What are you playing?

Spoiler
5 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

I get your point, but if the ending wanted to be bittersweet so badly, couldn't they just make Takeru stay in the Alternative world and die there without ever getting reunited with his comrades? The way I see it, showing the old world where Takeru is no longer the Takeru we followed is rather pointless, because that world was supposed to exist anyway. The only difference is, as you said, that he has some faint memories deep inside. Not that it makes that big a difference if he will never remember anyway :amane:

Hmmm. I think, this type of completely downer ending would be even more criticized, to be honest. Whether it would fit the story, I don't know, I think it would. On the other hand, the main difference would be that this type of ending would still be completely predictable, as the one you described in your previous post. The actual ending is way more unpredictable. I'm not sure if that matters. Also, I'm pretty sure they wanted to leave an open ending where everyone would interpret it however they want to.

And, by the way, I wonder what the reaction of the Japanese fans about the ending was. I think, this is the part where the cultural differences would matter the most.

But then again, Alternative isn't really about it's ending, it's more about the journey that we take to get to this ending.

24 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

Oh I wasn't exactly referring to the tone, but the style. MLA is pretty dense, with a lot of info constantly thrown to your face what with military strategies and stuff :leecher: Yep! I read Grisaia and someone told me that Yuuji was based on the MC from Sharin no Kuni. More Yuuji is always good.

I actually waited for a while, but I'm getting impatient! Plus as long as the fan translation isn't terrible... It's not like the official translation is guaranteed to be better anyway :yumiko:

Reveal hidden contents

I get your point, but if the ending wanted to be bittersweet so badly, couldn't they just make Takeru stay in the Alternative world and die there without ever getting reunited with his comrades? The way I see it, showing the old world where Takeru is no longer the Takeru we followed is rather pointless, because that world was supposed to exist anyway. The only difference is, as you said, that he has some faint memories deep inside. Not that it makes that big a difference if he will never remember anyway :amane:

I played through the translation twice back in the day and I never really noticed anything bad about it.

Spoiler
4 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

The actual ending is way more unpredictable

Well I mean, Yuuko already made it clear at some point that even if he got back to his world he would "merge" with the other Takeru and eventually forget everything, so I dunno if unpredictable is the word. I think the ending is more accurately defined as a big troll :makina: It's like it appears to be happy, but it's not, and all the fluffliness and gaudy music and colors rub it in your face.

9 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

But then again, Alternative isn't really about it's ending, it's more about the journey that we take to get to this ending.

Yep, 100% agree. That's why I didn't bother ranting about the ending that much. For me it's not that important in this particular case. Weird, because the ending is often the cherry on the cake

Spoiler
1 minute ago, Thyndd said:

Well I mean, Yuuko already made it clear at some point that even if he got back to his world he would "merge" with the other Takeru and eventually forget everything, so I dunno if unpredictable is the word.

Hmm, I don't remember this very well, but she never said clearly that he wasn't going to remember the events of Alternative, did she? I guess, it makes perfect sense in the end, considering that Takeru lost his main goal in life and was overpowered by another personality, but to me personally this still came as a surprise.

Well, I guess I'll leave it at that. :sachi: I don't think there's anything more to say.

And, yeah, thank you again for sharing your experience with us. :) This was very entertaining to read.

I'm currently playing Tsujidou-san and it is quite enjoyable, yet very average in most things it does. The common route was quite entertaining with its cast and the comedy, but I've been playing Ai's route and it is a mixed bag, with there being some really fun comedy and certain events that I enjoyed, while there also being a lot of romantic filler and boring moments that plague it as well. That being said, I enjoy Maki quite a bit, so I can't wait to read her route. I've also heard good things about Renna's as well, so we'll have to see if it improves or not.

I finally decided it was time to bite the bullet grab my heart and complete rewrite. I only read Lucias route last time but It's time to finish it and after reading little busters reading the common route of rewrite again is fascinating.

Edited by bogdankl

About MLA's ending:

Spoiler

I think the ending is basically saying that "Maturity is only attained through suffering."

As such, Takeru erasing his memories "heals" his suffering. Thus, his maturity -his development- is undone. It made sense to me.

I felt it was a sensible ending. Takeru was never meant to be a leader or a soldier. He IS an insufferable idiot at heart. He's back home. 

In the end, he did somewhat save Earth in the alternative timeline. 

So, he chose to be happy over being mature. A respectable choice, in my regards. 

I didn't care much for the cast or the game (ML Extra is my most detested VN of all time) but I felt that the ending was appropriate. Like how it's depressing to see children mature beyond their years due to being abused or abandoned, Takeru was never meant to mature. 

I do feel that an ending focusing on overcoming loss and accepting your new life (Yuuko too dies perhaps and Takeru is unable to go to his old world) could've been more interesting, appropriate and narratively strong, but alas.

On 27/03/2018 at 3:01 PM, Dergonu said:

Alright, finished Kikokugai, and man, I loved it. The setting was really cool, the writing was fantastic, and the art in the remake is just... :Chocola:

Thank you so much Dergonu for mentioning Kikokugai, I was amazed at how well the world was explained for such a short VN. For the two evenings I spent reading Kikokugai the story certainly packed a punch!

On 01/04/2018 at 8:42 PM, Thyndd said:

MuvLuv Alternative finished!

Well, and that's it. And as always, thank you all so much for being there to exchange thoughts and impressions. It definitely makes this all the more enjoyable :sachi:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Thyndd, like you I agree that without fully reading Extra/Unlimited the reader wouldn't be fully invested into the dialogue of Alternative; and therefore not appreciate the overall message.

I did consider changing another favourite on VNDB to 9.9 to make MLA sit at the top in my list as it was a truly wonderful reading experience... except the two sleepless nights! :rolleyes:

oh f!!k

Spoiler

in the common route for rewrite chihaya mentions while talking about the sewing club that she is sick of needles, is this like some sort of foreshadowing that she was experimented on agent 47 style and that's why she is stupidly strong

also earlier when I got stuck in the infinite loop in the school with yoshino after they crashed in the club room before kotarou leaves the final line that akane says is that all that I've see before was probably a dream... they all know something... they all f!!king know don't they

if this is true this is the kind of subtle thing that I miss by skipping through all the read text while doing the next route. I'm kinda scared cuz I love all the girls in this vn, they are all 10+ for me and I'm afraid that... well I just hope this does not do something like the comyu main route did.

Edited by bogdankl

20 hours ago, bogdankl said:

oh f!!k

Hide contents

in the common route for rewrite chihaya mentions while talking about the sewing club that she is sick of needles, is this like some sort of foreshadowing that she was experimented on agent 47 style and that's why she is stupidly strong

also earlier when I got stuck in the infinite loop in the school with yoshino after they crashed in the club room before kotarou leaves the final line that akane says is that all that I've see before was probably a dream... they all know something... they all f!!king know don't they

if this is true this is the kind of subtle thing that I miss by skipping through all the read text while doing the next route. I'm kinda scared cuz I love all the girls in this vn, they are all 10+ for me and I'm afraid that... well I just hope this does not do something like the comyu main route did.

Fufufu you can't trust anyone. Yeah this was like the first Key VN that I played where I loved the whole cast. Usually there are at least one or two that I'm not crazy about. Not this time.

Oh so I finished Starlight Vega and I enjoyed it quite a bit, I thought the harem ending was really cute. I've started playing Family Project and I like it quite a bit. The cast are all really strange and it doesn't take place in a high school which is always a bonus for me.

Pretty much beaten Kyonyuu Fantasy 3, all that's left is the end game ero scenes. Overall I enjoyed it, though it started to show its story weaknesses in the final arc of the story...

Spoiler

Basically this is where the plot feels rushed, a little too similar to KF1's final arc even more so than KF2 did, and the villain is kind of dull. While he has better motivations than Highness and Alhif did in 2, he doesn't have quite the same amount of villainous presence that the others of the series have had

Playing some Eiyuu Senki, which is enjoyable in its bizarro history as ever, though I can't help but find it funny how late in the game the main plot kind of goes the way of Fallout 4.

Spoiler

Especially if you consider the turns as actual days it's kind of funny imagining things on Arthur's end.

Arthur: Oh my god, the big bad has completely taken over my mind and turned me and my best warriors evil! Oh, but I'm sure the Servant of Heaven will save us like he said he would.

(meanwhile) MC: Okay, let's get Nero's concert going! Then we've got that World's Cutest Animal Contest Himiko's organizing with Charlemagne, checking out a bakery with Napoleon, trying to find Musashi with Sasaki Kojiro and helping Vlad get her place cleaned. Still, I must not forget the most import thing after that...the ever growing list of booty calls :makina:

So, I decided to try another otome and started reading Cinderella Phenomenon (thanks to @Mr Poltroon for recommending it). And, actually, it turned out to be really good! I mean, it's definitely not the best VN ever, there are some noticeable issues with it (though all of them are really minor). On the other hand, it has interesting set of characters, especially the main heroine, good intrigue, nice world-building, and a bit naive, but still interesting story. I'm definitely going to finish it and write a more thorough reaction after that.

Strangely enough, for the first time in many months I feel like I actually want to read the VN I read and not to switch to something else. Do I need to switch to otome for some time, perhaps?

8/10 for now, it may go either way in the future depending on how they finish it.

2 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

So, I decided to try another otome and started reading Cinderella Phenomenon (thanks to @Mr Poltroon for recommending it). And, actually, it turned out to be really good! I mean, it's definitely not the best VN ever, there are some noticeable issues with it (though all of them are really minor). On the other hand, it has interesting set of characters, especially the main heroine, good intrigue, nice world-building, and a bit naive, but still interesting story. I'm definitely going to finish it and write a more thorough reaction after that.

*_* I was actually going to start this today! 

Still playing Family Project one of the characters is voiced by Satou Masayoshi, which is really weird because I can't help but picture Houzuki voicing some of these bizarre lines. It's all, very unnerving.

Edited by Ranzo

18 minutes ago, Ranzo said:

Still playing Family Project one of the characters is voiced by Satou Masayoshi, which is really weird because I can't help but picture Houzuki voicing some of these bizarre lines. It's all, very unnerving.

At least in Family Project we didn't have this Diao-chan here XDDD - beware of the brain bleach XDDDDD. And yes, for Diao-chan he did use his usual tone (Hozuki like tone).

6 minutes ago, PiggiesGoMoo said:

Do you have the MangaGamer version? I could do all routes all uncensored with their Acta Est Fabula

So it's best to go for Fabula? But I've read that Amentes has extra content, though I'm not sure how much.

Edited by wei123

4 hours ago, PiggiesGoMoo said:

Mangagamer's Acta Est Fabula has all 4 routes, I think that's all the extra content but maybe not

I think you are wrong. The Mangagamer package does include both verisons, I think? But Acta Est Fabula doesn't have the extra scenes from Amantes, and a common advice, from what I know, is to read Amantes first and the continue to Fabula if you need the h-scenes (that's how I will do it when I eventually start reading this VN).

@wei123

35 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

I think you are wrong. The Mangagamer package does include both verisons, I think? But Acta Est Fabula doesn't have the extra scenes from Amantes, and a common advice, from what I know, is to read Amantes first and the continue to Fabula if you need the h-scenes (that's how I will do it when I eventually start reading this VN).

@wei123

Much appreciated. Just skipped my way through Kasumi's route in Fabula and realized that there were 4 short not-so-important H-scenes which weren't shown in Amantes. Guess I will first complete Amantes

Edited by wei123

Finished Sorami's route in Tokyo Babel and...it was fine. The new villain was pretty good (still surprised my first guess as to his identity was right), most of the fights were really good and I did enjoy the buildup of her relationship with Setsuna. It's only when we get to the end where I have some problems:

Spoiler

First, Eve does not make for a very good villain. It's not because the reveal feels out of nowhere, but rather the reveal that she caused the whole calamity thing just doesn't feel as impactful as it should.

Second, the fight between Setsuna and Adam feels a little to long.

Third, Sorami just doesn't really do much in her own route after we meet Metatron; she spends most of the story from there kidnapped (and asleep). Comparatively, Raziel did more in her own route (not to mention this route), and while I get Sorami isn't a fighter at least in Raziel's route she did some support work here and there.

Picked up, or rather finally started Ace Attorney trilogy on my 3DS. Finished the first game, in the middle of Ep1 of the 2nd game, which is atm a shame because i expected Phoenix to start off veteran pro but nooo gotta blank slate him i guess for tutorial purposes? idk how long it will last but pls

• Pretty fun, I always enjoy doing them active mystery solvings <- hardcore Danganronpa fan
  • Cases did an overall good job of integrating all the characters involved- everyone feels important- and making you care for finding the truth -things get pretty srs-
  • Ema > Maya pls
  • Minor complaint is if you're marathoning the game, 3 investigative days on top of 3 trial days per episode can make things feel tedious. i hear the 2nd game does 2days/2trials so we'll see if i like it or not
  • Enjoyed the 2000s 8bit Gameboy Advance Capcom musics or whatevers, reminded me of Capcom's other Megaman Battle Network BGMs 
  • I did use a walkthrough towards the end srryz, mainly for the investigations cuz it's like where the fk do i go next and what the hell do i have to show to the next prick in order to progress ><
  • Miles Edgeworth image was unfortunately ruined because I knew @Mr Poltroon for like 3 years prior now and that's all who i could think whenever Edgey came on screen is friggen' Teegan from Versailles ._.