What are you playing?

3 minutes ago, Trickay said:

I've been quite busy lately with work but finally got round to finishing Amane's route in Grisaia... onto Yumiko's next I think.

Reveal hidden contents

I really enjoyed Amane's lord of the flies like backstrory!

Have fun in regard of Yumiko's route later.

As for the sequels (Meikyuu and Rakuen), well I'd rather call those the fandiscs but it's not like it'll be wrong here if some people call those as sequels. Some of the problem from the sequels is in regard of the ending in which quite out of character to say it without spoiler. My argument in regard of Grisaia sequels is that Meikyuu should be enough if Frontwing just want to write that as sequel, just like Sharin FD and Akagoei.

Then again, perhaps it's understandable if Frontwing want to deliver the sequels quickly to regain some money. For the trivia, Frontwing was broke back when they developed Kajitsu, so basically Kajitsu here is their last gamble back at 2011. But still I would like to think that they can make the ending better by made Yuuji able to choose the heroine that he did had the ending with, just like Galaxy Angel.

tldr - While Kajitsu here is quite good and complete, I'm more or less just think the sequels as the fan discs. Feel free though if you want to read the sequels/fan discs later.

5 hours ago, Trickay said:

I've been quite busy lately with work but finally got round to finishing Amane's route in Grisaia... onto Yumiko's next I think.

Reveal hidden contents

Amane's flashback holds a special place in my heart, and it's been a year since I read it. It still somewhat haunts me...

On 5/19/2018 at 5:06 PM, Trickay said:

Reveal hidden contents

I still remember Amane's route very clearly despite reading it 4 years ago.

Spoiler

Great story with some horrific moments and a rather brutal ending. Surviving parts were very good. And dat final moments of escape! Plus this route has my favorite girl in Grisaia - Kazuki.

On 5/19/2018 at 5:19 PM, littleshogun said:

Have fun in regard of Yumiko's route later.

As for the sequels (Meikyuu and Rakuen), well I'd rather call those the fandiscs but it's not like it'll be wrong here if some people call those as sequels. Some of the problem from the sequels is in regard of the ending in which quite out of character to say it without spoiler. My argument in regard of Grisaia sequels is that Meikyuu should be enough if Frontwing just want to write that as sequel, just like Sharin FD and Akagoei.

Then again, perhaps it's understandable if Frontwing want to deliver the sequels quickly to regain some money. For the trivia, Frontwing was broke back when they developed Kajitsu, so basically Kajitsu here is their last gamble back at 2011. But still I would like to think that they can make the ending better by made Yuuji able to choose the heroine that he did had the ending with, just like Galaxy Angel.

tldr - While Kajitsu here is quite good and complete, I'm more or less just think the sequels as the fan discs. Feel free though if you want to read the sequels/fan discs later.

Personally, i wouldn't call them fan discs. To me they feel like true sequels. Dunno, at the end of 1st and 2nd VNs you can say that story is incomplete. There are unanswered questions and such. And regarding Rakuen ending:

Spoiler

I still didn't read the VN, but i read about ending intentionally. I didn't mind spoilers there. And i honestly don't quite sure how i feel about it. On the one hand - you don't have to choose anyone, so no regrets like "I'm with Amane, but unfortunatelly without Yumiko" or such. On the other hand... Dunno, that somehow doesn't feel right? Maybe i'd prefer they'd better made each girl's ending + the one we have here. Otherwise all of this is somehow doubtful...

@cro-mag If you think that, it's not wrong because VNDB listed both of Meikyuu and Rakuen as sequel. Then again, some of fandisc is also known to elaborate some missing plot point or in this case have some continuation from canon, so it's only fair that if I call those two as fandiscs. Moreso if we considering that between Kajitsu and Meikyuu there is zero continuity (Kajitsu is charage with endings for each girl, while Meikyuu canon didn't continue from available routes), in which the anime fixed that continuity problem (It's quite infamous though). As for Rakuen's ending, well Frontwing can just apply the route selection like Galaxy Angel, but then again maybe they kind of rush the release so they didn't have time to apply that. In the end, I leave it to each of their own.

For the title, right now I've been playing eden for a while and right now I'm near the end of that. I'll try to comment on eden later.

Are Meikyuu and Rakuen what Fate Hollow Ataraxia is to FSN?

Just an awesome fan disc with some original content and side stories but no real continuation of the plot?

In other news I somehow ended up going down Michiru's route, which I personally feel should have ended when

Spoiler

She climbed out of the coffin. Not liking where this heart transplant plot is going.

I really enjoyed Eden littleshogun, though the drama is a little forced it was something I just couldn't put down.

Edited by Trickay
typo

5 minutes ago, Trickay said:

Just an awesome fan disc with some original content and side stories but no real continuation of the plot?

No. They are precisely the continuation of the plot. They have a bit more side-content, such as afterstories, but are otherwise a sort of 'true route' for Grisaia.

Finally finished ef - the fairy tale of the two.

Interesting read ....... that managed to gut punch me in the feels harder then anything I've ever read. Emotionally, I was almost destroyed...

Spoiler

Yuuko's backstory will forever haunt me. That horrific panic attack speaks volumes...

At least the Shindou twins are my favorite twins. Both Kei and Chihiro were great.

I think I need a read that is a bit more light hearted for now :wahaha:

8 hours ago, Trickay said:

In other news I somehow ended up going down Michiru's route, which I personally feel should have ended when

Reveal hidden contents

She climbed out of the coffin. Not liking where this heart transplant plot is going.

I really enjoyed Eden littleshogun, though the drama is a little forced it was something I just couldn't put down.

FHA is a combination of all 3 routes in FSN, but it felt a bit more like Carnival Phantasm for the most part, and thus more of a fan disc than an actual sequel. This is in contrast to Meikyuu and Rauken, since Meikyuu has short after-stories for each heroine and the "Grand route" (aka the true route), while Rauken continues where the Grand route in Meikyuu left off without any side-stories (though it does have a prologue and epilogue, but I digress).

Edited by wei123

Started reading Fureraba ....... and what have I gotten myself into? I don't think I've laughed so much in the first hour of a VN before....

Spoiler

..... and good GRIEF did that cute looking pink twin tailed girl suddenly morph into the most verbally violent motormouth ever!

...... she might be best girl?

:wahaha:

8 hours ago, r0xm2n said:

Finally finished ef - the fairy tale of the two.

Interesting read ....... that managed to gut punch me in the feels harder then anything I've ever read. Emotionally, I was almost destroyed...

Hide contents

Yuuko's backstory will forever haunt me. That horrific panic attack speaks volumes...

At least the Shindou twins are my favorite twins. Both Kei and Chihiro were great.

Congrats on finishing ef. Take a *hug* :sachi:

Now you can go watch the anime if you feel like it. It's actually pretty good most of the times. Shaft gave it their own style and spice. They ruined the finale of Yuuko's tale though, so keep that in mind beforehand. 

Still reading F/SN Heaven's feel after taking a break for studying :leecher:

Spoiler

7a112834e030c9ba2921c1abd2270d06.png

And Sakura mmm... I get Yandere vibes, and that's all I can say so far. She didn't have much protagonism for the time being. 

I KNEW THAT THE BITCH WAS A YANDERE, GODDAMIT. My instincts have never failed me.

Edited by Thyndd

So, before following the recent Battle Royal trend and start playing... Fatal Twelve, I wanted to first clear up my backlog a bit. Therefore, since I kinda liked Gahkthun, I started playing Sekien no Inganock. And since I also got Himawari in a sale just like Stein's Gate, and the latter turned out to be pretty okay, I started that one reading too.

29226.jpg 

When I started reading Inganock, I was honestly surprised how grim it was. I think the last VN I read that was that grim was probably Saya no Uta, although that was even more grim. While Gahkthun did showcase a prosperous and lively city centered on the high society and their dark secrets, Inganock is an almost desperate place. A city suffering from various super natural sicknesses, mutating, mutilating and killing vast amounts of people. The city is split into several levels, with the healthy and wealthy people at the top, and the sickly and poor deported to the lower slum levels. The whole theme reminds me a lot of Fallout and Shadowrun. It's a bit depressing, but the atmosphere still sucks you in.

The protagonist is a doctor who tries is best to heal the poor and help where he can. He's a really likable dude who's currently top candidate for my protagonist of the year. The writing is a bit more on the poetic side sometimes, but overall it's pretty good and has a very mature touch. Kia is an innocent child Gee rescued in the slums and also behaves like that. Atty is technically also a victim of a sickness, but she was lucky enough to just be turned into a cat girl and could be more or less considered Gee's girlfriend. The three stick together and pretty much build a family with some funny and touching interaction between them.

Art is a bit outdated though. Music is better even if some get a bit more repetitive after a while. If it comes to presentation, Gahkthun is certainly the better title. Can't judge the story yet though.

28410.jpg

Himawari is almost the opposite like Inganock. You have your loli moe blob and the writing is a mixture of goofy comedy, lots of cutesy talk and rather dull slice of life. To be perfectly honest, it's absolutely dreadful. I knew that it was supposed to have a weak start, so I waited until the second chapter - and it got worse. Overall, there are massive problems in almost every area, beginning from the lackluster world building to the characters, the writing and the whole tone of the VN.

Warning: Rant incoming! <_<

Spoiler

Let's start with the characters. They are either goofballs (Ginga, Daigo), over-cutified moeballs (Aries, Aoi) or just bland (Youichi, Akira, Asuka). The only character that appeared to be a somewhat normal intelligent being was Souichirou, who's just a side character. Aqua seems to be a bit better at first, but overall she isn't much different and gets most her sympathy points by pity-mongering. But the worst of them all is probably Aries who's currently my top candidate for worst heroine of the year, even if Aoi is a strong contender.

Most of the problems are caused by the overall bad writing. Apparently this is supposed to be a story VN, but besides some short info-dumps from time to time, it's pretty much just cutesy talk, misplaced comedy and dreadful boring slice of life. And what makes it even worse are the endless 'sexual implications' everywhere. Aries tries to slime herself into Youichi's bed while he can hardyl keep his boner in check. Keeping things innocent isn't possible since you get a bad end if you refuse to sleep with Aries. And writing an emotional climax without any backstory to make the reader feel it is kinda pointless.

The second chapter is even worse with Daigo ending up all over Aqua spreading legs after almost every conversation. Very tasteful indeed, considering there's a good chance he's her father. And it goes on and on with Aries 'Wieners', Aqua's tampons, Aoi only having wet thoughts. There's pretty much no normal conversation going on. It's almost written like a nukige without H-scenes.

And then the world building, which also affects the characters a lot. Aries is supposed to be coding genius, but she erases her own program five times in a row because she's so 'clumsy'. I've no problem with a character being clumsy - but not in their area of expertise. I've seen quite a lot of well written genius girls in VN's (Haru in G-Senjou, Sion in Eden, etc.), but Aries is certainly the worst I've ever read. As a good coder she should at least be a good logical thinker, but she's almost represented like a brain-amputated chipmunk. And the same applies to Aoi. And then they use a short program for a silvester rocket from her for their space ship, since it's almost 'exactly the same'. And then we have a fascinating second chapter in space where the only indicator are the backgrounds. I guess writing something about the fascinating aspects of a life on a space ship would have been too much work.

I'm also not a big fan of multi-protag stories with heavy back blendings and enforced route order. And the super-cutsy art style and the somewhat plain voice acting didn't really help. At least judging by the old sprites, which were a bit less moe-heavy, it's possible that they even made things worse.

While it's possible that it gets a bit better later on (it can't really get worse anymore), the fact that I don't give the slightest damn about the whole cast anymore, makes it pointless for me to continue => Dropped.

Heroine rating: Don't care >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Aoi > Aries

Overall rating: 2 / 10

Edited by ChaosRaven

6 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

It gets worse. :makina:

Meh, i don't think so. Aries' route and the first half of 2048 were the really bad parts.

Anyway, finished Da Capo. I was thinking about doing the whole trilogy, but with only 3 out of 7 routes being decent, it's gonna take a while until i try the second one.

37 minutes ago, onorub said:

Meh, i don't think so. Aries' route and the first half of 2048 were the really bad parts.

Anyway, finished Da Capo. I was thinking about doing the whole trilogy, but with only 3 out of 7 routes being decent, it's gonna take a while until i try the second one.

For what it's worth, I found Da Capo 2 to be WAY better than the first one.

2 hours ago, onorub said:

As a bit of advice, try 2nd one anyway. Imo it's better. Although i have to say that i don't care about 3 out of 6 routes in the game (if i remember correctly, that's what you have in the original version, they added more later, but it's in japanese only). But other 3 are good, depends on your preferences though. And i have my most favorite girl here among all Da Capo VNs. Want to read Da Capo 2 Spring Celebration so much, but, again, japanese only... Such is life, unfortunately.

3 hours ago, onorub said:

Do not take DC 1 as reference for DC 2 and DC 3, those are way better as @Flutterz mentioned. 

In my case I started backwards, from DC 3 > DC 2 > DC1 , and honestly, i just played sakura's route out of respect. 2 and 3 are worth the time.

I put Hatsukoi on the back burner and I might return to it at some point, but I dunno. 3:10 to Yuuma is just so annoying to me I can't deal. 

Moved on to Shadows of Pygmalion and it's nice having a protag I don't want to smash through a plate glass window.
The story is getting pretty interesting so far so I'm content.

Yesterday I finished Kazoku Keikaku (Family Project). Man, that was heavy... definitely not moege :P 

I read it in order suggested by walkthroughs - Matsuri, Chunhua, Masumi, Jun and Aoba, throwing bad ending somewhere in between. Hard to choose best girl, but as of route ranking, I think that Aoba was definitely the best, thanks to her development, followed by Jun and Matsuri, then Chunhua and at the end Masumi - her route felt the weakest for me. However, all routes have good after-credits epilogues.

Protagonist also changes in a good way - at the beginning he was sometimes unbearable.

Sometimes the drama felt little over the top. However, this VN gave me again some food for thought about relationships etc - big plus.

The game itself has some quirks - for example

Spoiler

Both Jun and Chunhua have their H-scenes during the common route (Chunhua actually at the very beginning of the game - that took me by surprise)

Art and music was OK - nothing to write home about, but nothing horrible either. Backgrounds were good, and most character sprites too. Variable title screen was nice touch - at the beginning there is just empty house, but as you complete character routes, they appear on the title screen and when the game is completed it looks pretty lively :)

Unfortunately - translation is total mess :( I remember reading about it in reviews, but it starts out OK and it keeps that decent level up to ~3/4 of the common route. Then it falls apart and turns into unedited mess, that often is hard to figure out - lots of typos, some missing lines, mismatched tenses, pronouns and particles etc etc. Often sentences seem to be translated out of context, which results in mismatched subjects. Knowing something about Japanese grammar I was able to somehow reverse-engineer it and figure it out (like, stripping the sentence of subjects and other things which are often omitted in Japanese and then trying to put it in context), but that was quite a chore.

It looks like they ran out of either time or money for editing during the production and left last part unedited. Mind you, I read patched version - reportedly it was much worse in the first version.

However here's the strangest thing about this. In the transition between common route and character routes there are some scenes/lines that repeat in each route - however in the script they are treated separately, as "skipping read text" doesn't pick them up. AND IN EACH ROUTE THEY ARE TRANSLATED/EDITED DIFFERENTLY! Ranging from almost decent to incomprehensible gibberish. WTF? At some lines it falls down almost to the level of infamous original translation of Agehas route in Konosora.

So to sum it up - nice game, not exactly pleasant read but engaging. Unfortunately it loses points due to editing, as fighting with translation somehow dampened emotional impact of the routes. 7/10  (later raised to 7.5/10)

Now I definitely need something lighter. I think it's finally time for Fureraba.

Edited by adamstan

As far as I know the patch literally changed only a few lines, one of which was (I believe) an 'over 9000' meme.  What I heard was that they were considering doing more, but would have had to go back to the company to make any such patch, and the company was like 'we gave you a patch already, go away'.

I think I probably could try to re-edit it into something more readable, but there are two problems.

1) I don't know/have the tools to extract script and then put it back into game
2) Probably there aren't too many people still interested in reading (or re-reading) such ancient VN.

2 hours ago, adamstan said:

2) Probably there aren't too many people still interested in reading (or re-reading) such ancient VN.

I don't know, the author is pretty famous, so there might be some interested people, though I'm not sure how many. Personally, I'd definitely be interested in reading it if the translation was better.