What are you playing?

13 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

Picked up, or rather finally started Ace Attorney trilogy on my 3DS. Finished the first game, in the middle of Ep1 of the 2nd game, which is atm a shame because i expected Phoenix to start off veteran pro but nooo gotta blank slate him i guess for tutorial purposes? idk how long it will last but pls

• Pretty fun, I always enjoy doing them active mystery solvings <- hardcore Danganronpa fan
  • Cases did an overall good job of integrating all the characters involved- everyone feels important- and making you care for finding the truth -things get pretty srs-
  • Ema > Maya pls
  • Minor complaint is if you're marathoning the game, 3 investigative days on top of 3 trial days per episode can make things feel tedious. i hear the 2nd game does 2days/2trials so we'll see if i like it or not
  • Enjoyed the 2000s 8bit Gameboy Advance Capcom musics or whatevers, reminded me of Capcom's other Megaman Battle Network BGMs 
  • I did use a walkthrough towards the end srryz, mainly for the investigations cuz it's like where the fk do i go next and what the hell do i have to show to the next prick in order to progress ><
  • Miles Edgeworth image was unfortunately ruined because I knew @Mr Poltroon for like 3 years prior now and that's all who i could think whenever Edgey came on screen is friggen' Teegan from Versailles ._.

Ahhhhh, Eclipsed-chan, you're alive! I thought you were eaten by Flutterz or something (〃ω〃)

34 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

Picked up, or rather finally started Ace Attorney trilogy on my 3DS. Finished the first game, in the middle of Ep1 of the 2nd game, which is atm a shame because i expected Phoenix to start off veteran pro but nooo gotta blank slate him i guess for tutorial purposes? idk how long it will last but pls

• Pretty fun, I always enjoy doing them active mystery solvings <- hardcore Danganronpa fan
  • Cases did an overall good job of integrating all the characters involved- everyone feels important- and making you care for finding the truth -things get pretty srs-
  • Ema > Maya pls
  • Minor complaint is if you're marathoning the game, 3 investigative days on top of 3 trial days per episode can make things feel tedious. i hear the 2nd game does 2days/2trials so we'll see if i like it or not
  • Enjoyed the 2000s 8bit Gameboy Advance Capcom musics or whatevers, reminded me of Capcom's other Megaman Battle Network BGMs 
  • I did use a walkthrough towards the end srryz, mainly for the investigations cuz it's like where the fk do i go next and what the hell do i have to show to the next prick in order to progress ><
  • Miles Edgeworth image was unfortunately ruined because I knew @Mr Poltroon for like 3 years prior now and that's all who i could think whenever Edgey came on screen is friggen' Teegan from Versailles ._.

This is a joy to read lol.

AA2 is nowhere near AA1's cases in terms of tension or emotional stakes, IMO. Hope you enjoy it, regardless. I'll take a good long break and then I'll go back to play Trials and Tribulations, myself.

1 hour ago, Eclipsed said:

• Ema > Maya pls

Trials and Tribulations is on a whole new level as compared to the first 2 games so I'm sure you'll enjoy it once you reach there (though I did like the graphics for Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice more)

Dalia Hawthorne's a real bitch though.

Edited by wei123

16 minutes ago, wei123 said:

Trials and Tribulations is on a whole new level as compared to the first 2 games so I'm sure you'll enjoy it once you reach there (though I did like the graphics for Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice more)

Reveal hidden contents

Dalia Hawthorne's a real bitch though.

A question, if I may... On Android there seem to be AA5 and 6 + Investigations available from Play Store, should I look and play through the older games first if I want to grab those or can I just start with these newer titles without ruining my experience too much? 

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

9 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

A question, if I may... On Android there seem to be AA5 and 6 + Investigations available from Play Store, should I look and play through the older games first if I want to grab those or can I just start with these newer titles without ruining my experience too much? 

At the very least, you should start from Apollo Justice (the 4th game) but it's best if you start from the first game, since there are some references to past games in the newer titles.

Finished Marie's route in Dies Irae and can't help but feel awed by it. Kasumi's route and Kei's route were pretty good but Marie's route is on a whole new level.

The fact that Ren could form his Atziluth and defeat Reinhardt within 2 weeks is astounding. The fight between the 2 of them is also epic, to say the least.

If I am to compare Dies Irae to Fate Stay Night, Kasumi's route and Kei's route would be like Fate and Marie's route would be like Unlimited Blade Works. I have a feeling that the final route (Rea's route) will be like Heaven's Feel but we'll see.

Edited by wei123

12 hours ago, wei123 said:

Finished Marie's route in Dies Irae and can't help but feel awed by it. Kasumi's route and Kei's route were pretty good but Marie's route is on a whole new level.

Reveal hidden contents

The fact that Ren could form his Atziluth and defeat Reinhardt within 2 weeks is astounding. The fight between the 2 of them is also epic, to say the least.

If I am to compare Dies Irae to Fate Stay Night, Kasumi's route and Kei's route would be like Fate and Marie's route would be like Unlimited Blade Works. I have a feeling that the final route (Rea's route) will be like Heaven's Feel but we'll see.

I've just finished Rea's route. Boy, what a ride it has been. I've never felt this emotional since I last read Muv Luv Alternative; damn I even nearly teared up towards the end of the game. If Marie's route was epic, Rea's route was godly. Never in my whole vn reading experience had I ever witnessed such powerful battle scenes; it's truly a clash of the gods.

Truly astounding.

ren_true_form.png

ren_reinhart_karl.png

Dies Irae is very similar to Fate Stay Night in so many ways, the first being its battle royale theme and the second being its characters sharing similar traits: Ren wielding Marie is like Shirou wielding Saber; Kei is like Rin (the tsundere rival teaching the protagonist the basics and somehow ends up falling for him); Tubal Cain is like Berserker (the uncontrollable beast); Trifa is like Kirei (the fake priest); and Reinhard is like Gilgamesh (the guy who thinks he's almighty and all). Perhaps that's why I had such high expectations for this vn, so when I finished Kasumi's route, I couldn't help but feel disappointed, since it didn't feel like the full story was being told. Then I went on to Kei's route but there were still quite some things I couldn't quite understand. It wasn't until Marie's route that I started to feel that Dies Irae would be a 9/10 worthy type of vn (at least for me) and finishing Rea's route just a few minutes ago has pretty much solidified this feeling.

Words can't even describe how much I enjoyed reading Dies Irae - I think I may have a new outright 2nd favorite now.

Edited by wei123

36 minutes ago, wei123 said:

I've just finished Rea's route. Boy, what a ride it has been. I've never felt this emotional since I last read Muv Luv Alternative; damn I even nearly teared up towards the end of the game. If Marie's route was epic, Rea's route was godly. Never in my whole vn reading experience had I ever witnessed such powerful battle scenes; it's truly a clash of the gods.

Reveal hidden contents

Truly astounding.

ren_true_form.png

ren_reinhart_karl.png

Dies Irae is very similar to Fate Stay Night in so many ways, the first being its battle royale theme and the second being its characters sharing similar traits: Ren wielding Marie is like Shirou wielding Saber; Kei is like Rin (the tsundere rival teaching the protagonist the basics and somehow ends up falling for him); Tubal Cain is like Berserker (the uncontrollable beast); Trifa is like Kirei (the fake priest); and Reinhard is like Gilgamesh (the guy who thinks he's almighty and all). Perhaps that's why I had such high expectations for this vn, so when I finished Kasumi's route, I couldn't help but feel disappointed, since it didn't feel like the full story was being told. Then I went on to Kei's route but there were still quite some things I couldn't quite understand. It wasn't until Marie's route that I started to feel that Dies Irae would be a 9/10 worthy type of vn (at least for me) and finishing Rea's route just a few minutes ago has pretty much solidified this feeling.

Words can't even describe how much I enjoyed reading Dies Irae - I think I may have a new outright 2nd favorite now.

Damn. You gave it the same rating as me in the end. Dies Irae is truly a masterpiece in VNs and everybody should at least play it to experience it and form their own opinions. The battles are fantastic, the scale of the story is engrossing, the characters are all fleshed out and really enjoyable to read, and the plot overall, while not the most complicated thing ever, is just so goddamn well executed. I wish I could gush about Dies for a while longer, but this isn't the place to do it.

I've just finished Ebi-Hime's Blackberry Honey and it was... Painful. Part of it it was because I was busy last week and could only play the game in short bursts, which made it feel like even more of a slog, but it was still the slowest VN I've ever read. If got me hooked at some point, but Ebi herself wrote in the post-credits note that the idea was originally for a short yuri nukige and was re-written multiple times, before becoming a 10-hour kinetic novel. And it shows - the whole plot could be summarized in like 10 sentences without skipping any significant detail. It was written in nice prose, decently-produced and the romance had a pretty satisfying conclussion, but it was ultimately so ubelievably empty... :vinty:

13 hours ago, VirginSmasher said:

The battles are fantastic, the scale of the story is engrossing, the characters are all fleshed out and really enjoyable to read, and the plot overall, while not the most complicated thing ever, is just so goddamn well executed. I wish I could gush about Dies for a while longer, but this isn't the place to do it.

Is it anything like the anime, I literally laughed my ass off when the

big giant golden skulled thing the size of a tower block was attacking the MC, I just had to stop watching.

Oh and while I have you quoted, thanks VirginSmasher for suggesting Saya no Uta in Happeness+'s suggest a short VN thread. It was a truly thrilling and amazing read that I just couldn't put down. So sick and twisted, I was surprised at just how much I enjoyed it. The music that plays every time Saya is on screen as the early story unfolds is just so chilling and really helped convey a sense of unease.

I actually disliked the ending (Koji buys a single bullet) after having spent the few hours reading building a bond with the two, I guess, villain MCs. Though I'm missing some CGs so will go back for the other endings tonight. Hopefully there's a slightly happy ending, though it's bound to be twisted and hopefully related to Saya's reason for existing.

Cannot wait, but I'm in work right now! :rubycry:

3 hours ago, Trickay said:

Is it anything like the anime, I literally laughed my ass off when the

Reveal hidden contents

big giant golden skulled thing the size of a tower block was attacking the MC, I just had to stop watching.

I haven't watched the anime, but from the comments I've read online, it's nothing compared to the visual novel. Sort of like the Grisaia anime, I guess.

Edited by wei123

Thanks wei123, since I have up on episode six then I've probably not solved too much. I'll keep the game in my mind, but my back log is sooo big and my reading speed so slow I dunno when/if I'll get around to reading it. I remember looking at the kickstarter page and thinking the game looked like Hellsing and Fate Stay Night had a baby. 

Play Subahibi as the breather from Fureraba (I knew it's sounds ridiculuous), and right now I'm in the middle of 'It's My Own Invention'. What I can say is that I'd find that Takuji was quite a pervert with a lot of fantasy, and the story will give us a lot of ridiculuous thing (Maybe I better didn't question anything too much).

Edited by littleshogun

Moved on a bit from Family Project, I still want to at least play Aoba's route(you got to love that freewheeling hostility) It is kinda starting to feel really repetitive, and the strangeness is not really endearing anymore. Plus those jutting pointy chins man..I can't stand those things. If they brought their chin to their chest they'd probably impale themselves.

I'm playing Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate and so far I am enjoying it quite a bit. Strangely enough I don't hate Chisato even though she is Childhood Friend 2.0.

At least she's not Sumika...

Oh I also find it strange when Isara gives a little "Aha!" at the end of nearly every sentence. I tried to replicate it but it didn't come out sounding cute at all.:leecher:

On 4/9/2018 at 6:12 PM, Plk_Lesiak said:

I've just finished Ebi-Hime's Blackberry Honey and it was... Painful. Part of it it was because I was busy last week and could only play the game in short bursts, which made it feel like even more of a slog, but it was still the slowest VN I've ever read. If got me hooked at some point, but Ebi herself wrote in the post-credits note that the idea was originally for a short yuri nukige and was re-written multiple times, before becoming a 10-hour kinetic novel. And it shows - the whole plot could be summarized in like 10 sentences without skipping any significant detail. It was written in nice prose, decently-produced and the romance had a pretty satisfying conclussion, but it was ultimately so ubelievably empty... :vinty:

I'm surprised you have only just now played that, and I'm a little disappointed that it is such a slog

Finished Fureraba. It's not perfect (Character Design, overlong routes...) but still, it was a funny and heartwarming experience (with an endearing cast of secondary characters) :sachi: Since True Love, I was waiting for a Date-Sim as memorable as this :makina:

Girl Ranking : Rina = Misaki = (Mahiro) > (Mako) > Himari = (Tomomi) > Yuzuyu

Route Ranking : Himari (cool Childhood friend route) = Rina (smells like a good true route) = Misaki (SOOOO CUUUUTTTEEEE :Chocola: ) >> Yuzuyu (an unbalanced Tsundere : Too much dere, her change of behavior is too sudden, her backstory is a bit weak)

4 hours ago, Ranzo said:

I'm surprised you have only just now played that, and I'm a little disappointed that it is such a slog

With my neverending backlog even a "top priority" game might wait forever to be played. Especially because I have an unhealthy tendency to postpone more interesting to "when I have more time/can appreciate them properly". It actually might've been a good idea with this one, as it's simply way to slow to give you a satisfying experience when read in short bursts...

AA2 Justice for All was aight, but definitely these cases lacked the extra "oomph" that the cases in AA1 had, I guess because there wasn't really a prominent baddie nor was there any big case developing in the background like DL-6.

Pearls is just too adorbs, jeez the writers really can't stop shoving them Fey females in our faces huh >.>

Francizka(?) was waaay too overdone unfortunately, especially with the constant whippings and the foolishly foolish fool spamming. Good ending scene though :')

The drama b/w Nick and Edge was kinda weird, you get all this foreshadowing about choosing death and Nick getting mad at Maya for mentioning his name but then

Spoiler

Hey look, Edgeworth isn't "dead", he just had to take a vaca to reflect on what being a prosecutor meant to him, and Nick went all high skoo emoboy "Don't mention his name Maya! >:O!!!@#" because he was madz and thought Edgey was just running away because he lost his perfect win streak. Poor execution on this plotline is my complaint here btw.

Last case was pretty thrilling, if not a a bit too Hollywood-action-movie-glorified though

Spoiler

What?! Maya's kidnapped and so the kidnapper is demanding Nick to get a "Not Guilty" verdict even though the client Matt Engarde is guilty?!

WHAT?! The kidnapper is an assassin that did the killing for the Engarde?!?!

WHAAT?!!! Engarde's manager Adrian Andrews made us was waste trial day 1 where we tried to claim her to be the killer because she was the one who spent all that time tampering with the crime scene to frame the client so it must be her?!?!@!!! 

WHAAAAAT?!?@# The Assassin is (with morals b/w assassin and client), Shelly de Killer, and he's on the stand via walkie-talkie and lying trying to reiterate that Adrian Andrews was the one who hired him so he could secure Not Guilty for his true client Engarde?! ALL WHILE BEING ACTIVELY CHASED DOWN BY POLICE WHILE NICK AND EDGE TEAMWORK DEFENDER AND PROSECUTER TO STALL OUT THE VERDICT SO THAT DETECTIVE GUMDROPS CAN CAPTURE SHELLY AND THUS RESCUE MAYA AND THUS NICK HAS NO OBLIGATION TO DEFEND A GUILTY MAN?!@#@!$#$%$#^%&^*&*%$#%

AND THEN THE JUDGE SAYS GGEZ YOU ARE OUT OF TIME, AND GUMDROPS FAILED TO CATCH THE ASSASSIN, AND SO GGWP YOU GOTTA CHOOSE, WHAT BEING A DEFENDER MEANS TO YOU/NICK JUST LIKE HOW EDGEY HAD TO FIND OUT WHAT A PROSECUTER MEANT TO HIM: GO FOR THE GUILTYS AND LOSE MAYA, OR GO FOR THE NOT GUILTYS AND LOSE YOUR SOUL!$!!!!$%$#%$#$#@$

AND THEN FRANCIZKA!

You get the idea. A very thrilling case it was.

~~
Anyways I'm already on Ep. 4 of the third game AA: Trials and Tribulations, and wow they really did Mia's courtroom sprite justice, idk her regular sprite's face always had that weird tilt to it imo

Spoiler

File:Young Mia Hair Flip.gif vs     File:Mia Smiling 2.gif

"Pfft, that sprite over                                 "Hi i have to compensate for weird head angle by showing more cleavage"
there really does me no justice"

Prosecutor Godot is my favorite so far. His best sprite combination is when you best him in court and then he shakes his head, slides himself a mug, drinks from it, then spits. HILARIOUS.

~~

The fourth case is... REALLY hard, idk. Playing it right now. I'm pretty decent when it came to making connections and deductions with evidence, but when it comes to pointing out contradictions due to perspective it's like holy shit i got destroyed xD

They played with perspective a few times already like how can two witnesses:

Spoiler

can see the same victim, but one sees the vic running away to the right and the other sees the vic running to the left, and also how can a dude wear his HMD and earpiece and hold a coffee cup all on the same side left despite how contradictory it would be

But yeah this case is just LOADED with them. Goddamn the Dusky Bridge, man. Let's see, I'm pulling up the walkthrough now because JESUS:

Spoiler

latest (858Ã572)

1. Victim couldn't have run away on the bridge cuz it would've meant they would fall off since that side of the bridge was broken

2. Melissa/Dahlia couldn't have seen killer put victim in car because car should've been obstructed by the cliff where Melissa was supposedly at

3. Being pushed from bridge would mean Dahlia fell onto the bedrocks and died rather than the river

4. Being pushed off the side of the bridge not possible because the ropes too high

Yada yada yada Sounds ez when i just list answers and reasons but in the moment man these were friggen annoying FK PERSPECTIVE

/

So I finished Toritani's route in Sakura no Uta. The end was a bit sudden and there was certainly a bit of a lack of extra characters during the route making it just a tad bit bland for a first route. In terms of the story it was in my opinion fairly meh, with no real striking moments (though if you love pottery and French artists, sculptors (...) you have something to look forward to). I would definitely not go as far as to say it was bad, but perhaps just not my cup of tea, moving on to Rin's route now, to be honest I am not overly enthusiastic (I do not really like the character) but at this point I am kind of more interested in the backstory of the main character and his relation to Rin than their relationship now so perhaps it might just strike somewhat of a chord with me.

Edited by Weiterfechten

Just finished It's my own Invention and Looking-glass Insects in Subahibi and quite frankly speaking, they are both screwed up (though not nearly as disturbing as I thought). I have never been so infuriated at the protagonist, especially Takuji who's really quite clearly screwed up in his head (desk scene ahem). Aside from that though, I really like how they connect to each other, with the perspectives of both Takuji in Invention and Zakuro in Insects explaining the cause of 

Zakuro's suicide.  There's also this one scene in Looking-glass Insects which reminded me a lot of Down the Rabbit Hole II, where Zakuro and Yuki met for the first time in that arc. Somehow I'm getting this feeling that Yuki and Takuji are linked somehow (or maybe it's just Zakuro's delusion when she mistook Yuki for Takuji). Either way, it's a bit confusing so I hope this gets cleared up in the final 3 arcs.

anxiety.png

anxiety2.png

I also hope to know who the Takuji in the Kimika route of the Insects arc is because it feels like he's a completely different person altogether; almost as if he's possessed . My guess is that since Hasaki called him Tomo nii-san in that same route in Insects, that "Takuji" might just be her twin brother (who was said to have died according to Down the Rabbit Hole II) possessing the real Takuji.

Edit: I'm at Jabberwocky now and apparently this "Tomo nii-san" that Hasaki spoke of in Insects is actually Yuuki Tomosane, which leads me to the conclusion that Yuuki might actually be Hasaki's supposedly dead twin brother (though this is just a presumptuous guess). 

Edit 2: Looks like my theories are only half right. Apparently Takuji has multiple personalities , which is really lame since I had initially considered this theory, but decided to discard it since I thought it would had been too obvious.

In conclusion, now that the worst is behind me, I can now finally look forward to the good stuff.

Edited by wei123

Okay so I've finished subahibi. Phew, this was one heck of a thought-provoking game; I swear 90% of my brain cells are gone by now. I couldn't quite grasp the meaning of End Sky II, but after reading this explanation (with spoilers of course), I feel enlightened.

(The spoiler tag below has minor spoilers for Subahibi, Umineko, DDLC and Ever17)

So basically, subahibi's a meta game (?) Well, I'm not sure how I feel about this, since the only 2 meta games I've finished are DDLC and Ever17. However, what I can say is that it's quite unique , even among meta games.

P.S I've read that Umineko is actually quite similar to subahibi. Not sure how I feel about this since I've yet to complete Umineko. :vinty:

Edited by wei123