What are you playing?

I enjoyed Koichoco too. Surprisingly - I didn't find Chisato annoying at all. Maybe I'm too softhearted, but I cried a little with her everytime she got rejected. Also it was nice to watch how her attitude somewhat changes between routes.

And how she was supporting Michiru in her route - which I played last

Actually I liked all heroines. And I must agree - Satsuki was great.

Edited by adamstan

5 hours ago, Ranzo said:

I think the next vn I play will be Sekien no Inganock -What a Beautiful People- as @MaggieROBOT suggested. She should be so thrilled.

Awawawawawa, I really hope you enjoy it!!! Their world was supposed to be so harsh, but seeing Gii and Kia's morning was always so chill~ And god, that art was so refreshing and cool! It have some problems with the last chapter and the fights, but it's a very good VN in the Steampunk series! :sachi: 

Is double-posting stuff here and on Reddit in bad taste? I don't really know how to look at it... Anyways, I'll do it this time:

I'm playing through Sunrider Academy (what am I doing with my life? :s) and so far it's... Not that bad, to be honest. It has exactly the trashy feel you would expect from an ecchi spin-off, but the dialogues and character development are done better than in the main Sunrider games. I've always thought that the heroines, other than Ava, were the weakest part of the whole series but here devs skipped the more irritating parts of the cast altogether and made the rest fairly appealing (apart from Asaga who I will never like because I hate the hyperactive/baka archetype). I've only started Ava route so far and I can't say I hate it - it's not at all serious, just like the whole game isn't, but it's fun to read and I like where the romance is going. Also, surprisingly enough, the game doesn't only rely on throwing blunt references to main games in your face, much of it is quite subtle and (borderline) smart. ;]

The dating sim mechanics are extensive and time-consuming at first, but they go much quicker when you get the hang of it (and even quicker once you max out the affection meters and don't get random encounters anymore). You probably spare more time on managing numbers than with the actual story content, but the amount of story the game offers is actually pretty impressive. The one problem I have with it (but it's the case with most DSims) is that there's no way to completely skip the busywork when replaying for other routes, I will probably just end it at two playthroughs, finishing Ava's and Sola's arcs - I don't care about Chigara and Asaga anyways, neither here nor in the main games.

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

13 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Is double-posting stuff here and on Reddit in bad taste? I don't really know how to look at it... Anyways, I'll do it this time:

I'm playing through Sunrider Academy (what am I doing with my life? :s) and so far it's... Not that bad, to be honest. It has exactly the trashy feel you would expect from an ecchi spin-off, but the dialogues and character development are done better than in the main Sunrider games. I've always thought that the heroines, other than Ava, were the weakest part of the whole series but here devs skipped the more irritating parts of the cast altogether and made the rest fairly appealing (apart from Asaga who I will never like because I hate the hyperactive/baka archetype). I've only started Ava route so far and I can't say I hate it - it's not at all serious, just like the whole game isn't, but it's fun to read and I like where the romance is going. Also, surprisingly enough, the game doesn't only rely on throwing blunt references to main games in your face, much of it is quite subtle and (borderline) smart. ;]

The dating sim mechanics are extensive and time-consuming at first, but they go much quicker when you get the hang of it (and even quicker once you max out the affection meters and don't get random encounters anymore). You probably spare more time on managing numbers than with the actual story content, but the amount of story the game offers is actually pretty impressive. The one problem I have with it (but it's the case with most DSims) is that there's no way to completely skip the busywork when replaying for other routes, I will probably just end it at two playthroughs, finishing Ava's and Sola's arcs - I don't care about Chigara and Asaga anyways, neither here nor in the main games.

I believe there is a VN mode where the actual work you need to put in is negligible.

8 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I believe there is a VN mode where the actual work you need to put in is negligible.

Well, the problem is that the "waifu mode" (sic!, they even kept that name for the lowest difficulty in Liberation Day, while the game basically had no romance - such a brutal lie :C ), while it makes the game more or less unlosable, leaves you with tons of mindless clicking through activities. That's probably even more boring than the normal routine TBH. And after the second playthrough, there's very little chance to stumble upon some non-route-specific event or anything interesting in general... So, yeah, I'm definitely not putting myself through more than two runs. :>

23 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Generally speaking, MoeNovel gets good licenses and then does a shit job with them from a translation perspective. They also remove adult content, by varying degrees, which gets a lot of people riled up, especially around here, but make no mistake: their translations range from merely bad to utterly abysmal. From what I've seen, A Sky Full of Stars is far and away their least bad release, so if you don't mind missing the adult content, and you don't mind merely kinda lousy writing, give it a try. But check out some fine screenshots from their latest masterpiece, Cross Channel (be sure to click through for more WTF):

A lot of this stuff is completely incomprehensible. Don't play Cross Channel. Don't play If My Heart Had Wings. A Sky Full of Stars might be kinda okayish.

Ah thank you very much - especially for the example pics...

19 hours ago, adamstan said:

Konosora/IMHHW is total mess, and it absolutely requires retranslation patch to be readable. Miazora/ASFOS is nowhere near that level. There are some grammar errors here and there, and some sentences may sound awkward, but it is readable, and I actually enjoyed it. As for all-ages version - this time the only thing removed are h-scenes themselves, but they don't try to hide that the characters had sex - they just don't show it, but it's implied that it happens off screen. All other things are left intact.

But, I just read one route - we'll see, how the other three turn out.

If you're not in hurry, you might want to wait for +18 restoration patch that @Infernoplex is working on, but I dare to say that steam version still can be enjoyable as-is (unlike IMHHW, in which only Kotori route was somewhat readable).

Thanks!

Well, it seems like it'd be a case of waiting to see what happens with the fan TL/restoration and then deciding from there. Will read something else in the meantime.  

Still playing Subahibi. As for my current progress right now I'm already finished with both of Kimika's branch, and already begin with Jabberwocky. What I can say is that too bad that both of Zakuro and Hasaki can't be get their own Wonderful Everyday at the same timeline, because of the spoiler reason that I'll explain later (You can already guessed what I want to talk about if you already finished Subahibi).

Edited by littleshogun

Finished AA: Dual Destinies.

I eventually got used to the 3D sprites so they don't look too weird to me anymore

The game's A LOT more handholdy now, I didn't need to use a walkthrough at all- they literally give you a "Notes" tab that tells you where you need to go and what evidence you need to present to peeps during investigations so that saves some hassle. Trials are much easier too, the lead character will usually have a giveaway inner monologue on what to do.

They took away the free-examining of the various backgrounds of locations and now you can only ever examine specific areas, usually the crime scene. Makes the world feel a bit more bland. You can also jump from one location to any other location (a -> d) instead of having to move linearly (a -> b -> c -> d)

Blackquill's a decent prosecutor. Liked his presence and story.

Detective Fulbright is a major flop though. Insanely massive downgrade from the likes of Gumdrops and Skye

Trucy just legit downgraded to background character, goddamn i felt sorry for her, she's only there to provide one-two liners if you even bother to visit Wright Anything Agency during your investigations 

Maya's still gone, wtf. At least Nick does take a moment to acknowledge her existence at least once this time around, last game there was absolutely no mention whatsoever. There's another Fey girl that makes a cameo as compensation though, and holy sheet she's so adorbs kyaaa

~~
Ep. 5 Turnabout for Tomorrow misc. comments/spoilers about Trials in general:

Spoiler

Maybe I'm just getting Ace Attorney fatigued, but while I overall did enjoy this last trial, throughout the game I constantly felt like the writers always came up short with what they were trying to do

All of the cases in general had plot twists you could see miles away, and relied too much on 'turning the trial around' once the protagonist realizes the whole case had a false premise (ie. Mayor Tenma is the Nine-Tails, not the victim) or proving the existence of a third person

Which is only natural I'll admit; if the defendant is not guilty of killing the victim, then there simply has to be a third person involved. The problem is you usually have a pretty good idea of who the culprit is and so the trials lose a lot of their flair when you're just going back and forth with the Objections just waiting to be able to call out this person to the witness stand

It's just a fundamental flaw with Ace Attorney's gameplay really- Finding out who the culprit is was never meant to be the main focus of these trials like it is in Danganronpa, there's really no mystery of whodunnit to be had here. It's about helping these characters find out the truth. Yes there's a difference. Danganronpa could get away with building their cases around finding the culprit because literally anybody can be the killer out of 16 students. Ace Attorney has to focus on building their cases more on finding the truth because there's only 1-2 people who can be the killer.

~~
Which is why Dual Destinies' Ep. 5- Turnabout for Tomorrow was damn right enjoyable, because the writers did a pretty good job with setting up the Phantom so that this time you have absolutely no idea who the culprit is- it could be anyone- even...Athena???, the current prime suspect??????

I kinda wanted to slap Apollo for his rather disgusting lack of absolute trust in Athena, unfortunately I couldn't sympathize with him going Yugioh no-arms-in-cloak emo style at all during this case because I knew jack shit about Clay and consider him fodder. Apollo's Clay dying has no effect on me as a reader compared to say, if Wright's Trucy died. Writers' fault for not at least putting Clay in AA4 for proper personal characterization.

But even I have to admit there were a few moments where I had just a TINY bit of "...what if she really IS the killer.......?" just a tiny bit...

Especially when you had to duke it out with Blackquill's Mood Matrix to find out wtf he was hiding, and then BOOM, you hear the dreaded "Mommy's broken, so I'm taking her apart to fix her" HOLY SHIT I GOT UNBELIEVABLE GOOSEBUMPS FROM THAT 
File:Bloody Athena.jpg

And getting to see the animation for Athena's Black Psyche Locks was so hype: Image result for black psyche lock gif

But yeah, Thena not the killer after all, in fact the Phantom was actually Fulbright, that actually did surprise me for once but yeah blah blah blah

Whoa, I'm on the last current game in the main series, time for AA: Spirit of Justice! I hear Maya's finally gonna backkkskdwjkl;fa1@#

33 minutes ago, ☆Ayase☆ said:

Trying my skills in Wagahai (´・ω・`)

You mean... Your English skills? There's only one other "skill" that could be trained with WagaHigh and it was my first thought before I saw your introduction and realized you're Japanese. :D

...I'm not jugding if it's that other meaning after all, of course. :sachi:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

You mean... Your English skills? There's only one other "skill" that could be trained with WagaHigh and it was my first thought before I saw your introduction and realized you're Japanese. :D

...I'm not jugding if it's that other meaning after all, of course. :sachi:

I'm sorry but I don't understand (;・∀・)

7 minutes ago, wei123 said:

How dare you (further) corrupt an 18 year old girl! :reeee:

:wafuu: I actually forgot that Wagamama has a Steam version. I would be surprised if Ayase's brother was only buying all-ages versions of his eroge though, the corruption might already be deep. :P

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

1 minute ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

:wafuu: I actually forgot that Wagamama has a Steam version. I would be surprised if Ayase's brother was only buying all-ages versions of his eroge though, the corruption might already be deep. :P

I'm region blocked from their website so I only have Steam but recently I noticed I can buy from Nekonyansoft though! (/・ω・)/

33 minutes ago, ☆Ayase☆ said:

I'm region blocked from their website so I only have Steam but recently I noticed I can buy from Nekonyansoft though! (/・ω・)/

I won't be surprised if they block it too in time, usually Japanese companies don't want to risk western releases being available on their own market, considering differences in pricing, sale discounts etc. 

BTW, Wagamama High Spec seems to be one of those rare Steam versions of eroge where hentai scenes cannot be unlocked with a restoration patch. It's interesting, because I've heard that the original version have TONS of them and it's unusual for Sekai Project to permanently cut those out. 

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

It seems to be slightly different exe version. All-ages steam version is bilingual (like steam version of Little Busters) - it allows to switch between english and japanese text. +18 version from Denpasoft doesn't have this feature.

6 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

it's unusual for Sekai Project to permanently cut those out. 

But sometimes they don't release a patch/dlc, but just separate +18 version via Denpasoft.

Edited by adamstan

Just now, adamstan said:

It seems to be slightly different exe version. All-ages steam version is bilingual (like steam version of Little Busters) - it allows to switch between english and japanese text. +18 version from Denpasoft doesn't have this feature.

I guess this makes sense, the Steam version is available worldwide as it's a different product from what was already available in Japan, while Denpasoft's 18+ version is exclusive to the West... Interesting, the inner-workings of eroge industry are super-intriguing sometimes. :)