What are you playing?

I finished Sharin no Kuni. I can't say that it's going to be one of the most memorable VNs I've ever played, but it was very enjoyable. It was kinda like experiencing Grisaia all over again. The girls had all very interesting personalities and you really get attached to them by the end. 

Spoiler

If I had to mention something that kinda got a little on my nerves it'd be how they try to pass off clearly controversial situations as the absolute correct moral choice. I find the internal conflict interesting and by all means keep it going, but I'd appreciate if you let me decide what's right or wrong on my own.

As a representative example, we have all the Mana thing. I don't care how humilliating it is for you or how low you fall. You can commit seppuku for all I care, but Mana is an innocent child who was sold pretty much to a pimp. That's fucked up and listen, that's ok, but you are not going to convince me otherwise. 

As for the characters, probably the most interesting one is actually Houzuki. I would've liked to dive deeper into his motives and personality, and because the story doesn't do that, the ending felt a little anticlimatic. Oh well.

Finished Steins;Gate 0. Not quite as good as the original but it gets bonus points by having actual routes. I think the biggest problem with it is the same i had with the MajiKoi sequels, where the new characters aren't as great as the original cast and it makes the overall cast overbloated.

10 hours ago, Thyndd said:

I finished Sharin no Kuni. I can't say that it's going to be one of the most memorable VNs I've ever played, but it was very enjoyable. It was kinda like experiencing Grisaia all over again. The girls had all very interesting personalities and you really get attached to them by the end. 

Hide contents

As for the characters, probably the most interesting one is actually Houzuki. I would've liked to dive deeper into his motives and personality, and because the story doesn't do that, the ending felt a little anticlimatic. Oh well.

Actually, the fandisc delves deep into Houzuki's past so you will definitely better understand his motives and personality in Sharin.

P.S The fandisc also contains afterstories for each heroine but like in Grisaia no Meikyuu, they are only there for fanservice so important parts like character development and plot development are thrown out of the window.

Edited by wei123

53 minutes ago, wei123 said:

Actually the fandisc delves deep into Houzuki's past so you will definitely better understand his motives and personality in Sharin.

P.S The fandisc also contains afterstories for each heroine but like in Grisaia no Meikyuu, they are only there for fanservice so important parts like character development and plot development are thrown out of the window.

Huh, interesting, I shall have a look. Thank you for the info!

In all honesty I like that so much of Houzuki was a complete mystery, it made him a very intriguing adversary. That's why I never liked the fandisc because it swept away a lot of that.

True to my word I started up Inganock and so far I'm really liking it. I'm on chapter four right now and I already really dig Ati

I think this song really fits the VN well

On 17/4/2018 at 9:26 AM, r0xm2n said:

Starting ef - the first tale.

Can't really comment much on what's going on yet. But I'm liking some of the very chill music....

OK, I'm a little late, but I hope you are enjoying ef :yumiko: I know it's not perfect, but it's still my favorite romance VN to date. Let me know your thoughts :sachi:

I'm reading Fate/Stay Night, currently on day 11 of the Fate route. The story is very compelling and the characters are great (aside from Shirou, that is). I even came to like Tousaka, and I'm kind of a tsundere hater. And Saber is just the cutest, How can I summon one? :sacchan: I just love strong but still very human female characters. 

6 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

I'm reading Fate/Stay Night, currently on day 11 of the Fate route. The story is very compelling and the characters are great (aside from Shirou, that is). I even came to like Tousaka, and I'm kind of a tsundere hater. And Saber is just the cutest, How can I summon one? :sacchan: I just love strong but still very human female characters. 

Have you read any of the bad ends yet? I gave up after reaching 3-4 of them since there were simply too many bad ends. Also, you've mentioned Rin and Saber but how do you feel about Sakura? 

21 minutes ago, wei123 said:

Have you read any of the bad ends yet? I gave up after reaching 3-4 of them since there were simply too many bad ends. Also, you've mentioned Rin and Saber but how do you feel about Sakura? 

Yeah, a couple of them. Tiger dojo is hilarious :makina: Once I finish the route I might go back to read them all. 

And Sakura mmm... I get Yandere vibes, and that's all I can say so far. She didn't have much protagonism for the time being. 

7 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

Yeah, a couple of them. Tiger dojo is hilarious :makina: Once I finish the route I might go back to read them all. 

And Sakura mmm... I get Yandere vibes, and that's all I can say so far. She didn't have much protagonism for the time being. 

What about Kirei - specifically his voice? They chose a really great VA for him :D.

31 minutes ago, snowbell55 said:

What about Kirei - specifically his voice? They chose a really great VA for him :D.

Lol, if it isn't Lelouch and the Burakku fureimu mastaa :sacchan: I'm terrible at recognizing voices, but now that I know it yeah, it does sound like him. 

Edit : ok, no, fail :leecher: but he did perform in code geass... So I guess I was close 

Edited by Thyndd

I've started reading To Heart 2 and man, it is FUNNY. I'm really enjoying it a bunch. I find myself having a hard time deciding which route I want to try and get onto first (which is a good problem to have) and I find that when I read, I don't get my fill and want to keep on reading :D. Several of the characters seem interesting and I've already found my favorite thus far. There's also been a memorable scene I'm not sure I'll forget for quite a while:

Spoiler

The MC's late to school, and runs in just before the gate closes. The catch is he stops running right after getting through the gate, so because of that a girl isn't able to enter the gate and gets locked out. All of this escalates into a strange "I'll get you back" type situation and eventually, the girl winds up giving this really ridiculous, long-winded, and crazy rant, that ends with her saying she could pour mayonnaise all over the MC XD.  

I really think she needs help LOL. The description doesn't do it justice: it's so much funnier when you read it. I read that part last night and thinking about it now I'm still laughing so hard there are tears in my eyes. I'm really enjoying the VN - it's exactly what I was hoping for in my next read: something relaxing, funny, and fun to read, that makes me want to keep reading. 

52 minutes ago, MaggieROBOT said:

I wouldn't mind waking up earlier to hear him offering the Mass  :yumiko:

Hahahaha. It's such a great voice, though, isn't it? It really fits him well. 

I too started ToHeart2, we'll see how it turns out. One thing that bothers me slightly is NVL interface - fullscreen text is tiring to read for me (and the fact that spoken lines aren't tagged with character names). I much prefer ADV interface with text box at the bottom. But I'll try to endure it, as from all descriptions I've read, the VN seems nice.

BTW After experiencing some truly horribly drawn private parts in decensoring patches for other games, I'm sticking with mosaics for this :P

Edited by adamstan

AA Spirit of Justice is done

Really good, they improved virtually all aspects compared to Dual Destinies, the 3D sprites look better(?) and are custom animated more often ie. Trucy's sword swapping trick testimony,

They brought the back ability to Examine any locations for some much needed world depth and character banters (best one is Polly's newt vs Thena's gecko vs. Nick's lizard)

Divination Seances are fun, for once they implemented a new trial gimmick that I enjoyed. Divination Seance > Mood Matrix > Psyche Locks > Bracelet

Prosecutor Sahmahghandi-idk was pretty cool. I bit too overbearing at times with the Let it goes but I liked his graceful-in-defeat attitude, and he meshed very well with Ema. We haven't seen a good prosecutor/detective duo since Edgeworth/Gumshoe. Klavier/Ema was ew, Blackquill/Fulbright was atrocious.

Did I just mention Ema? She's baack, and ermergawd she's a legit forensics investigator kyaaaa!@#

Maya's back too, but oh my god it feels so weird that she's 28, older than Detective Skye, and even MORE weird that the English VA they chose is decently deep voiced (I kinda have her in my head at least 5 pitches higher, idk). She finally gets to show off the results of all her being MIA training by flawlessly spirit channeling, but l0l I'm surprised they didn't bother to voice that scene considering they took the time to voice Rayfa's Divination Seances. P.S. Why'd she have to channel that person though, oof gonna have nightmares

Rayfa's a great Ojou-tsuntsun, her mix of formal vocabulary into childish insults suits her 14 year old spoiled dutiful princess character perfectly. Barbed Head is also one of Nick's greatest aliases.

~~
Cases were in general more entertaining than Dual Destinites, maybe because the Accused are mostly people you know so it's more personal along with other factors like the DC Act increasing the stakes

Apollo finally gets a massive focus and info dump about his past, sometimes it makes me wonder if the writers thought of this stuff already when they made AA4 and AA5 or if they only started BSing this stuff once they made this game >.>

They did a relatively good job of making me care for Apollo's peeps this time around, man I'll never get over how badly they flopped with

Spoiler

Clay last game, jesus that guy was pure fodder and didn't justify pitting Apollo against Athena at all, just made Apollo look like a total temper tantruming scrub

Athena got the Dual Destinites Trucy Wright from-main-to-background-character treatment, I guess cuz her story kind of ended already but man Case 4 really felt like they shoehorned in it to say "Don't worry guys, we didn't forget about Athena!" better than nothing I guess.

Case 5 was... super. I got flashback chills to Trials & Tribulation's Case 5 with how convoluted it was and how it would just spam plot twists back to back keeping you on the edge of your seat. Really fun. They need to nerf spirit channeling though pls, it's waaay too overpowered for these cases xD. One thing I will nitpick though was the first half, the Nick vs. Polly portion. Writers did an absolutely abysmal job setting that one up, and what should've been an iconic, epic showdown was instead just a big F*** YOU letdown

Ending was, I guess bittersweet? I'm glad Athena and Trucy objected to that decision instead of everyone unanimously agreeing, it fits how I felt :P but 'tis for the best~

~~
All I got left is I guess some of the DLC episodes and maybe then I'll check out AA Investigations and that one spinoff PL vs. PW

Ratings

Spoiler

AA1 PW - 7
AA2 JfA - 6
AA3 T&T- 8
AA4 AJ - 6
AA5 DD - 7
AA6 SoJ - 8 

Favorite Cross Examine theme: Spirit of Justice > Dual Destinies > Phoenix Wright > Trials & Tribulation > Justice for All > Apollo Justice

SoJ & DD because modern and SoJ is catchier, PW because none of the future themes ever really reached the same level of ominousity, Apollo Justice is last because I hate Bracelet mechanic and it's basically the same tune

Best protagonist: Phoenix > Athena > Apollo. Nick was one of the cooler protagonists for me because I liked how he was able to separate his inner sarcastic nature from surfacing in his outward interactions, ie. whenever you play as Athena/Apollo you always see Phoenix as this calm, cool veteran lawyer you look up to, none of the sweating bullets and sneery comments. Athena was fun and Apollo was aight but the failed Nick successor.

Best assistant/tag along: Maya > Rayfa > Trucy > Ema

Best detective: Ema because forensics and she's hawt > Gumshoe bro > Fulbright flop

Best prosecutor: Edgeworth > Godot > Sahmahgahlah > Blackquill > Franzisca / Manfred > Payne > Klavier. Based on their story & overall personality in court.

Finished with Subahibi, and for the ending what I got is 'Wonderful Everyday'. I'll try to write my detailed comment later on, but at least my life here changing a bit if someome ask me whether my life is changing or not after finished Subahibi (The change is that I finished another VN here lol).

As PreCure fan, I like that SCA-DI did had Hasaki mentioed PreCure by asking Tomosane can become one or not. While Tomosane himself said that he can't be a PreCure, actually it's not impossible though because he at least looking handsome XD. More importantly, fan also like to joke that there's some interesting male cures candidate, so I think Tomosane himself is the good candidate for another male cure XDD.

Spoiler

Although Hasaki mentioned PreCure here, actually it's impossible though that she knew PreCure because the year is should be at 2009 and Hasaki mentioned PreCure in the flashback back at 2001 (The incident was happened at 7 years ago and Hasaki came to the village a year before that). But if we follow the in-promotion year (2012), the series at 2004 (The supposed in game year when Hasaki mentioned PreCure) should be the original which is only consist of two girls, so I understand Tomosane hesitation of he became the Cure XD.

Long story short, the in-game date here was inconsistent with real life date if we treat in-game year as 2012.

Edited by littleshogun

I've just completed Shizuru's route in Rewrite; it was so much better than I expected. The first 3 routes were decent enough but this route tops all of them tbh. I was gearing towards a low 8 rating after clearing the first 3 routes but now I'm not so sure anymore.

I'm still not done with Akane,Terra and Moon so hopefully I will enjoy them even more than Shizuru's route.

So I finished reading Doki Doki Literature Club!. I felt I needed to read it after all the attention it has been getting and to get a break from reading the massive novel Sakura no Uta and yeah it was kind of what I expected after having been spoiled about all the major plot points. I still enjoyed it though.

Spoiler

I kind of wished some parts were further explored, like the breaking of the fourth wall and the "routes" generally. Some parts of the horror element too felt a bit shallow and well not exactly scary outside of the "jump scare" effect, compared to Umineko and it's "horror" elements which I felt slowly crept up on you reading. This might just be an after effect of me having been majorly spoiled but, meh just something I thought of while reading. 

Still definitely an impressive feat for an OELVN and something of an eye-opener for my view of the "genre" (my first VN was Katawa Shoujo but since then I have not read a single one). I guess the game is too short for me to really make a thorough review of my opinions so I will just stick to leaving this small notice.

23 minutes ago, r0xm2n said:

Still playing ef....

And Kei is officially my favourite Kuudere heroine. She's really grown on me somehow.

Wouldn't she be more like a Tsundere rather? :vanilla:

Anyway, I'm not that big a fan of that first love triangle. For me it was the worst part of ef. In case you eventually feel the same, I just wanted to let you know that it gets better later on :sachi:

On 4/17/2018 at 7:41 PM, Jun Inoue said:

Happy to hear that! And I very much recommend to have Mask of Truth ready, because the moment you finish Mask of Deception... you're not gonna want to wait and see what happens. Good luck with the epic journey!

Gah - you were so right. I just finished it (Mask of Deception) earlier today and man, that ending... That ending!!! Now I *REALLY* want to read Mask of Truth but seeing as I want a physical copy I'll have to wait a bit to get it which is a bit frustrating as I want to read it right now lol... Such a great read, though, and it was really fun. It had me hooked pretty well towards the end, and I really enjoyed it. 

Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception ending spoilers

Spoiler

That last scene though - the way Kuon just incinerated the shadows - that was actually a bit scary, since she seemed to be mostly fun and friendly the whole time and never really showed a sense of "danger" like Atuy or Cocopo (XD). I really wonder if she was holding back all this time or something. And I really wonder how things will change in Mask of Truth with her gone. 

Poor Nekone though... 

That was actually a really good VN, come to think of it. 

Edited by snowbell55

16 minutes ago, snowbell55 said:

Gah - you were so right. I just finished it (Mask of Deception) earlier today and man, that ending... That ending!!! Now I *REALLY* want to read Mask of Truth but seeing as I want a physical copy I'll have to wait a bit to get it which is a bit frustrating as I want to read it right now lol... Such a great read, though, and it was really fun. It had me hooked pretty well towards the end, and I really enjoyed it. 

Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception ending spoilers

Hide contents

That last scene though - the way Kuon just incinerated the shadows - that was actually a bit scary, since she seemed to be mostly fun and friendly the whole time and never really showed a sense of "danger" like Atuy or Cocopo (XD). I really wonder if she was holding back all this time or something. And I really wonder how things will change in Mask of Truth with her gone. 

Poor Nekone though... 

That was actually a really good VN, come to think of it. 

Haha, indeed! I had my share of suffering, as I first watched the anime of Mask of Deception, then the game... and, finally, we got Mask of Truth.

Spoiler

Poor little Nekone is in for a world of sorrow....

I hope you don't have to wait for long, or you'll go crazy.

4 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Haha, indeed! I had my share of suffering, as I first watched the anime of Mask of Deception, then the game... and, finally, we got Mask of Truth.

Reveal hidden contents

Poor little Nekone is in for a world of sorrow....

I hope you don't have to wait for long, or you'll go crazy.

Would I like those games? I've been considering buying the two of them for a while, but I prefer romance over story and I'm not sure how console games deliver on that front.
(I haven't read spoilers, evidently)