I got really into Flowers and I'm now through Summer and Autumn. After the slight mess that was Spring, I can happily say that Summer and Autumn are huge improvements and the series itself is honestly really great. Just about everything is noticeable improved going from Spring to Summer. Spring was in the hard place of building the whole setting for the latter volumes, but Innocent Grey really learned from the experience and it shows. I'm really glad I decided to continue with series.

Flowers -Le Volume sur Été- 
or Summer is, as fitting for the season, a warm and sunny story. Focus is on the budding relationship between Yaegaki and a new student Takasaki Chidori, and everything is built around this. Chapters are less numerous, but more substantial this time and there's some quite excellent high-points even in the middle of the story, as the main pairs relationship grows through shared experiences. 
And a no small part of Summer greatness must also be attributed to Yaegaki's character, which is frankly quite amazing in many ways. Not only is she a really good portrayal of a disabled person in general, but also a quite rare example of a character that is very much in terms with herself. Unlike one would expect or how normally these types of stories tend go, Yaegaki has suffered her existential crisis long before the events of the game. She knows her flaws and how she has to rely on others because of her disability. Because of this rather than just Yaegaki herself growing as a character she's more there to help others grow. A nice kind of supportive protagonist!
Not to mention her lovable sassy and cat-like personality, which creates some amazing interactions with other characters. Her way of thinking also shows nicely in the mystery sections as well, since compared to the "Classical detective" of Souh, Yaegaki's approach is more of a post-modern. I would honestly consider her as one of my favourite protagonists.  

So yeah, for those looking forward the English release, be happy because Flowers Summer is honestly great VN! Just hoping the translation and the general quality of the release won't be as lackluster as in Spring... Flowers deserves more than that.

Flowers -Le Volume sur Automne-
Autumn, featuring everyone's favorite aloof senpai, Yatsushiro Yuzuriha, is in good contrast to Summer very melancholic. Yuzuriha is actually the most sentimental of the protagonist in the series so far, and her worries and uncertainties pour over to the narration creating a somber and somehow refined atmosphere. The fantastic piano soundtrack does wonders as well.
Flowers being a mostly character focused series means Yuzuriha's character and development is what carries the story, and that it does really well, as Yuzuriha turned out to be even better character than I hoped. Struggling between the expectations of others and her inner-self, a good part of the game is spend in Yuzuriha's head. Acting strong to hide own weakness and playing around to escape from worries. The gap between how she behaves and what she really feels is almost painful sometimes, partly because it's so relatable. The story about Yuzuriha's complicated relationship with Nerine and their past is touching, and I really enjoyed their bittersweet tale.

Next, Winter! I have high hopes for you!

Riki's voice appears much later - in parts of Refrain AFAIK. Before that we only hear his screams and whines during baseball and battling minigames.

But Rin and Sasasasasami - yeah, that was good, as they often appear in the same scene.

Edited by adamstan

1 hour ago, adamstan said:

Riki's voice appears much later - in parts of Refrain AFAIK. Before that we only hear his screams and whines during baseball and battling minigames.

But Rin and Sasasasasami - yeah, that was good, as they often appear in the same scene.

Hahahahaha. I really wonder how the voice recording sessions went, but it does go to show how well she can switch between them. I had no idea she did so many voices. The dynamic between Sasami and Rin is really excellent, too, with Sasami being all prim and cultured (and doing the OHOHO laugh even :D) and Rin constantly butchering her name and not caring at all :D. 

SA-SA-SE-GA-WA SA-SA-MI!

Little Busters spoiler

Spoiler

Man but her route though. That route hits like a ton of bricks and there are a lot of chopped onions in that route. *shudders quietly*

Edited by snowbell55

Finished both of eden and Sono Hanabira 11 (Will comment more on those later), and right now I'm fiddling with Amayui here with the interface patch help (Once again good luck to the translation project). As for the next plan, I'll resume my Fureraba playthrough at June later.

Edited by littleshogun

Quite a few people reading Fureraba. I just got Yuzuyu's affinity up high enough, and choose the Confess option. I'll see how the date goes tomorrow. She's probably best girl for me, even though I know nothing about the other girls....

For some reason, I almost always like the Tsundere types. Basically, Michiru (Grisaia) and Yuzuyu tie for my favorite Tsundere types.

Then there's Kei (ef), Kotori (IMHHW), and Kyou (Clannad), are also characters I like. Even though Kei seems like a Tsundere/Kuudere hybrid (if that makes sense)...

:wahaha:

Still playing Pygmalion and I'm still enjoying it I gotta say, but man it's kind of confusing sometimes. They keep trying to hit me with these weird bombshells. I've got one of the endings so far and I guess there are three to go?

I've also played through two routes in Ace Academy which I enjoyed much more than I thought I would. The humor was decent and I liked that it didn't take place in a fucking high school. It would have been even better if they didn't base it in Japan like so many other OVENS. The voice acting is alright though they pronounced alias wrong. I don't care for the timed response things as it makes skipping through text a chore. The abrupt ending is also pretty lame. Still it's solid and I like the fact that the sprites had abundant amount of clothes to wear. That's pretty surprising since most vns barely bother with more than one change of clothes.

I also completed Wolf Tales which was a fun romp and even though it was real short I didn't feel unsatisfied. You jus gotsta luv dem Wolf Girls mang!

Edited by Ranzo

Finished the main story in The House in Fata Morgana: Requiem for Innocence, and, great, now I'm crying over a fictional story. :yumiko: Nice job. Good that I was alone at home when I reached the end.

I'll write more when I read the side stories, but overall I can say that the story was really good. It's just on the same level as the main game, and, if you liked it, it's definitely worth a try. Especially if you, like me, are a fan of Morgana and

Spoiler

Jacopo.

5 hours ago, Ranzo said:

I've got one of the endings so far and I guess there are three to go?

Yeah, but the endings are actually really short. This VN only branches when it's practically finished. And don't forget to skip through the whole VN again after you reach the true ending. A few additional scenes will unlock.

1 hour ago, Dreamysyu said:

Finished the main story in The House in Fata Morgana: Requiem for Innocence, and, great, now I'm crying over a fictional story. :yumiko: Nice job. Good that I was alone at home when I reached the end.

I'll write more when I read the side stories, but overall I can say that the story was really good. It's just on the same level as the main game, and, if you liked it, it's definitely worth a try. Especially if you, like me, are a fan of Morgana and

Reveal hidden contents

Jacopo.

Definitely one of the most depressing fandiscs I've ever read. Most of the side stories are also rather serious as well, though there's one which was quite lighthearted and entertaining. As for

Jacpo, I didn't think much of his character in the original story since it felt like his past was summarized, rather than being expanded upon. The character development shown in RFI was incredible, and while I saw some plot twists coming (like Ceren being a spy), I certainly did not expect everyone related to Jacopo (and Jacopo) to die. The whole truth behind the events wasn't revealed in the original story since Michel interfered, so when the truth came to light, it goes to show that the truth isn't always as nice as you think it is.

Today, as a break between Fureraba routes, I decided to revisit the first VN I played loooong time ago - True Love ~Jun'ai Monogatari~. It has something in common with Fureraba, as it's too a mix of VN and dating sim ;) (although leaning much more towards dating sim side).

What can I say - it shows its age, but nevertheless it was enjoyable experience. Girls are nice and pretty good looking - the whole game has that pixel-art charm to it. It seems to me that main heroine is Mikae - she gets most of the screen-time, and her route is easiest to get.

3435.jpg

Actually I liked her - I wonder if it's because of this that I have soft spot for osananajimi heroines ;)

As it was mentioned in other threads - it is possible to get all but one endings in one playthrough (you have to chose between Mikae and Remi), although that requires some heavy saving and reloading to beat the almighty RNG - many events are happening at random, and if they don't trigger, you're locked out of the route they belong to. It made the game little annoying at times. Second complain I have is the localization quality - it's rather messy. Supposedly browser version at Asenheim Project's site has some translation fixes, but I played old Win95 version. There were many typos, grammar errors, and often dialogue lines were mislabeled - like the girl's part was labeled as protag, and the other way around.

So considering it all - 6.5/10  (it got +0.5 for sentimental reasons ;) )

Not bad, you can give it a shot if you're feeling sentimental, but don't expect breathtaking greatness either.

Edited by adamstan

Finished Yuzuyu's route in Fureraba the other day. And I absolutely loved her. Maybe I just liked the fact that she just throws her emotions out there (to the point she can barely control them, and gets flustered easily).

Then I took a break inbetween routes to play Voices from the Sea . It's a very short visual novel, that is free, and probably no one has heard of. For what it is, it's pretty good. The beach backgrounds are really colorful, and it even has scrolling clouds, very nice. The moral of the story, about "counting your blessings", was also something I could really appreciate.

"Magical Girl" Maris made me chuckle more then once. There was also a freaking Chrono Trigger reference in there!

Some of the unlockable side content ........... was really weird and out there. Seriously.... :wahaha:

I'll give it a 7/10. If you want a relaxing read for an afternoon, check it out.

And now back to Fureraba. Let's see what the childhood friend Himari is like....

8 minutes ago, r0xm2n said:

Then I took a break inbetween routes to play Voices from the Sea . It's a very short visual novel, that is free, and probably no one has heard of. For what it is, it's pretty good. The beach backgrounds are really colorful, and it even has scrolling clouds, very nice. The moral of the story, about "counting your blessings", was also something I could really appreciate.

"Magical Girl" Maris made me chuckle more then once. There was also a freaking Chrono Trigger reference in there!

Some of the unlockable side content ........... was really weird and out there. Seriously.... :wahaha:

I'll give it a 7/10. If you want a relaxing read for an afternoon, check it out.

Oh me me me me me, I heard of it! I played it as well! I can't really add much since you said pretty much everything about the good points of this VN: Short but nice, simple and perfect for relaxing, Maris is cute and her reactions are totally worth of loading previous saves to get all shells. I gave it a 7 as well.

34 minutes ago, r0xm2n said:

Then I took a break inbetween routes to play Voices from the Sea . It's a very short visual novel, that is free, and probably no one has heard of.

Zeiva Inc., the dev behind it, is actually the author of X-Note and Area-X, highly regarded western otomege and the game iself isn't that obscure. Just FYI. ;) And I agree, quite a sweet little title, played it a long time ago but have some fond memories of it. 

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

7 hours ago, wei123 said:

After weeks of grinding through the individual character routes in Little Busters, I've now finally unlocked Refrain. Looking forward to see what lies in store for me :wafuu:

Hope you enjoy it - Refrain is one of the best routes in the VN. Planning on doing the EX routes after or?